Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I bought the whole bundle of Spiderweb games during the Steam sale, and I have a question: I'm playing Avernum 6 right now, and given that the dialogue looks written as if you only had one character, is it possible to play through the game solo?

Also, doesn't it seem like some of the traits are way too good to pass up? Oh gee, I have the choice between a couple more skill points from more level ups, or a massive amount of extra resistances and free skills worth much more than the extra skill points from extra levels. I did leave one character without traits to act as a tool use/nature lore/first aid support bot, but otherwise it seems like a raw deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

This is a bit of a niche question, but does anyone know how to get the Geneforge 1-4 games to work properly when windowed using DXWnd? The issue I'm having is that my windows cursor is not correctly synced with the game's software cursor, which results in different acceleration speeds, and a total desync when my windows cursor leaves the game window.

After playing Geneforge 5, I'm just about ready to call it my favorite Vogel game (although I eventually came to despise the over-abundance of enemies who tack acid and poison onto their attacks -- it's got to be at least 90% of the total mass of enemies you fight; it's that stupid), and I'd like to try playing the earlier games, but the default system that automatically brings my monitor back to the 1990s isn't playing nice with my GPU at all, causing massive frame and input lag.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

In Geneforge 5 is it possible to find out conclusively who the PC used to be? I got a bit in the ending where it said something like "although you never figured out who you were" and I'm wondering if it's possible at all, given that I've explored just about everything except the optional superdungeon because gently caress that place really.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Zereth posted:

Also seriously: Tips for killing that wandering Unbound in the swamp?

Is the answer "come back much, much later"?

Pump energy resistance, use all buffs, hit him with the damage debuff (Vlish tack it onto their missile attack I think?), stand at the edge of a missile attack's range to avoid the dumb aoe. If he's still one-shotting your PC, yeah, come back later.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

The point when unbound became easy was when I used stealth + all the mechanical tools I had been saving up half of the game to sneak into the lab in Gazaki-Uss and snagged the Create Gazer canister pretty early - Gazer magic resistance is just completely ridiculous and it's great for tanking stuff that shoots lightning. Before that I use wingbolts which are similarly resistant but not quite as much of a terrifying juggernaut of destruction - if you can trick him into attacking your wingbolt with his single target spells generally your smaller creations can whittle him down.

In any case though you NEED regeneration aura to keep your poo poo alive

I somehow managed to kill an unbound with two plated clawbugs and 3 ordinary vlish once, in the citadel path area where an unbound rushes the guards, by preventing the unbound from moving by cornering him with the two clawbugs so he was forced to use melee instead of any ranged attacks or aoes, and using chaotic spores which gave several creations essence blade which literally is like +100 damage per hit.

Man I could never figure out how you're supposed to get the canisters on the southern side of the rebel fort's laboratory (Charm and Create Gazer) without getting Game Over'd fifty times. In all my games I just grabbed the north side canisters and called it quits.