Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I just loved how huge 3 was, and how different each area was. Two was great though. I haven't finished it yet though, so maybe my opinion will change. It was the only one of the originals I didn't finish.

I miss having music in the Avernum remakes. Even if it was repetative as hell, it was nice.

The first Avernum game I played was Escape from the Pit, and after playing through 2 and some of 3, it always sounded like the ambient town noise in Avernum 2 was saying "gently caress you" to me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In that case make sure to use every blue canister you possibly can.

Do that anyways. It only matters in the future games.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I bought Avadon 2 the other day because I thought it was Avernum 2, having finally come out.

Botched my Steam roll. :negative:

The Avadon games are pretty fun.

Only thing I can complain about in them is there's not really a companion sympathetic to Avadon in any of them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Airfoil posted:

Avadon 2 was half off most of the week. Picked it up for grins. From what I've read, I'm not missing much by skipping Avadon.

You'll miss some callbacks but they are pretty stand alone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ducttape posted:

I kinda figured that was because Miranda was trying to turn the you against Avadon by partnering you up with the hands with the most reason to dislike it, and giving you the most morally ambiguous assignments.

I haven't played 2, so no idea how it plays out there.

Yeah, that was the reason in the first one, but the second one didn't have something like that if I remember correctly.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everyone's just a jerk, seems to be the motivation in 2. Seriously, is there a single person who isn't bucking for you to take Redbeard's job, let alone actually favorable to the status quo?

e: also, thanks a million to whoever recommended I play Tinkermage on Torment, two Tinkermages and Khalida are just wrecking poo poo that clearly would be wrecking me instead if not for the turrets.

I think the Blademaster with the tick isn't a dick and more of a sympathetic character. But she still has the same problem that the other ones have, making you unsympathetic to Avadon, which admittedly is appropriate cause they hosed her over hard.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So far as I can tell, the only differences in the game engine between Avernum 1 and Avernum 2 are that dual-wielding now limits the weight of the weapon in your off-hand slot

What do you mean by this? I remember Avernum 1 made it so you couldn't use broadswords in your offhand, and had to use rapiers/shortswords.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I like to make a pretty standard fantasy party:
-a human sword and board tanky guy who's tough to kill
-a nephilim archer with lots of utility like tools/first aid/luck
-a human mage devoted completely to nuking poo poo with magic and lore bonuses
-a slith priest who is kind of mixed stats-wise and can do well in melee combat with spears

I try to have at least one member of each race since sometimes special conversation trees open.

thats generally by party until later on, where i switch my sword and board dude to a duel wielder.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Close, TMA. I am pretty sure that Jeff is on holiday right now with the recent rerelease of Crystal Souls, but I believe that his plans are Avadon 3, then Exile 3 the reremake, then he will start on the Geneforge games. He said something about preferring to mix projects and not oversaturate the limited market with the same IP. I would much rather he do Exile 3: The remake of the remake first, but I find it hard to argue with the chap.

the interview mentioned him wanting to do a new original game after exile 3, before starting the geneforge series.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Airfoil posted:

Yes. Then Avernum 3.

After that, he may finally get around to doing something with Geneforge.

i remember reading in an interview a while back that after avernum 3 is done, he's planning on a new game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Jeff Vogel did a Reddit Ask Me Anything.

Of note for me is that he's developing a new series and it's going to abandon the isometric view for Exile's older style perspective.

thats cool. ill be honest and say that for vogels style of games i like tapping my numpad more than using my mouse.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the problem with geneforge is that they were all already out when i realized they existed.

the gameplay never really changes between games, so i only beat the first and last one because of that.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Is there anything like that for the avernums? The 4 party limit is my biggest complaint so this would be great.

you have to make your party members in the avernum games, so probably not.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i want a sci fi game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i just want to shoot dudes with a laser gun :(

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

And that's why the only moral choice is to side with the trakovites in 5 even if you, uhh, do some pretty heinous poo poo.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They don't have much of a moral high ground either.

they kinda had to be written to not have the moral highground, other wise they're just the straight up good guy choice.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dmboogie posted:

It's been a while, but is there really anything keeping Astoria from being the straight up good guy choice? I sided with her when I played the game and I remember working closely enough with Greta that it felt like her route, too.

The Trakovites in 4 don't seem too objectionable but I never actually found them in 5.

In 5 on the trakovites path you're basically a terrorist, trying to show how much destruction shaping can do to the shaper lords who have been sitting their asses as far away from their actions as possible. one of the missions has you release a shaped plague on a town, killing a bunch of people including the wife of the shaper in charge, than you go up to him and go "that sucks, bet no shaping looks pretty good right about now?"

admittedly though, the shaper lord was the one who created the plague themselves, you just released it on a place he didn't want it released, but you still murdered a shitload of innocents.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 26, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They're not the only faction you could describe this way.

other than Astoria, the other 3 kinda bad imo.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dmboogie posted:

Well, poo poo. :catstare:

Given how hosed up the state of the world has gotten in 5 I can see how it escalated that far, but I'd kind of hoped that my boy Khyryk would be better than that. :smith:

tbh I had a much worse time in 4 than 3. Maybe it's just because I really hosed up my build; but while the linearity in 3 wasn't great, at least there weren't any areas like Shaper Monarch's town. God, it was cool lorewise, but I can't think of any other place in the series that stonewalled me that hard, even when I resorted to cheating with healmenow like a motherfucker.

you actually arn't answering to Khyryk in 5, but to Litalia, also from 3. the trakovites have basically been pushed to the breaking point, so they're kinda willing to do anything.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 26, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah, i think the only time canisters has consequences in GF5 is when you are accosted by some rear end in a top hat soldiers. if you took too many canisters you're forced into a fight, but that's it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the gifts are innocent.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Got the Spiderweb email newsletter yesterday and it says Avernum 3 will be released on the 31st. :woop:

dope

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i wish 2 handed swords were still in these games because they are extremely my aesthetic.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Is the bless chest in the Tower of Magi infinite?

Also is the bless effect permanent?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i done beat avernum 3. pretty good, but it basically turned into the magic show by the end there. dual wielding swords would gently caress up a dude, but 2 magic users would do the same amount of damage to 7 dudes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Level 3 move mountains is in fort emergence.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bring back 2 handed swords

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

What would they do differently from dual-wielded 1-handed swords?

be cool as heck

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

nice

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tylana posted:

It's got that weird zen playing state a lot of the Spiderweb games put me in, where I'm just looking in this clump of trees, and poking my head in this cave before I stoppp... 7 hours later.

Trying to decide Normal or Veteran difficulty. I usually just normal and like late Exile 3 still became somewhere between and block and a chore for me. (And Avernum3:RW, didn't get that far in Avernum3 ver1).

Only poked at the starting bits but seems fun. And you don't pick junk off the floor spending all game wondering if you'll need 30 bricks anymore! I think.

i've picked veteran to start with, and it's tough but not overtly punishing, at least in the beginning.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 11, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i really like how you're free to respec characters infinitely. and that there's melee magical weapons. :getin:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zereth posted:

You can't back yourself into a corner if it turns out all the best gear in the game is one weapon type? :getin:

Yep, there's no stat points in this game, only skill points, which are freely changeable when inside one of your forts.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Confusion is much less irritating, but much more brutal in queen's wish. instead of taking away control of your character, it just adds negative debuffs every turn for them. and the confusion itself can't be cured by cure, but the debuffs can.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

About this - is there actually any evidence to be found? I didn't know you could talk to Maximilian outside of the scene with Miranda so I don't know if that affects anything. I didn't find any evidence in the town and decided to spare him but maybe I missed something.

that's intentional. Jeff mentions it in the hint book that sometimes you just have to make your best judgement.

does anyone know if items that boost skills boost them past level 2? or am i good to respec a skill point from them if they're equipped.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 15, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

How do you access the hint book anyway, do I have to enter it as a cheat or what

it's in your game directory, in the deluxe edition folder.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i still want two-handed swords Vogel!!!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

What would they do differently from polearms, mechanically?

be cooler.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i need more stooone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i have no clue how you people are maxing out your resources. i am perpetually low on stone, and like the max amount of other poo poo i've had is like 20.