Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I saw that article too. At this point do they even have any incentive to grandfather unlimited data? No one else offers it that doesn't have poo poo service. Not even sure if sprint and t-mobile have unlimited anymore.

Unlimited is cool but when you do get throttled it's pretty unbearable to use

Verizon stop grandfathering right? Or you'd lose it if you upgraded your phone or some poo poo?

I know they offer a ton of family share plans "share 1000 gbs!" whatever but I'm a bachelor over here :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Christoff posted:

Yeah I saw that article too. At this point do they even have any incentive to grandfather unlimited data? No one else offers it that doesn't have poo poo service. Not even sure if sprint and t-mobile have unlimited anymore.

Unlimited is cool but when you do get throttled it's pretty unbearable to use

Verizon stop grandfathering right? Or you'd lose it if you upgraded your phone or some poo poo?

I know they offer a ton of family share plans "share 1000 gbs!" whatever but I'm a bachelor over here :shrug:

As far as I know, T-mobile and Sprint both offer unlimited service without throttling. But then again, they have more limited coverage areas.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Have had friends with both and yeah the service/coverage is pretty terrible. At least around here

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smackfu posted:

Most likely they would just get rid of "unlimited" at the next renewals, since the FTC says that would be a valid option.

I'm ok with this. Give me freedom or give me death.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Christoff posted:

Have had friends with both and yeah the service/coverage is pretty terrible. At least around here

Yeah it's a tossup. Sadly they just don't have the spectrum to cover what ATT/Verizon do. It's going to get better once they shut off the legacy networks and transition those frequencies to LTE but until then, ooof.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

nimper posted:

As far as I know, T-mobile and Sprint both offer unlimited service without throttling. But then again, they have more limited coverage areas.

This big asterisk on T-Mobile's "unlimited" is definitely their coverage area. Unless you live, work, and play somewhere with excellent network buildout, their 50MB cap on data roaming bites hard and bites quickly. (AT&T caps roaming at 400MB, for comparison.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm ok with this. Give me freedom or give me death.
5GB "unlimited" and lack of tethering, though far from idea, pretty much covers my monthly usage. I pay so little for my unlimited data + 450 nights/weekends + 200 texts. Forcing me onto MobileShare will cost a lot more unless I get the 2GB plan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

5GB "unlimited" and lack of tethering, though far from idea, pretty much covers my monthly usage. I pay so little for my unlimited data + 450 nights/weekends + 200 texts. Forcing me onto MobileShare will cost a lot more unless I get the 2GB plan.

I'm in the same exact plan as you. It would cost me more too but when I get throttled they really loving throttle me. It turns my phone into an unusable piece of poo poo outside of wifi for about half of the month since hitting 5gb is crazy easy when you don't give a poo poo about data caps.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm in the same exact plan as you. It would cost me more too but when I get throttled they really loving throttle me. It turns my phone into an unusable piece of poo poo outside of wifi for about half of the month since hitting 5gb is crazy easy when you don't give a poo poo about data caps.

My wife and I got new iPhone 6’s yesterday and I spent the last 24 hours updating all of the apps and music/podcasts that I hadn’t backed up on my computer with iTunes. Between that and the joy of suddenly getting LTE speeds, I racked up 5GB d/l already. According to Ookla Speedtest I’ve gone from 40-50Mbps to 0.5Mbps. I love my unlimited plan, but this is ridiculous. I’m fine with getting throttled first when the network is busy, but if it was alright for me to be downloading at super high speeds an hour ago, why is it that I need to be at 0.5Mbps now?

Of course, I know this is a rhetorical question. They’re trying to get me to leave my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but I’m still not pleased about it. We’re in a special situation and live on a boat with no option for landline internet service, so this unlimited plan is a big plus. Never thought I’d find myself rooting for the FTC, but whelp… here I am.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

since hitting 5gb is crazy easy when you don't give a poo poo about data caps.
Even after coming back from vacation where I tethered my laptop to get internet access and had no other internet access, my wife, daughter, and I combined used 2.5GB in the past 24 days. Inspecting my phone right now, my wifi is off, and I do not conserve my data usage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Even after coming back from vacation where I tethered my laptop to get internet access and had no other internet access, my wife, daughter, and I combined used 2.5GB in the past 24 days. Inspecting my phone right now, my wifi is off, and I do not conserve my data usage.

While I am in the same boat as you on not using a lot of data, different people do different things with phones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, streaming or videos is a good way to use a lot of data.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any way to get ATT to accelerate an unlock on an Aitrix? It's day five and it's going to become a problem tomorrow.

EDIT: _EXACTLY_ 120 hours after the request the code comes through. Very amusing.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 30, 2014

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I constantly use LTE data for screen sharing (work and home stuff) - it uses beefy amounts of bandwidth. Since my stuff is hosted on FiOS, LTE has no problem sucking down 3-5MB/sec while scrolling around my desktop. So at 5GB "unlimited" you get a grand total of 20-30 minutes of screen sharing time, then after throttling it's completely unusable.

I hope AT&T gets smacked down big time over this. Maybe I'll see a $10 class action settlement check in 10 years.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

If anything happens at all with the ftc, I bet it will be att "settling" with them by paying a $10 million or so fine and promising to do better, with no actual changes ever coming from it and no follow-up from the ftc

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I have the 2GB mobile share plan. With it moving to 3GB on Nov 2, will I have to re-sign up with it or will they just give me the 3GB? I don't see where they state what existing customers have to do.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

SimpleCoax posted:

I have the 2GB mobile share plan. With it moving to 3GB on Nov 2, will I have to re-sign up with it or will they just give me the 3GB? I don't see where they state what existing customers have to do.

When they bumped the 1GB to 2GB they didn't automatically move the plans up. You had to go online and request, but I think that may be because the 2GB was technically a new plan and the 1GB was just going away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

When they bumped the 1GB to 2GB they didn't automatically move the plans up. You had to go online and request, but I think that may be because the 2GB was technically a new plan and the 1GB was just going away.

This is exactly it. If the prices are the same (which they are), there is no reason not to sign up, but yea you must officially opt in.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Keep in mind that they are only increasing the data on the Mobile Share plans which may or may not be a better deal if you have a legacy 4 GB Data Pro plan. Would someone please fire a shot on the 10GB plans? They should bump those up to 15 because that is what I have. Honestly like most people between my phone and my tablet I think I am going to have a hard time sucking down 10 GB, my friend and me watched a Netflix movie in HD just for the hell of it the other night, the costs to bump us up would probably be minimal overall.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Quick question. I have three lines on my account. None are in contract. We have the 15-->30 gig shared data plan.

The wife wants an iPhone 6. We are looking at NEXT (probably 12 months) or just paying the $299 and locking into a 2-yr (we don't intend to cancel the service).

What's the better play? The Apple upgrade website is ambiguous, saying "you may be able to save $25 on you data with NEXT" or something like that.

So does that mean our data, which is $130, would be reduced to $105 with NEXT? The $37.45 per month, looking at it another way, would be $12.45 (not double-dipping with the first example, just another way to understand).

Or would it just be better to pay the $299, which wouldn't add a monthly fee to our bill and be done with it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Quick question. I have three lines on my account. None are in contract. We have the 15-->30 gig shared data plan.

The wife wants an iPhone 6. We are looking at NEXT (probably 12 months) or just paying the $299 and locking into a 2-yr (we don't intend to cancel the service).

What's the better play? The Apple upgrade website is ambiguous, saying "you may be able to save $25 on you data with NEXT" or something like that.

So does that mean our data, which is $130, would be reduced to $105 with NEXT? The $37.45 per month, looking at it another way, would be $12.45 (not double-dipping with the first example, just another way to understand).

Or would it just be better to pay the $299, which wouldn't add a monthly fee to our bill and be done with it?

If you are on mobile share already there is absolutely zero, zero reason not to do Next, not only is the monthly service cheaper, there is no activation fee and it is a zero interest loan. Honestly I don't know why they even offer a two year contract with the Mobile Share plans, it's a bad deal. Maybe some people with marginal credit qualify for on contract but not Next?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

Maybe some people with marginal credit qualify for on contract but not Next?

This is why. AT&T doesn't do down payments, so 2 year contract is what you get with flimsy credit.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 2, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks. We will do the Next thing. And gently caress this. The line at the Apple store is 1.5 hrs for a phone. Jesus.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to the UK in a couple weeks. I currently have an unlocked Nexus 4 that I use the $40 gophone monthly plan on. If I try to use this phone to either call or text another US number, will I be charged roaming fees while overseas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I'm going to the UK in a couple weeks. I currently have an unlocked Nexus 4 that I use the $40 gophone monthly plan on. If I try to use this phone to either call or text another US number, will I be charged roaming fees while overseas?

Go phone plans just don't work overseas, and you have no options to pay extra to do it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I kind of want to try out this mobile payments thing and the Softcard app for Windows Phone was just released. My phone has NFC, just not a payment SIM in it. I'm not the primary account holder, I'm on my family's plan, so am I able to head to a corporate store and swap out my SIM?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I kind of want to try out this mobile payments thing and the Softcard app for Windows Phone was just released. My phone has NFC, just not a payment SIM in it. I'm not the primary account holder, I'm on my family's plan, so am I able to head to a corporate store and swap out my SIM?

If you are an authorized user, a rep there would be MORE than happy to help you to drive up their soft card percentage.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So I'd have to get the primary account holder to first add me as an authorized user before I go?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

If you are an authorized user, a rep there would be MORE than happy to help you to drive up their soft card percentage.

Softcard is not on dashboard just fyi. So they'll do it, but it's kind of whatever.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So I'd have to get the primary account holder to first add me as an authorized user before I go?

Correct, you always need to be authorized on the account to make changes.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Softcard is not on dashboard just fyi. So they'll do it, but it's kind of whatever.

I get paid $3 every time I do one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I get paid $3 every time I do one.

Well, mileage will vary then. Corp dropped is as a dashboard metric, so the focus def isn't there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a service outage map or something?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I managed to snag a Nexus 6 pre-order, and I'm most likely going to be sticking with AT&T. Right now, I'm using an ancient iPhone 3GS, and I can only assume that the SIM card won't be compatible with the N6. If I go on AT&T's website and buy this "SIM for 4G LTE Android & Windows Phone devices", will I be able to just pop it in my N6 when it arrives, do the phone setup, and start using my phone with my current plan? I'm grandfathered into an "unlimited" data plan, so I'd like to keep that for now, if possible.

I may eventually switch to a pre-paid plan, as that would save me quite a bit on my monthly bill. If I do that, do I just buy one of these GoPhone SIM cards, replace my current SIM, and add minutes and data via the AT&T website?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I've been trying to get a customised 2nd gen 32gb MotoX for almost a month now, I've gotten nowhere with AT&T.

It seems like problem is that I want it through NEXT.

I tried to design the phone through the motorolla website, but there is no NEXT option in checkout that I can find.

When I've gone to an AT&T store (3 different locations now), they have had no options except for a couple of different colours (no 32gb versions), and they've told me I need to buy it in store and enter the pin number they give me into the motorolla website in order to customise my phone. Unfortunately, none of the stores I've gone to have actually had the pin numbers, they've only had pin numbers for the 1st gen motoX (wtf). One of the reps at the store said they would call me when he could get hold of a motorolla rep, he called me back a couple of days later to say he couldn't get a hold of the usual guy and I was never contacted again.

I've also had zero help from customer service. I called 611 and the first person forwarded me to cancellations (cute), the cancellations person gave me a sales number, and that sales person had no idea wtf I was talking about (I was nice to all of them, I've been in the service industry and it loving sucks).

At this point I would be switching to different provider, but I'm on a family plan with a few other people who can not get sufficient coverage through anyone except AT&T, so I'm kind of stuck.

Is there some hidden option on the motorolla website I'm missing? Are the AT&T reps I've talked to at the various stores full of poo poo? Seriously, do they not want to take my money?

I'm kind of at my wits end here, maybe one of you can help me?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought I remember the reps here saying something about not actually getting the NEXT moto maker card things this time...or only getting 16gb ones or something. I can't actually help you though, sorry :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

I thought I remember the reps here saying something about not actually getting the NEXT moto maker card things this time...or only getting 16gb ones or something. I can't actually help you though, sorry :(

That would be the issue is the store not having the Moto Maker card. My store got it, so I would recommend checking around at different stores. It's weird, Moto just isn't pushing it that much this time around (or ATT I guess).

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

That would be the issue is the store not having the Moto Maker card. My store got it, so I would recommend checking around at different stores. It's weird, Moto just isn't pushing it that much this time around (or ATT I guess).

The dude that called me back said that for the launch of the first one, all the AT&T stores around here had kiosks that allowed you to make your own, and mentioned that it was odd that no one had them this time.

Just to clarify, what should I be asking for? A Moto Maker kiosk, or just the cards?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Haerc posted:

The dude that called me back said that for the launch of the first one, all the AT&T stores around here had kiosks that allowed you to make your own, and mentioned that it was odd that no one had them this time.

Just to clarify, what should I be asking for? A Moto Maker kiosk, or just the cards?

Just the card.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Haerc posted:

If you are still having trouble, send me a PM. I will sell you a card on NEXT and send it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

If you are still having trouble, send me a PM. I will sell you a card on NEXT and send it to you.

You must have the greasiest, don't give a gently caress manager.