Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Just joined a match where I spotted a vanguard with his back turned. I figured I'd make short work of him with my mace, so I dodged into his back right as he was finishing up a horizontal with the billhook. It somehow connects and I'm killed instantly.

I think I'm done with this game until the devs fix the horseshit that needs fixing, rather than buffs to vanguards and nerfs to everything that can counter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought they fixed the tutorial map change quite a few patches ago.

At least we got our vet helmets back though :toot:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

az posted:

If you drag downwards while overheading it reaches the hitbox faster :wotwot:

On pretty much all of the large weapons it causes them to connect instantly. Said weapons are also the ones that kill MaA and Archers in one overhead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The starting mace kills Vanguards in 2 horizontal slashes, which is pretty useful, but more often than not you'll die to the horseshit associated with vanguards as a whole so it's effectiveness gets hit pretty hard. Seriously, half the time I'll queue up an attack at the same time as another guy, but his spear or halberd will beat me out, even if it is an overhead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, they're just like knights, except when they click LMB they telekinetically kill anyone behind them.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Lowgrav servers are the best. gently caress the objective, go explorin'

dong_nougat and I did just that last night, and I decided to record the fruits of our labors.

Stoneshill, Battlegrounds, and Citadel had to most poo poo to jump off/explore. At least, I think those are the right map names. The maps in pictures 1, 3, and 5 were a hoot to jump around in.

Later on an admin on the server came on and started up a fight club, changing the game speed and damage multiplier based on what the winner of the bout picked. That was a blast as well, and I recorded most of my fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk6xtfpnhQM

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The other day I found out that you can one hand the Longsword, SoW, and Messer by hitting 1 with a shield equipped.

I've also found that jumping off high ledges to obliterate people below you is hilarious. Stoneshill and Dark Forest are great for this. :v:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The key is putting as many projectiles downfield as possible in the shortest amount of time. So use the sling :madmax:

I don't know if they buffed the quarterstaff or what, but holy poo poo does it own hard. Sidestepping every swing from a Vanguard or Knight while you wreck them is extremely satisfying. Is seems the alt horizontal comes out really quickly, so I've been using that to tag people as I circle around them and run past. :snoop:

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 15, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
These two dingbats before me forgot the most important piece of advice: always be mashing c while sprinting, and at all other times you should be spamming x-x-2/3.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Hilarion posted:

I played more Jedi Outcast/Academy duels than I care to admit to. I can attest to some real bullshit in that game. Plus, if so inclined, you could spin like a jackass and instagib someone.

So how is this any different? :v:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Exodee posted:

You know, after having played on some 32+ player servers, I can see where you guys are coming from when it comes to Vanguards. When nobody is able to pay attention to you it's all too easy to just grab the biggest weapon you have and flail it around in a big melee. That those servers tend to be laggier doesn't help either, of course. Either way, lower-pop servers feel a lot more balanced overall.

You can enable weapon hitboxes in the console by typing in aoc_drawtracer 1. They seem to be accurate with the weapon models though, so it's probably mostly the lag that does it.

This isn't exclusive to 32+ player servers though. I never play above 24 player servers and there's always a bunch of idiot Vanguards running around teamkilling because they're too goddamn stupid to know what an overhead or stab is. Yet they're also topping the scoreboard because as long as you get a kill it's acceptable losses :downs:

Not to mention that kickvotes never pass against them, yet archers who fire a single arrow near a teammate are gone instantly.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I see nothing but good things in those patch notes. Hopefully the hitting the ground thing applies to Vanguards whiffing overheads with a polearm.

Hell, even if it doesn't, they should be able to be flinched with reasonable consistency without obliterating you with another overheads immediately afterwards.

E: being able to cause ballistae to rotate by spectating the player using it sounds absolutely hilarious and I'm disappointed that I didn't get to dick around with it at all.

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 30, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Didn't fists and blunt weapons already explode heads? Does that mean that they're finally displayed in the killfeed properly?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Running around backwards at lightspeed is officially the best thing.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Elth posted:

Didn't they already fix those? I distinctly remember having my vet helmets, and seeing the trebuchet name fix in the latest patch notes.

They broke again.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

I picked it this during the weekend sale since I enjoyed it so much and it was 8 euros. I've managed to get good enough to finish as the MVP 90% of the time. I used to play all the classes, but now I'm mostly sticking to Vanguard. My high skill strategy for winning is the following:

1. Pick the Claymore
2. Forget the other weapons, you won't need them
3. Sprint towards enemy(s)
3. Move to their right side so that you'll pass them and use the alternative horizontal strike to initiate the fight. People rarely manage to block it right because it comes from an awkward angle to them. So far the only thing that counters it reliably is a long range stab.
4. Proceed to spam alternative strike. Also, every time you begin the attack, turn your character so that the enemy soldier is on the side your attack launches from. The attack comes out much faster this way.
5. Mix up your poo poo with stabs, overheads and feints when needed. Try to be aggressive rather than defensive. Your attacks are hard to punish.
6. If you're up against multiple enemies, don't fret! Just try to avoid getting surrounded,
spam that horizontal strike and try to keep them at the very edge of the claymore's range. They will all just try to stab you and will get interrupted. Or they'll just kill each other.
7. If you feel like being extra pro, duck whenever someone uses a horizontal strike or a stab that you can't block, it might miss if you do. It becomes a reflex pretty quickly.
8. Finish as MVP
9. Say "easy"

I trimmed the guide down a bit, should still have the same results :v:.

I've been using the HWS a lot recently, and it destroys. It's extremely quick, about as long as the flanged mace, and still 3 shots knights despite the reduction in damage. I can't ever seem to parry properly with it though.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Reiley posted:

I bought this game a while ago but finally tried it out in a FFA server and it is fantastic. Can you bind voice shortcuts to certain keys? I want x -> 8 to be more immediately accessible.

Hit x or z a second time to flip the menu, so x-8 becomes x-x-2 I think.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Kimiko posted:

Hey everyone! Welcome to our Friday Update!

Sorry, this was put out a little later than normal due to waiting for a couple of things!

* First off, we’re excited to give you a sneak peak on our new customization in game. Like we said previously, you can change the background pattern and colors of your outfit for both team play and FFA, as well as customize emblems. You can see nice close up views of your character and spin them around to see how it looks from all angles. You can choose which helm you’d like your character to wear from this screen as well.

Team:

FFA:

* Secondly, phase 4 of the beta build should have been online sometime tonight, however, Steam decided to be difficult at that exact moment, so most likely we’ll have to wait until Monday. Sorry! :( So to tide you over until it’s officially updated, here are a few fixes and alterations written up by SlyGoat, of what’s to come. Balance changes shall wait til’ Monday!

CU1 Patch 2 Beta 4 (Just a preview of what's to come!)

Fixes:
-Projectile stickies should work again.
-Assists now properly awarded to both teams.
-Alt slash tracers for fists draw properly.
-Projectile speed should no longer be influenced by framerate.

Alterations:
-Special daze length from 1.5 seconds to 2.
-Ranged weapons no longer flinch on hit (attack is canceled instead), and can now cancel attack at any time.
-One-handed bastard swords withut a shield now 'officially' supported; 1 will toggle between one-handed and two-handed, 3 will toggle shield if equipped.
-Vanguard sprint attack can now be rebound to a key other than mouse 1 to allow you to perform normal slash attacks with a sprint attack readied.

New experimental feint changes:
-Attack grunt will play in the last 200 ms of windup - beyond this point attacks may not be feinted.
-Combos can no longer be feinted.

Stamina drain changes:
-Stamina drain from parrying an attack is now locked between 8 and 25, from 7-35.
-Stamina drain more consistently based on relative weapon weight rather than damage.
-Less cases of minimum or maximum stamina drain outside of extreme circumstances like maul vs. dagger.

Chase boost changes:
-Chase boost now only activates against an enemies with their backs turned.
-Chase boost activates from further away.

Low stamina sounds updated:
-A wheezing sound will loop when you're under 30% stamina.
-Out of stamina grunt plays when you try to perform an action you don't have enough stamina for, rather than when you swing with 0 stamina.

More to come next week!

Kimiko; Community Manager

I'm not really looking forward to the chase boost changes, since I think that it's a loving stupid system in the first place, especially since it enables a Knight to outrun a MaA at an already ridiculous range. I think the stamina cost change will be for the better though, and will cut down on the number of Vanguard swinging Zweihanders literally nonstop.

Customization is pretty nice as well, now I can chop mans while being the prettiest princess on the battlefield :toot:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
So apparently, if you have a shield equipped and it gets hit while idle, it will still damage you. Not only that, but it's counted as head damage. Great job, TB! :downsbravo:

It's being fixed in the next patch, but still.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

Well, apparently I've gotten pretty good with the heavy javelin. I keep getting kicked off FFA servers when I use it. I guess stealing kills with vanguard lmbs is fine but doing it with the javelin isn't? Or maybe it's the MAAs and archers who dislike being one shotted. I don't know.

face me like a man coward archer human being :reject:

This community really is the worst. I don't think you can go a round without someone making GBS threads something racist or homophobic into the chat.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Jav/heavy jav is the best for loving poo poo up. For whatever reason people just don't expect archers to be so aggressive and pay the price for it. Then once I'm out of javs, I go to town with the shortsword. I should really rebind stab to M1 the next time I play.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The shortsword is amazing as well. Just two stabs to the chest and MaAs and Archers are down, and just 3 for Vanguards.

Best of all, it's available from the start.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Did anyone else's performance go to poo poo recently? Since what must have been the last patch, I went from never dropping below 30FPS, to constantly sub 20. The game's become unplayable. Do the most recent Radeon drivers have issues with Chivalry or something?

The game's just really poorly optimized. I can run most modern games on high or more but with this game I'm lucky to break 30 FPS at the lowest settings.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Tortolia posted:

People get so mad from a Man at Arms hucking fire pots into big melees. It's not often you get kills but man do people get agitated.

It also helps to pause to type "SSSSSSSSSSMOKIN'" in chat after every firepot kill.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

But where's the fun in killing someone if you don't get to run up their face screaming wildly as you mash them into a bloody pulp? :unsmigghh:

Are there any weapons that are completely terrible and I should never use? I can't tell if they are all supposed to be balanced or if some are jokes. I mean archers can use slings, really?!?

The flails and the double axe are pretty much trash. Otherwise, the weapons are all pretty decent if you know how to use them.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The bardiche is a balanced and well thought out weapon :shepface:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Just played a few round of LTS on Ruins where a MaA would do nothing buy hide in the foliage and spam voice commands. A few times a Mason would walk right up next to him or even run into him and just keep on going. At one point he had all of the remaining Mason's within 20 feet of him.

I don't know who or where you are Besmirches, but you're doing gods work :911:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The charge attack with the Bardiche is pretty nasty, too. It's just a short hop but if you connect you can chain into a near instant overhead, which will outright kill anyone but a knight.

After 100+ hours and not really touching vanguard for more than a few minutes at a time, it blows my mind just how piss easy it is to do well and rack up kills as vanguard. I ended up unlocking the entire halberd tree in just over 3 TO rounds, when I'm normally lucky to get between 15-20 kills as an Archer or MaA.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there any reason to use the HWS instead of the Norse sword? The Norse Sword seems to have just flat out better stats than it in every way.

It's blunt damage rather than stab/slash, so you get a damage bonus to every class. It can 2 hit vanguards with horizontals if one hits the head, and I also think it combos and completes swings faster.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I went into some FFA-Duel server the other day and it was mostly Level 40+ people, I'm a mere level 28 and got my rear end handed to me but to say there's anything even remotely elegant about 'skilled' chiv play is a blatant lie, sword dragging and ridiculous feint to parry moves look spastic and idiotic.

Heh, sounds like another scrub who can't handle ~*Promod*~ :smug::smug::smug:

I honestly don't understand how people can look at Chivalry and go "Yeah this game has balanced and working mechanics, let's sperg the gently caress out with clans and competitive matches :pcgaming:"

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

dog nougat posted:

My new fav thing is to feint someone into parrying. Kill them, then mash laugh over their corpse. Bonus points if you're a Mason knight. That laugh pretty accurately portrays my amusement.

This works pretty well with firepot kills too, especially if it's some game design expert who hasn't played a second of any class other than vanguard.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Griz posted:

Is that on the tavern map with the booze barrels? I don't actually play the game on that map, I just go straight to the barrels and then run around yelling because the drunk audio effect is hilarious.

Just stand at the barrels and spam taunt/laugh. Most are designated a 'safe zone' so you can't deal or receive damage within a few feet of them. Pubbies somehow refuse to understand this so you'll be called all sorts of delightful things.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I really, really don't like how they made it so that you can't queue an attack mid-dodge. The cooldown isn't bad, but this? This is the real killer. I've died so much more due to not being able to close the distance after making someone whiff, or just because the fights have been prolonged because I can't get in there to finish it up so some rear end in a top hat comes from behind and obliterates me.

I still do reasonably well as a MaA, but now it's so much harder than it already was.

I've also started using lead ammo for the sling, and it really makes a difference in stopping power and crowd control. I just wish it had more ammo though. 25 is pretty low.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

QwertySanchez posted:

For all the poor people who've had kills not count recently, go into My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\ and open a file called UDKStats.ini, those numbers are all your kills for the various weapon tiers. Edit them appropriately to unlock whatever weapons you're wanting.

I'm pretty sure this only works for offline matches with bots.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess I just got lucky then, since out of the 50 or so duel matches I've played everyone has been pretty cordial to each other, with lots of 'gf's and 'nice hit's between every round. Maybe it's just that I haven't played duel as much as the rest of the modes, but whenever I got fed up with idiot teammates and invincible vanguards and switched to duel I've always had a good time, even if I didn't win.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

Sometimes funny, sometimes annoying. When six out of twelve people on a FFA server are named Sir Somethingor other, running around as a vet helmet vanguard blob and spewing Xbox live grade insults every time they kill someone, meh. I once saw a pair of archers working together obviously, but that seemed more of a desperate bid to survive against the rank 40+ mega killstreak vanguard on a server full of otherwise single digit rankers. They actually left my MMA alone for the most part unless I ran right at them.

In my experience a player with the name of a Game of Thrones character is a real piece of poo poo and wont hesitate to call you a cheap friend of the family spic kike noob the moment you kill him.

quote:

Though I gotta wonder how some people pull it off when it's less obvious like 'Veteran helmet Vanguard Gang' and a mixed group of pals, considering the only time I've ever seen name popups is in Team vs modes and even then, only when you put your crosshair over a nearby teammember.

If someone is on your friends list their name appears in green over their character regardless of mode or team.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

I'd love them to expand the punching to kick/sweeps or something. I'd also like them to fix punching being so lovely at times that I can't reliably hit things my fists are touching. If they did either of those I'd do nothing but fisticuffs all the time.

Punching was perfectly viable until the last patch or two. The hitboxes were 'tightened up' just for punches, presumably because too many manchildren who refuse to switch from their greatswords cried about being stunlocked.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

I dunno guys, I took the quarterstaff out for another spin and I'm still not convinced. It's sort of fast I guess, but nothing compared to the norse sword or the holy water sprinkler, both which do equal or better damage.

In duel mode, it's actually quite good, especially against knights and vanguards. Outside that though all it's really good for it whacking people and running away laughing. It also supposedly makes you dodge faster, but I've never really paid attention enough to compare the effects.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
There is nothing more satisfying or tear producing than watching a Vanguard or Knight slowly zig-zag up to you and then doming them with you HCB as soon as they straighten out in the last 10 feet to start their attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Any goons got a group going?

HMU: http://steamcommunity.com/id/robotrandy

• Locked thread