Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thanks for the shout-out. :glomp:

My pack is just my plugin folder gathered over a period of... poo poo, ten years now? My caveat for anyone who uses it is that there is literally no organization at all and some of the buildings don't work. It's a mess that was never intended for public view, but people requested my plugin folder so there it is. Buyer beware!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

32 is fine, it won't use any of the fanciness from 64. It can't even handle multiple cores.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Currently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have you set it to single core? If it's trying to run on multiple cores it'll crash like hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You have to get used to some chugging. SC4 does not use modern hardware very well. It never ran well and the improvements in computers haven't helped all that much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nutranurse posted:

What region is that. I want it now.

Seconded, that's a beautiful region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That graphic glitch is really weird, I don't think it's my plugins. I've never seen anything like it. I have no idea what could cause it though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Gotcha, just making sure I didn't download some cheaty always max demand thing

Nah it's not cheating, it just adjusts the way the game works. You'll get used to the new demand graph after you play with it a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

boji posted:

I'm using the awesome region linked in the OP, but when I go out to region view, all my cities look like flattened green nothing.

Any fix for this? Apologies if it's already been addressed elsewhere.

edit: Somehow the problem resolved itself, hooray!

If you alt-tab or click out of the window while it's saving+exiting, the region view will be a flat grass tile. The city is fine. But you have to wait for it to save and go to region view before you go out of the SC4 window if you don't want to gently caress up region view.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When you download them, they usually are labeled grow or plop (or growable/ploppable). Landmark too. The packs are all going to be mixed, but you might be able to search for plop and landmark and take out those files or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And on single core it (usually) doesn't crash very often.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're doing them gamey, connect high traffic/long distance routes. Like cross-town to work or something, look at the traffic map and build appropriately. If you're going for realism look at how highways are used in the kinds of cities you're emulating and run 'em all around the region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The crash thing is if you hover a puzzle piece over a transit-enabled building, like a rail station. Build all your puzzle parts first, then add the stations after and it shouldn't crash. And save frequently while doing any puzzle piece stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Remember that my pack is literally just a dump of my plugins folder that has never been organized or managed in any way. It works fine for me but it's not intentionally assembled like the Old Fashioned pack, so god only knows what's going on in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Good lord. How many city tiles are on that?

I really want to see the King of Sperglords do an incredible fantasy Japan on that map.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KillHour posted:

So that means you're going to do it in your LP? :haw:

I am merely the Prince of Sperg at best. Like a fifth to the throne prince. Have you SEEN the SC4 community? :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not that the game doesn't work without NAM, it's just less realistic and doesn't work as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nice job with the projects, I've always had trouble getting a mass of them to grow like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you don't have to gently caress with any of the extra stuff if you don't want. Just having the traffic fixes will improve the game immensely and requires no setup or knowledge. You can dig into the other stuff later if you feel like it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Poizen Jam posted:

Also the high rises above 10 levels in the rural zone looks completely out of place.

Depends what style you're going for. It's totally normal here in Korea. There are small towns that are basically just a small cluster of 30 story apartment blocks surrounded by farms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. This isn't a great example but vaguely what I mean.

50 million people in a country the size of Indiana that's like 80% mountain makes for some interesting urbanization patterns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I rediscovered a guy I knew a long time ago who is doing a podcast about urbanization, I've been listening to a shitload of it lately. Might interest other SimCity nerds. http://blog.colinmarshall.org/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some of the landmarks increase land value and mayor rating in a radius around them, basically like bigass parks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The new city game by the Cities in Motion studio is looking good. Their last video showed a feature I've been wanting for ages, you can set different named districts in your city and give them different ordinance policies.

The public transit is more complex too, as I was hoping given their background. Bus routes. :fap:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Goddamn, I never had any crash issues before and now I'm playing again and it's going down all the time. Argh this game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have been doing that for years. The voodoo that runs this game is off, I need to sacrifice a chicken or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

It's mad because you haven't updated the LP for so long.

(Really, though, did anything change in your system at all since the last time you played?)

I was trying to update! :smith:

I'm pretty sure I've had to update video drivers to make other games work. I can't really roll those back though. I'll mess with the render options and see if one works better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It won't even start at all anymore. :eng99: It sits there in my task manager slowly eating up memory, but no game.

E: Oh wait there it is, just took literally 25 minutes to start. What the poo poo. I really hope the sim the Cities in Motion guys are making pans out. I love SimCity 4 but it is a programming mess, a functioning replacement would be wonderful.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's large but two days ago the game loaded in three minutes so there's something else going on. Didn't crash all day though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I started updating my LP again, for anybody who rightfully abandoned it and is interested.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody used the rice fields? I can't place multiple at the same time like other parks, I have to reclick in the menu every time. I don't know why (the Japanese canals are working the same way) but it's incredibly irritating and time consuming.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Like most SC4 bugs, it depends a lot on if you've sacrificed a chicken recently and the position of the moon and whether or not your CPU was manufactured on an ancient Indian burial ground.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know the name but there is definitely a mod to make agriculture always have demand. I think SPAM does it, if you want a whole farming overhaul thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone know of a mod school that has huge capacity? I got NAM 32.1 working on my MacBook with absolutely no CTD's, but because of all the schools and munchkins in those schools I have a budget deficit of $6,000/month.

The Japanese school might be what you want, I don't know if it'll save money but you don't have to place so many.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11870-somy-japanese-urban-school/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I'm having fun with it but the lack of regions means it's not a replacement. It is good though, and you can do some crazy poo poo with roads.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Build slower, provide no city services until your income is comfortable (except water, you can start that a little earlier). Population of 30K or so is a good place to start thinking about schools and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dirty poors. You can get well past 30K without any services beyond electricity and water.

• Locked thread