Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Volume posted:

If you didn't save I wouldn't blame you for breaking the disc in half.
If you didn't, you have only yourself to blame :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Spiffo posted:

It might be because I'm too used to it, but what was so bad about Eternia's dungeons?

Well, to be honest, it's really only that damned forest and Chat's hut that really tick me off. But maaan they tick me off.

In all fairness, I really shouldn't have grouped them with Destiny or Phantasia, but it's also been a while since I played either one of those...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This one dungeon isn't honestly that bad though, outside of the one gotcha. You have not even begun to see Destiny's obtuse puzzle design. And that's why I love it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We do get some crazy dungeon design soon enough. We're right before what I like to consider the "half way" point. I have no idea if it really is half way in regards to game play but it's a good narrative half way point.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Volume posted:

We do get some crazy dungeon design soon enough. We're right before what I like to consider the "half way" point. I have no idea if it really is half way in regards to game play but it's a good narrative half way point.
Don't remind me. Back in the day I actually quit the game because of some of the nonsense we've yet to see and only picked it up several months after when I had cooled off. A PSOne prone to freezing doesn't help things either.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

*stumbled upon this LP, reading, catching up*
The lines in the Update 14 torture scene seem to be The Prisoner reference. Watch the last minute of the opening
This translation is neat.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've made a half-hearted attempt to play the game and I'm glad I stopped, actually - this way I retain all the hype with no actual experience of playing through some of the bullshit. The magic of LP.

Also, do Holy Water/Bottles not exist in this game, or are they relatively non-functioning, as they often seemed to in Tales of Eternia?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Szurumbur posted:

I've made a half-hearted attempt to play the game and I'm glad I stopped, actually - this way I retain all the hype with no actual experience of playing through some of the bullshit. The magic of LP.

Also, do Holy Water/Bottles not exist in this game, or are they relatively non-functioning, as they often seemed to in Tales of Eternia?

Holy Bottles are here and every bit as effective as they were in Tales of Phantasia/Tales of Eternia. That is to say, instead of a random battle every three steps, now sometimes you get to take four steps. :aaa:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Holy Bottles are here and every bit as effective as they were in Tales of Phantasia/Tales of Eternia. That is to say, instead of a random battle every three steps, now sometimes you get to take four steps. :aaa:

That's what I meant, it's just stupid - I really don't understand RPG with random battles and no option or ability to actually turn them off or at the very lest reduce the frequency considerably. Thankfully it's not a problem with modern games, but even FFVI had Mog's Charm.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Were we playing the same Eternia? Holy Bottles let you get way farther without having to battle, it's just that you're blowing through those steps pretty quickly so you don't really notice the difference.

Eventually you get such a feel for them that you know when to re-apply a Holy Bottle, because if you continually refresh them you won't get any battles at all.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, it's actually the earlier titles where the Holy Bottle is the most useful.

Or at least it seemed really useful in Destiny at the time.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Spiffo posted:

Were we playing the same Eternia? Holy Bottles let you get way farther without having to battle, it's just that you're blowing through those steps pretty quickly so you don't really notice the difference.

Eventually you get such a feel for them that you know when to re-apply a Holy Bottle, because if you continually refresh them you won't get any battles at all.

Maybe I just have lovely luck, then. Of course, it's also possible that I was expecting more of them and have judged them more harshly than they deserve - either way, no reason not to have an item that guarantees 0% encounter rate.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Eternia also had a less sadistic encounter rate, at least that's what I recall. But yeah, for the first two games Holy Bottles are necessity to not go absolutely crazy.

The best thing these games ever did wasn't going 3D, or free-run, it was ditching random encounters.

EDIT: Actually, has anyone played the PS2 remake? Does it improve Destiny's flaws? Because, man, I could kill someone for an English release of that game if it does improve the game.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2013

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Eternia also had a less sadistic encounter rate, at least that's what I recall. But yeah, for the first two games Holy Bottles are necessity to not go absolutely crazy.

The best thing these games ever did wasn't going 3D, or free-run, it was ditching random encounters.

EDIT: Actually, has anyone played the PS2 remake? Does it improve Destiny's flaws? Because, man, I could kill someone for an English release of that game if it does improve the game.

If you loved the battle system to Graces, you'll love the remake of ToD as it's *mostly* the same thing. They also changed a few story elements to make the game flow quicker (you meet Rutee and Mary on the Draconis in the beginning, rather than waiting until you crash). And the special edition let's you play the story through Leon's perspective.

Also they did cool poo poo like making certain spells transform when you used them in the air, so that you actually will be tempted to use spells! And now no spell-pause, and you can map spells, etc.

They also added a light crafting system, as well as upgrading your Swordian as you wish instead of them just gaining levels. The downside is now the Swordian characters are stuck to their canon weapon instead of just being able to equip whatever.

It is actually a really fantastic remake, the only real downside (to me) is they made dungeons more copy-and-paste. There are a lot of rooms that are just Tetris L-block filler rooms in-between the ones with actual stuff in them. It's disappointing, but might not be as noticeable for other people. I actually really like the insane dungeon design of the original and was sad to see it be sort of muted, but that's really the only problem I had with it (other than the no English bit).

There's still random battles if you hate that, though. Random battles don't really bother me unless the encounter rate is really high, though.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phantasium posted:

If you loved the battle system to Graces, you'll love the remake of ToD as it's *mostly* the same thing. They also changed a few story elements to make the game flow quicker (you meet Rutee and Mary on the Draconis in the beginning, rather than waiting until you crash). And the special edition let's you play the story through Leon's perspective.

Also they did cool poo poo like making certain spells transform when you used them in the air, so that you actually will be tempted to use spells! And now no spell-pause, and you can map spells, etc.

They also added a light crafting system, as well as upgrading your Swordian as you wish instead of them just gaining levels. The downside is now the Swordian characters are stuck to their canon weapon instead of just being able to equip whatever.

It is actually a really fantastic remake, the only real downside (to me) is they made dungeons more copy-and-paste. There are a lot of rooms that are just Tetris L-block filler rooms in-between the ones with actual stuff in them. It's disappointing, but might not be as noticeable for other people. I actually really like the insane dungeon design of the original and was sad to see it be sort of muted, but that's really the only problem I had with it (other than the no English bit).

There's still random battles if you hate that, though. Random battles don't really bother me unless the encounter rate is really high, though.

Where where you back in update two?

Volume posted:

On your way to Janos you'll encounter the same enemies as before. I didn't want to dump all the battle stuff together so let's cover the rest right now. This is the place in the update that I wanted to cover the differences in battles between the original and the remake. However I got distracted with that toilet fiasco so if some one wants to go into details about it and post it in the thread, feel free.

Added to the Second post.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You said you wanted to do it, though!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Phantasium posted:

Well, to be fair, since Swordians only leveled up (and I think learned new spells?) when you had them equipped, it was pretty much a no-brainer to keep them on all the time unless there was a boss fight you knew you weren't going to need them for.

Playing without actual spell pause, though, sounds pretty huge. I remember being absolutely blown away by that in Eternia - the summons paused the game for like 10 seconds at most, and other than that it was all real-time.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

How did this work with enemies that absorbed what your Swordian was selling?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well, to be fair, since Swordians only leveled up (and I think learned new spells?) when you had them equipped, it was pretty much a no-brainer to keep them on all the time unless there was a boss fight you knew you weren't going to need them for.

While true, the basic weapons tend to be stronger than your Swordian in any given area. Though yeah, you can easily mitigate this by equipping discs.

A thing you can do in this game that I don't think people know is that the Swordian users can use each others weapons. It doesn't really help you any it's just fun to dick around with.

Reinbach posted:

How did this work with enemies that absorbed what your Swordian was selling?

They didn't actually have passive elemental affinities, I don't believe. It was something you equipped if you had enough points for it. Each Swordian had this giant disc thing where you would equip skills to it using AP. It worked just like Vesperia's skill system, except this was for bonuses on your weapon instead of skills. So if you wanted you could prioritize buffing the weapon's STR or just upping it's magic, or challenge yourself by equipping nothing. I think affinities were just something you could equip in this manner.

The way chaining worked could allow you to bypass elemental affinities in a chain, too so if you used three different skills in a row they could all have the affinity of the first skill in the chain (or the first skill in the chain with an affinity). It was how they got away with Stahn having mostly fire skills (well, that and giving him a ton more artes; it seemed like he got a new one every drat level). There was more nuance to it, but this is what I remember.

Oh, and I just remembered, they gave each enemy an attack chain you were supposed to pull off on them for bonuses, and there was some quest reward for hitting every enemy with their chain. Like you would have to hit them with Demon Fang -> Tempest -> etc. -> last attack to get it. It gave some repetitive random battles some variety.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, holidays are over so I'll try to get an update in within the week. I got the screengrabs ready to go, it's just a matter of putting them together.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

You're doing a good service here, Volume

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 35

It's been a while since I updated so you might have forgotten where we were. If you're reading this in the archives please wait a month before continuing for the full real live effect.

Rest assured though that you haven't missed anything. We're still dungeon crawling.

And kicking rear end. :coal:

And doing repetitive puzzles.

dull repetitive puzzles.

I know what you're thinking. I was thinking the same thing. "I've been fooled before! We unlocked a door just to find more dungeon!"

But you're wrong!

"Lydon!"

"I want to congratulate you on following me here. I'm amused that you made it here"

"I mean, really, if you didn't luck out and have that sorcerers ring you'd still be stuck in the cave. Of all the stupid coincidences...":

"Unfortunately, it doesn't matter anymore since your luck and your pitiful lives ends here."

"You won't get rid of us without a fight! You'll pay for what you did to my father!"

"Oh, spare me do you really think you have a chance against me?"

"We're not going to allow you to continue your ruthless acts!!"

"Well, there shall be no mercy today! Witness the power of the Eye of Atamoni! Prepare to die!"

This is the part where twelve year old me would totally be mouthing out a total metal soundtrack as I charge into battle.

Feel free to add your own :krad: sound effects as you read this.

Or don't. I don't care.

I have to say though that I do like Lydon's spell casting pose. It's just so full of itself.

He's also really drat fast and blocks everything so he counters pretty much any physical blow you hit him with.

You can see him prepare his fearsome tickle attack.

As you can see, Lydon has a lot of strong moves at his disposal and he's not afraid to use them.

Ignoring the anime jumping, I don't even see how half of these moves even work. What kind of sword attack is that?

His combo's are also pretty punishing too.

Where he strings together all his attacks into one long chain. If it all hits just right, it can easily kill a character at full health.

That one, with the next three screenshots are my favorite bit.

I just like how he follows up with the jump. Star Ocean 2 was the first JRPG I ever played. Tales of Destiny was either second or third. And they kind of spoiled me for a while on other JRPGs. "What do you mean my guys just stand there waiting to be hit instead of running around the screen?" It was a hard transition.

Ultimately though, Lydon goes down like every other boss in this game: Stun locked in the corner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was he... using a swordian? A wind swordian?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So an interesting thing they did with this fight in the remake is that instead of fighting Lydon with a bunch of adds in the top (open) room of this clocktower, you fight him by himself on the very top of the tower, while the Draconis fires cannon shells at you from the background. Couldn't find a better image offhand, sadly.

For some reason the clock is on top of the clock tower.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013
I loved the jumping animation and physics in Star Ocean Second Story, felt more like a battle rather than 'Okay next it line, you're up to slap the monster in the face? Done? Okay good, next.'

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not dead! Just slammed with real life and work. I managed to play ahead a bit and get a bunch of screen shots. I'll have an update posted sunday!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm glad to hear the thread isn't dead! looking forward to continued updates!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yay, not dead! I kind of feel like I should reread the thread though, I've forgotten most of the plot. Unless Volume starts the update with a quick recap?

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 26, 2014

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thesaya posted:

Yay, not dead! I kind of feel like I should reread the thread though, I've forgotten not of the plot. Unless Volume starts the update with a quick recap?

I did a not so quick recap instead!

Bonus Update

Our story begins with a young man named Stahn who chose the wrong place to take a nap.

I kind of have the feeling that if the guards hadn't woken him up, Stahn would have slept right through this monster attack.

Thankfully our plucky hero finds a talking sword to help save the day.

Though he almost dies in the process

Luck seems to be on Stahn's side though as he was rescued by a wandering traveler. This is Garr. He's a king in disguise and a master of the bow

Though they soon after part ways, Stahn manages to find some new friends.

[/i]This is Mary. She has anime amnesia but that's ok because as you can see, she kicks rear end[/i].

And this is Rutee. She's a thieving money hungry woman with her own talking sword.

However their adventure is cut short when their arrested by some 17 year old named Leon. He also has a talking sword. Starting to see a pattern?

As punishment they are brought before the king and electrocuted.

However when one of the strongest most loyal generals in all the land requests to go on a mission, the King decide's it's better to send three untrustworthy criminals.

And thus our hero's embark on a quest for something that's never really explained all that well.

After peeing on a statue we find our next friend, Phillia. She informs the party that a giant anime weapon of mass destruction was stolen from this temple.

Some how that's the parties fault and they have to get it back.

Armed with a new ship, they sail blindly into the world to find whatever it is they're looking for.

And run into a sea dragon.

However, instead of fighting it they...ride it to the bottom of the ocean?

Where we find our fourth talking sword! With her new sword, Phillia quickly becomes a battle mage wrecking the poo poo out of everything.

After escaping and following the clues, our party attacks a group of pirates led by the thief of the anime weapon

Our party captures the boss and fails to get anything out of him.

And soon Batista makes a cunning escape.

The hero's follow Batista's trail to his new hide out.

And make friends with a traveling Bard.

Stahn and company proceed to raid a castle,

Defeat Batista again,

And rescue a prince.

Their quest leads them to this town for some reason.

Where once again an Evil King need's his rear end beaten. Next to him though is Lydon, the mastermind of all this world ending plot.

However Lydon escapes in the chaos. And you thought this game was almost over.

Instead our hero's reunite with an old friend. Although Garr doesn't have a talking sword, he can hear the swords talk.

One more oppressed town

One more raided castle

One more big bad at the top. This time however we're fighting the bastard we have been chasing for the last 30 hours.

And like a chump, he goes down.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

We've just about reached the halfway point now, if my memory serves; that recap was probably very well needed, because it's all :psyduck: from here.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 36

Just like any one with a kink, Lydon can't keep his masochism to himself.

"But you insignificant life force means nothing before the Eye of .Atamoni's real powers! See with your own eyes! This is the true power of the Eye of Atamoni!"

Oh god it's the power of bubbles!

"I'm losing control... Impossible...what is happening to me?"

Considering this was suppose to be a weapon to destroy the world we are pretty lucky to not have been destroyed along with him. Although our hero's probably got massive dosage of radiation and died three years later due to radiation poisoning.

Glazius posted:

Was he... using a swordian? A wind swordian?

Yes he was! Garr's swordian. Although it's a bit shy and won't speak til nearly end game.

"We finally did it!"

"It's too early to celebrate."

"What?"

Well hit he off switch!

"It's going to explode at this rate!"

"Explode?! What, are you kidding?!"

"Young master! There's no other way!"

"drat it! There's no other choice! Quickly, everyone install this disc into your Swordian!"

I think this is like one of two times the game acknowledges that you can equip discs.

"Wh, what?"

"Hurry up!"

"What good is this going to do?!"

"Split up in four directions and raise your Swordians!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxTe9APAJ0

Mary just unplugged it.

"Hey, what did you just do?"

"It's a secret weapon from Oberon Corporation. Now, we must take the Eye of Atamoni to His Majesty. And after that, you'll be free."

"Fine, that sounds good to me!"

"Now, wait a minute."

"Garr?"

"You've all seen the Eye of Atamoni's powers. This shouldn't be entrusted to any mortal being. We should destroy it right here, right now."

I don't know. If a handful of untrained riff-raff sent on a random mission can stop it, is it really all that dangerous?

"Please, wait..."

"If we do that, we won't get our reward!"

Considering we're technically prisoners, we're lucky to even get that.

"If you don't want to do it, I'll do it myself."

"Stop it! It's useless!"

What...happened?"

I've had a lot to drink. I'm under a lot of stress at work. It's cold. It happens to every one, stop laughing!

"Besides, that little Swordian won't even be able to scratch it."

"Do women know about shrinkage?"

"This is insane..."

"You should trust the King of Seinegald. The Eye of Atamoni will be kept under Seinegald's protection and it will never fall into the wrong hands."

"...Hmmm...all right. But I'll accompany you to Seinegald. I want to personally make sure the King of Seinegald is a man worthy of my trust."

"Great, now that settles it."

"Let's take Lydon's Draconis and go back to Darilsheid!!"

Not even gonna bother to say hi to this Draconis. I remember the last time it snubbed us.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let me guess, the Eye of Atamoni is drawing on the local Mana reserves. That's always how these things work in Tales games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Good to see this isn't dead.

Interesting that Garr decided "this dangerous thing should probably be destroyed", and very surprising that Leon didn't take that personally.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I lost my screenshots after some adware attacked an in my desperation I did a system restore. I did manage to save my save files though so all is not lost.

Sadly adware is still there.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Malwarebytes and an Avast boot-time scan should clear that right up.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

At worse try Combofix. It's a nuke level option, and you may need to reinstall your browsers after, but it usually works.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I distrust everything you've said, You claimed bubbles were evil.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 37

For a living, breathing, and apparently fireball shooting (thanks Phantasium!) hybrid dragon, the Draconis has some pretty snazzy rooms inside it.

"Philia? Why, hello there. What's going on? Do you need help?"

Cause I swear to god if you're here to preach about Atanomi again you're going to need medical help.

"Rutee? No, can't say I have. Isn't she in her room?"

"No, I thought she might be here."

"But why?"

"She seems depressed ever since Mary left and I thought it might help her feel better if I cheered her up..."

"Philia, you're so kind."

"Oh, no I'm...Please don't mention anything to Rutee about this."

"Sure. At any rate, let's try to find her."

"Okay."

There's not much new to explore in the Draconis.

"Silence! Just...leave...me...alone..."

"What happened to you?"

"I feel...sick...

"Sick? Airsick? From flying?"

"Yes... Just leave me alone..."

"I can't leave you alone! I thought we're friends."

Real friends electrocute each other on a regular basis

"Friends? I don't have friends!"

"Whatever. Hang on a bit. I'll bring you something cold to drink."

"Are you deaf? Go away, you meddling twit!"

"Leon..."

"You're always like this. I can't put up with you anymore! Let me tell you something. People will deceive you no matter how much you trust them!"

"What's your point?"

"Can't you see? I don't trust anyone. So leave me alone!"

If Swordian's could cry, Chaltier would be weeping right about now.

"Your message is loud and clear. Anyway, get some rest. You should feel better in a while."

"Ugh. I sure hope so."

If you try to talk to him again he'll express his friendship with another electrical shock.

What do you want?"

"Thanks for telling us that you left your room! We were worried."

"Come on, now. Am I on a leash or something? I can be anywhere I want. If you don't need me, please leave me alone."

"You're being pretty harsh. I was looking al over the place for you. What's with your attitude? You're so drat selfish!"

"Selfish?"

"Yeah, don't try to deny it! How about the time we first met, or the time we faced Batista? You've always been totally selfish!"

"Well, maybe... You might be right. Sorry."

"Huh?"

"What's that funny look on your face?"

"Um, well, I didn't expect you... to apologize like that..."

"Do you think it's strange that I apologized?"

"Well, um, no, err...but..."

I actually do.

"It's alright. By the way, what did you want?"

"I was looking for you because you were missing for a while."

Take it from an expert, it's a long fall down. And speaking of which, they haven't even replaced the escape pods. This flying dragon transport is totally not to code.

"You seem depressed ever since Mary left. Philia was very concerned."

"Philia?"

"I don't think I'm depressed but I'd be lying to you if I told you that I don't miss her."

We all miss her and her shoulder-charge-a-bear tactics.

"Hey, Stahn, you're going home when this journey ends, aren't you?"

"What? Yeah... Yeah, I guess..."

"Stahn, will you listen to me?"

"What?"

"I want to tell you why I became a Lens Hunter."

"You wanted money, right?"

"Ummm, that's part of the reason. There are some people I want to protect. They raised me. Without them, I wouldn't be here today. I owe them my life. But they're in trouble now. And I need money to save them. You must despise me for being so greedy..."

I mean, I want to but it's kind of hard after the sob story.

"Oh, no..."

"It's all right, I know. But I wanted you to know the truth."

"But what made you tell me this all of a sudden?"

"I don't know. I thought maybe I might not be able to see you again after this and I kind of felt... And I felt..."

"Rutee..."

"I feel so relieved."

"Rutee?"

"Oh, I sound way too serious."

"I only need to put up with being called greedy a little bit longer. Besides, I'm not doing anything wrong. A lot of things happened, but I'm grateful to everyone now. Of course, I'm grateful to you too, Stahn."

I'm sorry Namco but this blossoming love still feels forced.

"Hey, Rutee..."

"What?"

"After this journey... Ummmm...if you want to. .. Um..."

"What?"

"Well, so, maybe we can... spend a bit more time..."

"Oh, you were here. I've been looking everywhere for you."

"I'm sorry. By the way, thank you very much, Philia. You were worried about me, weren't you?"

"What? Stahn, you told her..."

"Well, I, ahhh...no...but..."

"This is why we have to be careful around country boys they have big mouths!"

You're tearing this party apart, Stahn!

"Hey, that's got nothing to do with it!"

"We're not too far from Seinegald now. Philia, shall we prepare for landing?"

"Yes, let's go."

And poor Stahn is left there to wallow in is own self pity.

"I have already heard the news. Leon, thank you for retrieving the Eye of Atamoni. And Stahn, Rutee and Philia, you've also done a commendable job."

"Your majesty, I want to know something. What are you going to do with the Eye of Atamoni?"

"Who are you?"

"Ah, so you're the son of Sark, the Wise."

"My father is deceased, and my Phandaria was devastated by the powers of the Eye of Atamoni. I won't allow the same mistake to be repeated."

"Garr, not to worry. The Eye of Atamoni will never be allowed to fall into the wrong hands again. It will be secured underground beneath the castle so that it can never be used again."

"How can I trust your words?"

I mean, wasn't that basically the plan you had last time it got stolen?

"Ah, a skeptic, eh? Then, how do I gain your trust?"

"I want a written declaration from you stating that the Eye of Atamoni will never be used. I also want you to enter into an alliance with Phandaria."

"Are you speaking on behalf of Phandaria as its new king?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Excellent. I'll have the agreements prepared immediately for your review.

"I value your wise judgment, your majesty."

"By the way, Stahn, Your Swordian, Dymlos. That sword was recovered by our country's archaeological team. As you are aware, it was lost in transit. Therefore it must be returned to us."

"But..."

"Now that the Eye of Atamoni's threat is gone, the Swordian have gone back into stasis. They won't be revived unless another crisis develops."

"I guarantee that another crisis will not occur as long as our kingdom exists."

"...Okay, I understand. I'll return it to you."

Maybe now the voices will stop

"Guard, take the tiaras off their heads."

"Yes sir!"

"Whew, finally..."

"I feel like a new person..."

"It sounds like this is not relevant to me."

"First of all, all of this started because I couldn't stop Lydon. I don't deserve this reward."

Hell I'm still petitioning for you to be executed.

"That settles it. The three of you should get the reward."

"Hey, don't put me on the same level with them. I'm not interested in any reward."

I'm sure the fact that you're already one of the top paid generals in the country has nothing to do with that.

"Really? Then, we'll take the reward. Right, Stahn?"

"............"

"Stahn, what's the matter?"

"I don't want it either."

"Stahn! What are you saying?!"

"Can Rutee get all of it?"

"That's fine with me, but are you sure?"

"I really didn't set out on my journey for the sake of money. I wanted to get stronger and to see as much of the world as I could. Besides, I experienced many things that just can't be bought with money. So, I'm happy as I am. I don't need anything else."

"Stahn..."

"Very well."

"Well now, it sounds like everything's settled. I'll have each of you taken to your homes on the Draconis. It this acceptable?"

"Yes, please."

"I really don't need this assistance, sire. It's within walking distance to the temple for me."

"I'll pass too. Cresta is within walking distance too."

"Cresta?"

"It's my home town. Didn't I tell you?"

"No, you didn't!"

And if you try to visit the town before hand, Rutee ushers your party on out.

"What's the big deal? Let's not get caught up in all the details."

"I have concerns about the situation at the border. I'll go through Janos and then go home."

"I see... Then Stahn, I'll have the Draconis made ready for you. Wait outside for a while."

"Thank you, sire."

"My thanks to everyone."

"At last, case closed."

"Thanks for the memories. And thanks for all the hard work, Leon!"

"Well, you deserved it. But you weren't too bad."

"Why can't you be gracious for a change? Why can't you just say thanks?"

"But we're finally free to go our separate ways to go adventuring..."

"What are you saying? Are you continuing your journey? You have a home and family to go back to! You should go back!"

"I hope we can see each other again..."

"Oh, no, not me. I'm finished with getting myself into trouble."

"What are you talking about, Ms. Troublemaker?"

"What did you just say?"

"Ah, a royal invitation from the king. Sure, I'll make sure to drop by sometime."

"As for me, I must now rebuild Phandaria. And one more thing. I'll take care of Mary. After all, she is a citizen of my country. As the king, it is my duty to take care of my people. Her hometown, Cyril, is a stone's throw away from Heidelberg."

"Okay, thank you. I'll try to visit her when I settle down."

"I wonder if Mary is gonna be all right?"

I'm sure Mary's already moved off to an amazing spin off game by now

"...It's hard to say."

"And Philia, what are you going to do?"

"I'd like to help Bishop Ayles..."

"I can't believe you're still saying stuff like this. I think you should become an ordinary girl. Haven't you had enough of that world?"

"I only know the world inside the temple. Besides, I don't think I can survive in the real world."

The horrors of religious brainwashing.

"Goodbye, Philia."

"We'll meet again. I have this feeling inside me that we will."

"Okay, take care of yourself until then."

"Yes, and you too Stahn."

"Great. Please tell them I'll be right there."

"Yes, sir."

"Take care of yourself."

"Farewell!"

"Be good, Stahn."

"......"

"Rutee?"

Rutee?"

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Come on, it's not nothing."

"Just shut up and go!"

"Please go!"

"What's wrong?"

"You're awful! Do you want to see a girl cry? You're really a sicko!"

"What?"

"Fine."

"Yes...let's go."

"You're such a fool. You missed your chance to get the reward..."

"I just did what I thought was the right thing to do. No one forced me to do anything. I wanted to do it."

"Thank you, Stahn. If I didn't meet you, my life would have been a lot different. I would have thrown it away. I'm really glad we traveled together. When I first met you, I thought you were a naive countryboy I could easily manipulate. You're honest to the point of being stupid, and you gave your trust to people so easily. You're simple and easily flattered. You were at the right place at the right time for me."

Even during this touching scene we can take a moment to pick on Stahn.

But, you know... Everything turned out differently. Your goodness and purity won me over. Otherwise, I wouldn't have become this honest and open..."

"I think you had it in you all along..."

"You know, I'm not as good as you think I am..."

Are you forgetting how she robbed Old Man Walt?

"You're wrong! I don't think badly of you at all..."

"Well, anyway... Whether or not you agree with me, you've helped me alot. I can't thank you enough. I thank you from the bottom of my heart."

"Rutee..."

"I'm sorry for keeping you. You'd better go..."

"We've just saved the world! We're heroes! They can wait a little while longer."

"Unsung heroes, that is."

"Don't say that."

"Now, don't let it bother you. I know in my heart that you, Stahn Aileron, are a hero!"

I think this is the moment where if you put in your own name in place of Stahn's you're suppose to feel all proud.

"Will we ever see each other again?"

"Of course we will, you silly boy!"

"Yeah, that sounds more like the Rutee I know. All right, I'm going now. Take care!"

"You too!"

"Thank you for everything. Bye..."

"What?"

"I'm just going back home. But you need money, right? Here, take this."

"No, I couldn't take your money. You don't need to worry about me..."

"Besides, I don't use money or Lens that often anyway. So, I'd rather pass it to someone who can put it to good use. I can't help it because I know you need help. I can't ignore you like some perfect stranger."

"Thank you...Stahn."

"And you can sell my things for money too..."

"No, no...this is plenty."

"Don't be shy now."

"Really, I'm fine . Thank you, Stahn. I can't thank you enough."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I've gotta go now. Take care, Rutee."

"You too."

"Let's meet again someday."

"Today was just another day-another uneventful day in life"

"They returned home with the knowledge that they saved their world from the verge of disaster."

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Volume posted:

"I guarantee that another crisis will now occur as long as our kingdom exists."

This is probably more accurate than what the king actually says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

This is probably more accurate than what the king actually says.

drat there goes the surprise twist. Fixed in the update. Thanks.

• Locked thread