Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

SF Debris takes another look at Doctor Who, this time its The Time of the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

radlum posted:

For years I thought the song was an original David Hasselhoff song. The fact that it isn't just makes me dissapointed

I thought the same thing. When I first saw the Guardians of the Galaxy teaser I thought it was hilarious and awesome that Marvel was using a Hasselhoff song to promote it ironically.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! I reviewed a gay german police movie.

It wasn't police enough.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Well, it was fun defending Jontron while it lasted

Help the internet is literally lynching me

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

I usually hate the whole 'Shut up and act/sing/write' thing people throw at performers they disagree with but holy poo poo Jontron just shut the gently caress up and make stupid video game reviews.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

His last review seemed sadly phoned in. The guy seems to be in a rough patch creatively.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

What the gently caress was going though his head?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Well, to be fair...

No, wait. Can't think of a single thing to follow that statement with.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What in the actual gently caress

Think before you speak :catstare:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 21, 2014

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well, now I feel even dumber defending him. :sigh:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Well, now I feel even dumber defending him. :sigh:

You couldn't have anticipated he'd go the Full Spoony.

quickly unsubscribes from JonTron's youtube channel...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mind the walrus posted:

His last review seemed sadly phoned in. The guy seems to be in a rough patch creatively.
And I remember a lot of people here being happy when he left Game Grumps and how he was the cool person of the two.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Danny, Ross, and Arin are making real funny things on grumps lately, and somehow managing to not be tone deaf crazy narcissists. Zany.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
This has not gone full Spoony yet, but it is getting pretty bad and it's disappointing to see. He said he's gonna try and clear the air on a livestream tomorrow, but I'd advise him to calm the gently caress down first, or at least have a civil conversation with someone who disagrees with him, before he digs that hole any deeper.

Shame, he's a funny guy, I don't want this to get out of hand. I literally have not been able to watch a single Spoony video since his meltdown.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope that scumbag JonTron has learned from all this that he cannot say the word retard at a defenseless corporation and get away with it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He's also defending the harassment campaign against the Depression Quest lady. (PlebComics is more or less what you get if A.W.Mann wanted to be a bit more subtle, but just a lil'.) Then again he could film himself loving a child, shooting said child in the head, use Jacques as the condom and gently caress the kid in the bullet hole, put said footage on LiveLeak, WorldStarHipHop and Mixy under his real name, and he would still get invited to Gaming events and the parents of the dead kid would get screamed at for "believing stuff only Kotaku and Tumblr cares about".

I feel bad for the Iron Sheik and the guy who made Karate Cop for sharing a similar ethnicity from this guy. At least there wasn't a cynical attempt to co-opt the Ferguson haps this time.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 21, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kunster posted:

I feel bad for the Iron Sheik and the guy who made Karate Cop for sharing a similar ethnicity from this guy. At least there wasn't a cynical attempt to co-opt the Ferguson haps this time.

The gently caress?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I think we have to remember that these dudes are almost totally ignorant when it comes to things outside of whatever dumb hobby they enjoy. This is the same guy who waxed passionately about how cool Ron Paul is on a let's play.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

e X posted:

The gently caress?

Both being Iranian American. I guess that was a hosed up statement to say and I apologize.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Egoraptor surprisingly is reacting in the opposite way to this, apparently.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I really hope that one day Internet-celebrities would embrace the fine novelty that is PR guy whose sole function is to not let that poo poo happen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Doug got interviewed by the Huffington Post... UK version
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mat-greenfield/nostalgia-critic_b_5691825.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PiedPiper posted:

I really hope that one day Internet-celebrities would embrace the fine novelty that is PR guy whose sole function is to not let that poo poo happen.
Have to be able to pay PR people first

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kunster posted:

You are loving insane and are exactly why I'm repelled by these weekly victim parade/sjw lynchings. You cite a tweet linking to a picture I can't even see for myself before I am told exactly his evil motives and why I should be outraged (complete with the hottest buzz words). Then you hilariously imply that his actions and views are somehow representative of his entire race. And the cherry on top is you, at the end of your post, pay tribute to a guy whose modern day fame is threatening anal rape and calling people gay faggots.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I definitely hosed up there. I apologize for my actions and recent statements on this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have to be able to pay PR people first

Yea this is why these things happen. These people, thanks to the internet and poo poo, get a large amount of fame, but unlike real celebs and poo poo they don't get much money for it, so 99% probably CAN'T just hire a dude to say 'what, you want to compare yourself to lynching victims, are you a loving moron?' (granted, most people without crippling autism don't NEED that but hey here we are)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

beep by grandpa posted:

You are loving insane and are exactly why I'm repelled by these weekly victim parade/sjw lynchings. You cite a tweet linking to a picture I can't even see for myself before I am told exactly his evil motives and why I should be outraged (complete with the hottest buzz words). Then you hilariously imply that his actions and views are somehow representative of his entire race. And the cherry on top is you, at the end of your post, pay tribute to a guy whose modern day fame is threatening anal rape and calling people gay faggots.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

It was a pretty hosed up comment but you really wanna use the term lynching in this situation?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A picture that you can easily go to by typing that url, "internet buzzwords" like ethnicity and co-opt because apparently having a vocabulary = buzzwords, and a "tribute" to someone who actually bothered to going to Howard Stern, being fully aware that he was gonna get called out for some of the worst poo poo he did (Namely going after Hulk Hogan's son), instead of hiding in a hole on a twitter that's mostly run by his nephew (I think). Just that was way more initiative than what JT does, hence why I picked someone as explosive and abrasive as him.

But BBG's got a point on that I should at least keep better standards for myself if I go after someone like that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

An apt metaphor. A bit heavy-handed though, too on-the-nose, 7/10.

Oh right sorry I mean gently caress Jontron yeah he said retard he should die yeah gently caress him and stuff god what a privileged jerk

MisterBadIdea posted:

This has not gone full Spoony yet, but it is getting pretty bad and it's disappointing to see. He said he's gonna try and clear the air on a livestream tomorrow, but I'd advise him to calm the gently caress down first, or at least have a civil conversation with someone who disagrees with him, before he digs that hole any deeper.

I don't think you can have civil conversations with people who call you a sexist or abuse enabler, but let's hope for the best, to say nothing of people getting mad at him for saying an "ableist" word and then mocking him for his weight or, uh, ethnicity.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is why these things happen. These people, thanks to the internet and poo poo, get a large amount of fame, but unlike real celebs and poo poo they don't get much money for it, so 99% probably CAN'T just hire a dude to say 'what, you want to compare yourself to lynching victims, are you a loving moron?' (granted, most people without crippling autism don't NEED that but hey here we are)

Hmmmmm.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
You know given my post about JO's twitter a week ago, i don't care about twitter drama, i don't watch jontron and only watch spoony's wrestling reviews to laugh at him getting mad over non issues in the WWE. I guess i just hate twitter. and if i ever become famous for videos it will just be used for updates and funny jokes about a movie i am reviewing. and it not just internet reviewers but phil fish and that MS executive who was trashing small towns during the always online drama.

so to cheer everyone up. brad tries the state fair with Jake, Sarah and Lupa. http://www.thecinemasnob.com/brad-tries/brad-tries-the-state-fair-2014

I know this will Cheer folks up a bit.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

It was a pretty hosed up comment but you really wanna use the term lynching in this situation?

Yes, because what I am doing right now is talking to a bunch of people on the internet and what I am not doing is delivering a paid speech to jim crow survivors. Every single person in this thread who read my post knows I do not mean literal hangings. I am not offending anyone here (not that I would ever give a poo poo if the word lynch made someone who registered on Something Awful break down into tears).

Kunster posted:

A picture that you can easily go to by typing that url, "internet buzzwords" like ethnicity and co-opt because apparently having a vocabulary = buzzwords, and a "tribute" to someone who actually bothered to going to Howard Stern, being fully aware that he was gonna get called out for some of the worst poo poo he did (Namely going after Hulk Hogan's son), instead of hiding in a hole on a twitter that's mostly run by his nephew (I think). Just that was way more initiative than what JT does, hence why I picked someone as explosive and abrasive as him.

But BBG's got a point on that I should at least keep better standards for myself if I go after someone like that.

I can't follow the url because it's obviously been shortened by twitter on the screenshot (URLs do not end in '...'). Also by buzzwords I was referring to the tweet in your link, not your post. I pointed it out because if it was loving Jim Sterling's twitter saying/linking to the exact same thing in the screenshot I would still raise an eyebrow at that person's language telling me exactly how outraged I should feel. The language you used inside your [url] tags, the tweet's language and the fact that the smoking gun is a link I can't even click or type just come off so god drat sketchy, misleading and hyperbolic I can't stand it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Help! Im being lynched for being stupid and loud!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fyi dude you sound mad that you cant just run your dumb mouth without people calling you a scumbag.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 21, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Basically none of the backlash against jontron is about his original comments, but is about the way worse stuff he continues to say in order to defend himself, hth.

It's amazing how Internet gamer pseudo celebrities didn't learn literally anything from penny arcade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

beep by grandpa posted:

Yes, because what I am doing right now is talking to a bunch of people on the internet and what I am not doing is delivering a paid speech to jim crow survivors. Every single person in this thread who read my post knows I do not mean literal hangings. I am not offending anyone here (not that I would ever give a poo poo if the word lynch made someone who registered on Something Awful break down into tears).

I can't follow the url because it's obviously been shortened by twitter on the screenshot (URLs do not end in '...'). Also by buzzwords I was referring to the tweet in your link, not your post. I pointed it out because if it was loving Jim Sterling's twitter saying/linking to the exact same thing in the screenshot I would still raise an eyebrow at that person's language telling me exactly how outraged I should feel. The language you used inside your [url] tags, the tweet's language and the fact that the smoking gun is a link I can't even click or type just come off so god drat sketchy, misleading and hyperbolic I can't stand it.

If you think this is still about 'retard', it's you, you're the retard.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^ not at all

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Help! Im being lynched for being stupid and loud!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Fyi dude you sound mad that you cant just run your dumb mouth without people calling you a scumbag.
No one has called me or anyone any names a single time except for when I said something super rude to Kunster, then he apologized because he's a champ. He may or may not continue this discussion and everyone in this thread has been very polite so far so :psyduck:

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

This dissection of Phil Fish and his downfall is worth a look. Relevant to any discussion about e-fame.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

KKall posted:

This dissection of Phil Fish and his downfall is worth a look. Relevant to any discussion about e-fame.

For a guy who made a game about perspective, he really lacks a lot of his own.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all night. Albums are sold in the lobby.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

KKall posted:

The video makes a lot of fair points. One bit I'd quibble with, however, is the part where the narrator talks about the audience being upset because "Phil Fish doesn't act the way "we" feel famous people should act." Honestly, I think it's more that he didn't act the way "we" feel anyone should act." Being an arrogant rear end is unbecoming no matter how many twitter followers you have.

That said, the video does smartly zero in on the internet's tendency to latch on to certain people it considers a heel and just never let up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

An apt metaphor. A bit heavy-handed though, too on-the-nose, 7/10.

Oh right sorry I mean gently caress Jontron yeah he said retard he should die yeah gently caress him and stuff god what a privileged jerk

I don't think you can have civil conversations with people who call you a sexist or abuse enabler, but let's hope for the best, to say nothing of people getting mad at him for saying an "ableist" word and then mocking him for his weight or, uh, ethnicity.

Hmmmmm.

:laffo:

• Locked thread