Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shapiro posted:

I just don't get the phrase "caught up in his pace." I mean, I understand it, but... it's not a thing people actually say, is it?

Not Americans, no, but if I've learned anything from anime, it's that the Japanese love the term "pace." As in the English word, not as a translation. People are always talking about their pace. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

In this week's Jump, Oda wrote "I'm so sorry for worrying everyone. I keep on acting as if I'm invincible."

What a guy. :shobon: I do hope he's okay though. It's been said before in the last thread, but anything happening to him and One Piece getting cut short would be devastating.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mountain Lightning posted:

Luffy instantly offering the fruit to Franky was priceless. This arc is amazing so far. I hope LIGHTNING SOLIDER OF RAGE joins the crew. Franky can fix his leg and give him some neat weapons and gadgets, then they can combine and create a new Battle Franky mecha~! I loving love mechas.

I knew the moment they mentioned the women stab dudes that Sanji would get wrangled into it but I never expected him to be part of a murder plot. Zoro is going to stumble upon the Smile Factory and find out the fairies make the Smile.

Also did anyone else notice the lack of Robin and Sanji in the cover spread? I was very upset about this but Oda used The Police lyrics so it's kinda okay.
Franky was missing too! Which was very disappointing, but I still loved the spread. Oda's are always so drat fun.

Luffy offering the fruit to Franky made me so happy. I knew he would care about it, it's his brother's fruit after all, but I'm glad that he's the kind of person who would rather happily hand it off to any of his friends rather than keep it as a keepsake or something.

Definitely loving everything about this arc though! I like Violet's design too, I wonder who it is she wants to kill? Could be another person out for Doflamingo's blood, I don't see it being anyone non-important.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh hell yes! If we get a 3D quality successor to Jump Ultimate Stars, I will be happy basically forever. There won't be enough OP characters though, there never are... But I have high standards.

I wonder if we'll get any JoJo characters, since that series is already getting a full fighting game?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't know if it's bad writing or not, I was a huge fan of Bellamy and I'm as happy to see him again as Burgess. I just want him to lose his poo poo when he sees Luffy again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

The problems I have with Bellamy returning aren't that he's alive, just that he's very out of place. Why did Doflamingo pick him to enter if he wanted him dead for his lovely ideals? Why did he pick a lovely guy with a low bounty who got wrecked in one hit? Why does he want the prize if he can't eat it? Is he getting it on behalf of Doflamingo, the guy who OWNS said prize? If so, why even have a tournament at all?
Because all of that happened over two years ago and unlike certain other manga, OP characters change over time? Bellamy could be monstrously powerful now if Doflamingo forced him somehow to change in exchange for his survival. Bellamy's failure nearly cost him his life once and Doflamingo is a scary guy, who wouldn't step their game up, and fast, if they knew that another failure would call down that man's wrath on them again?

As for bounties, remember Blackbeard beat Ace without a bounty, so that's really no judgment. And Kabanaw summed up Mango's plans well enough: This whole show is for Luffy, he's certainly got a role to play.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I think my main problem with Bellamy coming back is that really it should have been Sarkies. For all we knew he was still alive and he can actually eat the fruit too.

Anyway, who do people think the next cover arc is likely to feature? I get the feeling it'll be Fujitora assuming he is the blind swordsman

The problem with Sarquiss is probably as Two Tone put it. Sarquiss would impress nobody by showing up, not the readers and not Luffy. If he ended up revealing Luffy, then honestly anyone could have done it because Luffy wouldn't recognize him any quicker than he would a stranger. Bellamy at least will either try to get his revenge for being defeated, or he'll end up attacking Luffy for reasons similar to Mohmoo: good sense overpowered by fear of their master. Either scene, I think, would be enough for plenty of fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Asuron posted:

Not possible. We saw in a cover arc what happened to the residents of Skypiea and the warriors were no pushovers themselves. They would've easily beat a chump like Bellamy especially Wiper.

Being defeated by Luffy =/= Chump. This is a common mistake people make with this manga. Montblanc Cricket was able to fight on par with Sanji and may have even been stronger except for the fact that he was deadly sick from constant diving, and the Saruyama brothers weren't slouches either. Bellamy and his crew managed to take them all down rather effortlessly. Bellamy was strong, and he probably could have gone on to become a Supernova if left unchecked. The only reason he didn't is because he pissed off Luffy, and at the time, that was a basically an ambition death sentence.

You're not necessarily a chump if you lose to the best. Whitebeard made Blackbeard look like a chump, but that doesn't make him a chump. He's a Yonkou now, it just happened because he was up against the goddamn Whitebeard. That's the best thing about OP, it has much less of a power creep than most shounen. The only ones who have fallen off because of it, I'd say, are Don Krieg and Captain Kuro.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="414526523"]
What's the easier way than the knock up steam?
For Bellamy? Jumping.

As for him against the Saruyama Alliance, Cricket did try to protect the ship but it wasn't like he was willing to sacrifice himself for the Merry like Kuma and Duval did for the Sunny, he was just as concerned with his gold and Bellamy destroyed the ship anyway.

I'm a huge Bellamy fan though, for some weird reason, so I'll admit I'm probably inflating his power in my head. I still think he had more potential than people give him credit for. He just happened to rocket himself straight into a vengeful Luffy fist. But regardless of his previous chump or non-chump status, I'm pumped to see how he deals with half the Melee allying against him.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pepper bologna posted:

I would wonder if it is possible that going to Skypiea would have helped Bellamy to improve his Devil Fruit ability due to higher gravity? It would make sense if he was not utilizing his ability to its full potential earlier in the series, similar to how Smoker was known to under-utilize his logia abilities originally.

I'd love to see him take his powers to the next level. Turning his arms into springs too, he'll even his head to do a pseudo-Gum-Gum Bell. Or maybe turning his chest into a spring and constricting it for defense then springing out to attack? Depending on the limits of his powers, he could be an incredibly cool variant on a lot of Luffy's abilities with a lot of unique tricks too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

In that case, I think the world government would have just gotten steamrolled.

Possibly, but Luffy probably would have died in the process. I mean, on the platform, not like Ace. Ace was saved once by Luffy's Haki, which Shanks may have been able to supply, but then he was saved sgain by the intervention of Crocodile wasn't he? I might be misremembering. Either way, Ace's ability to call in a lot of powerful crews, in my opinion, wouldn't have been as effective as Lufffy's ability to rally everyone to his cause in a situation like the Paramount War, which would probably thus have resulted in worse overall losses. That's just how I see it though, Ace also might have even able to just steamroll in there with Shanks' crew and the Whitebeard Commanders and save Luffy before anyone knew what the hell was going on.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mountain Lightning posted:

JUST A REMINDER THERE WILL BE NO WEEKLY JUMP NEXT WEEK DUE TO GOLDEN WEEK!

Ah so many characters! Whoever said they hope Bellamy uses his arms as springs got their wish. I hope we get to see him do a lot more. I can't wait to see the King punch a dude like Bellamy or Bartolomeo just to have them take the blow and then own him.

Chinjao outing Luffy was the best. Cavendish's reaction was amazing. We also got a first look at the Fighting Fish. The Fishman Hack owns. I hope we see more of him since he mentioned Jinbei. Ricky is has to be related to Kyros (if not Kyros himself).

This arc is feeling like it is going to take a long time to get through.

I'm gonna love every second of it though. Oda's characters and their designs are peerless and even if it slows down the plot, I adore how full it makes the world feel. You compare it to most other shounen where only the main characters and villains are worth a drat and its refreshing to see an entire tournament populated by potential main characters.

I was very happy to see my wish come true with Bellamy's arm springs. My new wish is for Bellamy to stand Elizabello's crazy-rear end punch with his feet planted in the ground, resulting in him being sent flying out of the ring, but his springs yank him back to let him hit Elizabello's with an insane return blow. One Piece results in the most fun imagination fights.

Also Hack is the coolest, Bluegilly's thighs scare me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Advice posted:

This is difficult to gauge, when we say "Division Commanders" we really are just using Whitebeard's favorite sons as a reference point. Joz never seemed too strong, but he was the number two commander all the same.
Jozu didn't seem too strong? I hate to continue the power level talk, but really? Are we talking about the same guy who took Mihawk's "Strongest Slash in the World" like it was nothing and hurled an iceberg a hundred times larger than himself across the Marineford plaza? I'd also mention him being able to strike a Logia, but that's getting pretty par for the course in the new world. Still, for a man like that to appear 'not too strong' isn't something that should be taken as a sign of his weakness, but rather as just more evidence of what monsters Doflamingo and the Admirals are.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think it's safe to say that once Sanji gets the chance to go all-out post-Time Skip, he'll prove himself just as much of a monster as Luffy and Zoro, if not moreso. He already kicked a Bananadile into the air with one hit relatively early on in the series, I'm sure he'll be able to manage something suitably impressive once Oda gives him a shot.

It's a shame he wasn't able to go against Vergo's Haki, though, that was a disappointment for sure and I hope Oda didn't make a mistake in having his legs meet a match so early on in the New World. Though, I'm sure it'll count for nothing in the long run.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

WhiffleballDude posted:

I don't care if nothing important is happening, I love all of these new characters. Cavendish owning a high-ranking sword and being able to stop an attack from someone who rivaled Garp is pretty impressive.
True that. I'm glad he wasn't all show and no action, he's legitimately worthy of the fame that was stolen from him. :D

Bellamy's trick was brutal too. Love that guy. Can't wait to see what goes down next. I'm betting on Ricky to take down Blue Gilly, and then we'll find out what the hell Bartolomeo can do.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poor Bellamy. :(

Dwarves? Awesome.

Also, using your hostage as covering fire while you run to safety is the best plan ever forever. I love how Oda uses his villains. Glad to see Smoker and Tash aren't out of the mix yet too!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

New Chapter: Law VS Doflamingo -and- Fujitora? Oh poo poo.

Also the dwarves are awesome. All of them.

Lastly, with Rebecca and the Soldier, this can only go one of two ways. A) The toys were originally human? B) This is One Piece and Rebecca straight up loves a toy soldier.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

Maybe Rebecca was a toy and that's why her clothes make no sense.
Some humans were originally toys was not an angle I imagined and yet it is also completely plausible.

The clothes thing though, that's just cause Oda like drawing titties.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oda creates the best goddamn powers! X-Ray Vision and Mind-Reading are great enough, but then we got Whale Tears. I wonder if that means she can cry through her goggles (provided they form the right shape) in order to make them into metal? I want her to join the crew now just so we can get a thorough explanation of how that poo poo works.

Also so much awesome going on this chapter. Luffy's block, Half-Robin, Mango is a Tenryuubito, goddamn this arc is packed.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, it's Observation Haki/Mantra. Though I wouldn't mind seeing someone use some of the lesser used Rokushiki again. That was a cool fighting style.

Chapter: Jean was hilarious, between That Face and him idly chatting with Luffy while hurling weapons, then finally giving in to frustration. "Why can't I hit you?!"

Kelly Funk is certainly a thing though. I have the best image of him using his power for the first time and then just laying there for days as a jacket, pondering why God hates him so much. Though he certainly learned to make the best of it, as the Brothers Combination was pretty drat effective until Sai.

Also, a singular complaint: Does anyone else feel like Caribou's story has gone on too long? I usually really enjoy the cover arcs, but Caribou's has been feeling like twice as long as the rest, even though it isn't, I guess because of the lack of development and my lesser attachment to Caribou compared to previous choices. I mean, it's neat that he was with some marines and on Kaidou's island, but so far nothing really has come of it. Maybe there'll be a big finish, or Gabul will come up later in the story like how Hatchi's tied back in for the Flying Fish arc.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Parrotine posted:

I wonder what kind of benefit Dofy gains from turning people into toys? You know, besides just being an overall dick

The ability to completely remove someone from society, both physically and from the people's memories, is a pretty drat powerful ability for a king to have. Anyone who opposes him or finds out about his Smile operation, perhaps, suddenly doesn't exist anymore.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Liar posted:

Also I sort of hope it's Chopper and he ends up in a raccoon.

I'd rather it be someone other than Chopper or Robin, since they've already been separated from the crew in the Foxy and Enies Lobby arcs. I think it happening to Luffy himself would be most interesting since it would separate him from the fight temporarily, as he is every arc, and his erased prescence could be an interesting test of the crew's loyalty to each other rather than just the captain.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is there a reason that line is so often spelled that way? It just says 'Ikitai' for 'I want to live' as far as my poor Japanese can tell.

Edit: I know OP often has lines that are spelled weirdly to show the speaker is crying, I'm just curious if there's something about the characters that indicates that it should be translated that way.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

failedninja posted:

Yeah, but it's hard to see the dots on that picture. Here it is close up.

Oh! Thanks! I couldn't make out the marks at all on the first picture, but I was always curious about that translation choice.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Millions posted:

Dang, Rebecca and Toy Soldier were the only two characters in this arc I didn't care about until this chapter. I hope Rebecca has some crazy fighting style she hasn't been able to demonstrate until now...
The prisoners mentioned last chapter that they'd never seen Rebecca lose in a battle of speed before. I imagine Luffy's training in Observation Haki and his pure fighting intuition gave him the edge over her, but I want to believe that she's more than she seems. Honestly, I'm really hoping she absolutely cleans up in D Block and doesn't lose to some dirty trick or a jerk like Cabbage.

EDIT: I forgot a bit! I want her to win so she can go on to lose in the final battle against Diamante, who I believe to be This Guy who drove Rebecca and her mom from their home. Then Luffy can go berserk and absolutely ruin his poo poo and then Doflamingo's to wrap the arc up. I BELIEVE IN HAPPY ENDINGS.

I think Toy Soldier being Cyrus or Rebecca's Father, if not both, also sounds like a solid theory. Him beating up both bullies and confessors was the best part for me, especially since Oda brought back the "Situation Explanation Shirts" for them.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 10, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="419354645"]
What's with people calling the dude Cyrus when his name is Kyros?

I repeated it because other people wrote it that way, but now that you mention it, it was written as Kyros in English before. I guess I didn't second guess Cyrus since I'd seen other C-words pronounced with a hard K sound in Japanese before, like Cygnus.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm waiting on MangaStream for One Piece, so until then I wanted to share this.

In my Japanese class, we just learned the kanji for Red, and next to it in the book is a list of words that use it. One of them was 赤道, for Equator. The two kanji are Red and Road/Way. I immediately thought of the Red Line. I can only imagine it's the inspiration for the name, but either way, I thought that was cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

Bad news for those waiting for Mangastream's release. Their raw provider dropped his copy in a puddle, so Bleach and One Piece will be delayed for a day.

Source

drat. Mangastream's Naruto looks great for having been dropped. I guess I'll stomach panda for now until tomorrow.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Because they're Kings? That's kind of what Royals do, have infinite unquestioned power. Our world's kings had "divine right." One Piece's world doesn't seem to have much in the way of theology, but I would imagine that something happened (most likely related to the Ancient Weapons or the Void Century) that gives them a similar unquestionable power.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Liar posted:

He'll brush his hair to the other side, reluctantly showing the other is covered with mascara after his training.
This is now the only result I can accept happening. Oh my god, how great would that be? I mean, the people in this thread who hate the Okama would probably have a field day with it, but Sanji resentfully having to become a transvestite to take Doflamingo down with Okama Kenpo would be so incredibly awesome. God help me if Doflamingo knocks Sanji down onto the Sunny, only for Sanji to disappear and reemerge from the dust wearing the dress.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

Looks like Law can't just switch things with air. And it also looks like he can move things in his Room without switching, but it's slower.
And yet this. Maybe he can only move himself through space without needing to switch? Or maybe he switched himself with some snowflakes and we just can't see it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Start here. You'll find the anime hosed up Marineford pretty hard.
This, absolutely. Marineford is so many great chapters in a row filled with one awesome two-page spread after another. Even if you saw it in the anime, seeing the quality difference manga form and cutting out all the terrible filler and poor animation will make it so much better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Aurora posted:

Chinjao forgetting he had descendants all of a sudden was kinda sad. :(

Oh man I didn't even catch this the first time. :smith: drat you're good, Oda. I can't wait for this war to get started.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hiatus noooo

I really hope Bellamy doesn't get taken out again to show off the power of someone else. I like him a lot and it blows to have that happen twice in one arc. :(

Franky's hotbloodedness and Doflamingo appearing right in front of Luffy make up for it though. I have no idea how they plan to set up this arc's fights, since unless the Toy guy gets to Luffy quick, Dof VD Luf will be on immediately.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waterbed posted:

Every Logia to date occurs naturally without life (you could get super technical with stuff like fire needing oxygen which was caused by life).

Every Zoan is literally a form of life.

Paramecias are things that can be man made, or not man made. Things like weight occur naturally, but other things do not. In most cases, I cannot think of many paramecia's that aren't based off something made by life.

Tsuru's power hangs people out to dry like Laundry.

Sengoku turns into a giant super-powered Buddha Statue. (Zoan)

Bellamy turns into Springs and some other guy turn into Wheels. Kalifa into soap.

There's some weird ones.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

tsob posted:

That's what I'm most looking forward to in the next few chapters too. I love that everyone is asking permission of Luffy to cut loose on this major targets that would have required the entire crew pre-timeskip and Luffy is just like "drat straight, destroy them". It makes the crew feel so much more cool to have that confidence, rather than to have them be nervous about it or be forced in to it.
poo poo. I always wait for Mangastream for the weeklies, but I can't not read this chapter after reading about how hotblooded it is.

And good god, I wasn't let down in the least. Can't wait for a better translation, but so much happened just now that was so cool. I have no idea what I want to see first!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Earth posted:

Just would like to call it now that there hasn't been any mention of him in the last ~5 pages. Jinbe is going to show up.

If Jinbe shows up and wrecks Big Mom's ship then carts the Strawhats to Zou on a wave of whales, I will never be sad again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Those spoilers had better not be fake. I am too hyped, I will crash and burn!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Selane posted:

I guess I agree with both of you, because I thought they were both boring. In the history of One Piece, going back to day one, there are three things I skipped/didn't follow:

1. Pretty much all of Skypiea(not saying it was bad, I just really couldn't get myself to care about it)
I know not everyone loves Skypiea like I do, but if you're reading the current arc, you owe it to yourself to go back to Skypiea and at least read the flashback arc with Montblanc Norland and Calgara. That is still my absolute favorite standalone story in this entire manga and even if Luffy and the crew didn't exist and it was just a random one shot, I'd still love it to death. :allears: And even besides my fanboy ramblings, Norland is a hero to the Tontatta people, so it's relevant again now!

As for Koala, I knew who she was due to the name and her having a recognizable face, but I remember just about every character in OP no matter how minor, and I have never gone back and reread it start to finish. A few chapters here and there, but not all of it. I just like it a lot so even little things make an impact, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

What is the short list of Giant face/bug eyed responses?
*Luffys great
*Ussops Negative all the time
*he is alive?
What am I missing?
Usopp/Franky/Robin's "We're so sorry!" from a recent chapter.

• Locked thread