Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Blind Sally posted:

I'm just trying to think of when some sort of sexual relationship is shown in the series...

One cut scene from Thunderdome would have at least contributed to the idea. A dream sequence was scripted where Jessie reminds him of how happy they were, and the importance of preserving life instead of racing around in some kind of self hating denial. Basically starting him back on the path to humanity. Cut for lots of reasons, but originally set where Max has been rescued and dragged to the oasis.

Plus he was going to be woken up from this ghostly visitation by a couple of the older girls pulling at his zipper to check out Little Walker. That would have played so well with Warner.

So many ideas trimmed for cash and pacing, but they're great action films. And wow, it's growing to be an encyclopedia at the start of this thread, nice work. There are bits and pieces of a Thunderdome doc surviving on youtube as "madmax3 behind the scenes", not sure it's worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Great stuff! Not much to add. A note on agency, the only plan that works in the film is Max dropping back to "retaliate first", and it's entirely off screen.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Watching Mad Max 3 right now.

Hmm.

Think of it as a fan film written and directed by a high school teacher who's best buds with Tina Turner.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

CeeJee posted:

https://vimeo.com/127381179

2 hour presentation on the cinematography of Fury Road.

Dredging this up again, thank you for the link and for ACS posting it. So many cameras bashed, lenses lost in the sand and mud. Worth a watch and listen for their view, learning when to cut losses or learn new tech. The saga of the DIT man and other tight moments.

Panfilo posted:

Something else that cracked me up, was Rictus Erectus drinking the milk. Total, Got Milk? moment :3

Great expression. Also Joe's eyes widening when Rictus or a warboy shouts essentially, "she thinks she can lose us in there!", then the long shot, holy poo poo.

I sat behind a nuclear family with boys and after some tension the parents caught on. Cranking up the pace and cutting to black is cathartic. Still 24 hours until I take my (retired but track driving) gearhead dad to this for all those 80's action movies. Still excited!

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

TrixRabbi posted:

I saw the words "The Road Warrior" on there. But that's all I could make out.

Need this in the OP.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

TerminalSaint posted:

Mad Max Of Mars?

poo poo, now I was Frazetta was still alive to do Mad Max paintings.

Fixed to more properly represent Hypermasculine Atomic Hero Mad Max Who Doesn't Take Orders.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Quick question since I was still thinking about Angharad's role a bit. Was it the blood from the gunshot wound on her leg that caused her to slip off the war rig to her death? I can't quite remember exactly how it happened since it went by so fast.

No, it was her other foot.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Triskelli posted:

Because outside of disaster movies directors rarely have the restraint to dwell on these big effect shots and scenarios and give them the gravitas they deserve. A car getting sucked into a tornado is :black101:loving metal:black101: and this movie shows every second of it, makes it the capstone to that particular chase scene. Other action movies might take five seconds to show something similar as one of two dozen similar shots in the film.

I agree, cuts and music seem overwhelming on a first viewing but it's genius. For the storm, during the last bit of the buzzard fight, sky steadily changes from blue to brown and cloudy. The first it's acknowledged is a zoom on Max. Then warboy reaction shots, a swoop through this previously overwhelming armada of huge, powerful vehicles. Rictus's line, Joe's eyes.

And then a slow zoom out that lasts a full fifteen seconds so we can see exactly how hosed everyone is in that tiny chase scene at the foot of the storm wall.

Miller does the same thing with chase sequences and fights throughout, each sub-chain of action-reaction building rhythm, paying off with decisive action and punctuation on the soundtrack. It's fantastic.

Max tossing the driver: HI-OCTANE

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Angharad's bloody leg is center to the shot, but it's her uninjured left foot that slips off a (sandy, not bloody) chrome pipe as she's climbing in through the open door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You don't need to be Literally Raping My Childhood for your 'Mad Max was secretly Auntie Entity all along' grand unifying theory to be terrible and idiotic

You don't remember what happened on screen. Others think about it too much. Natural enemies. Still a great flick.

• Locked thread