Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Uh, Bruce Lee died from taking a painkiller, dude. If that's a stunt, I'm apparently a stuntman most sundays.

I've actually encountered this before. A not insignificant amount of people seem to believe that Bruce and Brandon Lee both died under similar circumstances, and I've even heard several people mistake Brandon's death for Bruce's. The other day I got into an argument over lunch with a co-worker about this. He just said "Oh yea Bruce Lee died in a accident on-set" as a matter of fact and I couldn't convince him he was wrong, we had to go to Wikipedia. I suppose its because since Brandon's death their lives have been constantly compared in media, mostly for dramatic purposes in t.v. movies and such.

Anyway TODAY IS THE DAY. I have my bigscreen and a six-pack of beer ready, this movie is going to blow my face off! I'll regret not seeing it in theatres forever though, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like there should be a support group for Fury Road addiction. Now that I can just pop it in my blu ray player whenever I want things are getting a little bit embarrassing.

I keep waiting to feel burned out on it and its just not happening...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philip Rivers posted:

This is a weirdly aggressive post about color schemes.

There was a time about 5-6 years ago when blue/orange got a lot of backlash because it was being used to prevalently. Eventually it got kinda old, and I guess some people haven't really let it go. It was a surprisingly divisive issue.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That Night at the Museum poster is weird because half of the poster is orange and the other half blue, so you'd assume its to show how the exhibits come to life at night. But then all the characters are on the orange side!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah, but my whole point was that it's used in every single scene of Mad Max and also makes sense in the context of a desert wasteland.

Definitely agreed. I "noticed" the orange and blue but only in the sense that I noticed how loving awesome it looked. The colors in the movie are one of the biggest reasons its so rewatchable in my opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I know I railed against the current Blu-Ray earlier but I'm really feeling the pull... Is WB known for putting out double-dip releases? I guess what I'm asking is how likely it is that the B&W and soundtrack-only versions of the movie will come out any time soon. Might they wait for the sequel?

This is a once every 20 years or so kinda movie. I've watched the blu ray 4 times since I bought it. Just loving buy it already then if necessary buy another version later, whatever you end up spending it will be worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, this isn't a movie where you have to sell it to someone, at least if they are into action movies even a little bit. I showed it to my roommate, and all I really said was "Hey we should watch Mad Mad, its very good."

The movie sells itself within the first 2 minutes. For someone who's been watching the big-budget action stuff of the past decade or so, the first crash where Max gets captured is a major eye-opener right off the bat. I heard my roommate kinda quietly say "whoa" when that happened, and I was tempted to tell him to just wait and that he hadn't seen ANYTHING yet. But I kept my mouth shut and I'm glad I did. Its better for someone to experience the non-stop escalation of this movie on their own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know its weird these catchphrases aren't getting old at all. Seriously, no sarcasm at all, I love these catchphrases and I usually hate catchphrases.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Witness Meeeee!!!!!" especially is a really a interesting phrase and you could spend a lot of time thinking about what exactly it means to the warboys and how they think about death. Like, they all seem to have come to terms with their own mortality and I suppose a slow death by radiation poisoning will do that, but the culture Immortan Joe has developed seems to really emphasize living on through those that witnessed your ridiculously badass exploits.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nux flat out yells at Slit for taking his wheel.

Well they're partners so it could be interpreted as Nux yelling at Slit for trying to usurp his position as driver. But yea, all signs point to the steering wheels being individual.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

I'm bringing my copy of the DVD to my uncle's house for Christmas; he usually puts on some insipid Bond film or the usual trite Christmas bullshit after presents are opened and dinner is over. Will trip report whether the glory of SHINY AND CHROME prevented the usual racist diatribes (half the family is cops, yay me!)

I've never had any success with this kind of thing because in these situations people want something to just put on and veg out to without paying all that much attention. That's probably why he plays the Bond movies, because he's seen them a thousand times so they don't require any thought to enjoy and he can have a conversation with family members without losing the plot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it just assumed that Theron will get a nomination or is that not a sure thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Blockbuster action movies never get acting nominations (Heath Ledger the only exception I can think of), so no.

I know but the buzz around her performance was so strong when the movie was in theatres that it felt like Heath Ledger situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I love that white MRAs identify with a beep boop robot instead of ace fighter pilot and cool guy Poe Dameron.

He's Hispanic, MRAs are racist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey come on, you think a latin guy and a black guy just get cast in Star Wars by accident? We've got a white genocide on our hands and everybody's just letting it happen! Open your eyes!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What a disgrace to the Humungus name. I just watched Road Warrior last weekend and there's no indication whatsoever that he's got issues with race. Seemed like a pretty cool dude aside from the murdering and pillaging.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The game is by the Just Cause developers, so treat it the same: understand that the story takes a back seat to really pretty destruction and go have fun.

Is it discounted anywhere yet? I definitely want to play it at some point but it doesn't feel worth $60. I'm thinking I'll get three or four hours of fun out of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I totally missed the Nazi stuff, guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I mean, I was joking, but still I did miss the fact that he had actual Nazi paraphernalia around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Just to go back a step, on the Twitter account, the story that they 'cost' Star Wars 4 million (based on really weird metrics, obviously) had 6 likes. Which sums up the story elegantly

Ah poo poo, if they'd just remembered to only cast white people, Force Awakens could have been the highest grossing American film of all-time, PLUS an extra four million! Thank God Disney has some artistic integrity and not everything is about money!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Iirc films with black leads tend to do significantly worse in foreign box office totals.

I haven't read up on all this stuff but maybe that's the reason they're predicting that it won't overtake Avatar for the worldwide records. It may not be expected to do as well in China because of the diverse cast, whereas Avatar substituted minorities for blue cat-aliens so China ate it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Guess what fuckers, we're getting a mad max trilogy with world building side movies and there's not a god damned thing any single one of us can do about it

I wouldn't go that far but we'll almost certainly see a mediocre sequel where the studio will completely miss the point by offering Hardy like 30 million to play Max again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hardy never says enough words at one time to really notice what accent he is or isn't doing. I didn't have a problem with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

As a Swede who has lived in the US long enough to have a perfectly native accent it's actually impossible for me to do a Swedish-English accent. The two languages are separate in my brain and I can't mix them - it takes me a second or two to switch which language I speak/understand/think. I've never heard Charlize speak with an SA accent but there are videos of her speaking Afrikaans, so maybe she's similar.

Yea this makes a lot of sense actually. If she didn't really learn fluent English until she was already an actress, then she would have been trying to form an American accent right from the beginning. So she never had a time in her life where she spoke English with a SA accent. So it would be impossible for her to just do that accent on command unless she has specifically prepared and learned it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

It might just be too distinctive at this point. Even deserts look a lot different from one another.

You certainly couldn't use Monument Valley for anything other than an American Western, its too recognizable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now that Best Picture is a lot more open and like 8 different movies can be nominated, I figured it'd get a token nomination there. No chance of winning of course, but really were there 8 better movies than Fury Road this year? Of course not.

The only major award it has a chance at is probably Miller for Best Director. That'd be a great reward for the years he spent struggling to make Fury Road happen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

I'll be surprised if it doesn't win Best Visual Effects at least.

Star Wars

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

No best score nomination though which is a shame.

The best scored scene of the entire year was in Fury Road when they collapse the rock tunnel and the motor bike dudes come after them. Its when Max and Furiosa begin to work together and the camera pans all around the war rig as they take out the bikers. The way the music swells in that scene gives me goosebumps every time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Maybe, just maybe... there is an outside chance for Miller in best director?

I think there is. There's no Scorsese type out there who's been hosed over in the past, and Innaritu won last year for Birdman so no wrong that needs to be "set right" there.

There are a lot of years where I would have said Miller wouldn't have a chance in hell, but this year is fairly open.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its not going to go on forever though. The public is already starting to feel the fatigue of all these bloated, unnecessary "universes".

There's a lag time involved though, it will take more than one mediocre sequel to bring down one of these franchises. Age of Ultron sucked and most people realized that, but the majority are still able to get hyped about Civil War and Infinity War. Marvel better be careful though, another stinker and we may start to see a difference in the box office results. But again, it would be incremental. If Civil War isn't as good as Winter Soldier, people may be somewhat wary about Infinity War, and at that point the MCU would be in serious trouble because a whooole lot would be riding on paying of that Thanos storyline.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boogaleeboo posted:

No they aren't, you have decades of this poo poo to go. They make bank, are fun for people to see, and let actors and writers get the capital [Actual and otherwise] to go off and make whatever indie darling they want without fear their children will starve. Not to mention the instant emotional feedback of going into a room of children in need and watching them just light up for the heroes. Nobody on any side of the screen is avoiding those types of films....ever.

I know it feels that way now, and the odds are you're right, we do have 15-20 years of this at a minimum.

The connection that the fans and those kids you're talking about have with the characters can be eroded over time by bad movies though. After Infinity War will be a time of transition for the MCU, and if some of the mistakes that were made with AoU aren't fixed by then the kids could very easily be on to something else. Won't happen overnight, but it'll happen eventually even if we have to wait until the kids of today have kids who think Captain America and Iron Man are lame.

Its definitely a case by case thing though, the public isn't going to all the sudden get sick of all major franchises just because. But the quality matters in the long run. James Bond, Batman, Dr. Who, Jurassic Park and the rest have all had their time in the dumpster when nobody wanted to put money into them.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
From my anecdotal experience I thought Age of Ultron was a misfire, it seemed like every single person I talked too was disappointed by it. Could just be me and my circle of friends have similar taste in movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd buy Fury Road again even if it were just a different slip cover or a steelbook. The people who made this movie need to have as much of my money as possible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

One thing that always struck me is the fantastic fight choreography between Max, Furiosa and Nux when they first approach the War Rig. The sort-of-three-way brawl moving across the scene, various objects in the environment being quickly introduced, used by the characters in creative ways and discarded without ever slowing down the pace of the fight. Of all things it makes me think of the wacky fight scenes in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies without all the constant pauses in the action for mugging and one-liners (even when they give Nux a few funny lines it's always a sidebar to action going on elsewhere in the scene). It's a very fun scene to watch that gets kinda forgotten among all the higher-profile action.

The whole movie is a never-ending procession of these moments, where you're going "drat, this is one of the best ___________ I've ever seen!"

Right from the very beginning when the warboys flip Max's car, I sat up and took notice because it was one of the most impactful, visceral car crashes I've ever seen in a movie. Then there's the beginning of the chase with the gigantic bulldozer truck thing, which is unlike anything I'd ever seen, straight into the three-way fight, then into the dirtbike riders, and on and on and on until the movie ends. Its having your mind blown, but continuously for two hours. I really don't understand how this movie exists to be honest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Miller wrote and produced Babe, he didn't direct it. For some reason he felt the need to direct the sequel though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

And in this little thing there is another little detail as Cheedo tries to stop Dag from getting involved to keep her safe. You learn a lot of character background in just a few moments as you see how the Wives reacted. One other thing I liked a lot was how the boltcutter looked heavy as gently caress when Furiosa swung it at Max. That thing would hurt if it connected and looked nothing like the light prop it probably was.

It really looks like Furiosa is swinging that thing with the intention of taking Max's head off, which is probably at least partially due to the footage being sped up a little bit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well one thing The Walking Dead has always focused on is how this new world takes a major toll on those who are forced to live in it. There's a significant percentage of people who simply can't deal with this new reality, and they kinda just shut down unless somebody tells them what to do. So if the person who's got the gravitas and charisma necessary to command that kind of attention is also into raping and pillaging, that's what the "community" is going to develop into.

A lot of the story of the show for the past few seasons has been about Rick trying to balance being one of these leaders, and doing what is necessary to protect his people without becoming an irredeemable psychopath. Can't just be soft all the time, which was demonstrated by what happened to Alexandria, a community of relatively nice people with an all-around good person leading them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

jesus yall are a bunch of whiny babies

Well as a palate cleanser then...

I didn't really have any problems with any of the winners this year, although I'd have loved it if Deakins had won for Sicario. Hardly a snub though because Lubezki is Lubezki.

Fury Road deserved all the awards it got, but Spotlight is a really important film and the Best Picture win is justified. I'm also glad that Star Wars didn't win anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Walmart, and to a lesser extent Best Buy, have been shrinking their DVD/Blu ray sections for several years now. I remember only about 4-5 years ago I'd go into Walmart and just browse around, and usually find something good to buy. At that time they had two full aisles of nothing but movies, and a separate case for t.v. shows. Now its down to one poorly stocked aisle that is half movies and half t.v. shows.

Same thing with Best Buy, until recently they had a fully stocked Blu ray section that was three or four aisles deep. Now its about half that size, and shrinking all the time. I understand why its happening but its still a bummer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

Ye, watched this one with the fam in preparation for the oscars and the sound mixing lost almost all the punch through our tv's speakers. Didn't help I had to keep my mom up to date with the plot beats: though she does that to every movie that decides to have any sort of foreshadowing. I guess she should stick to the hallmark channel :shrug:

There are a lot of people who really don't want to just be thrown into a world where very little is explained, and have to put the pieces together themselves. I'm not even judging those people, its just not the experience they're looking for in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My boss said he thought Fury Road was so bad that he turned it off after 35 minutes. When I thought about what was going on in the movie 35 minutes in, I just can't fathom how someone could say "this is a good time to give up".

• Locked thread