Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I refuse to believe that a submarine officer had enough free time to write that effort post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mortabis posted:

1. How much gay sex actually goes on down there?
2. Is there incentive pay for submarines? If manning is a problem then isn't a simple solution just to jack up the pay some more? If folks got paid another, like, $800 a month to be on subs then I bet people would be lining up.

1. There's no privacy.
2. Yes, but it's still not enough because the job is that bad. The long and short of it is that nuclear officers who commit for a second tour get a $30,000/yr bonus on top of base pay, sub pay, and sea pay, and attrition is still around 80% after initial obligated service. Myself personally, that bonus would have to be in the mid six-figures for me to even start considering staying in for a second sea tour. (obviously that will not be happening)

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2013

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mortabis posted:

Huh. Now I'm wondering if Tom Clancy would be all into that hot sub on sub action if he'd actually served on one.

Does the CO get any privacy? Like his own stateroom or something?

Do junior enlisted hot-rack most of the time?

e: oh and a couple more questions!

How much fresh water do you get each day, is it rationed? Are there limits on like, how you can shower or something? In a tiny-rear end steel tube with like 100 people not showering properly it would get pretty foul pretty quick, I should think.

How do you dispose of trash? Is there like an airlock or something, like the torpedo tubes? Does it make enough noise to possibly risk detection? (I understand that last part might be classified)

The CO gets his own stateroom that's about the size of the master bathroom at my house. The XO gets his own stateroom too, but he has to share it with the senior rider when there's riders onboard. (riders can be anything from an inspection team, to an assistance/certification team from your parent squadron, to intel guys or divers or special operations forces that are onboard for whatever particular mission you're doing)

Enlisted hotrack all the time on fast attacks. The more riders, the more hotrackers. On boomers they find enough spare corners to shove makeshift racks into that nobody has to hotrack. On SSGNs there's unused racks 99% of the time.

Trash gets compacted, weighed down, and disposed of at sea. What you're picturing is pretty much what it is: you load up a big tube, shut the top, open the bottom, and away goes the trash. If you're too close to land, you just store it, which is about as pleasant as it sounds.

Fresh water isn't rationed unless your water-making equipment breaks, which happens either all the time or never depending on what type of equipment you have, how old it is, and how good your mechanics are. When it does break, the propulsion plant gets water before the crew does. When it's working, you have more water than you can use, but you still limit water usage so you don't have to pump sanitaries as much. The water should be on for a total of about a minute if you're doing a proper "submarine shower," but it's an etiquette thing more than an enforced standard.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

^^ We were not allowed to have weights due to possible noise transients.

You might get lucky and have a rowing machine and a treadmill, in the engine room. There really is not room for the gear.

Temp & humidity is fully controlled. Only the engine room gets a bit hotter. There is cold air blasting you everywhere you go on a boat.

4 treadmills, 2 exercise bikes, 3 ellipticals, stairmaster, rowing machine, climbing machine, smith machine, 4 sets of free weights with benches.

Suck it, fast attacks.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mortabis posted:

Why is it that boomers have so much more space? Wouldn't all that space be taken up by the missiles? Is it because the diameter of the boat has to be bigger to hold the missiles, and so there's just more space everywhere?

Do SSGNs have even more space than boomers? If so is that just because Tomahawks take up less space than Tridents?

There was a bunch of huge 40 year old equipment that got taken out and replaced with storage space, extra racks, and a conference room. Also there's storage space inside some of the missile tubes.

And it's just that there's a whole extra compartment for the missiles, and it fits a ton of stuff besides just the missiles. Like the entirety of crew's berthing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Null Integer posted:

Common discussion on watch involved "20 Questions" and avoiding the ENG's glare.

as if this would narrow it down at all

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What kind of divisions/DIVO jobs are there on a sub? I'm familiar with an aviation squadron, but now I'm kind of curious how it's broken down on a sub. Do you have anything like a dedicated admin department?

Yeah, it's three guys in an office the size of a somewhat luxurious outhouse.

Engineering department:
- Auxiliary division (not nukes)
- Electrical division (nukes)
- Machinery division (nukes)
- Reactor Control division (nukes)
- Reactor Laboratory division (nukes)

Nav/Ops department:
- LAN division
- Navigation division (Strategic Navigation division on SSBN)
- Radio division

Weapons department:
- Fire control division
- Sonar division
- Torpedo division
- Strategic missile division (SSBN only)
- Missile division (SSGN only)
- Strike division (SSGN only)
- SOF division (SSGN only)

Supply department:
- CSes
- LSes

Executive department:
- YNs

Medical department:
- one dude with some Motrin

All the Engineering divisions have a DIVO. Most forward divisions have a single DIVO for multiple divisions. (e.g. combined fire control/sonar/torpedo officer). There's a couple other DIVO jobs that aren't associated with specific divisions, like A-ops, A-eng, QAO. Sometimes these jobs end up getting combined with others too. We currently have one JO for all of Nav/Ops department, and he's the AENG and QAO on top of it.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 28, 2013

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mortabis posted:

What division handles the radar? I'm guessing radar isn't used much at all but subs do have one, right?

Navigation. Of course. (it's illegal for a ship that big to -not- have a radar)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

FrozenVent posted:

Can civilians sperg in here too?

COLREG doesn't require carriage of radar, only that it be used if it is onboard and it is appropriate to do so. SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 19 sets the requirement for carriage of RADAR at the IMO level, I couldn't tell you which US reg requires it on US vessels and how that applies to military vessels though. :spergin:

Civilian vessels, except for some pleasure crafts with spergy owners and money to waste, don't carry ESM at all. Whether or not you're radiating has zero effect on how much civilians can detect you 99% of the time; while there's equipment on the market that'll tell you "Yep, there's a radar emitter somewhere in that 45 degree arc", I've never seen one outside of Whale Wars. It can't detect objects that aren't using radars, so we have to watch the radar anyway.

Where do you keep the mooring ropes on a submarine? What about bollards or capstans, I've seen them on older submarines (Like WWII vintage) but... How do you tie up a modern submarine? What about anchoring? How do they handle, do you generally use a tug for docking / undocking? (Edit: Sorry to poo poo up GIP with my sperging, I'm just curious about submarines.)

We use lines from the pier. Fast boats carry lines just in case they moor somewhere without them (they won't). The cleats are retractable, as is the capstan, which gets used for drydocking and that's pretty much it. There's an anchor in one of the ballast tanks that I have never seen used. Submarines handle like dogshit on the surface, you absolutely use tugs, though fast attacks have a trainable outboard and could theoretically moor unassisted if it wasn't an idiotic thing to do with a 2 billion dollar ship that isn't designed to drive on the surface.

Shaft Alley would be a great name for a gay bar outside the main gate at Norfolk or Bremerton.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Florida shot a bunch of Tomahawks at Libya.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Amine makes everything smell pretty bad, but "boat smell" was 100x worse before the smoking ban.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sacrilage posted:

113th Birthday Video

If you can ignore the crappy Euro-trance music and heinously awkward submariners saying hello, it's a good video.

Happy birthday gents.

I know 5 of the people in that video, I think I've been in too long.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Wait.. so ballast tanks are open at the bottom?

Why the gently caress is ballast not controlled by some kind of closed system? There is some kind of concept here I'm missing.

also my intuition tells me that the reactor/powerplant probably wouldn't appreciate operating inverted-- and now that I think about it a little more, I'm guessing that the geometry on that reactor is rather different than normal PWR's --

not a whole lot of conventional engineering solutions make sense underwater in a moving nuclear reactor powered vehicle do they?

Also holy gently caress I just kinda thought about it.. How loving cramped is the world back in reactor land? Is utterly retarded cramped?

The smaller the tank/sea interface, the longer it takes for air to push the water out. There is a closed ballast system for normal ballast and trim, but main ballast is what's used for surfacing.

A submarine going inverted in and of itself wouldn't sink the ship. It'd gently caress a lot of other stuff up, but the ship would right itself simply due to center of gravity/center of buoyancy positioning. The issue is that the only remotely plausible scenarios in which a ship could invert itself also involve speeds/angles that would result in an unrecoverable dive in addition to the inversion.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

grover posted:

Why not?

Because they don't move independently.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

grover posted:

Well, that was sort of implied by "no". I was wondering why they weren' designed to move independently- seems like it would be a smart thing to do to maintain stability on the surface as well as redundancy to the fairweather planes for underwater stability.

Because as terrifying as a jam dive casualty is, having the port plane in jam dive while the starboard one goes full rise would manage to be even worse.

A lot of submarine design decisions are based on what the worst possible case is when the thing breaks.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 26, 2013

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

Oh like that. No. But all of the ways to do emergency backup stuff was all there.

There's a full-motion ship control trainer in most ports (including Groton, they just don't let BESS use it).

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I was a prior service, SWO selected, liberal arts major voluntold to go to an interview. Told Adm. Donald I didn't want to be there and he still picked me. I always tell people I regret not tanking the interview, but I'm not really sure what else I could have done besides play an idiot during my lead-in interviews.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
FT. All my peers from then are chiefs now. Oh well.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
No problem, Comrade.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
We just did 8 hour watches for 4 months and it was fantastic for everyone that wasn't a daywalker or an electrician.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Schlabbalabba posted:

I actually just brought that up to my old Eng who is in PXO right now. I assume turnover and dinner are at 1930.... how are you going to burn a flick if you cannot start until 2100....

The other thing, that bones one watch section with the midnight routine every night. Imagine trying to find offgoing JO's to rig for dive more than half way into their offgoing...

There's a few different ways boats have been doing it if you read the lessons learned messages, but we had breakfast 0700-0800, lunch 1500-1600, dinner 2300-2400 plus PBJ/soup breaks halfway through the day and swing watches when the offgoing guys give head/snack breaks to the on watch guys. Swing watch was protected sleep for midwatch guys, midwatch was protected sleep for everybody else. It worked OK most of the time. Midwatch guys usually get boned with 8 hours straight without a break (especially guys like the SRO that can't get up and walk around/use the head on watch). Day shift guys do all the maintenance on the evening shift (E-div gets boned because they have too much maintenance to fit it all in). Every Sunday we did 6 hour watches and everybody shifted back a section so you only had the midwatch for a week at a time. Officers did rig for dive/breaks/etc in-section. All in all I'd rather do it this way than go back. Even if I was perma-midwatch it would still be better than 6-and-12s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the SRO unless you were doing this in-port. If you mean the RO, their ability to get up and walk around is a function of how many guys are qual'ed, not the schedule.

I'm also not seeing any advantage of doing this over 6 and 12s, once you start rolling in multiple drill days / field day / division and department training etc - it just seems like one watchsection would get unmercifully pounded for a whole week instead of the usual Russian roulette. Vulcan Death Watches are still going to be a 12-14 hour day and it seems like they'd jank up the rotation even worse than usual. That was always the problem with sub scheduling, not the shift lengths; it works fine if you assume the "watch-maintain/train-sleep" three-shift rotation holds, but it doesn't - and the idea of marking off 16 hours a day for 'protected sleep' would've gone right out the window. And you still have problems with port/starboard, not enough guys qualed, bulked up watches for tracking parties or fatho, weapons handling etc etc etc etc.

I'm also not seeing how kickers work but that's a much more minor concern.

Keep in mind I came from a boat that believed crew fatigue was a myth dispelled with enough coffee, and crew exhaustion was considered a primary factor in them tearing the bottom out of a gator freighter and nearly losing the ship. I do know that for my division there's been certain changes (let's not go into these) that have greatly reduced underway maintenance and paperwork and those probably improved quality of life quite a bit.

yeah I meant RO. It's the same for any watch that can't really leave. But getting stuck on an 8 hour midwatch with no break is really the only downside. All the things you're talking about like drills and training and and weapons handling happen during all-awake time (8-16) so everybody still gets their protected sleep. The midwatch guys get it the worst because with prewatch tours their protected sleep is more like 16-22 but 6 hours uninterrupted is still better than you'd ever do on a 6-and-12 rotation.

I didn't think it'd work either before we did it, but it works fine. My quantity and quality of sleep both went up and my quality of life increased astronomically. As a JO I was better rested than I was as an enlisted coner which is astonishing, really.

• Locked thread