Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Can anyone tell me how AT&T's retarded phone unlocking policy works because they don't seem to know...

My contract is up on September 14th, I'm trying to ditch my iPhone 5 ASAP unlocked. My last month of service before my contract is up has already been billed and I have already replaced my iPhone 5 with an LG G3 that is not under contract, the phone was replaced an the IMEI doesn't match the AT&T phone that they though was under contract which cause problems with replacing my iPhone 5 with the LG G3.

According to AT&T my LG G3 is actually the phone under contract even though given to me for free by LG which is fine because I am keeping it, they say my iPhone 5 is off contract and should be able to be unlocked. Either situation is idiotic to me, but I would guess from their end it makes more sense to keep the more valuable current phone active on my account on contract?

I should be able to upgrade to an iPhone 5S on contact anyways at this point since it is less than a month for my contract to be up and my bill is current, my last bill before the contract is up has already been billed anyways and due before the contract is up.

I put in the request online and it wouldn't even take my full password because it was too long, the status just says pending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI ATT Next is literally buying the phone outright. Next 12 is $32.50 a month for the phone over 20 months, which is $650. You get the option to upgrade at 12 months by trading in the phone and getting a new phone on phone payment plan.

As far as I can tell it is more like a hybrid lease/finance deal because a huge component of the deal is they basically give you a guaranteed buyback value of the phone regardless of the condition (As long as it still powers on/is in one piece) of the phone or the market.

I'm leaning heavily towards Next because I would like to upgrade every year, I can easily afford to upgrade every year if I sold my old phone but the prospect of selling my phone, figuring out the best value for doing so, making sure I don't get scammed, etc has seemed like too much of a pain in the rear end/risky. I got a free LG G3 last month so I went ahead and sold my iPhone 5 in preparation for buying an iPhone 6 and I did not enjoy the overall experience. It wasn't bad but even stuff like the $5 the took off for a tiny scratch on on the screen of a completely flawless phone that I absolutely could not see left a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, yeah, I could front the money, take super good care of the phone, time and shop the market to get the best price and likely come out ahead but maybe not, it seems like $50-$100 a year isn't that much to pay to be able to walk into an AT&T store next year, hand in a battered iPhone 6 and walk out with a brand new iPhone 6S. But maybe I am missing something.

Oh, another question about the AT&T Next, I think I might buy a new car in the same time frame of the iPhone 6, AT&T says online that I am eligible for Next with no down payment, I've been a customer in good standing at over $100 a month for like a decade, I've never seen them ding my credit report even for things like turning on international roaming and based on what the rep says that if you have been a long term customer they base the credit on your payment history with AT&T not your credit report which makes sense. I'm not worried about passing a credit check but if it takes what, even a tiny fraction of a point on a car loan it could cost me way more than just doing a standard upgrade/buying the phone outright. Can anyone confirm that they don't pull your credit if you have already been a long term customer?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gizmodo posted:

As expected, would-be iPhone 6 owners are currently wading through a torrent of trade-in and upgrade offers. It's all very, very confusing. But AT&T is being clear about one thing: If you trade in an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, or 5C, you will get at least $200 credit towards a new device*.

That's pretty good, if you want to join up with AT&T! And it's especially good if you own an iPhone 4, which is about to be obsolete. Presumably this applies to working handsets only, but we've asked AT&T for clarification on just how messed up your device can be. If you trade in an iPhone 5S, you'll get $300 in credit. You can also get an extra $100 in bill credit "with the purchase of any iPhone when activating a new line of service with a smartphone on AT&T Next," a plan that lets you pay for your phone over monthly installments.

This is a good deal, but not necessarily the best out there. T-Mobile and Sprint promise to meet or beat any other trade-in deal. T-Mobile will also give you an extra $50, if you can find someone that will offer as much as they will. In a phone call with Gizmodo last week, a T-Mobile representative said that they're offering as much as $350 for the iPhone 5S. Which is super good. So trade wisely.

* - The deal doesn't start until Friday, September 12, so don't be concerned if you don't see it on AT&T's website before then!

Hold on, can any of you confirm this? It's Gizmodo so blah but I was going to hold off on the iPhone 6 but a $200 credit on my iPhone 4 is incredibly appealing. The only reason I have been keeping it around was it works on my gym treadmill but I could find a banged up iPod touch for that.

edit:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-10/at-t-offers-300-credit-with-iphone-trade-in.html

Bloomberg posted:

AT&T Inc. (T) will let customers trade in their old iPhone for a new iPhone 6 and as much as a $300 credit, joining the wave of deals across the industry designed to lure more subscribers.

The offer will start Sept. 12, the same day Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s new devices will be available for pre-order, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook said today in a phone interview. The phones that are traded in have to be in good working order to qualify, he said. AT&T is now the last of the four major national wireless providers to announce a promotion this week targeted at winning iPhone customers.

Each year, carriers count on new iPhones to help gain market share and data-hungry smartphone users as overall growth in wireless customers slows. After Apple unveiled the iPhone 6 yesterday, Sprint Corp. announced the “iPhone for Life” plan, which for $70 a month lets users rent the iPhone 6 and upgrade to a new version every two years. Verizon Communications Inc. is offering a $200 gift to customers who trade in older models and sign up for a new two-year contract, and T-Mobile US Inc. says it will top the best trade-in price with an added $50.

AT&T already offers two deals that also will be extended to the new versions of the iPhone: get a $100 credit on your bill when you purchase any iPhone and add a new phone line to an AT&T Next account; or buy an iPhone for no money down with AT&T Next and get a $200 discount on any iPad.

So this looks like it totally changes my upgrade calculus, I am on a 450/1000 text/4GB data plan and pay $95 a month, I own an LG G3 off contract, contract is up on the 19th. By the looks of the plans it was going to be the same price on Mobile Share off contract as staying on my current plan that meets my needs and using a 2 year standard upgrade which seemed like a really bad deal but $200 might change things significantly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I can find no catch, I mean there has to be a catch that is preventing my dad from taking my iPhone 4 into the store, buying an iPhone 5C/S and me spending the card on whatever, right?

I guess part of the catch is iPhone 6+ are backordered way, way, way past the end of the promo and iPhone 6s will probably be by the time the promo really picks up steam, they can probably make part of it up on better margins if they can steer some people off iPhones onto Android?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 12, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

The only catch is that card has to be spent with AT&T. Service, accessories, another phone...

I saw Visa and missed the part that said it has to be spent on AT&T. But it says it includes paying your AT&T wireless bill and seeing as I have AT&T wireless and money is fungible so that $200 is money I would have spent on my bill anyways back in my general fund.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Trip report:

Went to the AT&T store with my launch iPhone 4, my dad bought an iPhone 5S for $99, I walked out with a $200 AT&T card which I paid my phone bill with, seems like a pretty awesome deal if you have an old iPhone laying around.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SimpleCoax posted:

Edit: Also, if I have the money already to buy retail, is the only advantage of Next the activation fee?

Well there is the guaranteed trade in value and in general when someone offers you a zero interest loan all thing being equal to pay up front/take the loan there tends to be nothing but potential upside to taking the loan.

Money is fungible, if you have any debt whatsoever taking the zero interest loan and applying the money to your debt probably makes more sense. Of course most zero interest loans have huge catches because come on, they are an insanely stupid good deal but in this case there is no catch besides AT&T keeping you as a customer so...

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I've been trying to figure out if I am really on the best plan now that my contract is up and I have a new off contract smartphone so I went back to the calculator and here is where I am at:

I've been stupidly going over my data recently but I for years I had never so assuming I stop changing to mobile share looks like a meh deal, if I go to 6GB:

Still, bleh, especially keeping in mind that I have a upgrade available at the same price I am paying now ($95) that I wouldn't have with Mobile Share.

This seems kind of interesting though, with the price break at 10GB I can basically be stupid wreckless with the data and never worry about overages for $20 more a month.

Really the only phone I would consider upgrading to right now is the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB so on 12 month Next it is $42.50 a month + $115 a month for a total of $157.50 or if I stay on the plan I have now it is $399.99 + $40 upgrade fee amortized over 12 months $36.67 a month + $95 for a total of $131.67 a month ASSUMING I never go over my data again.

So basically for $25 more a month I get a stupid amount of data to be wasteful with and a new top (well, one step below) of the line phone every year? That deal doesn't sound so bad anymore.

Am I missing anything downsides to switching to Mobile Share? And say I switch to the more expensive plan, probably without upgrading right now because I am happy with my current phone but could maybe be talked into a tablet, I've got about $20 in overage charges on next month's bill, my eye on an overpriced AT&T accessory besides the tablet, is there any room to wheel and deal on anything?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dexter6 posted:

FYI, anyone planning on unlocking their old device immediately after starting a new contract, can't do it. You must wait 14 days from the time you activated the new contract to do it on the old device. I'm assuming this is because they don't want you unlocking old device and then returning the new one in your 14 day window.

AT&T's locking policy is insane, I was almost off my contract, a few weeks and was selling my iPhone 5 and ended up with a free LG G3 off-contract so I was seeing about just paying my last contract bill for my iPhone 5 which had already been billed and they said no, I had to wait for the end of the contract even though I didn't owe them anymore money on the contract.

Fine but in the stupid argument phase we came to the conclusion that since the LG G3 was added to my account, the iPhone 5 was off my account the contract actually applied to my LG G3 even though I owned it outright and my iPhone 5 was unlockable, they unlocked it no problem, they just wouldn't unlock my LG G3 until the contract was over.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Hmm. This "upgrade to 15 gigs and get 15 more free forever" promotion is sucking me in.

I don't really NEED the additional data, but the ability to stream away and tether without any concerns has my attention.

30 gigs for the price of 15. May be worth it to up my 2 line/10gig plan...

http://about.att.com/story/sign_up_by_october_31st_to_get_30gb_of_truly_shareable_data_2_10_lines_starting_at_160_month.html?sf31660675=1

I did the math and even though it was going to cost me a little more I went ahead and switched to the mobile share 10GB plan and bought a LTE tablet. Part of my reasoning was sure there was no reason I should ever, ever go over my 4 GBs but I occasionally did and with 10GB I could be completely reckless with my data usage, tablet, phone, what the hell, watch a Netflix movie or two OTA.

gently caress you AT&T, now I am so tempted to get the 30 GB for just me and my tablet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

xilni posted:

I'm very surprised AT&T would even have a double data promotion like this, although I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a tactic to get people on the 6GB and below plans to move up to bigger data plans.

I get what they are doing but there has to be a way of pricing it that isn't so confusing, I was comparing my old 450 minute/4GB data plan with the Mobile Share plans and moving to a 6 GB plan looked like a meh deal but the $10 a month price break on the phone line at the 10GB level and the numbers made a lot more sense.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TJChap2840 posted:

I get that you are mad on principal but you should just pay for AppleCare with your actual money and pay your ATT bill with the card. It is literally the same thing.

Yeah, it may not be ideal but pay your AT&T bill with it and you just freed up the cash you were going to give to AT&T anyways to spend any way you see fit, it's not like they locked you into buying overpriced accessories with it.

bvoid posted:

So I've always assumed that AT&T Next was a rip off, but I just did the math out (considering the drop in monthly charge that comes from using NEXT) and the cost over 2 years is EXACTLY the same. I don't plan on doing the trade-in thing after the 12 or 18 months or whatever, so it's the same idea for both the 2-year commitment and the NEXT plan.

Am I missing something here? Are there any hidden fees or any stipulations that I'm not seeing with NEXT?

Next is a zero interest 20 month loan with no prepayment penalty and no device premium, it is a stupid, stupid good deal in a way that you are right to be suspicious of because zero interest loans without a catch are not a thing that normally exists, there is generally some sort of major catch. If you are a long time customer they don't even do a hard pull on your credit report, there is basically no reason not to take the loan if you have good credit.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 10, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

myron cope posted:

If you buy a phone on Next, are your options 1. make only the monthly payment or 2. pay in full? What if I bought a Nexus 6 and wanted to put like $300 toward it and finance the rest? Is it just "keep that $300 in my bank account and make the monthly payments"? This may be a dumb question. Since it is 0% interest, maybe the best idea would be to just pay monthly anyway or if I'm buying outright, just go to Google directly?

You can pay it off whenever but it has to be paid in full but it's zero interest and doesn't show up as a line of credit on your credit report so there is zero downside to just making the monthly payments.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Keep in mind that they are only increasing the data on the Mobile Share plans which may or may not be a better deal if you have a legacy 4 GB Data Pro plan. Would someone please fire a shot on the 10GB plans? They should bump those up to 15 because that is what I have. Honestly like most people between my phone and my tablet I think I am going to have a hard time sucking down 10 GB, my friend and me watched a Netflix movie in HD just for the hell of it the other night, the costs to bump us up would probably be minimal overall.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Quick question. I have three lines on my account. None are in contract. We have the 15-->30 gig shared data plan.

The wife wants an iPhone 6. We are looking at NEXT (probably 12 months) or just paying the $299 and locking into a 2-yr (we don't intend to cancel the service).

What's the better play? The Apple upgrade website is ambiguous, saying "you may be able to save $25 on you data with NEXT" or something like that.

So does that mean our data, which is $130, would be reduced to $105 with NEXT? The $37.45 per month, looking at it another way, would be $12.45 (not double-dipping with the first example, just another way to understand).

Or would it just be better to pay the $299, which wouldn't add a monthly fee to our bill and be done with it?

If you are on mobile share already there is absolutely zero, zero reason not to do Next, not only is the monthly service cheaper, there is no activation fee and it is a zero interest loan. Honestly I don't know why they even offer a two year contract with the Mobile Share plans, it's a bad deal. Maybe some people with marginal credit qualify for on contract but not Next?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I was really hoping for this, I was almost tempted to do the 30 GB plan but I just couldn't justify the expense when it's hard for me to use 10 GB, 15 is just extra icing to just be wasteful with data.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

Well, you can switch to 10 GB today, and that will probably show as 15 GB tomorrow, so...

Pretty sure you have to switch your plan to a 15 GB plan tomorrow at the same cost as the current 10 GB plan. Why give people people free data indefinitely that they didn't care enough about to ask for now when you can maybe sell them on a more expensive plan after the promo is over because they didn't upgrade.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I've been on the 4 GB plan forever, I was going to get on the 6 because I was going over way to often out of my own stupidity but it basically cost the same to go on the 10 as I was paying already with my stupid overages so 10 was like, be stupid with data, pull up you Slingbox whenever just because. 15 is just awesome, for just one person I think it is the perfect balance between not spending a gently caress ton of money and never, ever worrying about data overages.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

My original point was that they have plenty of rights without locking the phone to AT&T. Locking the phone only protects their profit on service and not the profit on the phone. The phone profit is protected by the ability to blacklist the phone and put someone into collections.

Isn't AT&T already pretty strict about credit? Actually aren't all the carriers which is why the pre-paid market is so strong? I mean obviously people walk away from debt obligations all the time but the real security is not the phone it's that if you just stop paying it would probably cause major damage to your credit that would cause all sorts of headaches for you.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

15 for $100 was a free upgrade at one point. I'm glad they've made that standard.

Yeah, that's the plan I am on. Actually I upgraded to that plan because of that promotion. 15GB of data for $100 is a really solid deal IMO, I rarely go over 10GB even after upgrading and being completely careless with data but having 15 is enough to just not give a gently caress about how much data you use.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

I had a 6GB mobile share value and it's now 12 I guess. Although I am a little mad since we seemed to use like 3GB at most per month so I had a lot of rollover data built up that is now just gone, but I guess if I continue to only use 3GB a month the remaining 9GB rollover will be nice.

Data only rolls over for one month so if they doubled you from 6GB to 12GB you will have more data now even before rollover.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So I kind of feel like I am in a spot, my phone (LG G3) works-ish now but it has issues and I don't think it will make it another year. Since everyone is now timing their smartphones for summer I'm thinking I need to go ahead and upgrade now to stay in cycle with the upgrades.

Is there a good reason to not get a new phone now (Probably the S6 or Note 5) on Next 12 with the full intention of upgrading in 12 months to probably the iPhone 7? I understand that it is basically a lease and the trade in will be less than stellar but realistically I'm not going to private party sell the phone and I do want to upgrade next cycle, it seems like everyone has embraced the Apple tick tock summer launch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

As a former ATT honcho, can you write a rundown of what you would tell someone interested in the internal workings of their decision to abandon 2-years? I guess this applies to the industry as a whole now. I've googled quite a bit but can't find some exact reasoning from the company. Was it because people were just walking out on the contracts after buying a subsidized phone?

Someone is going to have to explain why people are upset about abandoning 2 year contracts to me...

The phone prices are the same and the carriers are offering zero interest loans on them with flexible terms. I bought my tablet on Next and I searched up and down to for the catch and I could not find one.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 29, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So my cellphone bit the dust this weekend, or, well, it's hobbling along, rebooting every 2mins - 2 hours even with a factory reset. Does AT&T ever run any black friday promotions? I can't seem to find anything but I could probably make it 4 days with this piece of poo poo if I could save a chunk of change. Buying either a Galaxy S6 or an iPhone 6S+

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ganon posted:

Best Buy is offering a $250 gift card if you get an S6 or Note 5 from them and pay using Next http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/samsung-offer/pcmcat748300712309.c?id=pcmcat748300712309

This is a really good deal that I tried to take advantage of today but a warning, if you have AT&T combined billing Best Buy can't upgrade you unless you decombine the billing which can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 72+ hours apparently. Which I found out in store. After leaving work. After no one brought up the issue of why the online upgrade process wasn't working on the phone and they said just to come into the store. After I just combined the bill and it screwed up my billing process so much that I just paid $520 to AT&T a few days ago.

So hopefully tomorrow, it's a stupid good deal that no one else comes close to.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Trying to keep this short and sweet- I have an unlimited iPhone data plan as part of my family plan, and both the AT&T website and customer service people over the phone are saying I basically can't change anything in the entire family plan because the whole thing is locked in due to the unlimited data plan. Overall we're paying $233 a month for my iPhone, two other smartphones with 2gb plans, and one flip phone with no data.

Is there a way to switch our minutes/texting plan to something cheaper while keeping my unlimited data or are am I going to have to lose it?

How much data are you really using? I changed my pan awhile back and went with 15 gigs and even with stupid usage I rarely go over 10

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a launch day iPhone 6 w/unlimited data for $30, 200 txts for $5, and 450 min talk for $40.

Does this mean I switch carriers when I get an iPhone 7?

Next is a way better deal than 2 year contract with AT&T for quite awhile now. Unless you have poo poo credit, then maybe you can do Next with a large deposit. Maybe, I dunno how it works out but Next has been a better deal than a 2 year contract for at least a year now unless you are poo poo at managing money.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I just bought a AT&T GoPhone Moto E as a workout phone since there is no word on bringing back the Urbane LTE which would have been perfect for me. There are still no restrictions on sticking a postpaid sim in a GoPhone, right? It was $20 cheaper for the locked version and I really don't give a poo poo about being locked carrier with a phone that I bought specifically for being destroyed falling off my bike or drunkenly getting in the pool with later this summer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I was in a similar dispute about insurance and they told me that they legally could not refund insurance payments, I called bullshit and they held firm.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Haggins posted:

Is there any reason to get an iPad through ATT? I currently have an iPad tapping into my mobile share which costs me about $10 a month. I'm planning to upgrade when the new ones get announced next month and will get another one with cell service. I'd rather just buy it outright than pay an extra $40/50 a month to finance it. However, I'm also cool with locking into ATT if there is some kind of discount since I don't plan on switch cell providers anytime soon.

No, but there is also really no reason not to because it is a zero interest loan with no penalty to pay it off whenever you want.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Uh, why did my data plan get mysteriously upgraded to Mobile Share 20 from Mobile Share 15? I didn't request an upgrade and I'm still being charged the $100 that I was paying for Mobile Share 15.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

I've never seen loyalty bumps but nothing says that policy cant change now.

I know when 10GB used to be $100, and they made the change to 15GB for $100, I was just searching reciepts of people I recently upgraded (or even upgraded in the past year) and bumped them up. For some STRANGE REASON, bumping customers to the higher data, despite it not costing any more, paid me commission. So it's very possible someone out there is doing the same thing.

Doubt it, it looks like the 15-20 gig promotion isn't even really a thing, like it's not an option in retention, they are just boosting certain customers.

I really should start using more data just wastefully or add someone to my account, I've got over 35 gigs with rollover this month.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

nimper posted:

Looks like the line access fee is $20 across the board for the new plans if you're not on contract, so it would only be a $5 savings.

Plus you can probably get them to give you 20 GB for $100 with the $15 device fee, you may want to do that. I mean unlimited sounds nice but 128k is way, way too low, I wouldn't consider it unless it was more like 500k or 1Mbps. For $5 I can imagine a situation where I would prefer to deal with 128k speed after I blow through 16 gigs instead of just being careful with the remaining 4 gigs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

triple sulk posted:

I don't know how people use so much data in a month without streaming stuff all day, but the new plans will still end up saving me $20 a month. I'm presently on the 15gb plan with two phones (off-contract) and after a 23% discount it's about 120 a month, so that'll go down to about 100 even with the extra $5/line charge. Neither phone goes over 3-4gb a month so there should always be about 12-14 after rollover. The previous issue was the gap between the 5 and 15gb plans being too large with nothing in between.

It definitely brings everything more in line with T-Mobile in particular (thanks to them for putting pressure on everyone else, at least) with considerably better coverage on the whole, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

I don't, I probably average about 6, hit 11 a few times a year, the old plans jumped from 5GB which was not enough and then jumped to 15GB. Actually I think it was 5GB, 10GB when I switched which I would occasionally go over and then they bumped it up to 15. Then AT&T upgraded a bunch of their customers to the 20GB plan for the same price as the 15GB plan so now I have 20 GB. But I'm fine with paying for 20GB, the price is reasonable for me and since I roll over at least 10 GB every month I almost always have at least 30GB sitting in my account which means for me it is effectively unlimited data. If I want to stream a movie on my tablet when there is no WiFi, gently caress, who gives a poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

These new tiers are loving trash and I'm switching to T-Mobile in September.

If you're going to lower prices just loving lower the prices, not hand it off to the line charge instead.

I have a 100$ 15gb plan with 3 lines for a total of 145$ a month. Now it's 90 + 3*20 for a new monthly cost INCREASE of 5$. gently caress you ATT.

You don't have to switch to the new plans.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Arsten posted:

The 12 month plans are obviously more expensive and some of the flagship bling bling phones can be up to $45 per month.

That said, Samsung and others are gaming the system. I bought by S6 Edge+ on NEXT, $900+ loan on the phone, something around $45 a month.

BUT, when I bought the phone they gave me a $200 gift card and then another $50 gift card for signing up for Samsung Pay. And then a free wireless charger, free battery pack (High capacity and quick charge)and free pair of nice headphones, the ebay value of which was at least $150.

So when I trade this phone in after 12 months I will have paid $540 and not counting the accessories gotten $250 back which brings the payment down to $24 a month which is pretty reasonable to replace the phone every year with one of the most expensive phones that AT&T sells (sold).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm reminded of being a kid and my parents telling me to turn the lights off. It always drove me crazy, who gives a poo poo about a light.

When I started paying my own electric bill my tune changed, lights are turned off, Nest is installed, the heater turns on when wearing hoodies around the house and the layers of blankets on my bed no longer cut it.

Kids have no idea what this poo poo costs, they can't, tell him he gets X amount of data every month and it gets shut off, if he wants more you will be happy to accept his payment and turn the data back on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
OK, am I missing something?

Current Plan:

$100 a month for 20GB
$15 for phone
$10 for Tablet
Total: $125

Unlimited Plan:
$90 for phone
$20 for tablet
=$110

Plus 20 GB of tethering between my phone and tablet and a $25 video credit.

So for $5 less each month I get unlimited data on my phone and tablet, 20 gigs of tethering, and DirecTV Now.

I get that switching to T-Mobile would be even cheaper but I am happy with AT&T, it's bundled with my U-Verse internet and they are going to activate my gigabit fiber in a few weeks so might even use the video credit and get cable again depending on the bundle price they give me for TV, internet and cell before the $25 credit.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

From what I understand, AT&T is phasing out uverse completely. They are going to start pushing customers onto DirecTV or DirecTV Now.

I think there is a bunch of general confusion because they told my condo building several months back that they were phasing out U-Verse and if we needed any more boxes we need to get them now. We have an outdated DirecTV system and when they put in fiber (not active yet) they told our building manager that they were going to disable the old system and put everyone on DirecTV over fiber that would be like the old U-Verse but branded DirecTV.

They haven't activated our fiber yet even though it is completely installed so I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding off until they get their DirecTV Fiber product launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hed posted:

I'm getting a shitton more call spam in the past week, like once per day. Different numbers and stuff. I moved recently.

Is there anything I can do to stem the tide or see who sold me out or do I just need to :sever:

My partner received 14 text messages in one night, all with different numbers but the same spam message including his first name. I couldn't believe it.

I've been using Hiya which seems to do a decent job at blocking spam calls after no more than one ring.