Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
So I just finished Nethergate: Resurrection lately. Assuming I'm trying to go from earliest UI to latest UI, the next one would should be the Geneforge series, right? (Or was Geneforge supposed to be first?)

I don't see any tips for Geneforge on the beforeiplay site. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Thanks for all the advice. I rolled up a Shaper with a cute little fire lizard (fyora?) running around with me. I think I just got to the first town (with people! NPCs!) after surviving the murderous creation cow equivalents. No, really, my shaper died to them (and possibly any stiff breeze). Geneforge was actually made earlier than N:R, huh? Doesn't seem like there's a grid for combat, can't use wasd to move, and inventory is just on the side of the character box.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Just finished Geneforge 1 with the standard loyal Shaper, Obeyer, destroy Geneforge and everything else ending. Is there any spec. tips for Geneforge 2 or is just more of the same for the most part?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

So I know people said that Geneforge 3 is a mediocre game... but I have it so I want to play it. I've played Shaper in G1 and Agent in G2. Agent took awhile to get going but the mass daze thing really came into its own after awhile, esp. after I gave up caring to keep my NPC followers alive. Whatever. Those jerks kept choosing different targets than me so it ended up 3 different mobs attacking instead of just 1.

So - Guardian in G3. Is it workable / not too much frustration?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Those are the exact classes I took and G3 with a Guardian was perfectly doable, as far as I recall, and I'm not really a minmaxer. I think most of the challenge areas were manageable by the end. The things that will frustrate you about G3 will be the way it's kind of a linear chokepoint for the overall story of the series and some unnecessarily time-consuming water travel on the overworld map.

Sounds good. Thanks!

And I presume the latter part will make more sense once I start playing. I thought overworld map travel was pretty instantaneous once you cleared the intervening maps.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

So I just finished up the Geneforge Saga series, and I'm planning to try the Avernum series next. Any general tips for Avernum 4-6?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Anyway, I recently purchased the Geneforge collection off of Steam and was just wondering; what's the thread's reccomendations on appropriate mood-music to listen to while playing the series? The ambient noises in-game are kind of obnoxious after a while, and dead silence is really not that fun.

Just use one of HDSounDI's playlists depending on what you're in the mood for.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

I'm just starting to play through Avadon 2. Usually, there seems to be someone in the first town that will heal you all up (especially mana), but I can't seem to find him. Is there an equivalent of an inn / nice healer or do I have to find the portal first?

Edit: NM - Time outside combat for health... Having to exit and reenter the map for mana?

Katreus fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

In Avernum 3: Ruined World, for Slime Pit, there's some door in the lower right corner of the 1st floor that I can't open. How do I open it?