Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Unless she commutes from Tennessee to Texas every other day, I don't think this archery lady is our Miranda Leek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Kjoery posted:

The knife had a silver blade, obviously.

Actually, maybe it was a carney knife; it would make sense that his body would be impervious to everything except that made of carnival.

It was a +2 Bane Dagger of Coasters.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

List of grievous wounds, murders, and property damage
Calm down, Joseph. Can't you see Railrunner is just a lovable scamp?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

C'mon guys, Rodney's totally the hero. I mean, weren't you listening to his pathos-filled ramble in the introduction that we've just come full-circle to? He's trapped in this prison BECAUSE OF WHAT HE IS!!!

Delicious snark aside. Isn't that pretty much true? Most people would expect bloodthirsty, sociopathic murderers who go on a killing spree to be locked up given the chance.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Edit: No, actually this was a dumb comment.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 19, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I don't think she meant gravity control when Railrunner "descended up". I think she just meant they climbed up but wrote it in a roundabout way.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Phummus posted:

This sounds like a challenge. So lets all list our top 5 things we think couldn't possibly happen in the story.
Okay, hm. I think Dreggon's list got potential. With a few edits . . .

quote:

1. Detective Black becomes Shadowtrack
2. Mr. Calloway returns
3. The Wizard of Yendor Rodney actually uses the powers he got in previous chapters to defeat Ironwheel
4. Ironwheel is actually just a giant wheel
5. Rodney dies

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

How did Miranda come to think that “slaughter” is a heroic word?

She lives in a culture that glorifies violence, and like with other elements of her story, she straight copies tropes without ever thinking critically about them. She takes out a page from the modern FPS school of writing: bad guys are bad because I say so; there is no gray. It is easier for FPS to get away with this because of the medium, but for a book, it leads to stories like this.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I don't understand. This Railrunner guy is the worst. When the focus is taken off him for a mere second, he goes berserk. How can anyone mistake him for a good guy? So far, he's been a bigger antagonist than Ironwheel.

I haven't been paying attention, but has Ironwheel actually done anything that was, y'know, evil?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Is it me, or is Railrunner a bit of a coaster supremacist? And it beginning to seem as if everyone in Amusement Park Between are all just assholes. They can stand Railrunner because they expect a coaster to be an utter dickhead.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm telling you this place has a Jerk-Hierarchy. Rozrail was a bit of a jerk, but he was not a major rear end in a top hat, so everyone hated him. Just like Ironwheel. Ironwheel is kind of a nice guy in person, and he has everyone's best interest in heart. Thus, he is on the bottom of the Jerk-Hierarchy, so the rides resent his rule. You need to be a Grade A irredeemable piece of poo poo to have the respect and admiration of Amusement Park Between.

Also, JosephWongKS, Leek's use of the word situated is correct.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Is there some dictionary or thesaurus found in Tennessee which defines “twilight” as “as soon as the sun rises”?

Checkmate.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
^^^^^Yes.^^^^

Also, I'm with Rose Wreck. Lets not provoke her. We're all here to make fun of her lovely book and dismal writing. I think publishing and selling Bobbin's parody/rewriting would detract from that and be a little assholish to boot.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I refuse to believe this was written by an actual human being. I am now convinced that you are making this up. Someone would have to be a total sociopath to believe that these miscreants are actually good, moral people. They're all just so horrible. The story is just so bad. I'm offended by the thought that anyone would charge money for this horseshit. It is too cruel a thought.

Sindai posted:

This is a level beyond Mary Sue. I call it...Mary Two. :ssj:

Someone needed to go there. You're an honor to your country, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I finally see now. I assumed the default government system for Amusement Park Between was a jerktocracy with the red coasters as the de facto biggest jerks, but these last few chapters have made me rethink this assumption. Amusement Park Between is actually a monarchy with a strict caste system. It is obvious in this caste system that the Fallen are on the bottom. Ironwheel must've appeared one day and rejected that system in favor of a system that promoted equality and merit. The rides in Amusement Park Between probably reacted violently, forcing Ironwheel to start a revolution to create a system where his people, the Fallen, were freed from their oppression.

In reality, Ironwheel is a complex figure who liberated his people from the tyranny of the Red. The rides of Amusement Park Between views him as illegitimate because he put the downtrodden on top and has worked to dismantle a fundamentally unequal system that promoted oppression between the people. Even though he worked hard creating a government that protected their freedom and universally raised their quality of life, he is an usurper "mixed breed"; he is an inferior ride.

On another note, it is fun to see that Railrunner is as loathsome and stupid as he always is. I sure hope Captain Vick planned an ambush. Just trap that motherfucker and shoot him with his own gun.

• Locked thread