Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Avernum is cool I guess, but I miss the really cool spells from Exile I-III like Capture Soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

Jeff actually released all the old Exile games here for free. Standard compatibility issues for old, unsupported games apply, though. I would love it if he'd do some porting so they'd work on modern operating systems without VMing. Of course, he already did essentially that and much more when going from Exile to Avernum, but I still have a soft spot for plain Exile like many people here.

It would be interesting to see them open-sourced at some point rather than just abandonwared. I imagine that somebody could work up a pretty good conversion of the original Exile games to an HTML5/JS engine if the assets and data were available for use.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was so sad when I played Avernum 2 and the list of like ten billion different spells from the Exile games was gone.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thuryl posted:

(the Exile games are available for free now but they won't even install, let alone run, on modern computers)

They totes work fine in Wine, actually.

Though I don't think there's any good way to force the tiny combat map to scale up.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
On the topic of rererereremakes, it would be interesting to see something like the original Exile redone as an HTML5 game. It seems like it would be a good candidate for it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This has already been done...for Mac users, via Wine. Presumably some similar approach would also work in Windows.

Yeah, I've got Exile 1 through 3 in Wine already. I'm just too used to modern games to want to deal with the hardcoded 9x9 viewport and the small yet psychedelically eye-grabbing sprites.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sankis posted:

It's crazy to think that far ahead. In five years this engine will probably look and feel as dated as avenum does now.

Still, Geneforge 1 especially deserves to be given a new life.

In The Year Of Our Lord 2020, when we are all flying around on jetpacks, all games will be running on Javascript in the browser.

... I'm only half joking, because the original Exile 1 would be perfect for an HTML5/JS web port, and C-to-Javascript translation is getting better every day.

Zereth posted:

Apparently the iPad port of Avernum 2: Crystal Souls has been canceled.

All the time Jeff spends making and remaking and reremaking engines only to run into inevitable compatibility issues makes me think he'd be better off just putting the whole shebang into Unity or something.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chinook posted:

I don't recall, but I believe that 4 and 5 were in a newer engine that supports that. Have you considered doing a Windows XP Virtual Machine and just stretching that to whatever size you'd like? That's how I handle stuff like that sometimes.

Also, on Linux or OS X with Wine, you can do a "fake desktop" where you set a resolution, the program in Wine renders to that as if it was a fullscreen display, but Wine turns it into a bordered window. This'll often get you a relatively tiny window, though, given the resolutions those games were designed for and that Wine has refused to implement any kind of pixel scaling.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

oh man i just watched the trailer: there's now a little line that tells you what path your character will take in battle, as well as how many steps it takes to reach it.

Bear witness to the greatest innovation of TYOOL 2016.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The thing that bugs me about the CPU issue is that it's very clearly just that he doesn't have any idle time in his main game loop. He's not actually using the CPU for anything, he's just busywaiting for input from the user rather than having a few "sleep 1ms" calls in his code that would let the operating system know that he's just waiting for something to happen. This is super-basic gamedev programming, and it mystifies me that he could build a successful 20-year-old game company and not know about it.
I have to wonder how much other really weird crap is buried down there in his re-re-re-remade homebaked game engine code by this point.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Had great experiences with the Avadon 2 and Crystal Souls iPad versions, and I'm planning on buying Avadon 3 for it as well. Touch-to-move is a little awkward in combat sometimes and using touch really shows off the flaws of the inventory system, but it's still great fun.
I just want top down view again. :(

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 20, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that Jeff has hinted, if not outright said, that he's done with mobile as a platform after the Avenum trilogy comes to a close. Apparently he is not making enough money from it to justify the work.

The future for turn-based sprite-based RPGs is web apps.

I'm not even kidding. I'd put money on it not being long at all before we see some of the 'retro RPG' stuff pop up as a desktop/mobile wrapper around a web app bundle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Joe Man posted:

It's really weird but the graphics make me think it was created in some ancient Win 3.1 RPG maker program or something. It looks like ancient shareware. Worse than his newest games look.

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I feel like Queen's Wish would be much more visually appealing with a dead simple art style, but with actual art direction instead of 'throw in some tile packs'. See Realm of the Mad God or Caves of Qud for some simple examples of art styles that are noticeably simpler and blockier than Queen's Wish and yet don't have the same dated and thrown-together feel.

Edit: 'Not being dependent on one person' is a fine motivation, but if getting a new set of sprite sheets is actually a genuinely sigificant expense when he just had a $100K kickstarter for better art, then something's gone totally wrong along the way and either Vogel needs to dramatically cut down on the number of individual sprites or he needs to get out of the art business all together and just start piggybacking on and contributing money to an open-source tileset instead, like the one for Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (6000+ tiles available under CC0).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Time for an anime remake of avernum I guess.

Avernum: The Dating Sim.