Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

OxeHunden posted:

...the tv will be my best friend.
Space Brothers is an ongoing show with lots of episodes and a comforting vibe. I watched a lot of it recently when I was ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any manga or anime that explores depression as a central theme?
Welcome to the NHK.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

zenintrude posted:

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

That said, what else might I look into?

Time of Eve. I love a bit of mundanity myself and I found HR a bit slow paced, though I still enjoyed it. Time of Eve is one of those shows where the slice of life sections serve to bolster the thematic and narrative aspects rather than distract or dilute from them. Don't let the robots put you off!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(Thanks again for reminding me it existed, Chas McGill!)
Everyone should watch Time of Eve and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kingnothing posted:

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) is a real nice show with plenty of good jazz. The relationship stuff gets a little annoying but overall really chill and nice.

And no special music, but Hyouka is really fantastic.
Yeah, I should've listed things I've already seen (aside from Bartender) - Kids on the Slope was definitely something I watched at night to wind down. I agree with you about the relationship stuff, though I really enjoyed the look and sound of it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Is this suggestion missing a word or is it some kind of April Fools' joke?

GloomMouse posted:

Nichijou has plenty of comedic shouting and crazy action gags though.
This seems interesting, but might be too frenetic. I generally like surreal shows, so I may check it out anyway.

unpronounceable posted:

There's also Aria the OVA: Arietta, which takes place between Natural and Origination. Along the same lines, Sketchbook ~full color's~ is similarly paced, and also extremely chill.

McNagah posted:

I want to second this recommendation as well. The first season has a rocky start though, but Natural and Origination is quite excellent. If you don't mind a manga recommendation I suggest checking out Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou also.
Never heard of Aria before. I like the premise. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is something I've wanted to read for a while because it seems like exactly the sort of thing I love (robots, cafes).

Endorph posted:

Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey would be a good choice. There's a two parter that's somewhat action packed, but even that is pretty slow and calculated about it compared to most action anime. For the most part it's just Kino goes to a place, experiences it, and thinks deep thoughts.
That sounds good.

Paracelsus posted:

Mushishi tends to be rather slow and calculated and has a very chill soundtrack.

Zorak posted:

Mushishi is chill as can be and I highly recommend it. It has such a very slow and very quiet pace, while at the same time using each little piece phenomenally well.
I should probably have cited Mushishi instead of Bartender in the first post. I was recommended it when I asked for things like Master Keaton in the old thread and I loved it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
On the subject of Mushishi - someone on the Guardian did a feature on 5 animes and their choices were quite interesting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just popping in to say Welcome to the NHK was good. I'm not sure how I'd phrase it, but I enjoyed that it was slice of life rendered with some realism, and it explored some psychological concepts.

I watched the dub and it was serviceable but I felt like it was holding the show back from being something truly great, but I get that feeling any time I watch a dub that doesn't have "great" writing. I mean it's just easy to blame the translation when for all I know the writing was like that begin with.
Yeah, Welcome to the NHK is one of the better slice of lifes I've seen. I'm also totally with you on liking shows that deal with people living in small apartments - probably because I live in a tiny 1-bedroom place myself and see it as interior design research. Another one that deals with small flats and poverty is Tatami Galaxy.

As for the dub - I thought it was pretty decent. I particularly liked his nerdy friend's (forgotten the name already) voice.

Anyway, I watched a couple of the recommendations people gave me for relaxed shows:
Aria - only watched the first episode of this. It does seem to be rather chilled out, but the visual style isn't really to my taste and it's a bit too cutesy. Will watch a couple more, though.
Hyouka - I almost gave up on this about 5 minutes into the first episode when Chitanda was introduced - I couldn't handle how full-blown anime it was. However, the idea of a club solving hilariously mundane mysteries really appeals to me, so I watched the next two episodes. The voice acting and character designs for the girls irritates me, but the actual mystery solving and tone of the show is more or less what I wanted. Jury's out.

a kitten posted:

So is the manga Solanin, it also covers being young and on your own for the first time in the city.
From what I've read of Solanin so far it might be exactly what you're looking for. I just wish it was an anime, too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 4, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Smoking Crow posted:

All of these shows seem super depressing. Do you have any quirky slice of life stuff that involves romance and ridiculously happy characters? I wish I had something to compare it to, but I've already played most of my cards in my first post.

Edit: I take that back. I really like Robotics;Notes. I want one with a character as happy as Akiho.

Nodame Cantabile.

It's cheerful and quirky. It's mostly slice of life. Both the main characters have brain problems.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's another good protagonist-solves-problems anime in the vein of Master Keaton, Mushishi, Mononoke, GTO, Bartender?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

City Hunter fits the bill too, but you probably wouldn't like it.
I actually quite like City Hunter, although I haven't watched all of it. Might go and watch some more now you've reminded me. I'd prefer it if the problems weren't invariably solved by the impact of an accurate bullet, but I'll take what I can get.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe Hyouka? Main protagonist is a sort of Sherlock Holmes-esque character but lazy as all gently caress unless something interests him. The characters are enjoyable without being annoying, the puzzles are interesting and varied enough to keep from becoming stale, and it's fairly recent.
Hyouka was recommended to me when I asked for chill stuff and I see how it fits the bill of problem solving, though I only managed to watch about 4 episodes before giving up because I didn't like the art style/setting very much. Shame, since I love the idea of an amateur detective crew solving mundane mysteries.

Zorak posted:

Well it's more a protagonist solving a single very large problem, but if you liked Master Keaton you could check out another Naoki Urusawa anime, Monster.
Monster is one of my favourites.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kingnothing posted:

Please keep going with it. The strange art dials down a whole lot. The setting doesn't change too much, but it does a little bit later (there are a few more mysteries than just the Hyouka one). It really is great.

DamnGlitch posted:

Art was the only thing that grabbed me about hyouka. I was bored out of my mind by ep 9 or 10 and was horrified when I learned it was a full 24-26 series.

The actual animation and colouring is good, as is the representation of flashbacks and data (such as the visualisation of what brunette-toddler-girl's uncle did when he was at school). My main problem is just that I'm tired of high schoolers and uniforms. After a couple of episodes my tolerance for moe infantilisation was stretched really thin. It made me want to watch City Hunter again.

I can understand the appeal of the show (unlike other stuff that's been recommended to me, like Toradora) - it seems well made and I like the premise.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?
Stuff I recommend to everyone:

Time of Eve - 6 episode series that focuses on the relationships between humans and androids with reference to Asimov's laws of robotics. It has snappy dialogue, nice animation, and a touching story.
Tatami Galaxy - Riotous art style matched to a continuous monologue tells a story with time and space weirdness.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Probably the best anime ever made, in my opinion. I haven't really recovered enough from watching it last year to stop comparing other animes to it (and finding they fall short).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

SomniumObmutum posted:

Thanks for the ideas guys, Baccano! is probably going to be number one on my list because it takes place during one of my favorite story telling periods, Prohibition! Also I guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good? I honestly can't tell if its a giant running gag or if its a legitimate thing I should watch.
LotGH is one of the few times that the hype has been justified.

I didn't really like Baccano, but a lot of people do, so there must be something about it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

I'm holding out for now because it's so freaking long and I don't have that much time to budget.

Also, I'm a bit biased against the dated animations. Even among movies there are VERY few old-school movies I'm willing to watch, and most of them are Hitchcock, and in the same way I don't think I'd enjoy the animation as much as I would a more modern anime. That said, I will get to it eventually.

The animations in LotGH are occasionally variable in quality, but they usually maintain a high standard. I think in the old thread I moaned about how the spinoff series, which are made using modern (well, 90s) graphics are absolute guff compared to the originals. The artstyle and character designs make up for any shortcomings in the animations in the original series, in my opinion.

ViggyNash posted:

On another note, Time of Eve has just blown me away. I wish the show could have been longer so that it could flesh out the world a bit more and provide us with a bit of back story a major event that was only hinted at, but they manage to squeeze so much interesting content into 6 15-minute episodes that it astounds me. I went in believing it would be an overtly serious discussion about AI and the human consciousness, but all of that discussion was delivered in a very lighthearted manner with amusing moments that always took me by surprise. This is a fantastic show that always keeps you thinking about the discussion.
:allears:

It's the only anime I've bothered rewatching just so I could show it to other people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Guys, why didn't I like the two episodes of Baccano that I watched? I should love everything about it, really, but I don't. The opening theme creeps into my head and I find myself humming it while washing dishes or brushing the cat. Most of the characters are adults. It isn't set exclusively in a highschool. It's like the antithesis of all that I moan about in anime. Yet I don't love it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I tried it before.

I also didn't really like Durarara.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thirding Time of Eve.

I'm going to try Baccano again this weekend. I think I was put off at the start by the number of characters and speed of the narrative. If I give it a few more episodes things may coalesce into a story I can understand.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Use peerblock and turn upload off when you get LotGH. It has a billion seeders anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

StandardVC10 posted:

So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.
I'd recommend both Detroit Metal City and Astro Fighter Sunred for comedy animes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me a show with the anime equivalent of Mulder and Scully -- an adult man and woman whose relationship is professional rather than romantic/family/etc, who work as equals to solve problems. If you know of something similar that only follows most of those guidelines, that's fine too; I'm willing to budge on anything except "they're both teenagers."

The near-perfect example would be Roger and Dorothy's interactions in The Big O, except that he's her boss.
Wish I could recommend something else for you here, although Tetsuko no Tabi does look pretty awesome.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've seen people talking about how School Days is a big troll before - could someone direct me to a spoilery link that explains it all or summarise what's wrong with it? I'm curious enough to want to know, but not enough to actually watch something that is bad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cake Attack posted:

Here's a summary of the whole shindig, I am still not entirely convinced that it's not a brilliant satire of harem anime/Dating sims.

So the setup is incredibly conventional; you have the boring everyman protagonist, and the multiple highschool girls who are strangely attracted to him. Except, it quickly becomes obvious our everyman isn't quite the typical everyman, he's actually just a horny and somewhat unethical teenager. So basically a teenager :v:. So he starts dating Girl 1, but when she won't sleep with him, he starts dating Girl 2 who will, without actually breaking up with Girl 1. Then, when he gets bored of Girl 2, he sleeps with Girl 3 when she shows interest in him. Anyway, skipping some stuff, it turns out Girl 2 is pregnant, and (this is where my memory gets fuzzy) shunned by everyone else, our hero starts dating Girl 1 again. Who goes crazy, and kills Girl 2 to see if she's actually pregnant (she wasn't), then decapitates our hero, with the last scene being Girl 1 cradling his head while on a boat out at sea.

Captain Invictus posted:

You could watch the ending, which is pretty hosed up and very :nws::nms:! Just a warning before you go clicking that link anywhere that might get you in trouble!

edit: whoops, shoulda refreshed the thread.

That's amazing. So, what happens is pretty much what should happen to most everyman protagonists. I'm at work, so I probably shouldn't watch that vid.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There are loads of animes that I'd love to hear dubbed in English - Master Keaton, with its wide array of nationalities represented, would be perfect, provided the cast was talented enough.

I watched Yugo: the Negotiator with a dub a few months ago and the voice acting was absolutely terrible. Same goes for the Big O, Speed Grapher, and Wolf's Rain, so I don't agree that dubs are of a generally good standard nowadays.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cake Attack posted:

But... those are all fairly old shows. Speed Grapher is the most recent of all of those, and it came out eight years ago.
Bloody hell, you're right. For some reason I thought they were newer. I guess I'm not really up to speed on the state of dubbing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Endorph posted:

Also Big O's dub was great.
I tried to get someone to watch it with me on the condition that we'd watch the dubbed version. They laughed out loud at the protagonist's 'anime' voice and refused to watch anymore. I didn't really want to watch it either, even though I was a big fan of the Japanese version.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think they were put off by how stereotypically 'anime' Blum's acting is. For me, I associate him too strongly with Spike Spiegel. I liked his voice acting in Cowboy Bebop, but I don't think I've enjoyed him in any other role.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
At the rate you're going there won't be any animes left for you to watch in a few weeks.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

KittyEmpress posted:

I bought a subscription to Crunchyroll to watch Attack on Titan and HxH. What other ongoing anime are good?
Space Brothers, Flowers of Evil, Chihayafuru.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pulpie posted:

So I'm starting to get back into anime after a long 5 year hiatus. I watched a half dozen different series's to get a footing on what I might like and of them I probably liked Monster the best, even if it was 30 episodes too long. So is Master Keaton worth looking into?
Master Keaton is great, although it isn't much like Monster in tone. There are superficial similarities - traveling problem solver, lots of (European) countries visited, art style, an appreciation of modern history, and intelligent adult protagonists.

I adore both series.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 14, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there a Scottish Gundam?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Naoki Urasawa knows about Scotland. :(

There's a Master Keaton episode set here, and one of the robots in Pluto is from Scotland.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A while back someone recommended the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga to me. I've read the first three volumes and I think it's lovely. The art has an elegant, lyrical quality and really brings out the feeling of a world in graceful deterioration. The writing, which is always from the POV the characters, does an excellent job of conveying a larger narrative without clods of exposition - the characters have a sense of history and place. A gentle, elegant story so far. I think this is the first thing I've read/seen that captures some of what I liked so much about Time of Eve, beyond the superficial resemblance of having robots in cafes (two of my favourite things, I suppose).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah YKK is amazing, one of my favorite all-time manga. I was so sad when it was over (though I also think it had the perfect ending).

E: Just to have an actual recommendation in here, if you like YKK you may enjoy Mushishi or even Haibane Renmei if you haven't seen them already.
:)

Yep, I saw those already. The recommendation for YKK a few months ago was probably from me asking for something similar. There isn't enough of this stuff. By 'this stuff' I mean slice of life with enough (subtextual?) narrative, interesting characters, and unique atmosphere to keep me watching. That and I think I'd watch almost anything that features a cafe/eating establishment/small shop in a prominent way.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The only football anime worth watching is probably Giant Killing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sonata Mused posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
Yes, it's extremely comforting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd suggest Space Bros as another comforting, slow paced thing.

Planetes has more plot and more action. I really liked the anime and didn't read the manga. I remember really liking the music in the anime, particularly the track that plays when Hachimaki is hanging on the moon.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic. Something along the lines of these:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey (I love this one)
Mushishi
Serial Experiment Lain
.hack//sign (Not very good)

It can have action in it, preferable kinda muted though.
Another recommendation of Time of Eve.

Nate RFB posted:

As much as I love YKK I didn't really care for the OVAs. It's something that definitely works best in the manga format. You should definitely give a read when you get the chance, there's a whole lot more material the OVAs don't cover.
Yeah, I'm loving the manga, but I haven't checked out the OVAs yet. The art in the manga is gorgeous and really conveys a sense of peace and stillness.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first three episodes of Working!! and...I don't get it. I was warned that the protagonist was a bit of a creep but I wasn't prepared for how repulsive he is. At least the other characters give him a hard time about it, I guess. Although, the way the show works it still caters to exactly the same kind of creeps as the protagonist by giving so much screen time to the unbearable uguu-munchkin object of his desires.

The other characters are fine and even amusing at times. I'm intrigued by the lazy Kyoko and her katana wielding sycophant, Yachiyo. The cooks seem like cool guys. Inami beats the protagonist up, so she's fine in my book, though I'm distressed by the possibility that she'll end up falling for the paedophilic milquetoast due to plot pheromones at some point.

People have said the second series is better - would it be worth skipping the rest of the first season to check that out? I like the setting and some of the humour, I just hate the two main characters as they currently are.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

The show is a long way from being perfect, but as an actual anime sitcom set in a restaurant I thought the funny bits outweighed the bad.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I'll give it a couple more episodes. Otoo seems like an interesting character.

It's sad how often fun animes are let down by their protagonists.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Pickles posted:

Goddamn you guys for introducing me to this, it was so good but so short. Now it's going to bug me for a long time that there's no more of it.

On that note, and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I just bought the bluray on amazon, but I don't know if I got the right one, does the 2011 Original Edition have English subtitles? The product description is non existent, and the 2010 version is very expensive.

Since the kickstarter has met its goal and the likelihood of them shipping a new DVD version seems high, I'd actually recommend backing it instead of buying anything now, especially since there may well be extra features and an English dub when it eventually releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

Not recommending anything, just curious.
In mechanical design terms a lot of their viability would depend on what fancy future materials would be available in whatever year GITS is set in. I've always been a fan of their design and think that they're a lot more plausible looking than any bipedal robot I've seen - this includes the robots in VOTOMS. The four wheeled legs would provide enough stability for the body and they seem to articulate well for suspension, though something that always bugged me about them was that the wheels seem too small to generate enough power to make the tachikomas speed around like they do. Again, could be future materials. I'd buy that before I'd buy bipedal robots with jetpacks. Their big backpack/power source/whatever it is looks like it could present balance issues, though I think the weight distribution would be fine with the legs compensating when a human isn't riding in the front. :spergin:

I've banged on about this before, but I love how they perfectly fit as friendly looking police robots. They're potentially deadly as gently caress, yet they don't really look it. You could see a tachikoma rescuing a child from rubble just as easily as a tachikoma blowing a cyborg away with a cannon.

I love tachikomas.

• Locked thread