Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Here's what I plan on picking up. I'm new to AT&T. I use like 300MB - 500MB of data a month so 2GB should cover me.

Are there any promotional codes or Employee Referrals I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

Here's what I plan on picking up. I'm new to AT&T. I use like 300MB - 500MB of data a month so 2GB should cover me.

Are there any promotional codes or Employee Referrals I should know about?

I'll send you details for the ATT referral program that will get both you and me $25. That's something.

Edit: you don't have PMs. Do this:

After you sign up: go to att.com/refer
Input code: GOONREFERRAL
That gets both of us $25.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 28, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

My mother in law (who is on our family plan) is going to Europe and I don't want to try and explain to her how swapping out SIM cards, etc. works. I assume this is just a matter of calling and adding one of the Passport plans before she leaves?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

My mother in law (who is on our family plan) is going to Europe and I don't want to try and explain to her how swapping out SIM cards, etc. works. I assume this is just a matter of calling and adding one of the Passport plans before she leaves?

Yes.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll send you details for the ATT referral program that will get both you and me $25. That's something.

Edit: you don't have PMs. Do this:

After you sign up: go to att.com/refer
Input code: GOONREFERRAL
That gets both of us $25.

I do have PMs? But thanks I'll do this!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trying to figure out AT&T's business page is frustrating as gently caress; do any of you goons know if they sell just SIM cards to business that can put a data plan on it? They must, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Trying to figure out AT&T's business page is frustrating as gently caress; do any of you goons know if they sell just SIM cards to business that can put a data plan on it? They must, right?

Yeah if you go into a store they'll activate just a SIM for you.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have an AT&T iPhone 6+ that I paid off and got AT&T to unlock. I want to give it to family or sell it -- does anyone know if it will work with any of the other big carriers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

terre packet posted:

I have an AT&T iPhone 6+ that I paid off and got AT&T to unlock. I want to give it to family or sell it -- does anyone know if it will work with any of the other big carriers?
It will work with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and any MVNOs running on their towers.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It will work with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and any MVNOs running on their towers.

Thanks! That's good news.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

terre packet posted:

Thanks! That's good news.

The only caveat is that Verizon *might* need an activated SIM, but that might not be the case since they've supposely whitelisted all good (not blacklisted) 6 and 6s's. I'm not entirely sure what the process on that is now.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently pay $140 a month for FamilyTalk with Rollover with two lines:

Line 1: DataPlus 300MB for iPhone
Line 2: Unlimited data for 4G LTE Smartphones w/Visual Voice Mail

Both lines have unlimited texting. I am planning on canceling my Line 2 since I will be moving out of the country in the next few months. However, Line 1 is my mother's and she would like to keep her phone number and more than likely stick with AT&T.

What would be the best method for converting Line 1 into a single line and get a good deal? My mom barely uses 300MB of data a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

I currently pay $140 a month for FamilyTalk with Rollover with two lines:

Line 1: DataPlus 300MB for iPhone
Line 2: Unlimited data for 4G LTE Smartphones w/Visual Voice Mail

Both lines have unlimited texting. I am planning on canceling my Line 2 since I will be moving out of the country in the next few months. However, Line 1 is my mother's and she would like to keep her phone number and more than likely stick with AT&T.

What would be the best method for converting Line 1 into a single line and get a good deal? My mom barely uses 300MB of data a month.

Looks like lowest plan is $20 for call, text and 500MB, and $25 for one line (assuming she is off contract). So $45 a month. That would be the best bet probably.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What is the least expensive option for a non-smartphone? I'm adding a kid to my plan and I've only ever researched smartphones. I'm guessing it's probably something on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that ATT doesn't have some stellar deal where I can add a line and get a flip phone for $2 or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Powers posted:

What is the least expensive option for a non-smartphone? I'm adding a kid to my plan and I've only ever researched smartphones. I'm guessing it's probably something on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that ATT doesn't have some stellar deal where I can add a line and get a flip phone for $2 or something.

Just add a line and buy a gophone?

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Maneki Neko posted:

Can you switch a gophone to a post paid account?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is there any reason to get an iPad through ATT? I currently have an iPad tapping into my mobile share which costs me about $10 a month. I'm planning to upgrade when the new ones get announced next month and will get another one with cell service. I'd rather just buy it outright than pay an extra $40/50 a month to finance it. However, I'm also cool with locking into ATT if there is some kind of discount since I don't plan on switch cell providers anytime soon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPads with data have GPS too. I think that's about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Swiller of Beer posted:

Can you switch a gophone to a post paid account?

Yes. It should be $15 to add a flip or text phone if you have 10GB or more of data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's highly unlikely they'll offer any promos at launch. Maybe a few months down the road. If you want one at launch there's zero reason to buy from AT&T other than them having it in stock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Is there any reason to get an iPad through ATT? I currently have an iPad tapping into my mobile share which costs me about $10 a month. I'm planning to upgrade when the new ones get announced next month and will get another one with cell service. I'd rather just buy it outright than pay an extra $40/50 a month to finance it. However, I'm also cool with locking into ATT if there is some kind of discount since I don't plan on switch cell providers anytime soon.

They always discount by $100 with two year contract, sometimes the discount is bigger than that. Sometimes they'll charge an activation fee of $40, so ask about that.

That's assuming they do two year contracts with tabs. I can't see why they wouldn't, but I guess check.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Haggins posted:

No, but there is also really no reason not to because it is a zero interest loan with no penalty to pay it off whenever you want.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maneki Neko posted:

Sounds like a plan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wife and I were going to switch to AT&T buy two phones outright this fall when new iPhones came out. I talked to the wireless kiosk at Costco and they actually have a "buy one get one free" sale on the 6Ses right now, plus $200 Costco cash card. The BOGO is essentially you amortize the cost of the phone on your bill for the next 24 months, and the other one is free. Plus you get $200 cash back. Am I missing any downsides porting two numbers from Verizon this way? Other than the standard "if you use a 3rd party reseller and cancel your contract earlier you probably owe bigtime" thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Wife and I were going to switch to AT&T buy two phones outright this fall when new iPhones came out. I talked to the wireless kiosk at Costco and they actually have a "buy one get one free" sale on the 6Ses right now, plus $200 Costco cash card. The BOGO is essentially you amortize the cost of the phone on your bill for the next 24 months, and the other one is free. Plus you get $200 cash back. Am I missing any downsides porting two numbers from Verizon this way? Other than the standard "if you use a 3rd party reseller and cancel your contract earlier you probably owe bigtime" thing.

No you're fine. They won't even have those crazy extra cancellation fees anymore.

The only thing that could happen is if you leave early you would likely have to pay the $650ish for the "free" phone. So just make sure not to cancel before 24 months.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Howdy folks

I've been clinging onto my unlimited data plan forever but I think it might be best to dump it now to not only save money but finally get native tethering.

Here's the deal: We have an ancient plan with 2 iPhones and 2 dumb phones for my grandparents. My iPhone has unlimited and the other one has like 2 or 3GB, either way it never comes close to the limit. On my unlimited plan I don't really pay attention to how much I use because it's unlimited but I think some months I use 2gb and others I use 6, so it definitely fluctuates. In total we pay $180/month. This is with a 19% discount I got from work. I don't work at that company anymore so if I switch plans I am not sure if I will lose that discount or not.

Is there a better deal out there? I think that 10gb of data is MORE than enough for our two phones.

edit: It looks like the 15GB share plan gives us everything I need and shows up as $210 on the website, so if I less the 19% that brings me right back to $180. So I lose unlimited but I get tethering and since I am breaking my contract with my unlimited AT&T should go ahead and let me unlock my 6S too, right?

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 27, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

Howdy folks

I've been clinging onto my unlimited data plan forever but I think it might be best to dump it now to not only save money but finally get native tethering.

Here's the deal: We have an ancient plan with 2 iPhones and 2 dumb phones for my grandparents. My iPhone has unlimited and the other one has like 2 or 3GB, either way it never comes close to the limit. On my unlimited plan I don't really pay attention to how much I use because it's unlimited but I think some months I use 2gb and others I use 6, so it definitely fluctuates. In total we pay $180/month. This is with a 19% discount I got from work. I don't work at that company anymore so if I switch plans I am not sure if I will lose that discount or not.

Is there a better deal out there? I think that 10gb of data is MORE than enough for our two phones.

edit: It looks like the 15GB share plan gives us everything I need and shows up as $210 on the website, so if I less the 19% that brings me right back to $180. So I lose unlimited but I get tethering and since I am breaking my contract with my unlimited AT&T should go ahead and let me unlock my 6S too, right?

Are you getting a new phone or anything ? I take it your lines are still under contract, so the question is will ATT void it if you stay on the plan.

The 15GB plan is $100 for the call/text/data and $15 a line off contract. That's $160, then factor in your discount which drops it to about $140 plus tax.

I think the only reason you are showing at $210 is smart phones are $40 under two year contract. I would really reach out to ATT and really try and get them to fix that if your contract is voided anyway.

For bartering or for another option: Verizon's version currently is $80 for $16GB (normally 12GB) or $100 for $100 for 22GB, and it's $20 a line, so either $160 or $180 plus tax. Not sure if you would get a discount through your new job or anything? The old discount certainly couldn't be applied.

If you have the iPhone 6 or newer they work on Verizon as well. You would have to get the phones unlocked, either ATT would do it immediately because your contract is voided or they would do it when you switch.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you getting a new phone or anything ? I take it your lines are still under contract, so the question is will ATT void it if you stay on the plan.

The 15GB plan is $100 for the call/text/data and $15 a line off contract. That's $160, then factor in your discount which drops it to about $140 plus tax.

I think the only reason you are showing at $210 is smart phones are $40 under two year contract. I would really reach out to ATT and really try and get them to fix that if your contract is voided anyway.

For bartering or for another option: Verizon's version currently is $80 for $16GB (normally 12GB) or $100 for $100 for 22GB, and it's $20 a line, so either $160 or $180 plus tax. Not sure if you would get a discount through your new job or anything? The old discount certainly couldn't be applied.

If you have the iPhone 6 or newer they work on Verizon as well. You would have to get the phones unlocked, either ATT would do it immediately because your contract is voided or they would do it when you switch.

Okay cool, thanks. I chatted with AT&T and I couldn't get a clear answer from them if the contract would be totally voided on my unlimited. Either way I think it might be worth switching? Even if the contract isn't voided, both contract phones are up in September, so I thin kthe price would be:

(100+15+15+40+40)*.81 = 170.1 plus tax

In September when contracts are up it will be:
(100+15+15+15+15)*.81=$129.60 plus tax

Does that add up? If so I think I'm going to do it.

Re: unlocking, they did confirm my phone would not be eligible to be unlocked until September unless I completely left AT&T with my unlimited line. The good news is I manged to get it unlocked on their website anyways! Not sure how it all works exactly but what I did was put in my ESN or whatever but used a different, off-contract, number that is on my account and BAM instantly got the unlock confirmation. I popped in my iPad's T-Mobile SIM and it their logo popped up on the top left instead of AT&T, so that means I'm unlocked right?

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

Okay cool, thanks. I chatted with AT&T and I couldn't get a clear answer from them if the contract would be totally voided on my unlimited. Either way I think it might be worth switching? Even if the contract isn't voided, both contract phones are up in September, so I thin kthe price would be:

(100+15+15+40+40)*.81 = 170.1 plus tax

In September when contracts are up it will be:
(100+15+15+15+15)*.81=$129.60 plus tax

Does that add up? If so I think I'm going to do it.

Re: unlocking, they did confirm my phone would not be eligible to be unlocked until September unless I completely left AT&T with my unlimited line. The good news is I manged to get it unlocked on their website anyways! Not sure how it all works exactly but what I did was put in my ESN or whatever but used a different, off-contract, number that is on my account and BAM instantly got the unlock confirmation. I popped in my iPad's T-Mobile SIM and it their logo popped up on the top left instead of AT&T, so that means I'm unlocked right?

Your discount is based off of the $100/15GB data plan charge, not the line access fees or anything else.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I switched to AT&T, already got some sweet HDVoice action talking to a friend :swoon:

Because the Costco wireless stand didn't have the phone my wife wanted in stock, they gave her line a fake number and we are going to port it from Verizon when the phone comes in this week. What's the easiest procedure that will cause us the least hassle to clobber that line and replace it with another number?

So far I have:
1. Activate phone out of box
2. go to AT&T site and "port number"
3. .... hope there's a selection to replace a current line number?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thanks for the GoPhone tip, friends. Got a flip phone for $15 at Best Buy and dropped in a free SIM from a corporate store.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Question: I'm on my wife's family's plan, which has 2 smartphones on the 3gb/mo plan and 3 with unlimited data. All together we use 7-12 gb/mo and it would be cheaper to switch everything to a mobile share plan. Can the unlimited plans be dumped using the price hike to avoid the ETF, and those 3 lines rejoin the plan without losing the 3 phone numbers? Or would they have to port them out and then back in?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dyne posted:

Question: I'm on my wife's family's plan, which has 2 smartphones on the 3gb/mo plan and 3 with unlimited data. All together we use 7-12 gb/mo and it would be cheaper to switch everything to a mobile share plan. Can the unlimited plans be dumped using the price hike to avoid the ETF, and those 3 lines rejoin the plan without losing the 3 phone numbers? Or would they have to port them out and then back in?

Unless something has drastically changed, just change the old family plan to a mobile share plan and you're good, no need to mess with anything else (that's all I did anyway).

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

dyne posted:

AT&T COR Goon here, Maneki is right, you will only need to convert the plan into a 15GB Mobile Share Value plan. You won't need to port the numbers out port anything. I am not sure what you mean about the price hike though? How many lines are in contract? That will affect your pricing on Mobile Share some.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I was referring to the $5 price increase ($30 to $35) for the grandfathered in unlimited data plans that started last month. We received a message that we could use that as a means of terminating the contract for those 3 lines without having to pay the ETF. What I thought we could do is end the unlimited data (terminate the contract) on those 3 lines, and since we'd be keeping the 3 old phones we'd be able to add them to the converted mobile share value plan for $15/line. Since we'd be terminating the contract for those 3 lines, I worried that we'd be losing those numbers.

The two other lines are just regular 3 gb/mo lines, so there's 5 total. One of the lines is nearly a year into the 2 year contract, the other one is month to month.

Edit: and if it matters, we're currently on the familytalk plan. I don't think the plan has really been modified at all since I joined it a couple years ago.

dyne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 21, 2016

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

dyne posted:

I was referring to the $5 price increase ($30 to $35) for the grandfathered in unlimited data plans that started last month. We received a message that we could use that as a means of terminating the contract for those 3 lines without having to pay the ETF. What I thought we could do is end the unlimited data (terminate the contract) on those 3 lines, and since we'd be keeping the 3 old phones we'd be able to add them to the converted mobile share value plan for $15/line. Since we'd be terminating the contract for those 3 lines, I worried that we'd be losing those numbers.

The two other lines are just regular 3 gb/mo lines, so there's 5 total. One of the lines is nearly a year into the 2 year contract, the other one is month to month.

Edit: and if it matters, we're currently on the familytalk plan. I don't think the plan has really been modified at all since I joined it a couple years ago.

You would need to port those unlimited lines out to keep the numbers, but I am not sure if you want to go through that. I would call retention or customer care and see if there is anyway to take care of you without you having to leave AT&T.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Warranty repair question:

So I just signed up earlier this month and got a pair of S7 edges for the buy one get one deal. One of them has a problem with the app switch button not lighting up and some times acting like it is being pressed and held (starts split screen mode) when I am not pressing it.

These phones are out side of the return/exchange period. They were bought from best buy.

I am worried about messing up the buy one get one deal, and also don't want to be with out my phone for any longer than I have to.

What is the best way to get it replaced? Contact att, best buy, or Samsung?

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Warranty repair question
AT&T has warranty support that would cover that. You can chat them online after logging into your account or call 800.801.1101 on a different device. If you live far from a warranty center they will send you a replacement by mail and you would return the defective unit. Your BOGO wouldn't be affected.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Darilian posted:

AT&T has warranty support that would cover that. You can chat them online after logging into your account or call 800.801.1101 on a different device. If you live far from a warranty center they will send you a replacement by mail and you would return the defective unit. Your BOGO wouldn't be affected.

Thanks for this. Online support was able to get a replacement ordered for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009
So what's up with the new activation fee? I have an iPhone, nexus and Lumina I like to switch SIMs between. Will I get charged every time I swap?