Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silloh
Sep 5, 2008
Speaking of unsolved Bleach mysteries, did we ever learn what Aizen took from Rangiku? If I remember correctly, Gin committed himself to killing Aizen because he took something from her, but I'm not really clear on how that whole dynamic worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Batmasterson posted:

but at some point you would think Aizen would get annoyed to a point where he just decides it wasn't working out and kill him.

He did.

He blew him up.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

silloh posted:

Speaking of unsolved Bleach mysteries, did we ever learn what Aizen took from Rangiku? If I remember correctly, Gin committed himself to killing Aizen because he took something from her, but I'm not really clear on how that whole dynamic worked.

From what it looked like, and I could be completely wrong, he took Rangiku's spiritons and fed them to the Hoagie but left just enough for her to still be alive for some reason when it was pretty much stated that he had fed a poo poo ton of others without caring if they lived or died.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Whenever I see Team Aizen back in the day it makes me miss Best Friends Aizen and Gin. I was sad to see that fall apart at the end of Deicide. I always liked the idea that Aizen thought everyone else sucked except for his best buddy Gin but Gin secretly hated him the whole time...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Honest Ray posted:

Whenever I see Team Aizen back in the day it makes me miss Best Friends Aizen and Gin. I was sad to see that fall apart at the end of Deicide. I always liked the idea that Aizen thought everyone else sucked except for his best buddy Gin but Gin secretly hated him the whole time...

The lesson here is that Aizen is completely goddamn insufferable. The only relationships he has with people are based on control, deception or animosity. Anyone who gets to know him loathes his smug rear end.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

If only we had waited a few more days to make the new thread, we could have titled it Bleach Manga Thread 14: KILL WHITEY

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Robviously posted:

From what it looked like, and I could be completely wrong, he took Rangiku's spiritons and fed them to the Hoagie but left just enough for her to still be alive for some reason when it was pretty much stated that he had fed a poo poo ton of others without caring if they lived or died.

I could be completely wrong, but it seemed to imply that she was just one of the really early victims to it and she probably just lived due to luck or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Honest Ray posted:

At the very least, there isn't any point in showing us Aizen if Aizen isn't going to be relevant again.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

Harry posted:

I could be completely wrong, but it seemed to imply that she was just one of the really early victims to it and she probably just lived due to luck or something.

I looked over the last couple of chapters, and I don't think Aizen took spiritrons from Rangiku. This is getting into the realm of baseless speculation, but when we've seen spiritrons depicted in the past I don't think they looked like this: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bleach/415?id=17297

Also, Gin talks about the thing that was taken from Rangiku as something he wants to get back. Can you just "get" spiritrons back from someone?

Edit: Clarity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Rangiku could have her spiritrons or whatever taken and still be strong enough to be a vice-captain she must've been crazy strong as a kid. Or it may just have been part of her soul. Or maybe it was something that didn't actually matter and Rangiku recovered from, and the only reason it was such a big deal to Gin is because he's crazy.

EDIT: I miss Gin, he was one of the best characters with one of the most interesting bankais.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 6, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was never specified. Gin is (surprisingly) dead now, so it is entirely possible that it will never be specified.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't Kubo mention in that interview that Rangiku's past would be elaborated on in this arc? With her being Isshin's former lieutenant, I'll be surprised if we don't find out what was going on with that, maybe straight from Aizen.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

VJeff posted:

Didn't Kubo mention in that interview that Rangiku's past would be elaborated on in this arc? With her being Isshin's former lieutenant, I'll be surprised if we don't find out what was going on with that, maybe straight from Aizen.

That's what I'm hoping.

I go on the idea that it's spiritual power (since this is what I felt was heavily implied as it was what Aizen was collecting from other Rukongai citizens at the time) and this simply means that she was just either badass powerful before Aizen took a portion or somehow had it restored, but some translations/people think that it was her soul that was given to the Hoagie? That makes no sense to me though, how would she even be functioning in Soul Society if her soul was gone? Though "trying to get back Rangiku's soul" would be an understandable motivation for why Gin was so damned angry/dedicated, I just don't understand how it could even be possible.

I've also seen the idea that Gin somehow gave her some of his spiritual power (supported very, very thinly by the reveal of his true bankai involving dust/ash and her shikai being dust/ash) but I feel like that's reaching a bit. It would be interesting, though.

Anyhow, I've been rereading random old Bleach chapters lately since the new ones have been so good. It's been interesting to see old things that suddenly make a lot of sense when cast in the light of new information:

Now that we know that "Kurosaki" is actually a Quincy household and Isshin was actually a Shiba, this exchange was awesome to stumble upon and have the :aaaaa: moment.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Now that we know that "Kurosaki" is actually a Quincy household and Isshin was actually a Shiba, this exchange was awesome to stumble upon and have the :aaaaa: moment.

Yeah, until now you would just assume he'd been calling him some sort of crass nickname the whole time. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, it's clear Kubo has had Isshin's backstory planned out for a while. When he actually thinks ahead Kubo is pretty good with foreshadowing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I basically binged through Chapters 526 through 531 just a few days ago (haven't gotten up to 532 just yet just read 532 today), and this song has been stuck in my head ever since and I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Also is it bad that I now kind of want the Japanese phrase for "Eye of the Tiger" to be the actual name of Kenpachi's sword?

EDIT: Okay, just read 532... not totally sure what to make of it except that it looks like we'll be seeing a Part 6 next week, and that that "hollow" was pretty much Aizen's first semi-successful attempt at creating a hollow/arrancar prototype. I have no idea how any of that relates to Ichigo, or his inner hollow/Zangetsu, or how any of you are making connections between the two, though... apart from this "Whitey" hollow looking almost identical to Ichigo's super-hollow form during the Ulquiorra fight, that is.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 6, 2013

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Wow, nice catch. I remember thinking this had to do with first name / last name basis which doesn't really make any sense.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Maybe whatever Aizen took from Rangiku is what was used as the base for the alpha arrancar that Isshin is fighting. Ichigo and Rangiku both have orange hair. It's canon!

(Actually, Rangiku just has orange hair in the anime, it's supposed to be blonde...)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Ichigo, or his inner hollow/Zangetsu, or how any of you are making connections between the two, though... apart from this "Whitey" hollow looking almost identical to Ichigo's super-hollow form during the Ulquiorra fight, that is.

Really? You don't find it at all strange that this hollow looks identical to completely unhinged hollow ichigo, and that it's fighting his father and mother? You think that these are somehow unrelated?. This is the most transparent thing Kubo's ever done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Half of Dracula posted:

Maybe whatever Aizen took from Rangiku is what was used as the base for the alpha arrancar that Isshin is fighting. Ichigo and Rangiku both have orange hair. It's canon!

(Actually, Rangiku just has orange hair in the anime, it's supposed to be blonde...)

Maybe Aizen stole her Quincy powers since everyone with Orange hair is going to turn out to be a Kurosaki.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

B-but then Orihime and Ichigo...!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Zyla posted:

Really? You don't find it at all strange that this hollow looks identical to completely unhinged hollow ichigo, and that it's fighting his father and mother? You think that these are somehow unrelated?. This is the most transparent thing Kubo's ever done.

I don't necessarily think they're unrelated. I just think we'll all get an explanation sooner rather than later, so any speculation on the matter is sort of pointless for the time being.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I don't necessarily think they're unrelated. I just think we'll all get an explanation sooner rather than later, so any speculation on the matter is sort of pointless for the time being.

Pointless speculation? This entire thread is about speculation. Are you new here? We post the craziest theories we can come up with and sometimes they are right. I mean I think we once speculated what color Ichigo's socks were. (The correct answer is black)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Not much ever happens in these threads aside from speculation, pedantry, terrible jokes, and people wanking to their favorite characters, usually Kenpachi or Mayuri.

It could be worse, though. I'm sure that bleach threads on just about any other forums involve waifu debates.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Do Waifu debates include shipping Orihime and Ulq? If so then you're right on the money.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

And the other half if Ichigo and Ishida because the internet loves to ruin everything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Serious Frolicking posted:

Not much ever happens in these threads aside from speculation, pedantry, terrible jokes, and people wanking to their favorite characters, usually Kenpachi or Mayuri.

It could be worse, though. I'm sure that bleach threads on just about any other forums involve waifu debates.

Ichiruki vs Ichihime all loving day. It's horrible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VJeff posted:

Ichiruki vs Ichihime all loving day. It's horrible.

Yeah I mean everyone knows IchiRuki and Ishihime are the OTP

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

EDIT: Okay, just read 532... not totally sure what to make of it except that it looks like we'll be seeing a Part 6 next week, and that that "hollow" was pretty much Aizen's first semi-successful attempt at creating a hollow/arrancar prototype. I have no idea how any of that relates to Ichigo, or his inner hollow/Zangetsu, or how any of you are making connections between the two, though... apart from this "Whitey" hollow looking almost identical to Ichigo's super-hollow form during the Ulquiorra fight, that is.

The hollow also had such speed that shocked Masaki, and she couldn't land a hit on it, which happens to be Ichigo's bankai power. Add that with the way it looks, its fighting Isshin and Masaki, and it bit Masaki, it is pretty clear that the DNA of this thing is some part of Ichigo.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I always imagined Isshin, Masaki, and Arrowdad having their own magical ghost-realm adventures before the series began.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Batmasterson posted:

The hollow also had such speed that shocked Masaki, and she couldn't land a hit on it, which happens to be Ichigo's bankai power. Add that with the way it looks, its fighting Isshin and Masaki, and it bit Masaki, it is pretty clear that the DNA of this thing is some part of Ichigo.

That and this entire flashback is Isshin explaining Ichigo's origins to him...so it 100% definitely has something to do with the nature of Ichigo's powers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Thoren posted:

I always imagined Isshin, Masaki, and Arrowdad having their own magical ghost-realm adventures before the series began.

That could happen between now and Ichigo being born. I'm assuming Masaki got out of high school before she became teen-pregnant at least.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Prison Warden posted:

That could happen between now and Ichigo being born. I'm assuming Masaki got out of high school before she became teen-pregnant at least.

There's probably a 2-3 year span between now and when Masaki got pregnant.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

There's probably a 2-3 year span between now and when Masaki got pregnant.

Yeah, this takes place something like 20 years earlier and Ichigo is only 17. That's assuming it's not 20 years prior to series start too, not sure which.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

Thoren posted:

I'd totally endorse a spin-off of this but I'm imagining it like a wacky sitcom where all three live together. Watch as Isshin and Ryuuken navigate their way through med school while Masaki cheers them on! And you can't forget the Very Special Chapter where Masaki goes into labor in the middle of the night and both Ryuuken and Isshin elbow each other out of the way to help her: "Don't worry, I'm a doctor." "You're just an intern!" Cue the laugh track :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

pixaal posted:

Pointless speculation? This entire thread is about speculation. Are you new here?

I posted a little bit in the other thread but I don't think anybody payed much attention to me.

Incidentally, I did totally call Kenpachi stealing his current zanpakuto from another guy as a small kid :smuggo:, although I think only like 1 person ever responded to it.

Fhate posted:

That and this entire flashback is Isshin explaining Ichigo's origins to him...so it 100% definitely has something to do with the nature of Ichigo's powers.

Yeah I'm getting that... the only real question is "How?".

Serious Frolicking posted:

:( Oh man... I really wish we could get more backstory on Mayuri. All we know about him right now is that he wears a shitload of black and white juggalo makeup all over his body for some reason, that he's always got some wierdass gold poo poo around his face, that his outer ears are missing (which probably explains aforementioned wierdass gold poo poo -- I've always assumed he had prosthetic ears there or something), that he's a loving sociopath, that his body under all the juggalo paint is heavily scarred, and that he spent a longass time in solitary confinement before Urahara let his rear end out.

As far as speculation, my guess is he's about as old as Kenpachi, serving as Unohana's 3rd-seat back in the day, before Yamamoto took over (poo poo for all we know Mayuri might be Unohana's own SON.... that'd certainly help explain why he gives his current surname as "Kurotsuchi"), and that his jobs included performing dissections on things Unohana killed, performing experiments and/or vivisections on things Unohana hadn't killed (things that would presumably be healed by Unohana afterward, which might explain where Mayuri's regenerative poo poo came from), and inventing an occasional device or two. Then at some point Unohana started doing experiments on him, and he'd do experiments on himself, and... well then at some point Yamamoto came along, decided Mayuri was too broken to be allowed into normal regular society, and put him in the Maggot's Nest, where he remained until Urahara let him out during that Turn Back the Pendulum thing where he then became Urahara's 3rd-seat.

I mean... some of that could be plausible, right?

EDIT: Also I want Mayuri's zanpakuto to get an upgrade at some point. Ashisogi Jizo's abilities the way they are now are boring as poo poo, and it'd be kinda neat to see Mayuri turn into more of a front-line fighter, rather than just being some guy who has to spend hours researching/reading up on whatever his opponent is before actually going outside and, y'know, DOING poo poo like he does now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 8, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lintwhite posted:

I'd totally endorse a spin-off of this but I'm imagining it like a wacky sitcom where all three live together. Watch as Isshin and Ryuuken navigate their way through med school while Masaki cheers them on! And you can't forget the Very Special Chapter where Masaki goes into labor in the middle of the night and both Ryuuken and Isshin elbow each other out of the way to help her: "Don't worry, I'm a doctor." "You're just an intern!" Cue the laugh track :allears:

I hope when newborn baby Ichigo cries he's got the Vizard sound filter on.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

I posted a little bit in the other thread but I don't think anybody payed much attention to me.

Incidentally, I did totally call Kenpachi stealing his current zanpakuto from another guy as a small kid :smuggo:, although I think only like 1 person ever responded to it.

:( Oh man... I really wish we could get more backstory on Mayuri. All we know about him right now is that he wears a shitload of black and white juggalo makeup all over his body for some reason, that he's always got some wierdass gold poo poo around his face, that his outer ears are missing (which probably explains aforementioned wierdass gold poo poo -- I've always assumed he had prosthetic ears there or something), that he's a loving sociopath, that his body under all the juggalo paint is heavily scarred, and that he spent a longass time in solitary confinement before Urahara let his rear end out.

As far as speculation, my guess is he's about as old as Kenpachi, serving as Unohana's 3rd-seat back in the day, before Yamamoto took over (poo poo for all we know Mayuri might be Unohana's own SON.... that'd certainly help explain why he gives his current surname as "Kurotsuchi"), and that his jobs included performing dissections on things Unohana killed, performing experiments and/or vivisections on things Unohana hadn't killed (things that would presumably be healed by Unohana afterward, which might explain where Mayuri's regenerative poo poo came from), and inventing an occasional device or two. Then at some point Unohana started doing experiments on him, and he'd do experiments on himself, and... well then at some point Yamamoto came along, decided Mayuri was too broken to be allowed into normal regular society, and put him in the Maggot's Nest, where he remained until Urahara let him out during that Turn Back the Pendulum thing where he then became Urahara's 3rd-seat.

I mean... some of that could be plausible, right?

EDIT: Also I want Mayuri's zanpakuto to get an upgrade at some point. Ashisogi Jizo's abilities the way they are now are boring as poo poo, and it'd be kinda neat to see Mayuri turn into more of a front-line fighter, rather than just being some guy who has to spend hours researching/reading up on whatever his opponent is before actually going outside and, y'know, DOING poo poo like he does now.

I would love to see more Mayuri. I just really like how he's such an objectively bad person who happens to be a good guy by technicality. I do wish Kubo hadn't made him just wacky evil and kept him menacing but he's still unhinged enough that he works. Of all the captains MAyuri is definitely one of the more interesting ones and I would love to see him get to do more stuff. I still think his first appearance was amazing especially since we got some messed up body horror with his men exploding and then for the first bankai in the series we get to see the most completely hosed thing in the world.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

I'll haphazard a guess, They can't kill Whitey and his mom seals it's riatsu inside herself. a few years down the line the seal fails but instead of spitting out whitey she spits out baby ichigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

I'll haphazard a guess, They can't kill Whitey and his mom seals it's riatsu inside herself. a few years down the line the seal fails but instead of spitting out whitey she spits out baby ichigo.

So... Naruto?

• Locked thread