Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
More people!

Aida - Princess, Dwarf Race
Aida is as true a dwarf as Sir Falstaff Silvervein, but despite her jovial ways she is actually a very troubled young woman who has always lived in the shadow of a father that never loved her: Thelor, king of all dwarves. Even on the Raven his influence lingers, to her great discontent - and possibly yours.

Prospera - Councillor, Lizard Race
The epitome of reason and liberal ideals, Prospera is like a steadfast buoy amid a tumultuous sea of shouting elves, quarreling dwarves, preaching undead and babbling imps. Always she is cool, calm and collected a far cry from the other hit-headed councillors.

Catherine - General (Human)
Catherine used to be a queen in her own right, but ever since the enemies of the empire have been conquering kingdom after kingdom, her throne has toppled. Lusting for revenge, she has joined your cause to serve as a general, but she has a hard time of it. 'To serve' is a new concept for her, especially to serve a man. Catherine used to reside over a matriarchal society after all, in which all key positions were filled by women and wherein men were good for few other things than manual labour and procreation. She definitely needs to adapt to what is a new world for her, and when it comes to matters that relate to the equality of men and women, she is a staunch proponent of all matters feminist.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

More people!

Catherine - General (Human)
Catherine used to be a queen in her own right, but ever since the enemies of the empire have been conquering kingdom after kingdom, her throne has toppled. Lusting for revenge, she has joined your cause to serve as a general, but she has a hard time of it. 'To serve' is a new concept for her, especially to serve a man. Catherine used to reside over a matriarchal society after all, in which all key positions were filled by women and wherein men were good for few other things than manual labour and procreation. She definitely needs to adapt to what is a new world for her, and when it comes to matters that relate to the equality of men and women, she is a staunch proponent of all matters feminist.

I really hope Larian's writers know what they're doing, because that character bio makes me think we've just crossed the border into MRAistan.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Done well, that character could be an interesting "gentlemen, this is what the patriarchy feels like" character that would encourage deep and critical thought about our societal structure, but for a variety of reasons I give it about a 10% chance of sticking that way :(

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't think she's going to be used as an insightful soapbox for social justice issues but I still feel they'll give her more weight than an MRA's caricature of feminism.

In the end, I figure she'll probably be to feminism what Oberon is to liberalism, Prospera is to libertarianism, Yorick is to religious fundamentalism, or Edmund is to racism.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still really feel like their character artists spend their time off and breaks at work browsing the anime sections of Deviant Art and are trying to impress their Deviant Art friends with the t&a they put in. They're clearly talented, but man, Swen, really?

Yeah, I'm excited by the potential I can see by the writing based on how they've been describing it, but...we'll see.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Djeser posted:

I don't think she's going to be used as an insightful soapbox for social justice issues but I still feel they'll give her more weight than an MRA's caricature of feminism.

In the end, I figure she'll probably be to feminism what Oberon is to liberalism, Prospera is to libertarianism, Yorick is to religious fundamentalism, or Edmund is to racism.

You can see what she's like in Total Biscuit's WTF Dragon Commander video.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Maybe it's just because we haven't seen more than a few brief interactions with the characters. It is possible that they do move beyond their one-dimensional nature as your interactions shape them over the course of a campaign.

Catherine isn't even the worst - Yorrick the Undead Councillor is completely intolerable from what I've seen. I'm not even sure they're doing the Lizards as American-style Libertarians either. Maybe European Liberterians are different? Prospera actually supported government healthcare AND reprimanding the tabloid newspaper.

Anyhoo, new patch.

quote:

Changelist 1.0.152.9727
posted by lar @ 05:05PM on July 24, 2013
Surprise! A new beta update! ;)

We read and heard you regarding the end of battle rules and are working on changing the system, but that's probably only going to be in tomorrow. In the meantime however, here are a couple of sweet changes that increase stability, take care of some long standing requests and in general make your dragon life better. Keep on sending us feedback, it's helping us a lot and hopefully also increasing your fun.

- Added "Show map" button to battle menu
- Fixed shadow artifacts when zoomed out in combat
- Added more information to tooltips in battle menu
- Pathfinding issues fixes for boats
- Iron clads can attack sea build sites now
- Double clicking a unit will only select the units of the same type on-screen
- Added "Skip" and "Continue" button to auto-resolve

- Mouse-button to pan the camera in strategy phase is configurable now
- Fixed mouse-click_through issues on some UIs
- Hunters will shoot the dragon now with rockets
- Fixed stability issues for polyphormed units
- Ocean files do not give affinity anymore
- Cards that are played correctly undo now
- Several smaller stability fixes

Have fun!

Showing the map is really important for deciding what mercenary cards you want to play. Naval units aren't going to do much on Falcon's Rocks, but will dominate Fallen Moon.

The change to have double-clicking only get all on the current screen is also good so you don't have to worry about units traveling from halfway across the map because you wanted a certain group to focus fire.

Balancing
- Trooper Speed increased from 105 to 110 (168 to 176 with the Enhanced Engines upgrade)
- Grenadier Armor decreased from 6 to 4
- Hunter Damage decreased from 42 to 40

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
drat, I forgot to check back on this and I missed the kickstarter by miles. :( Correct me if I'm wrong but D:OS has been pulled back however they're offering a preorder bonus instead?

It looks like they've been really industrious on getting patches out and that is reassuring. I'm a sucker for RTSs and RPGs and this has other interesting things thrown into the mix, I have to buy it now you jerks! :argh:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Delacroix posted:

drat, I forgot to check back on this and I missed the kickstarter by miles. :( Correct me if I'm wrong but D:OS has been pulled back however they're offering a preorder bonus instead?

It looks like they've been really industrious on getting patches out and that is reassuring. I'm a sucker for RTSs and RPGs and this has other interesting things thrown into the mix, I have to buy it now you jerks! :argh:

D:OS is no longer available for preorder-through-pledge and they're probably not going to be opening regular preorders for D:OS until they're closer to release.

If you ordered D:OS and D:DC through a Kickstarter pledge, you got an upgrade to the Imperial Edition. You can also get the upgrade if you preorder it. It's a soundtrack, a development documentary, a campaign map based on Earth, and a golden dragon skin, and after the game's release, it's going to be an extra $10.

You can preorder D:DC on Larian Vault, Steam, or GOG.com. For preordering, the benefits are:

Larian Vault
  • $40 (or regional equivalent)
  • Imperial Edition
  • Beta access
  • DRM-free download
  • Steam download

Steam
  • Imperial Edition
  • Beta access
  • Steam download

GOG.com
  • Imperial Edition
  • DRM-free download
  • Divine Divinity from the GOG catalog
  • Master of Magic from the GOG catalog

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Larian Vault version gives you both a DRM free version AND a Steam key, so you can have your DRM and Steam. If you get a Retail boxed copy, you get a Digital backup copy from GoG. I'm adding this stuff to the page 3 FAQ now.

ForkTong posted:

Steam version uses Steamworks for matchmaking.

Steam version updates immediately as we upload delta directly to Steam.

GOG version updates is in their hands as they have to make a new installer every time.

Lar posted:

If you want to take advantage of the Steamworks features, you do need to have the game installed in your Steam library. The gog.com version will automatically pick up that you have it on Steam and thus open up the Steamworks tab in the game (with matchmaking, leaderboards etc...). I forgot to add that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Our final two principal characters are revealed.

Camilla - Princess, Lizard Race
Camilla was raised in the royal household of lizards in a very strict, indeed authoritarian way. Her parents did not shy away from severe punishments for the slightest infractions and this rigorous upbringing has given shape to her character in a fundamental way. All she has known all her life is law and order, and that is what her life is still about : she is a judge with a reputation for handing out harsh, uncompromising sentences. Aboard the Raven, she will remain a servant of the law, though you - perhaps - can influence her decisions.

Oberon - Councillor, Elf Race
A staunch defender of the 'Green Mother', Oberon defends nature where he can, so serving elven interests. Elves try to keep a balance in a ruptured world, not wanting dwarves to destroy it with mines and factories or undead to make it all too rigid with dogmatic beliefs.

It occurs to me now that the earlier updates that suggested that the Lizards were the "Free Market solves everything" Libertarians were wrong. Thinking about it, I think that it's the Dwarves who actually occupy that "free market rules" niche. The Lizards might be more Authoritarian types, most concerned about Order.

There should also be an update later today to tweak the rules for the last-chance Dragon spawning.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 25, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lizard boobies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can only hope the elven dudes have REALLY huge nutsacks.

Christ. Haha. I'm not sure WHO I'll have as my trusted advisor now. The breasty Skeleton, the chesty Dwarf, or the stacked lizardress. Larian sure knows how to make things interesting. Keepin' it classy, guys. :cheers:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Drifter posted:

I can only hope the elven dudes have REALLY huge nutsacks.

Christ. Haha. I'm not sure WHO I'll have as my trusted advisor now. The breasty Skeleton, the chesty Dwarf, or the stacked lizardress. Larian sure knows how to make things interesting. Keepin' it classy, guys. :cheers:

Just take the harem route. :v:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

If you didn't instantly fall for the skeleton with lipstick I think there might be something wrong with you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Larian Twitter posted:

Larian Studios ‏@larianstudios 1h

Ppl in Ghent waiting in line for DC. No kidding. pic.twitter.com/AqNQzHtUJM

:ssh: I don't believe that they're "no kidding".

Irony.or.Death posted:

If you didn't instantly fall for the skeleton with lipstick I think there might be something wrong with you.

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of Ophelia's guilt-trip-inducing backstory. It's pretty much saying "Pick someone else and you'll condemn her to death. You jerk."

I think I'll pick the Dwarf first, she sounds interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 25, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of Ophelia's guilt-trip-inducing backstory. It's pretty much saying "Pick someone else and you'll condemn her to death. You jerk."

I think I'll pick the Dwarf first, she sounds interesting.

If Larian's planning to put story-relevant stuff in the newspapers, it'd be interesting to hear about what happens to the princesses you don't marry. (Though I don't remember if divorce/remarriage is supposed to be a thing--that might make it harder.) Still, would be kinda nice to hear that she left the royal court to go and search for a cure on her own. :unsmith:

e: An option I just realized was there but never used before was the Game Speed option, which I found incredibly useful, because even on Easy, it felt like the AI opponents were always outpacing me. It makes the game almost lethargic when you put it on Slowest for speed, but I managed to win my first game against an AI like that.

My current feeling is somewhere between :woop: and :downs:

Djeser fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 26, 2013

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
That has got to be the most humanized Lizard race I've seen, did some Asari bonk lizard people?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone should ask Larian to implement a harem route DLC. True, the influx of cash would topple Belgium's economy, but I think that's a price we can all pay :v: Seriously though, the whole political aspect of this game sounds really interesting, and hopefully DC succeeds so other game companies might steal take inspiration from it as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, NOW this should be the last of our principal characters. (Yes, Larian does deserve a ribbing for their breasty lizards.)

Grumio - Chief Engineer (Imp)
To humans and perhaps even dragons, all imps seem a bit ... odd. Grumio forms no exception. He is the one who constructs new technologies aboard your command ship the Raven and though he may look like a glorified grease monkey, there's more to him than meets the eye. As an engineer, his skills are quite simply unsurpassed.

Maxos - Wizard (Human(?))
Maxos is an age-old (some say immortal) wizard, grey of beard, but keen of mind. The depth of his knowledge is unfathomable and you - just like Arthur had Merlin - are lucky to have him on your side as a guide and a mentor.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CommissarMega posted:

Someone should ask Larian to implement a harem route DLC. True, the influx of cash would topple Belgium's economy, but I think that's a price we can all pay :v:

Divinity: Dragon Commander - Legalise bigamy=unlock harem ending?

I really hope they don't go too overboard with the ludicrous breast lizard type fanservice...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember much from Divinity 2, but was Maxos a cool dude? It was his students who were d-bags, am I right? I seem to recall Maxos was kind of removed from earthly things, living with all the dragons and stuff.

Oh god... I'm so ... sorry...must post.

CottonWolf posted:

Divinity: Dragon Commander - Legalise bigamy=unlock harem ending?

I really hope they don't go too overboard with the ludicrous breast lizard type fanservice...

Have you not been seeing all of the released character art? They're embarrassingly hypersexualized - it's practically 90's comic book art. I know Swen tries to laugh off the issues people have been raising by giving whatever weird "But we didn't know when we sent it around the office" type of excuse, but golly jeez.

Swen posted:

But coming back to the imagery: It was actually shown around to different groups and didn't raise any objections then, which is why we were surprised that it caused so much reaction once we made it public. Obviously, there are large cultural differences between different parts of the world so it's perfectly possible that something which doesn't cause a reaction here, may cause a lot of reaction elsewhere, and we've learnt over the years that in all cases it'll be impossible to please everybody.

It's not about being prudish. I hope their writing is better than their art, in terms of representation.

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Drifter posted:

I don't remember much from Divinity 2, but was Maxos a cool dude? It was his students who were d-bags, am I right? I seem to recall Maxos was kind of removed from earthly things, living with all the dragons and stuff.

Yes. His main character flaw was arrogance, which was justifiable up until he decided he wanted to visit the Hall of Echoes (which Patriarch implied did not quite go as planned). At least during the part of his history described in Divinity 2 (building the Sentinel Island battle tower and being given the ability to create dragon knights), it didn't sound like he was much involved in human affairs. His motive to enter the Hall of Echoes was power, though he claimed it was knowledge, so presumably he could have ended up worse than his students had he been interested in wealth or politics, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drifter posted:

Oh god... I'm so ... sorry...must post.

Have you not been seeing all of the released character art? They're embarrassingly hypersexualized - it's practically 90's comic book art. I know Swen tries to laugh off the issues people have been raising by giving whatever weird "But we didn't know when we sent it around the office" type of excuse, but golly jeez.

Is this on their website? From the actual in game character models they look kind of overdone, but sadly within the parameters of "videogames gonna be videogames :smith:".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Patch 157 has dropped. Plenty of new stuff here, the biggest of which are an Advanced mode that let you tweak a lot of gameplay settings, and a Beta ladder for you to test your skills. I do not have any, alas, so I probably won't get very far on it.

Swen posted:

Hi Everybody,

We just added advanced multiplayer options which will allow you to change the campaign rules to your liking. Quite a few different gameplay modes are possible now, ranging from very strategic to very fast paced action modes. Let us know which modes you prefer!

We also started introducing ladder features. You can access the ladder modes in the gametype drop down box when creating a lobby. If you play in ladder mode, the game will register your wins and losses and award you a score. This score can then be used to find players of your skill level to play with using the matchmaking system.

Here is the list of main changes for today's version:

- More stable pathfinding
- Added advanced multiplayer options
- Enable password on servers
- Battleship nukes no longer get stuck
- Added ladder maps
- Added skill level to players and filters in multiplayer levels
- Improved notifications
- Fixed dragging in transports
- Added card animations on strategy map
- Turrets wont reset rotations after target is killed
- Bombers will do damage again
- Added videos to research screens
- Improved priest behaviour
- Changed sightrange of juggernauts
- Added conversion rate of units to tooltips
- Combat levels in MP are random now
- Several stability and performace improvements

Have a great weekend!

Balance:

- Juggernaut Range increased from 1800 to 2350 (with Imp Binoculars, 2250 to 2938)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God drat, they really are tearing it up with new patches and balances and cool stuff. Working hard, they surely are.

It's a shame, but you will never see me on any rung beyond the lowest most one. I have a severe lack of skills in the competitive rts arena. God this game's going to be so hard for me. :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is this on their website? From the actual in game character models they look kind of overdone, but sadly within the parameters of "videogames gonna be videogames :smith:".
Here's their Concept Art page. You tell me. I mean, none of this stuff is worth getting upset over, to the extent, that, you know, I can't actually do anything about it beyond speak of it. But it's disappointing, certainly. You have all the power to create, and then you just don't bother to mature yourself or represent better/equally.

Divinity: Dragon CommanderPimp

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I prefer to think of the character designs at a self-aware parody of a certain strain of traditional fantasy... even if really it's just a Belgian thing. Regardless, the gameplay looks to be shaping up quite nicely and I'm looking forward to them wrapping it up (so I can start hearing more about Original Sin again.)

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Man I really want to like this game but between my total incompetence at RTS and my creeping horror over titlizards I don't think I'll buy at full price, if at all. Guess I'll just wait for Original Sin and hope they don't get too gross about boobies in that game too. :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Semisponge posted:

Man I really want to like this game but between my total incompetence at RTS and my creeping horror over titlizards I don't think I'll buy at full price, if at all. Guess I'll just wait for Original Sin and hope they don't get too gross about boobies in that game too. :smith:

Oh, but BUTTS are okay?!!?!?!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mozi posted:

I prefer to think of the character designs at a self-aware parody of a certain strain of traditional fantasy... even if really it's just a Belgian thing. Regardless, the gameplay looks to be shaping up quite nicely and I'm looking forward to them wrapping it up (so I can start hearing more about Original Sin again.)

Why would it be a Belgian thing? I think it's just that a lot of the developers at Larian are crusty middle-aged guys who think this is the way fantasy is 'supposed to be' since it's what they grew up with in the eighties. Part of it is wink-wink-nudge and it's better than Bioware's pandering, but it's still a bit ridiculous-looking and embarrassing.

I'm also anxious for it come out 1) so I can play it and 2) so we start getting updates on D:OS again.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Maybe I'm just part of the horrible patriarchy but I think the princesses don't look bad for, you know, pretty princesses. The only thing I outright don't understand is why Prospera has the same bustline as Camilla, or why Camilla is so drat Na'vi compared to the other lizards.

I do still wish they'd had the time and budget to make a gender option, though. That would have been nice, though given how DC's story stuff works, I can see why it'd be a huge effort.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 27, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, I wouldn't mind lizardboobs if the princess looked more lizardly. In such a case, it'd be hilarious, while right now it's just creepy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm glad we have a Grumio. The last time I saw that name was in secondary school latin class. All I remember is that he was a cook slave, he was usually in the kitchen and we used to make bad jokes in class about him pleasing Metella,the matron of the household. I miss the cambridge latin course.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Grumio fanfiction :getin:

Djeser posted:

Maybe I'm just part of the horrible patriarchy but I think the princesses don't look bad for, you know, pretty princesses. The only thing I outright don't understand is why Prospera has the same bustline as Camilla, or why Camilla is so drat Na'vi compared to the other lizards.

I do still wish they'd had the time and budget to make a gender option, though. That would have been nice, though given how DC's story stuff works, I can see why it'd be a huge effort.

I'm cool with it only having one point of view or gender for the player, actually. Whether it was a man or lady commander would have been fine by me. I do wish there'd be more of an even spread of these things, but as you say, it's so time/money consuming to do anything more than print and switch gender pronouns, especially to write (well) and then act both different points of view enough to differentiate things. It's just their male horny teenager's representation of women that I find somewhat pathetic offputting.

Of course, I would love to have the writing blow me out of the water with multi-tiered views and social relevance, so I won't fully judge anything until it's in my grubby little hands. The only thing I really know about the story is that the lady voice actor from a youtube video about the voice acting sounded pretty baller...and you're a dragon.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The princesses really aren't that bad in the concept art (the Dwarven Princess looks like a high price prostitute) for the most part, the worst of it ironically seems to be coming from the undead princess and how much concept art dwells on the luscious titties that can ONLY BE YOURS if you save her~. It is a bit overdone.

Also robo-boobs apparently? :iiam:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I haven't had a chance to read the last seventy or so posts in the thread till today, so I got to see all the new character reveals pretty much in one go and I gotta say, those princesses really are sad. I feel kinda let down now since I guess I was expecting Larian to be able to come up with characters who weren't star trek style 'different coloured human with stuff glued to the forehead' ones. They just slapped huge norkers on everything and called it a day. Even the skeleton. It's a skeleton!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The princesses really aren't that bad in the concept art (the Dwarven Princess looks like a high price prostitute) for the most part, the worst of it ironically seems to be coming from the undead princess and how much concept art dwells on the luscious titties that can ONLY BE YOURS if you save her~. It is a bit overdone.

Also robo-boobs apparently? :iiam:
I'd guess that from the concept art for the Undead Princess that you'll get to choose two ways to save her from the bonerot, either she gets a new, living, body or you go the Mass Effect 3 route and install her soul into a sexbot.

(gently caress whatever writer on Bioware who came up with that idea...)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd guess that from the concept art for the Undead Princess that you'll get to choose two ways to save her from the bonerot, either she gets a new, living, body or you go the Mass Effect 3 route and install her soul into a sexbot.

(gently caress whatever writer on Bioware who came up with that idea...)
gently caress, I hope that's not the case.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Unless they changed the tone significantly from the other Divine Divinity games I'm pretty sure every game in this series is extremely tongue in cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Eej posted:

Unless they changed the tone significantly from the other Divine Divinity games I'm pretty sure every game in this series is extremely tongue in cheek.

I recall a talking well in Divinity 2 that practically orgasms when you throw a big sack of money down its GAPING SHAFT.

• Locked thread