Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Relambrien posted:

Psycho-Pass.

Excellent example, but I watched it as it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Black Lagoon is the only other thing that comes to mind for me that doesn't break your requirement about no teens.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me a show with the anime equivalent of Mulder and Scully -- an adult man and woman whose relationship is professional rather than romantic/family/etc, who work as equals to solve problems. If you know of something similar that only follows most of those guidelines, that's fine too; I'm willing to budge on anything except "they're both teenagers."

The near-perfect example would be Roger and Dorothy's interactions in The Big O, except that he's her boss.
I remember Mulder and Scully as having quite some romantic tension. About as much as the guys from Black Lagoon.
There are almost no Animes Works of Fiction with that description

If can budge on the problem solving, you could try Tetsuko no Tabi. Got adult man and woman working together professionally without romantic tensions. But they only work on making a documentary about the Japanese railway system.

Azazel and Ghost in the Shell would come close also but there is again the Boss/underling relation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

I remember Mulder and Scully as having quite some romantic tension. About as much as the guys from Black Lagoon.

If it's there but not the focus of the show that's fine. I guess I should have said "professional first" and not "professional rather than."

I've seen Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell too, though. :shobon:

I'll give Tetsuko no Tabi a shot.

StandardVC10 posted:

So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.

If you liked Azumanga, try Nichijou.

As for comedy recommendations in general, Level E is really good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

StandardVC10 posted:

I'd recommend both Detroit Metal City and Astro Fighter Sunred for comedy animes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me a show with the anime equivalent of Mulder and Scully -- an adult man and woman whose relationship is professional rather than romantic/family/etc, who work as equals to solve problems. If you know of something similar that only follows most of those guidelines, that's fine too; I'm willing to budge on anything except "they're both teenagers."

The near-perfect example would be Roger and Dorothy's interactions in The Big O, except that he's her boss.
Wish I could recommend something else for you here, although Tetsuko no Tabi does look pretty awesome.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Lucky Star is a solid choice for slice of life. It's one of those shows that you enjoy the more anime that you've seen.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I liked Death Note, The First Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and I've seen every Yu-Yu-Hakusho, I'm not really sure what drew me to those series, but I do know I found the new Fullmetal not as interesting, couldn't get into Code Geass, and was blah about DBZ. I have literally no idea why I like some animes and why I don't like others.

I also need help finding an anime, it had a child detective who was a kid, and he solved this one crime where the big turn around was the murderer wasn't fat at all, instead he was wearing tons of layers. I also kind of need dubs to watch an anime as I tend to watch them while I work or whatever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So, I liked Death Note, The First Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and I've seen every Yu-Yu-Hakusho, I'm not really sure what drew me to those series, but I do know I found the new Fullmetal not as interesting, couldn't get into Code Geass, and was blah about DBZ. I have literally no idea why I like some animes and why I don't like others.

It seems you like dark and tense action/drama shows but have a limited (but not too limited) tolerance for camp. Maybe try Psycho-Pass or Fate/Zero?

quote:

I also need help finding an anime, it had a child detective who was a kid, and he solved this one crime where the big turn around was the murderer wasn't fat at all, instead he was wearing tons of layers. I also kind of need dubs to watch an anime as I tend to watch them while I work or whatever.

Haven't seen it, but that sounds like Detective Conan/Case Closed to me.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
What he said. Also I'd recommend trying Darker Than Black, based on what you said you've liked. Its pretty good, and dubbed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god. Detective Conan is STILL A THING. I remember they were trying to bring a dub over here in the mid-to-late 90's along with Slam Dunk and, unlike the adventures of Sakuragi and the Japanese Chicago Bulls Shohoku, it tanked. Horribly.

So, after crying like a bitch with the Kurosawa pair, I needed a pick-me-up and this season's Devil is a Part-Timer is doing a fine job, but I'm kinda jonesing for more. What would you recommend that is consistently funny? Romantic Elements and Action are okay as long as it doesn't devolve into Love Hina bullshit / Infinite Stratos snore-fest; I want to bust my sides just like I've done with Devil.

Blhue posted:

Darker Than Black

Darker than Black has one of the best dubs I've watched this side of Baccano. Go for it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

StandardVC10 posted:

[...]I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.
Try "Hare+Guu". Its strange, fast-paced, and even though there's some semblance of arcs as far as characters are concerned, the whole show is so aggressively off-kilter that they're essentially just background noise.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

StandardVC10 posted:

Cromartie High School. Also seconding recommendations of Daily Lives of High School Boys, Astro Fighter Sunred, Detroit Metal City, and Nichijou.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Thanks for the recommendations. Already tried out a little of Nichijou this afternoon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Try "Hare+Guu". Its strange, fast-paced, and even though there's some semblance of arcs as far as characters are concerned, the whole show is so aggressively off-kilter that they're essentially just background noise.

Seconding this. Every other comedy on this page, however good, pretty much ran their course and I'm happy to let them end. Hare+Guu got two seasons and two OVAs and I'm still bitter that there isn't more.

(Well, that and I haven't seen Cromartie.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Already tried out a little of Nichijou this afternoon.

I don't care if you're looking for a giant magical girl mecha fantasy, I would still recomend Nichijou.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is brilliant. Well-dubbed, too.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Any self respecting anime fan owes it to themselves to read Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa at some point, really.

I finished reading this yesterday, the ending is really depressing. :smith:
It was good though. Edit: Actually.. the whole thing is depressing.

Can someone recommend me something like this, but with more positive ending?

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 5, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not completely the same thing but you might like Buraiden Gai, done by the same guy as well. Has a less depressing ending while still being kinda harsh/depressing during the main meat.

Although I don't think it's as good as Kurosawa, it's short so eh.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's not completely the same thing but you might like Buraiden Gai, done by the same guy as well. Has a less depressing ending while still being kinda harsh/depressing during the main meat.

Although I don't think it's as good as Kurosawa, it's short so eh.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, uuh, I.. I just finished all of Eva. Series, EoE, 1.0 - 3.0. Hideaki Anno is a batshit insane genius that probably pisses in a toilet made of paper-mache yen bills. Or maybe he just spent all of that, including all of his life assets, on 3.0.

In all honesty, there's no true way to explain what Evangelion as a whole is. It's just... something else. I had planned to maybe start FMA:B after this, but it kind of feels like I'd be taking a step backwards if I did that now.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 6, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's more or less impossible to even start explaining, considering where 3.0 has left us. I'm ambivalent until the last one comes out.

I enjoyed 3.33, but it's so out there that it's hard to really examine it without the last film. 2.22 on the other had, in using its contrast with the series, is really really incredible.

That said, don't be the guy who jerks off eva too hard. Go enjoy some other anime; half the reason people still stick their nose up at eva today is because folks hyped it up to crazy levels back in the 90s until everyone felt obliged to hate it.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 6, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

DamnGlitch posted:

That said, don't be the guy who jerks off eva too hard. Go enjoy some other anime; half the reason people still stick their nose up at eva today is because folks hyped it up to crazy levels back in the 90s until everyone felt obliged to hate it.
While I agree that hype can become obnoxious, sometimes it's nice to just be genuinely awed by something rather than having to like it in an ironic or comedic manner so that people won't think you're getting too big for your britches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

So, uuh, I.. I just finished all of Eva. Series, EoE, 1.0 - 3.0. Hideaki Anno is a batshit insane genius that probably pisses in a toilet made of paper-mache yen bills. Or maybe he just spent all of that, including all of his life assets, on 3.0.

In all honesty, there's no true way to explain what Evangelion as a whole is. It's just... something else. I had planned to maybe start FMA:B after this, but it kind of feels like I'd be taking a step backwards if I did that now.

If you can take early 80's animation, watch all of Space Runaway Ideon, especially the two movies. While Anno was influenced by so many things when making Evangelion if anything could be pointed at as the 'main' influence it's that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eva's really good but a big part of what makes it such a conversation magnet is how ambiguous it is, rather than how good it is. There's just so much to talk and argue about.

If all you want is something with the same depth and substance, there's always Revolutionary Girl Utena or Welcome to the NHK.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like to think Eva's stock has gone up as time goes on and people forget or grow out of the period of time when it was The Best Thing Ever of the 90's to early 00's. Partly because the Rebuild movies came out, but also because frankly there are so many other shows that took its place for people to overrate or get hyperbolic about.

Wholeheartedly recommend Utena as well, that would be a nice follow-up.

I was supremely disappointed with Ideon myself. I think your enjoyment of it would depend upon how much you can stand Tomino's characters. Gendo is more likeable than most of them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I like to think Eva's stock has gone up as time goes on and people forget or grow out of the period of time when it was The Best Thing Ever of the 90's to early 00's. Partly because the Rebuild movies came out, but also because frankly there are so many other shows that took its place for people to overrate or get hyperbolic about.

Wholeheartedly recommend Utena as well, that would be a nice follow-up.

I was supremely disappointed with Ideon myself. I think your enjoyment of it would depend upon how much you can stand Tomino's characters. Gendo is more likeable than most of them.

Likable Gendo? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Those characters must be abhorrent if Gendo is more likable than him. Although, I actually like Gendo more than Shinji so far as he deserves more respect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The characters in Ideon are more unsympathetic than unlikable (though I admit that's splitting hairs), they're mostly flawed characters trying to make the best of a lovely situation caused by a misunderstanding and making bad decisions because of it. Throw in the usual depressed Tomino nihilism (even when they try and make peace it's hosed up because of something outside their control) and you get a show that's never really going to appeal to everyone.

Ideon's real biggest flaw is that it's 39 episodes of set up for the :fuckoff: :suicide: second movie.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 6, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I enjoyed 3.33, but it's so out there that it's hard to really examine it without the last film. 2.22 on the other had, in using its contrast with the series, is really really incredible.

The way I see it, 3.33 was exactly what it needed to be, no more and no less. The whole movie was about making the point that Anno has tried and failed to get across since just before the end of the series: Shinji is a piece of misguided poo poo that was given the power of a god. All of the consequences of that are laid bare in all it's fantastically beautiful, money wormhole glory. Combine the ending of 2 with what we now know of the Human Instrumentality project from EoE and what became 3 was entirely to be expected as far as premise and setup. I just wish that Anno spend more time with the other main characters like Asuka and Toji's sister, and expecially Misato, but maybe, like you said, all of that and the plot continuation comes in the last movie.

Despite 3 having the best animation I've ever seen, I agree that 2 was probably the best of the Rebuild movies. The reimagined Angel designs were all fantastic in my opinion, and the redesign of the Eva Angel (Toji replaced with Asuka) sequence was absolutely fantastic and much more harrowing than the original. On top of that, the ending was the perfect setup for 3.

Ambiguous hype aside, I still think there's a lot to respect in Evangelion in both its technical and literary aspects.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 6, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
e:oops

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ideon's real biggest flaw is that it's 39 episodes of set up for the :fuckoff: :suicide: second movie.

It's a really rough sell because of that. I wish they made two compilation movies instead of one. With good editing that would be enough to show everything important while ignoring a lot of the inane fight of the week stuff.

There's some really cool episodes during the run, of course. But then you have some gimmicky fluff like "These pilots are twins that have a psychic link so their teamwork is amazing!". That combined with the fansubs being iffy at times can really make it a slog to get through, even knowing that the eventual payoff is great.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is there an official release date out yet for Funimation's dub of 3.33? A friend of mine marathon-ed the series then we watched the movies and promptly fell in love with the Rebuild series, 2.22 in particular.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
As far as I know, 3.33 hasn't even been optioned yet. I wouldn't expect a US release until 2014.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Is there an official release date out yet for Funimation's dub of 3.33? A friend of mine marathon-ed the series then we watched the movies and promptly fell in love with the Rebuild series, 2.22 in particular.

I would suggest just watching the sub normally (Especially for the original series. That dub was pretty bad sometimes.), but every second you spend reading the subtitles is a second that you aren't ogling at the product of a monetary black hole. I watched the sub because I just couldn't wait and ended up missing the subs sometimes because I was too busy just staring in wonder. I don't want to ignorantly claim that Eva 3.33 has the best animation of all time, so can someone confirm if that is or isn't true? I'd like to think it is true because I can barely imagine it being any better.

Also, "internet nerd" was translated into "networking four-eyes" in the sub somehow, which ended up being pretty amusing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Also, "internet nerd" was translated into "networking four-eyes" in the sub somehow, which ended up being pretty amusing.

No, she literally calls her "megane" i.e. glasses. The "networking" part is a reference to her having connections in high places, not computers. It's more like calling her "teacher's pet" than "internet nerd" but I guess that wasn't precise enough for them.

We've got an Eva thread if you're interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541145

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 6, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's part of the title of this thread, and even after I've already checked both the entry on the wiki and its respective thread, AND YES this is probably gonna make me sound like an utter poser, but I'm kind of... intimidated by the prospect of actually committing to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Is there a recommendation on how to tackle it? The way it sounds and how it's compared to Zeta Gundam makes it sound like it could be manageable and super good.

On the other hand, it seems like there's A LOT of important characters, like keeping-tabs-on-names-with-a-notebook amount of important characters; it is also sounds like something you really want to immerse yourself in. So... drat, I guess I just want to be one of the cool kids?

Seriously though. How did you manage?

e: vvvv Sounds like a plan! I found a torrent. Hopefully I can start the thing when the session is over.

I'm kinda excited, you guys. :)

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 7, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly? Watch the first episode. Then watch the second episode. Then keep on doing that.

I used to be in the same position as you, even dropping the show halfway through the first episode on my first attempt. Just get through the first couple of episode, and it should start to pull you in.

Also, take your time with it. The show is dense, so don't marathon it if you don't want to. Watch it at your own pace.

As for keeping track of everything, the show isn't actually that hard to follow. Also any important characters get title cards when they appear after a while, so don't worry too hard about any of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would actually recommend the first two movies instead of the first two episodes, if at all possible. The first movie is technically the first episode anyway, and I think a lot of people would agree that the second movie is an overall improvement over the first two episodes.

And yes the show goes out of its way to remind viewers who is who. Most likely you will remember everyone important anyway, because the cast is extremely memorable.

It's also alright to take it slow, it's 110 episodes but it's also neatly divided up into seasons like any other series. Though if you're like me and a lot of others, not marathoning it will be very difficult! I finished it myself in about a week, unintentionally :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, it's the kind of show once you get into it you just keep watching.

Seriously the best anime I've ever seen, there's just something unique about it.

Just watch it, basically :)

• Locked thread