Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Volume posted:

That tower is a complete bitch. Sixty floors, no save points, hidden treasures with no hints towards the stupid poo poo you have to do to find them.

Aw, but that was part of the "fun" of the arcade game its based on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Just gonna say, the PS2 remake is great even if you can't understand it. The CC system is probably the most fun thing in any RPG, and even in its base stage there I thought it was fantastic (not a patch on Graces, but it was fairly limited by still using the LMBS). I'm a bit annoyed it never got released in English, but given that they'd have to translate about half of it from the ground up and probably re-localise the other half, I can't say I'm surprised.

It also shares a trait with Graces in that it's ridiculously easy to play even with no understanding of Japanese, as your next destination is pointed out on the world map, and there's only one puzzle in the game where you're pretty much required to look up a guide since it's based on lines of dialog to figure out (there's another one that seems like it should be like that, but then they highlight the text that's the right answer). But I might also be a bit biased since I've played the original and knew the plot ahead of time.

I love me some air combat, but the dungeons do tend to drag on a bit since large segments of them are just giant L block shaped rooms with a different background. It's really annoying once you've noticed it... but I guess it also gives you more time for fightin'.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tempest is always my favorite attack in these games, and I blame it on its usefulness in Destiny.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Volume posted:

You lucky bastards.

Seriously, it's the worst part in the game.

At least... well, that'll wait until later.

Also not as bad as the war segment from Phantasia, but at least you could cheese your way out of fighting some of those.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

Wait, that castle looks just like the dungeon you just left!

Same country!

Though the puzzle inside is somewhat different and reliant on you not forgetting something.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love the backdrops in this game. I'd love to see hi-res versions of them, though somehow I doubt they exist (or at least anymore).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, I never used Chester either

Garr gets super awesome, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I forget if this game had a monster log like later Tales games; if it did, weaknesses were in there. If not, then yeah, that's about how I remember it.

It does not. You had to use spectacles to see anything about an enemy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also Light. And then there are spells like Tractor Beam that have their own element which is never really defined but will still do double damage against certain foes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

From what I remember of Tales of Destiny, you're about 2/3rds of the way through the game before your party is finally stable enough to not wuss out right when you need them to.

It's more like, in the first two games (Phantasia/Destiny), your party AI is poo poo at everything except spells/skills, so as you get more abilities your party starts to be more helpful.

I think it's a vestigial thing from Phantasia mostly, since you spend most of that game as a melee character stuck with a bunch of mages.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately jumped to thinking about Castlevania when they saw this dungeon for the first time.

And it's got pretty rad music, too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Specifically, that's Stahn's sprite from the GBA Narikiri Dungeon games, which were basically vehicles for cameos. Although ND3 had some weird pseudo-RTS stuff going on.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This one dungeon isn't honestly that bad though, outside of the one gotcha. You have not even begun to see Destiny's obtuse puzzle design. And that's why I love it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, it's actually the earlier titles where the Holy Bottle is the most useful.

Or at least it seemed really useful in Destiny at the time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Eternia also had a less sadistic encounter rate, at least that's what I recall. But yeah, for the first two games Holy Bottles are necessity to not go absolutely crazy.

The best thing these games ever did wasn't going 3D, or free-run, it was ditching random encounters.

EDIT: Actually, has anyone played the PS2 remake? Does it improve Destiny's flaws? Because, man, I could kill someone for an English release of that game if it does improve the game.

If you loved the battle system to Graces, you'll love the remake of ToD as it's *mostly* the same thing. They also changed a few story elements to make the game flow quicker (you meet Rutee and Mary on the Draconis in the beginning, rather than waiting until you crash). And the special edition let's you play the story through Leon's perspective.

Also they did cool poo poo like making certain spells transform when you used them in the air, so that you actually will be tempted to use spells! And now no spell-pause, and you can map spells, etc.

They also added a light crafting system, as well as upgrading your Swordian as you wish instead of them just gaining levels. The downside is now the Swordian characters are stuck to their canon weapon instead of just being able to equip whatever.

It is actually a really fantastic remake, the only real downside (to me) is they made dungeons more copy-and-paste. There are a lot of rooms that are just Tetris L-block filler rooms in-between the ones with actual stuff in them. It's disappointing, but might not be as noticeable for other people. I actually really like the insane dungeon design of the original and was sad to see it be sort of muted, but that's really the only problem I had with it (other than the no English bit).

There's still random battles if you hate that, though. Random battles don't really bother me unless the encounter rate is really high, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You said you wanted to do it, though!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well, to be fair, since Swordians only leveled up (and I think learned new spells?) when you had them equipped, it was pretty much a no-brainer to keep them on all the time unless there was a boss fight you knew you weren't going to need them for.

While true, the basic weapons tend to be stronger than your Swordian in any given area. Though yeah, you can easily mitigate this by equipping discs.

A thing you can do in this game that I don't think people know is that the Swordian users can use each others weapons. It doesn't really help you any it's just fun to dick around with.

Reinbach posted:

How did this work with enemies that absorbed what your Swordian was selling?

They didn't actually have passive elemental affinities, I don't believe. It was something you equipped if you had enough points for it. Each Swordian had this giant disc thing where you would equip skills to it using AP. It worked just like Vesperia's skill system, except this was for bonuses on your weapon instead of skills. So if you wanted you could prioritize buffing the weapon's STR or just upping it's magic, or challenge yourself by equipping nothing. I think affinities were just something you could equip in this manner.

The way chaining worked could allow you to bypass elemental affinities in a chain, too so if you used three different skills in a row they could all have the affinity of the first skill in the chain (or the first skill in the chain with an affinity). It was how they got away with Stahn having mostly fire skills (well, that and giving him a ton more artes; it seemed like he got a new one every drat level). There was more nuance to it, but this is what I remember.

Oh, and I just remembered, they gave each enemy an attack chain you were supposed to pull off on them for bonuses, and there was some quest reward for hitting every enemy with their chain. Like you would have to hit them with Demon Fang -> Tempest -> etc. -> last attack to get it. It gave some repetitive random battles some variety.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So an interesting thing they did with this fight in the remake is that instead of fighting Lydon with a bunch of adds in the top (open) room of this clocktower, you fight him by himself on the very top of the tower, while the Draconis fires cannon shells at you from the background. Couldn't find a better image offhand, sadly.

For some reason the clock is on top of the clock tower.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Basically, everything from Lydon's death to the next major plot point is a major blur for me.

I remember it simply because there's a forever missable item that comes up that if you don't get makes a feature of the game worthless for the rest of the game, and also because this is about the spot in the game where my disc started loving up, and where I had to pop it out of the PS1 mid-load and clean it.

Also a character that had a lot of rumors about how to get in your party but I'll leave that to when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

In the end, only one rumor proved to be true: To get that character, you need to buy the PS2 remake. :v: Oh, wait, that never came out in America? TOO BAD.

Or a gameshark. One of the two.

• Locked thread