Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ACDC and Wham are in ASB, Cars is gonna be in it, that shouldn't even be something you feel doubt with and he's still gonna be the most boring villain aside from his ultimate being stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cody Banks posted:

The question is will Lisa Lisa be in it?

I feel that since Caesar got in, she might as well be a shoe-in too, but I can't really say that since I even doubt Old Joseph is going to be playable despite basically every other human member of the Part 3 group is in the game so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Trying to do an episode per stand sounds like a really easy way to rush certain things and end up having a lackluster product. They need to just go at their own pace and do the stands as they see fit, I can easily imagine certain stands taking more than one episode, especially the Egyptian God ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure they'll show her image in the anime since they have a design. I'm sure the reason Araki didn't show her to begin with was he didn't have a design planned for her at the moment and just figured she wouldn't be seen often because of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Otoishi is like the weirdest choice, I'd have much rather had Bad Company, that was a cool stand.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Maltose posted:

Otoishi is pretty much the source of everything that happens in Part IV, so having him in the game makes good sense.

That doesn't make him memorable. I really can't remember much of anything he did because he's forgettable. He jammed on his guitar, did silly movements and had a lightning chicken stand, however that design for his stand was cool. Hell, I remember more of what Cheap Trick did than Otoishi. Koichi's also pretty boring too, so all in all I don't honestly care for this set of characters. I'm sure someone interesting will pop up soon, but I hope it happens soon, because drat am I losing steam on this game since the last trailer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Koichi is a pretty important character and his evolutionary stand can make for some cool gameplay.

I really doubt that, leveling up gimmicks in fighting games by nature end up making characters less enjoyable and more tedious to use. The only exception I can think of really is Frank West in UMVC3 and I really have no faith in CC2 to make an actual good fighting game. One that's dumb fun like the Naruto games sure, but still like most anime based fighters.

quote:

Cheap Trick and Otoishi aren't really comparable, I can't imagine Cheap Trick as a character in a fighting game, while Otoishi and especially RHCP are spot on.

Fair enough. There aren't a lot of stand users in Part 4 who could be made into fighting characters without massive retooling and Otoishi fills a character slot for Part 4 while also being a villain. My main problem is that I really don't consider him that noteworthy since Kira was the man.

failedninja posted:

Those guys must really like Part 5, I can't think of any other reason to include someone like Fugo.

I'm almost entirely sure half of that list is crap. There is no way they're putting Abbachio, Young Dio (Especially if that list doesn't have Old Joseph), Rohan, and Trish in. Especially since Rohan doesn't even have a fighting stand or one you could construe into a fighting stand like Joseph does. As Kurtofan said, it's best to take it with a grain of salt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the Koichi thing. Johnny has a multiple stage stand as well and no complaints were made about him.

On Otoishi. He is the man second to Kira. generally when people think of villains in that part he is the one to top the list after Kira.

On the first point, from what we've seen it seems more to me like Johnny's specials just use the different parts of Tusk for separate specials rather than using a leveling system, Johnny's gimmick is finger bullets and reloading with tea. We haven't seen Koichi's gameplay, so if his acts are treated like what Johnny's look like, then that's fine.

On the latter, I don't think that at all because Yoshihiro is far more involved with Kira than Otoishi was and generally acted a sidekick to his son. Even to the point where he acted as a much bigger rear end in a top hat than Kira and protected him while in a friggin' photo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Actually I think Part 1 Dio could be a full fledged character, his abilities are totally different, icy touch, eyes ripper, boxing...

I think Part 1 Dio has more to him than Old Joseph who didn't have many conventional fights in Part 3.

The main problem I have with Part 1 Dio is there's nothing about him that can't be covered by Dio, hell this game is taking cues straight from the Part 3 game which gave Dio his laser eyes too, there's no need to waste time making another Dio model especially when there's not enough unique about him to do so.

onepixeljumpman posted:

They could cheat it with Prosciutto by having some sort of marker above the other character, maybe their model gets darker alongside the decreased health and slower movement or something. I don't know if I'd be behind that because that seems like it would be super easy to cheese and it seems like a very limited amount of moves you could have him do. Don't get me wrong, Prosciutto's fine and all. I just don't think his power would work well in a game like this.

Yeah, Prosciutto would be one of the minor villains from part 5 I'd like above all else, but Grateful Dead is not really a stand that could be applied to a fighting game very practically. They could do what the Part 5 game did where one of his specials "poisons" you to mimic it aging you, but he wouldn't really have a lot to work with unless they gave him a bunch of unique stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The answer is Araki completely forgot he had those powers and didn't use them, meanwhile the guys down at Capcom are JJBA fans and of course remember it, so they added lasers to his moves in JJBA. Just add his poo poo from Part 1 to his Part 3 self, there's no reason to make another Dio for like two more moves. There's no canonical reason Dio didn't use them and it's best to not think about it, because Araki certainly didn't either.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Or road rollers.

Or pantsless henchmen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ripple will appear one more time and be proven as completely useless. Just as good, Stands are a million times better.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tobaccrow posted:

Specifically, Series 1 Dio.

For god's sake. Is it really that hard to just give Part 3 what this one is missing?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because there's not enough differences between Part 1 and 3 to make him into his own characters. The part 3 game already gave him eye lasers, boxing is literally just giving him some punching normals, and who honestly cares about ice powers?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes because Part 3 Dio can't use his vampire powers at full power.

I have never heard any confirmation about this and even if it is true it's still dumb to try and apply canon to a fighting game to restrict character abilities, especially since the Part 3 game itself gave him eye lasers and Araki actually payed attention to that game. Are you going to cite canon reasons for why they can't give Polnareff a Requiem super in this game if he's not in the wheelchair too, but the Part 3 game literally didn't care and just gave him one anyways?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Um he only used the Eye lasers as Shadow Dio in the old game. Which was another Dio Character so your argument is invalid. Part 1 Dio would play very differently as he would not have the world and would have Ice powers. (And I care about the Ice Powers.)

The only way I would find a character slot for Dio wasted is if we had Alt Deigo Brando as a character.

No, he had it as his regular version too, go back and look at it. That's not even counting that your point is still proving me right, because Shadow Dio is just Dio up until his reveal, where he still has the laser eyes and his body isn't complete, but that's just another vague term by Araki meaning "I can't let him fight yet, because I'm still figuring out what I want him to do". I don't care how differently Part 1 Dio would play, it's a matter of I want the JoJo style to be represented with better characters than Vanilla Dio and we already have the better version in the game, there's no reason to add the watered down version from the First Story which even Araki doesn't like looking back on it. I'd honestly prefer they do more characters who didn't have a fighting stand like Rohan, because those are the unique characters that they'd have to have to put some style into the combat for, but it's just easier to do mostly dudes that fought and a zinger here and there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I checked and you are right but the eye lasers are all he has. Still part 1 only has 2 guys right now so a 2nd Dio is better for the game because it will have a different move set to account for lack of the world and Ice powers and to fill the requirement for a part 1 villain. Nothing you say will change that.

Still Part 1 Dio can more or less be considered the Shadow Dio of this game.

My problem isn't a playstyle, I don't have a hard time believing it could easily be different. My problem is I don't want see a second version of the same character even if it is the best villain in the series, unless it's Diego who isn't that much like the main Dio when it's all said and done. His older version's better in about every way and literally the only reason they're probably adding is because "Oh hey, we need a villain for every part because reasons." That being said they have made some really cool choices on the character roster like Rohan, Akira, and Josuke 2. I just wish they wouldn't add characters out of some sort of obligation, I feel that's the worst way to go about making an anime game because it's easily what makes them stagnate quickly like the DBZ and Naruto games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've finally completed the volumes of JJBA released over here in the west. It's a really good translation that even with some of its goofy name changes is still worth spending money on. Also for anyone wondering, they did call Vanilla Ice by his name, so I'm pretty sure if they can get away with it there they can do it in anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

And it seems there's a new stage here as well, it looks like the train of Beach Boy/Grateful Dead.

This and Narancia are the best reveals. Now just give me Prosciutto complete with old man versions of each character and I'm set (No I'm not). I can almost guarantee though that King Crimson isn't going to function like he does in the manga, much like how it worked in Part 5.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ten-minute trailer for what's undoubtedly gonna be just showing new characters and story stuff is gonna be pretty obnoxious. I'm not saying I'm against the idea of seeing the new characters in motion, but if literally none of that 10 minutes is going to be showing off the game mechanics and I am going to be annoyed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

molokidan posted:

Trust me, Giorno's character is just as boring in Japanese. I think people are in agreement that Parts 3 and 5 of Jojo have relatively stoic/lackluster main characters, but I'm curious about the general consensus for Part 7.

Um no, Jotaro loving rules and I will get into an internet argument with anyone who says otherwise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Literally all of my time spent playing Cars is going to be finding the fastest ways to get into his super and then SQUIRREL HANDS ALL DAY EVERY DAY.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Cam Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWGvYiWT0M

Jojo has a lot of fangirls it seems.

Costumes confirmed, nice.

And no one gave a poo poo about AC/DC that day, that's great. I could do without the five minutes of showing off the entire cast, but hopefully when we get an actual high quality trailer I can notice some of the more finer details. I noticed they're using the Blazing Fists mechanic from the JJBA fighter, so that's a nice little nod there among the myriad of other nods.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Don't worry, I think they're going to announce a Naruto game.

Man they just release their newest Naruto game three months ago, there's no way they're putting our a new one so soon. It's probably ASB or a completely new project altogether. That being said I'm still importing even if it is hitting the west, the sooner I play it the better and I'll buy it again in English so I give even more money to JoJo.

On the subject of Diamond is Unbreakable. I didn't really like Diamond is not Crash, I've been saying Unbreakable for years and I don't care for the kind of Engrish that invade the title of the series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Wait nevermind, I thought he was talking about something else. Another Kira could be very possible, especially if another Dio that's not Diego is possible too.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Broseph Brostar posted:

Thing is, part I Dio is only necessary to give Jonathon a proper villain.

Why does Jonathan need a proper villain in this game? For his part of the story mode? Make a drat what-if scenario where Jonathan fights Part 3 Dio, there done. I've given Jonathan his proper villain and spared wasting time and development on Part 1 Dio and his boring powers. Also, I am not at all disbelieving CC2 making a second Kira, because they are a stupid set of developers who have hosed up priorities on their cast under the reasoning of "We're remaining true to the series" and they could use a second Kira that has the more crazy and memorable stuff Kira had to justify making his David Bowie look DLC and still give Josuke a villain.

Again, this is all just speculation based on there not being Stray Cat or Bites the Dust in Kira's moveset, but I still do not doubt they will make a second Kira.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 10, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hope someone gets to translating that trailer asap so I can read that section that looked like it was talking about gameplay mechanics for all of 10 seconds before it switched to costumes and poses and focused on that more instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd assume story mode is like cutscenes and series reenactments while campaign is like arcade mode where you battle through some dudes and get a character specific ending, that's just my assumption though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Meme Emulator posted:

I kept hearing rumors how some of the devs were at E3, what were they showing, a Naruto game?

I really don't see what they'd have to show given they just released their newest Naruto game 3 months ago. They literally have nothing to show that isn't JJBA at this point unless they have some sleeper project absolutely nobody picked up on.

onepixeljumpman posted:

That's exactly what it is. I don't know if it's going to be some BlazBlue long cutscenes with fights time to time or something else, though. Probably that.

It's supposed to be unconventional, but I really hope they don't go visual novel stlye. I don't expect them to do everything in a cutscene, but anything that isn't visual novel style would be fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tobaccrow posted:

ASB League started this morning. Which is a tournament of AI matches that will also feature characters that haven't been announced yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8adHXwNWs
Buccellatti Vs. Josuke and Jonathan Vs. Dio

The music sounds so much like the music from the Naruto games it's not even funny. Chiyako Fukuda is a good composer though, I just hope more tracks in the game have a more... well, diverse style. I liked the unique dialogue between Jonathan and Dio a lot. The gameplay looks okay, so I've got some hopes, but I don't really see it being anything spectacular.

Also, is there any place I can buy the limited edition that isn't sold out? I can't believe this thing is still selling out and we're two months away from the game's release, I WANT MY JOTARO FIGURE DAMMIT.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't call it stealing so much as I'd call it "Everyone rips off everyone else" much like how Araki's story was heavily inspired from Fist of the North Star, lest we forget Jonathan "Kenshiro" Joestar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest Vento Aureo is pretty bad before the ending too, just not ridiculously bad. It's more like you get some good stuff and then some bad stuff here and there. Also get it right, the entire story goes off the rails when Bruno is punched through the fuckin heart by Diavolo and continues living.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is it so hard to get footage of actual people with hands and thinking playing this game? I mean, I'd probably have a more solid opinion on the gameplay if I could see some actual people playing it. These computers don't do anything special and it's really just making me more wary of the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Hol Horse is all you need the computer was horrible at playing what with the sending shots away from the opponents. However it's pretty clear that in Human hands this would be pretty cool.

Not really. Like if the Capcom game that they're taking a lot of their cues from is any indication it's going to operate in the same way it did there. Press stand button, push a direction immediately after you fire it and it'll follow that direction. Although it was a good thing to have in that game because it was fast enough to have plenty of use. It looks like garbage in this game because the projectiles we've seen move pretty slow, probably to motivate you to do close quarters combat since a lot of the characters in the game are probably made for that style. However that's going to gimp out range characters and make them rather worthless, especially since the game is a 3D fighter.

If you're talking about the gameplay, I still reserve the right to skeptical until I actually something worth getting excited about. Having actual human people playing against each other in the game would do a lot more for my skepticism, but it seems like they're not willing to do that for whatever reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

onepixeljumpman posted:

It's about appealing to the "Wow! Character X is fighting Character Y that they never would have," section of the fan base. That makes some sense since the game was probably designed around that idea first and "Let's make a fighting game" second, but it's not doing he game any favors.

Which is the most infuriating about this game and CC2 altogether. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, was the first series with an actual good fighting game based on anime property. The game has gained fans just through being a really good competitive fighter. So instead of it being handed over to Capcom again who would probably have weird gimmicks, but it would still be solid for competitive play, they give it to CC2. CC2 being the company thats entire MO is literally style over substance as their Naruto games and Asura's Wrath prove. On top of this they've actually advertised crap like poses, cutscenes in the middle of fights, and now this popularity contest that shows the CPUs badly playing their game over an actual explanation of the mechanics or showing off the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Maremidon posted:

If they have mini-game versions of the games D'Arby made the team play, I'll forgive sub-par gameplay.

The PS1 version has these and that one is a bad port.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

Like I know cc2 have made (a lot) of dumb games, but this game is looking really solid, and it's clear that cc2 is ~trying~ to make it good, otherwise we'd still have the moon jumps and three hits = full bar nonsense of the original builds.

The problem is we don't know how much they're trying to make it good. They tried making the Ultimate Ninja Storm games better and they're still just like every other anime fighter they've made. I'm not going to be able to form an actual solid opinion until I have the game in my hands and play it obviously, but nothing I have seen really makes me feel like this game is going to be good. I've already explained why, so I'm not going to go into another tangent about it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 12, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And Warner Bros. blocked it again, RIP Antfish.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That sounds loving ridiculous and it's probably the most interested I've been in hearing how a character would be adapted into the game. I've got to admit, the idea of the Green Baby being used to level up is funny and Made in Heaven sounds so ridiculous broken I can't help but wait and see how this turns out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terror Sweat posted:

There is something just so unsettling about Jojolion compared to the earlier volumes.

It's been pretty unsettling since Josuke was found lying naked in the wreckage of an earthquake-induced upheaval and the mention of WALL EYES.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stone Ocean's really good, but it suffers a lot from having a really unbeatable villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mikeycp posted:

I just finished Stone Ocean.
What the gently caress just happened.

I mean, I know there's an alternate timeline now, but those last few chapters were a bunch of weird bullshit that I couldn't make sense of. And people say King Crimson is confusing? :confused:

It's pretty simple. Pucci's not a complicated dude, his stands are much more simple than say, Diavolo's. Basically what Pucci did was spin around the world so fast, he basically caused it to reset and start a new timeline, he was going to keep doing this until the Joestar bloodline had been wiped out and then the world will have become Dio's heaven as he saw fit. ...Oh and Rohan Kishibe makes his loving deadline, time speed up or no.

• Locked thread