Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've read this book. The illustrations the author has done came up a "PYF wierd thing on DeviantArt", and one mentioned that there was a book out. I read the preview and thought it was a good drinking game book. However it proved to be too much for me. And it is the only book I've ever deleted from my Kindle and my Kindle library.

But it is good to see that there is still some fun to be had from it. The dramatic reading is a nice touch.

JosephWongKS posted:

I too wish I could forget this book by drinking. :smith:

I think anyone who has ever read that book wishes the same.

EagerSleeper posted:

I think Rodney himself is kind of a jerk.

comic quality is terrible, just like this book

This is exactly as I pictured it when I read that chapter. It's a nice illustration of just how much this book is about Rodney and how self-centered he is. It's the foreshadowing Miranda never intended it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I don't get this drawing, there is a limb beginning there but disappears, and then the rest of the body is just... hanging there.

John Lee posted:

Man, that coaster is a lot more gangsta than I had imagined. I bet that if it was animated, his rims would be spinning like crazy.

But what's more gansta than a hidden weapon of sorts?

and JSWK, have you read the entire book? I wouldn't really give her credit for changing the perspective between Rodney and Railrunner given the sins she commits later.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Is there a name for this style of writing, where you describe each individual step of the most mundane activities in the blandest way imaginable? Miranda Leek’s done it before in Chapter 1 when writing about Rodney starting up his car:

Nyaa posted:

I wish to know this too. This is the very reason I stopped picking up random books to read without recommendation. :smithicide:

I just skimmed a book Miranda should have bought, How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide. There this style is called Zeno's Manuscript, with a special version called "On my way to the scene". But googling those two phrases turns up nothing related to prose unfortunately.

And JWKS, you're in for a treat. Reading the story blind is something that can never be truly experienced again.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Oh my god I had totally forgotten about Thunderbark's mood-ring eyes. :ughh: Though I believe that it is never going to come up again, Miranda forgets quite a lot of things. But I don't know why Railrunner does not have them, because he is the hero of the story and all that jazz.

And just to let you know, if you think all those powers are all that Railrunner has, think again. :cripes:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Speaking of cartoons, I bet when Rodney will finally master his awesome powers he'll yell "I'M GOING COAST!" a la Danny Phantom.

:ughh: :cripes: :suicide:

You're so close, you're so so close you have no idea.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Yes. It was brought up in the "Strangest thing on DeviantArt" PYF thread. I read the preview and thought it was a great book for drinking games, then it proved too much for me once I got further into it. Twisted! is the only book I've actually deleted from my Kindle and the Amazon Kindle Library.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

No! Don't you remember that because of Rodney's hidden roller coastanthropy, he has been unable to get drunk at any point of his life?

:goonsay:

Nope, because his true form was not activated until he touched a roller coaster first time in his life. Which was when he was 38 years old. Who was always interested in roller coasters. So he was always able to be drunk until then. So he had planned to drink and drive before going to the bar.

I wonder what Thunderbark was really thinking. He "activated" his form knowing very well what would happen in the following night. But it wasn't until the day after that he gives him a warning to stay away from populated areas. But then again, it is very clear in the book that Miranda does not think things through at all.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

^^^ If you've only read what has been posted on the thread, you're in for more as the book progresses. You ain't seen nothing yet.

SSNeoman posted:

Detective Black is a badass. Demon rollercoaster on a rampage? He decides to take it on with a machete! :black101: at its finest!

Detective Black is truly a badass. If a rifle didn't work, it's machete time. And that's after he was stabbed and thrown into a tent. He became my favorite character in this roller coaster wreck of a book because of that, and that he was one of the few that dared to not agree/ally with Railrunner.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

attackbunny posted:

Why do all the roller coaster trains look the same? Railrunner, Thunderbark, and the purple one on the website've all got the exact same snout face. I've been on roller coasters made to look like Greased Lightning, mine carts, runaway trains, swarms of bug aliens, whatever. Miranda Leek's just so uncreative with her were-roller-coaster-trains.

I decided to check her DA account to see if there were any different kind of roller coasters.

This is the most distinct roller coaster there was:

So yes, Miranda is simply just uncreative.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not necessarily. Sometimes you just need some faceless mooks to show off how powerful your main character is, and if generic mobsters or gang members don't make enough sense, it's up to law enforcement to fill the role. This is, rightly or not, something well established in various media, and so it's possible that she got the idea from more than her own very, very odd subconscious. You could also consider the fact that Rodney is supposed to regret his actions at this phase since Miranda is rather mindlessly trying to evoke the tragic figure of the werewolf (who cannot control his savage behavior but is forced to live with the consequences), plus the policeman with a face, Detective Black, has so far not only managed to survive two direct hits from Railrunner, but also produced a rifle and a machete out of absolutely nowhere.

Unfortunately, Miranda is also presenting this plot on the eve of turning him into the Chosen One of the Mystic Realm which really doesn't mesh well with a tragic person vs. self plot.

:allears: I know exactly at what chapter you're going to change your mind.

Bonus Commentary

So, Merrylegs was exiled from a herd of other carousel horses because she was not a horse, but a fantasy being. Static was exiled from a pack of bumper cars because he befriended Thunderbark. Thunderbark lost his command over his elite squad of other wooden coasters because reasons. Spoiler character was made homeless by another never-appearing character because reasons. Railrunner is made exile from the human world because he is a roller coaster.

So everyone gets to have ham-handed tragic past! Which is basically "got exiled". I'm really not sure how this is really supposed to mesh and all that and feels so out of place with everything else.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

Speaking of special powers, we know both coasters and bumper cars can manipulate electricity, and on top of that, coasters appear to be apex predator of the (involuntary cringe) Amusement Park Between, with fangs and claws and blah. So what, if anything, can carousel animals do? (Chalk me up as another reader who imagined Merrylegs' running as more along the lines of the carousel horses in "Mary Poppins".)

Merrylegs has one special talent because she's a unicorn. And then there was one other carousel horse that is a herbalist/witch/fortune teller direct ripoff from Tia Dalma/Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean I believe. And that's about it.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Why are you apologizing for your accent? This is downright magical! I agree with Mercedes, the cat meow was just the cherry on the top.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Then they'll probably buy the book itself without reading the previous reviews and discover the craziness all by themselves.

And there's a new smilie in the forum, I don't know where it came from but it sums up the book perfectly.

:magical:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, most of the :wtf: seems to come from the author being lazy and thoughtless. You could say that about this whole thing really.

Talking about lazy and thoughtless, look at this:

I just realized what was bugging me about this picture. The thing is, he's wearing a coat. The problem is, there are four to six limbs that are under the coat. Someone makes this whole different monster kind of thing, then forgets all the real details about them.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sindai posted:

Did Leek ever explain what "bending" means or does she use it as though it's a general term?

She considers it a general term. I have only heard about Avatar so reading about "bending" all I could wonder just what else she could rip off from, and would she be as blunt as this.

I never thought then I would wish she would be as subtle ripping off things as she did with bending.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Story spoilers related to discussion: Maybe to help figure out how all that would work, roller coasters are venomous, but their venom is only stored in their two main fangs, not the other fangs or their claws. So not only is this book a hilariously transplanted werewolf story, it's also hilariously transplanted vampire story!

And about that :nms: thing, she's nothing but a fuckdoll. Not a single line in her bio describes her out of context of either being sexy, or not in relation to Railrunner. She's nothing if it weren't for Railrunner.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Well, I was looking for some material from my next guest review, and while looking I ran across this on Miranda's DA journal:

quote:

A new, revised and updated version of Twisted will be out this coming summer :) The cover will be changed, the ugly interior illustrations are scrapped and replace with spot illustrations, and though the story won't change - there is going to be a major facelift to the text with edits and a few added content! So, if you are thinking about reading Twisted, just wait until the new version is released, don't buy the ugly thing that I did years ago.

So the picture linked earlier is probably going to be the cover of the new edition. And JWKS, you were unlucky, had it been only few months later you would have read a story about a powerful, magical destiny-bound were-rollercoaster train while not suffering the multitude of grammartical and spelling errors.

And the story stays unchanged. Given that Shadowtrack has consistently been portrayed as "Nothing without Railrunner" I doubt that the changing story includes somewhat revised characters.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Miranda is lazy. That whole thing with thugs robbing Clare is just one of it. Though that incident is worth remembering in the long term.

But for an another example of her lazyness, I would like you to see this image:

This is from the night before, where Railrunner changes at the carnival. Look at that goddamn moon. Unless this story takes place in the southern hemisphere it's waning. And even if it were waxing it would be still few more days until the full moon.

It's just telling how little research went into the book other than some random amusement park rides facts.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Kjoery posted:

Honestly I'd much rather see a drawing of a bloodied Detective Black leaping at a roller-coaster with a machete.

Ask and you shall receive.

Got a non-SA friend of mine, Coydog, to draw this for me. I guess I'll have to give my friend some massive load of booze in apology.

Also this conversation followed:

Coydog: It's actually worse than Miranda's
Iced Cocoa: I know, but who wants to put some effort into drawing her stuff?
Coydog: That's all the effort it deserves.

Edit: JPEG artifacts because it was breaking tables. Original here

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 15, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

Where did I put my Sketchbook... loving A, these characters are hard to draw!

This is exactly what I deserve for trying to give Railrunner more reasonable anatomy. There was no saving Clare.

I think you managed to render Clare just perfectly :magical:

And JWKS, it might be time to put stuff in your currently empty contents post.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Now bullets “only bounced off of Railrunner’s hide”, but a few minutes ago a blindly-thrown knife managed to puncture him in the chest. :psyduck:

I think this has to do with movie logic. Of course bullets will bounce off metal as shown in the movies, but in order to show that Railrunner can be vulnerable in some way, he has to get stabbed. It doesn't matter for Miranda that knives will also bounce off metal, but it seems that only when it comes to bullets Railrunner's skin is metal.

Because how else is your precious mary sue going to look cool because bullets have no effect but still have some sort of vulnerability just so that you can claim that your precious mary sue is not invincible, totally ignoring the healing factor.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Chapter six:

quote:

“This unusual coaster took many victims on the night of his raid, including five police officers. One of the survivors was bar owner, Geoffrey Callaway. I was pinned in the wine fridge, and it was slashing trough the metal door! Calloway said. It destroyed the whole bar! He continued as he waved his hands in the air. Another event that authorities believe the coaster committed; was the slaughter of a local farmer’s bull. It was sucked dry, it was nothing but bones, but I remember seeing a pair of bright red eyes”

Chapter nine:

quote:

He then heard footsteps behind him, he grinned to himself. You’re in for it. He then looked up and at his stalker. It was a swat team member. Blood dripped from his jaws as he stared at him, his eyes full of hatred. The man aimed his gun at Railrunner, who reared backward and extracted his claws. Then he charged as a juggernaut at the succorless man. Before the swat team member could fire, Railrunner’s claws pierced through his chest. He fell with a soft thud on the concrete. Railrunner snorted in disgust then he turned and saw, Clare.

I'm pretty sure that in chapter six his kill count was at least six (five officers + undetermined number of civilians which is at least one) And I'm sure that the SWAT guy is dead.

Also, Have fun counting the destruction he'll do after he gained control of his roller coaster body. That list will come in handy.

JosephWongKS posted:

List of damage caused by Railrunner

Chapter 9

10. Ran through the carnival, destroying nearly everything in his path, from toppling over small rides to completely obliterating food stands

I would like you to remember this.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 16, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So, why is Railrunner a beast when he's changing? Wasn't he supposed to be able to get the beast under control after midnight of the night of the next fullest moon?

My guess is that it's a justification for the bite. Because with the bite, and the "accidental" concussion beam, this whole chapter, the sane Railrunner never directly attacked the police. There's also this paragraph: "Remaining men came out of hiding. They began to fire once more. I charged and flipped over their cruisers, flattening some of the unfortunate." Which still makes it look accidental if those "unfortunates" were police officers.

This is still very contrived justification for that whole thing. Railrunner has willingly put others in the situation where they would face his were-roller coaster side, for instance the thugs from Chapter 11 and with the police this chapter. He doesn't care to keep the beast under control, so him and the beast are one.

And yes, this is the first time the reader gets to hear about the concussion beam.

Detective Black is still kicking rear end :black101:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Apparently, being an all-American designed and built attraction, Railrunner's key weakness is from materials manufactured in China, Mexico, or other foreign nations. I guess that explains why bullets bounce right off while knives can slip right in.

Extra stuff!

Where I shed some more light into what's going on without spoilers.

After that picture of ultrasound Railrunner, we have reasonable doubt that this could be the case.

However! It is very relevant to what's going on in the background. Railrunner's bio states that he came to be in 1972. Because if there is one thing Miranda researches, it is roller coasters. Because what's really thought of as the second golden age of roller coasters was the opening of Kings Island in 1972, which featured the roller coaster Racer, which was doing things that hadn't been done before with roller coasters.

However, one is coincidence. So let me tell you about number two.

Miranda Leek posted:

This is Firetrack, a red roller coaster that lived 70 years before Railrunner, and is considered the greatest red (besides Railrunner) of all time. He was stern and persistent - an ideal red. Firetrack was the second red coaster to be born in Between(1905) and lived till he was murdered unexpectedly in 1932 - leaving behind a legacy that all reds after him have tried to match.
When he was King, Firetrack lived in the Ragnora mountains with his mother within the Lost Soul's lair. He ventured all over Between taking care of things but then always returned home to manage Between in privacy or train the elite team of Icecoasters among his other tasks. Soon he fell in love with Pheonixwing, a little orange coaster that worked in a bakery, and married. Firetrack loved the little coaster endlessly for she eased his stress (running Between is no easy task!) Years later, Darkrail returns to Between and in a heated battle, Pheonixwing is infected with "vertigo" (a deadly disease that Darkrail uses as a plague - will get into much later) She falls ill and puts Firetrack's stress and levels of concern through the roof. For three days, he remains by her bedside, taking care of her until the morning of the fourth day when Pheonixwing passes away. Angry, upset, and extremely troubled, Firetrack falls into depression. Blinded by rage and revenge, he seeks out Darkrail only to be slaughtered on the spot. His unexpected death shakes up Between, but no one knows a secret that Firetrack took to his death - one that will change Between and finish what he started.

This isn't really spoilers, except what's in the spoiler tags. This is the prelude of the sequel of Twisted! named Vertigo.

The Great Depression lasted between 1928 and 1933. There is no coincidence that "The Greatest red (besides Railrunner)" died in that timeframe. The Great Depression hit amusement parks hard. In 1930, the number of amusement parks in the US was 1800-2000. By 1935, that number dropped down to 303. Despite the fact that the depression was officially over then, the number of amusement parks continued to dwindle until 1939, then numbering only 245. It's around that time that it is considered that the golden age of amusement parks ended.

Source: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/early_1900/depression.shtml

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 18, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

I tried looking for Miranda Leek's Vertigo on Amazon, but can't seem to find it. Is it available for purchase anywhere?

No, it's not out yet.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that she had already written it, but was waiting for the edited version of Twisted! being published before she would publish Vertigo. Maybe in some comment I managed to read.

But at least there is a lot of information online about what happens in Vertigo. She had drawn spot illustrations from it and put on DA, with description of what happens in each scene the illustration is set in along with in which part it is in. So the structure of the book is done. Maybe I'll try to compile all those snippets of scenes together for one big effort post later, because I doubt Vertigo will be published before this thread is over.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

attackbunny posted:

I'm actually pleased about this because before I knew that Railrunner's coaster mum is called Angeltrack and that his coaster fuckdoll is called Shadowtrack. At least now I know that it's just unoriginality rather than an Oedipus complex.

I hope you manage to stick around until the final chapter of this book. :allears:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So far any of the killing Railrunner has done when in control has all been situational and not direct. indicated by Third Person Narrative. It's simply a device to help the reader to disassociate Railrunner with all the killing.

He bit an officer while in third person, but when in third person he accidentally fired off a concussion beam, a cop shot at him only for the bullet to bounce back at him, and he flipped those cars only in an attempt to escape.

However! It does not absolve him from responsibility. When he has been in first person and human, he has deliberately put himself in the sort of situation where his "beast" in third person would destroy everyone around. There was the thing with the robbers, and now with the cops.

This is a recurring theme in the book. Given how often Miranda has changed perspective it isn't spoilers that it will happen in the future. But it might be worth it to look at just when the narration goes away from First Person from the perspective of Railrunner.

And JWKS, those lists are marvelous. And they're going to get longer. Though you missed two powers, both in chapter 12.
1) Can change at will if wearing the Augu Ra
2) Can move between the worlds when wearing the Augu Ra

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of that, shouldn't Railrunner's powers to "Predict when things will happen, except death" and "Sense trouble" have allowed him to avoid being found by the police in the first place, let alone being captured by Detective Black's electro-net?

Already there are at least two powers on the list that have been totally forgotten and will never come up again.

Kjoery posted:

Black
Paranormal Detective
Book V: The Deadly Ride

Now I know what to write next NaNoWriMo. Though it might be just Book 1, because trying to write Twisted! from another POV might be too much for my sanity.

Edit: Forgot yet another power of his, remotely break class in chapter 4.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 19, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

This, this is the chapter where I snapped. I had expected him to work on something small, like the lock of his chains and cell. And then he tortures a mouse to death. And he kills gives minor injuries to Black. Now Railrunner has no excuse for his actions.

This marks the first deliberate non-accidental kill of a human made by Railrunner in first person. The rest of the chapter is too vague to mark a killcount. But it doesn't mean that the rest of the book will be as vague.

JosephWongKS posted:

NO NO NO NO NO! NOW HE GETS loving BLOOD-BENDING ON TOP OF LIGHTNING-BENDING AND METAL-BENDING? THIS IS BULLSHIT! MIGHT AS WELL GIVE HIM ENERGY-BENDING WHILE YOU ARE AT IT!

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

There is at least one more Bending power left in the last chapters of the book. And it is Glorious :allears:

JosephWongKS posted:

List of Railrunner’s powers

Chapter 15
23. Bend blood
24. See in the dark

25. Heightened sense of smell (used to find an exit of all things)

Goddamnit. I knew this would happen, but I didn't expect I'd be so literal about it.

I hadn't expected it as well. Because I was kind of expecting some kind of literary device where Black was sort of equal to Darkrail if not the same person, so having Railrunner be just slightly annoyed by Black, who is comically evil, and then dispatch of him like no big thing, it didn't say good things about the final climax of the book.

quote:

I took a shortcut through the woods. It felt like the night I spent with Clare, but after this night, those days were over. Never again would that be a reality, only a dream. I ran to the edge of a cliff. It was the one where you could see every bit of Huntersville. I scanned below, within no time, I spotted the history museum. In the brambles behind it, were Thunderbark and the gang. I threw back my head and howled like a wolf to signal that I had arrived. I could feel that Thunderbark was happy as could be. And so was I.

I can't believe no one caught this yet.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

These guys have blood-bending, metal-bending, fire-bending, lightning-bending, super-strength, super-agility, immunity to bullets and healing factor. I really, really don’t understand why they are so afraid of being discovered by humans or why they spend so much time and effort trying to hide their existence.

“Invade” =/= “Capture” or “Arrest”

I think she really meant "Invade" here. Remember when the only way to go between the worlds required Firinium? Don't worry if you forgot, because Miranda forgot too. :downs:

I believe that this is a kind of a trope. Human invading fantasy land to take over everything. At least it is kind of familiar. There's the history of witchhunting, throughout several fantasy books all fantasy creatures or people with magic have been afraid of regular humans. I believe Frankenstein to be the earliest example of it, where the pitchfork brigade really makes its appearance.

Though why I feel it like this is the case is kind of hard to grasp for me. I've been trying to find examples for humans destroying or enslaving fantasy worlds but it kind of falls short. Maybe it's more like how the industry of humans is killing the nature and all that somehow translated over to this mess of a book. If anyone knows a bit more about this sort of thing please tell me.

And also:

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter 16
26. Shrink at will to fit into confined spaces
27. Control gravity so that they can "descend up"
28. Breathe “icy mist” that reveals infra-red sensors
29. Walk on walls and ceilings
30. Fall and land quietly on their wheels

This is Thunderbark's power, not Railrunner's. Don't worry, Thunderbark will give his very stupid reason for why that is so later.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 21, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

And here Thunderbark has apparently changed his mind about Railrunner being in love with a human. In fact, in the last chapter it is he who brings up seeing Clare before they leave. Why is Thunderbark suddenly approving of the relationship now? Did Railrunner manage to change his mind in the same part where Thunderbark tells Railrunner about the concussion beam power?

Next chapter is going to be Amazing :magical:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

:spergin::science: Time!

Oh god I've been watching too much Mythbusters.

What I've always wondered was much energy it would really take to bring Railrunner to 200 mph, all 20,000 pounds of his, but I've never been good at physics to find the right formulas for that, all of them seem to be about acceleration. I do though remember a similar discussion here about a gigantic dragon in Christian Humber Reloaded, I think the results of that physics discussion was that in order to get the dragon flying a city would be leveled.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

attackbunny posted:

ETA: rollercoaster butt shot

Is he hugging himself? I tried replicating the hand thing and all I got was some strange hug thing from it. Usually when I cross my arms I somehow tuck one arm under the other. How can you mess something as simple as crossing arms?

JWKS, please come with the next chapter, we're getting so desperate we're talking physics and bringing whatever stuff that's in Miranda's gallery.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Welp, I'm out of myths to bust bullshit to point out, any ideas?

Perhaps just what force is exerted by a roller coaster to bring down prey?

http://railrunnermiranda.deviantart.com/art/Roller-Coaster-Anatomy-Fight-268569239

quote:

Hunting:

Twisted roller coasters are skillful hunters.

Generally, when hunting, roller coasters are MORE violent than in battle, driven by hunger...

It can take down any size prey.

Roller coasters hunt similar to the big cats, stalking prey and masters at tracking.

Silent on their wheels and light footed.

Roller coasters prefer hunting with just themselves and not weapons. They LOVE the trill of the hunt.

Coasters take down prey quickly, but sometimes feels the need to play with their food before killing it.

Can smell blood for miles

Roller coasters have distinct footprints.

When hunting, the coaster's primary targets in taking down prey is the neck and throat.

Roller Coasters will never hunt other rides since they live in harmony with them. Only animals.

Twisted coasters love the scent of blood and are usually covered in it after hunting. (They fancy the taste!)

With a strong bite force of several tons, they can tear off huge chunks of meat from a carcass. They can rip muscles easily and chew through bone with ease.

Coasters can consume as much as an elephant in a setting.

Reds have the biggest blood lust of all coasters.

So, if a roller coaster moves at the top speed of 200 mph to bring down prey, will he even need to bite/slash the prey to bring it down when he connects with it?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

And here we get to find out that Merrylegs is a unicorn for the first time in the book. We find that out when she's stabbing people with her horn. Maybe there was a reference to her lion-like tail earlier in the book.

So much destruction, so much death. Every single one of team Railrunner is a bastard with no regards of human life whatsoever, and those are the heroes.

And JWKS, you can add the destruction of the ferris wheel on that list, it will come up later.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I am loving the fanfictions that are arising from this thread. Goes to show just who is the real hero of the book. And I like it because Black is my favorite character, probably because he died before becoming too abhorrent for any to like him.

Well, for birthday I managed to get a book which is basically Twisted! with werewolves, except the whole fantasy world, and much better spelling. It's not out in English, and I hope it won't be. Guy who discovers he's a born werewolf, has bad tempers because of that, loses control and and attacks, mentor type + others reel him in, final confrontation and of course there is this girl and they're so much in love with each other and it turns out that she's a werewolf.

And the advertisement blurb for the book? "If you liked Twilight and the Hunger Games, this is a book for you!" Zero anything that could resemble Battle Royale, ham-handed romance, and the main character is a man? Feels more "Oh poo poo we printed too many copies before we realized this book is poo poo, buy it!"

What would a blurb be for Twisted! ? "Nothing you've seen before!"

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare I am loving your ~*~Fanfiction~*~ which is leagues better than this atrocity of a book.

Too bad I am going to have to point out that the next incident was at a carnival, not at Mystic Park. Despite being just a carnival they still managed to have a portable roller coaster with them.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Bonus 2: This barely legible poster says Miranda published Twisted when she was 16. The Amazon page of the book claims she wrote it "with the tender age of 17". :psyduck:

She just recently celebrated her 21st birthday. I think the deal is that she published it at 18 years old, but began writing it when she was 16 or so. And I think in one of her previous Q&A she revealed she had the idea when she was fourteen.

Now, what could exactly spark the idea of anthropomorhpic roller coasters? She was apparently reading about them or something, and found out that in order to find micro-fractures invisible to the naked eye, roller coasters were ultra-sounded.

So for her, ultrasound = pregnancy. Hell if I'm going to link that ultrasound drawing again.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

quote:

“Good, now there are some rides you should know about. The worst of all the rides. They are the ones, who were either destroyed or were involved in a deadly calamity. They are known as The Fallens.”

Fallens, that suited them well. Like angels cast down from heaven for their errors, becoming damned souls cursed to walk the earth living a life of evil. Fallen rides were living in their own personal hell, forced to take out their anger on the ones who did them wrong. Just like fallen angels.

This part, this goddamn part broke me. I actually went back to chapter 18 at that point just to be sure that Railrunner destroyed a ferris wheel. He did destroy a ferris wheel and created a Fallen in Amusement Park Between. It's his fault.

And he'll never see it. He created a demonic being who will never have any thought other than to oppress and torture other rides, while how it was destroyed was beyond its control. What the gently caress is this morality system? How does it even work? No chance at salvation for situation out of your control? While Railrunner "toppled" over few other rides while at the carnival, that Ferris Wheel will come up again. Notice how Railrunner has not a single thought towards his destruction in the carnival or destroying the ferris wheel. He doesn't care one iota. Miranda doesn't care one iota that Railrunner created a demon. He's loving blaming it on being destroyed and turned into a demon!

:suicide:

That ferris wheel appears later in the book, and there we'll see how he feels about destroying it.

Edit: drat it do not ask Miranda those questions. The only sane question spawned from this thread that could be asked is the proper timeline of the whole "thought of/began writing/published" given that there is so much conflicting information anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

"Here, take this trenchcoat to cover your 20 foot long body in this world where no one is seen with clothes!"

Don't forget to add "Unlimited energy when in APB" to his powers!
It's funny, I considered to add "Defunct Physiology" to my power bingo, but I was like "Nahh, no way Miranda would make him that obviously overpowered!". Wait, that's not funny, that's loving stupid.

I can understand Rollercoasters eating – trust, me Miranda has this whole digestive system very well thought out – but there is no reason for Railrunner to continue eating, at least not in Amusement Park Between. If he has an infinite energy source to maintain a constant concussion blast, he should be able to go on forever.

And a huge spoiler to this atrocity, at least for those who have never gone to Miranda's Deviantart Account.

Spoilers!

Don't get me started on the digestive system. I was going to do a writeup on it later but what the hell, since you brought it up.

They don't poop.

Instead of a colon or a butthole of any kind, there is a furnace. Where every "waste material" is put in and it is converted to energy that radiates throughout the body of the roller coaster. Another non-SA friend of mine watching this thread commented that to do that they have to destroy the very atoms to convert matter into energy in that manner, as both fusion and fission always leave a mass of some matter.

• Locked thread