Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Exile as the name of a nascent country is rad though.

"oh no I have been averned to Exile!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

I once wrote an email to Jeff when I was 13. He was very polite and wrote back. That was a long time ago.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sumerian Telecom posted:

I once wrote an email to Jeff when I was 13. He was very polite and wrote back. That was a long time ago.

i started learning computer programming when i was 10 because i wanted to be like jeff vogel lol

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nah that's a legit opinion. If I could have best of both worlds I'd rename the games to Exile but leave the place as Avernum, as 'oh no I've been exiled to Exile' sounds silly imho
In universe though, there's no reason for anybody to ever say the entire phrase. The Empire controls almost the entire surface and Avernum/Exile the place is widely known as their prison. So the verb "exile" would very quickly evolve into a specific word meaning "to be sent down to Exile". You would just say "oh no I've been Exiled" with no need to clarify the context because everybody would know where you're going.

Basically like how in the real world, nobody says "I was hospitalized in a hospital" because the verb itself implies the location.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The funny thing about Jeff's graphics is that you could release a game with Exile 2/3's graphics today, and people wouldn't bat an eye. They've actually aged better than most of the rest of his stuff.

I agree. Classic 2d graphics are evergreen. The original SMB still looks good to this day.

Sumerian Telecom posted:

I've written him two, perhaps three times in recent years. He's never written me back, but an employee (I presume) of his did once; that's how I have a copy of the original Nethergate.

Clearly Jeff is anti-adult.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wrote him last year and got a reply, but to be fair, my e-mail was a bug report and his reply was "thanks, we'll fix that". Vogel isn't a movie star or anything, but I'm sure he still gets a lot of random e-mail from people.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wrote him last year and got a reply, but to be fair, my e-mail was a bug report and his reply was "thanks, we'll fix that". Vogel isn't a movie star or anything, but I'm sure he still gets a lot of random e-mail from people.

True, but I was still disappointed by the lack of repy. The last time I wrote to him, about two years ago I fancy, I asked him two questions. I don't remember the first one, but the second one was why he wants to pretend that Nethergate (the original, not Resurrection) doesn't exist. As I said, no reply.

Thuryl would know about this as she's a moderator, but I posted the download link for that game - the one that a Spiderweb representative gave me, mind you - on the SW forums and apparently Jeff flipped his poo poo. No idea why.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JustJeff88 posted:

True, but I was still disappointed by the lack of repy. The last time I wrote to him, about two years ago I fancy, I asked him two questions. I don't remember the first one, but the second one was why he wants to pretend that Nethergate (the original, not Resurrection) doesn't exist. As I said, no reply.

Thuryl would know about this as she's a moderator, but I posted the download link for that game - the one that a Spiderweb representative gave me, mind you - on the SW forums and apparently Jeff flipped his poo poo. No idea why.

because of your username. they thought you were impersonating jeff

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

If they gave it to you privately, and you posted it publicly, that’s probably why.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

fart simpson posted:

because of your username. they thought you were impersonating jeff

drat it, you rumbled me!

Glimpse posted:

If they gave it to you privately, and you posted it publicly, that’s probably why.

I fail to see why they would object to giving a free, digital game that's not for sale anywhere to one fan, but not many, tabarnak

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I fail to see why they would object to giving a free, digital game that's not for sale anywhere to one fan, but not many, tabarnak

It's not your right to distribute it, or even just to make it more widely accessible. Stuff done in confidence between two people is completely different from stuff done for everyone. That is 100% in "ask for permission first, and if they don't say yes, that's that" territory.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

presumably it wasn't publicly listed because they didn't want it to be widely accessible, but were willing to make exceptions for individual fans who were particularly interested in it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

yes! Yes!!!!

I have no idea how the GIFTS are in Ancient Albion but also who cares omg hi!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

yes! Yes!!!!

I have no idea how the GIFTS are in Ancient Albion but also who cares omg hi!

Honestly they should be in every game no matter what my Arachnophobic friend says

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Doesn't seem like it's been posted here yet, but there's an official release date for the remake of Geneforge 2: Infestation - March 27, 2024. They also apparently sent out all the backer surveys so if anybody here is a backer and wants the opportunity to talk about how the process went, check your email I guess.

More importantly, there's a demo available as part of Steam Next Fest. Note that I'm not sure if the demo will persist beyond Steam Next Fest or not, so apologies if you see this post later and the demo is unavailable. I only played the demo for about 30 minutes or so, enough to get through the first two tutorial maps plus the first town of Drypeak. A few quick thoughts:
-Very similar feel to the GF1: Mutagen remake.
-Literally everything that I liked about Mutagen still holds - more interesting and varied combat, abilities for creations, junk bag-style inventory, the classic "put points wherever you please" skill system, and so forth.
-As someone who played the poo poo out of OG GF2, I noticed that even in the early tutorial maps, there were a couple very minor new things added to those zones. They fit in seamlessly enough that I suspect newbies won't even realize things have been added, but as a vet, it was very cool.
-In talking with the early skill trainer, there's a new category of skills called Weapon Shaping for Guardians which appear to be akin to Battle Abilities from Avernum 5/6 where you can do extra stuff like adding debuffs to your weapon strikes. Didn't play a Guardian so couldn't try it out, but it feels like it should make Guardians a lot more dynamic than their usual gameplay of pre-buffing, then just spamming attack.
-The spell and creation screen listed off all the spells and creations available throughout the entire game even though I don't have them (which seems odd as gently caress, by the way). Since some of these are obviously way beyond the scope of the demo, I'll put information about the spells and creations behind spoiler tags just in case: All your favorite GF2 creations are back, most of your favorite GF2 spells appear to be back, and there are some secret-creations which are not-so-secret due to the menu listing them.
-No bugs, glitches, etc encountered. Not that I was expecting any, because Jeff's games are usually pretty solid, but always worth praising given the state of gaming in 2024.

I look forward to playing the real thing at the end of March and loving the hell out of it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MagusofStars posted:

Doesn't seem like it's been posted here yet, but there's an official release date for the remake of Geneforge 2: Infestation - March 27, 2024. They also apparently sent out all the backer surveys so if anybody here is a backer and wants the opportunity to talk about how the process went, check your email I guess.

More importantly, there's a demo available as part of Steam Next Fest. Note that I'm not sure if the demo will persist beyond Steam Next Fest or not, so apologies if you see this post later and the demo is unavailable. I only played the demo for about 30 minutes or so, enough to get through the first two tutorial maps plus the first town of Drypeak. A few quick thoughts:
-Very similar feel to the GF1: Mutagen remake.
-Literally everything that I liked about Mutagen still holds - more interesting and varied combat, abilities for creations, junk bag-style inventory, the classic "put points wherever you please" skill system, and so forth.
-As someone who played the poo poo out of OG GF2, I noticed that even in the early tutorial maps, there were a couple very minor new things added to those zones. They fit in seamlessly enough that I suspect newbies won't even realize things have been added, but as a vet, it was very cool.
-In talking with the early skill trainer, there's a new category of skills called Weapon Shaping for Guardians which appear to be akin to Battle Abilities from Avernum 5/6 where you can do extra stuff like adding debuffs to your weapon strikes. Didn't play a Guardian so couldn't try it out, but it feels like it should make Guardians a lot more dynamic than their usual gameplay of pre-buffing, then just spamming attack.
-The spell and creation screen listed off all the spells and creations available throughout the entire game even though I don't have them (which seems odd as gently caress, by the way). Since some of these are obviously way beyond the scope of the demo, I'll put information about the spells and creations behind spoiler tags just in case: All your favorite GF2 creations are back, most of your favorite GF2 spells appear to be back, and there are some secret-creations which are not-so-secret due to the menu listing them.
-No bugs, glitches, etc encountered. Not that I was expecting any, because Jeff's games are usually pretty solid, but always worth praising given the state of gaming in 2024.

I look forward to playing the real thing at the end of March and loving the hell out of it.

im fully erect, op

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Geneforge 2 Kickstarter keys just dropped :krad:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Geneforge 2 Kickstarter keys just dropped :krad:
:bubblewoop:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Jeff got a Q&A stream today and Sunday apparently. If people want to hear from the grumpy old dev behind the fun. See the steam page for details as I can't find a good page to link for it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i thought jeff was in his 20s

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i thought jeff was in his 20s

How has he been making games since the 90s

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
According to steam achievement statistics, 27% of players have already got a good ending. I just finished exploring the first town.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arrhythmia posted:

do what you love as a weird-rear end increasingly retro one-man game studio and you'll never work a day in your life

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arrhythmia posted:

time warp

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GodFish posted:

According to steam achievement statistics, 27% of players have already got a good ending. I just finished exploring the first town.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mine said 27%. Maybe a bunch more people activated their key since then.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm guessing beta-testers or something and you saw it before a lot of keys got activated. Definitely weird and funny though!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In Jeff's latest blog he mentioned he will be remastering Avernum 4, which he says needs and will get a ton of additional work.

I can't wait.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

GreenNight posted:

In Jeff's latest blog he mentioned he will be remastering Avernum 4, which he says needs and will get a ton of additional work.

I can't wait.
Interesting, because Avernum 4 definitely does need it. Of his two "main" series of Avernum and Geneforge, Avernum 4 is the weakest entry for various reasons. I had a long-rear end effort-post on it in this thread a ways back, but tl;dr is that the storyline is quite weak, there's two separate boringly miserable 'stealth' sections, and the overall game has lots of new-engine jank. He's also said publicly that after the complete flop of Blades of Avernum, the mediocre sales of Avernum 4 nearly killed the company before Geneforge 4 kicked rear end and saved things.

Not surprising he would want to go back and do it better this time, but honestly out of all his remasters, I would expect this to take the longest because it has far and away the weakest "bones" so to speak.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MagusofStars posted:

Interesting, because Avernum 4 definitely does need it. Of his two "main" series of Avernum and Geneforge, Avernum 4 is the weakest entry for various reasons. I had a long-rear end effort-post on it in this thread a ways back, but tl;dr is that the storyline is quite weak, there's two separate boringly miserable 'stealth' sections, and the overall game has lots of new-engine jank. He's also said publicly that after the complete flop of Blades of Avernum, the mediocre sales of Avernum 4 nearly killed the company before Geneforge 4 kicked rear end and saved things.

Not surprising he would want to go back and do it better this time, but honestly out of all his remasters, I would expect this to take the longest because it has far and away the weakest "bones" so to speak.

I agree 100%. Avernum 4 is my least favorite of all the Avernum games by far, so I am the most excited about a remake.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Avernum 4 is the first Spiderweb game I have actually finished and the new engine helped there - I've finished the introductionary scenario of Blades of Avernum but it was too uncomfortable for me to play games on this engine for longer. This is why I don't really know why it needs remaking. It didn't have wide screen and UI could do some work. This also means that Avernum 5 and 6 will get remakes and IIRC Avernum 6 was already very similar to what we got later in Escape from the Deep. Eh. Hope Jeff knows what he's doing. Maybe he feels it's risky to start a new series or continue Avaddon/Queen's Wish.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

His latest blog talks about the future a bit. Basically he has 12 years before retirement. He says his best new games are behind him and he has 6 games he wants to remaster. Each one can take 18 months.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think Jeff needs to get out a game that's 100% about GIFTS as his swan song before retirement

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Tendales posted:

I think Jeff needs to get out a game that's 100% about GIFTS as his swan song before retirement

You are a cute giant intelligent friendly talking spider and so is everyone else in this game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sequences of Geneforge

Avernum but in Reverse, the Empire rules the caves and is sending their undesirables to live on the surface. You must find your way out of the sun and back into the earth.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Horace Kinch posted:

Sequences of Geneforge

Avernum but in Reverse, the Empire rules the caves and is sending their undesirables to live on the surface. You must find your way out of the sun and back into the earth.

so... your the vahnatai?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

Avernum 4.........that the storyline is quite weak

It's also a nearly identical knockoff of Ultima V

(from someone who is otherwise usually pretty good at coming up with unique settings and stories)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Item Getter posted:

It's also a nearly identical knockoff of Ultima V

(from someone who is otherwise usually pretty good at coming up with unique settings and stories)

The first half of Exile 2 is very very similar to Ultima VI: weird monsters are attacking you from underground, you travel down to discover they're really just people with their own issues and culture, and then complete three trials to win their trust.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

GreenNight posted:

I agree 100%. Avernum 4 is my least favorite of all the Avernum games by far, so I am the most excited about a remake.

I got a soft spott for Blades and 4 because they were the games on the demo disk that introduced me to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fart simpson posted:

so... your the vahnatai?

No, the Vahnatai live on the surface and they all have tans.