Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

He's right that they're ugly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

World is crazy overrated, Mario 3 for life.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

You are hilariously bad at Dr. Mario.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Thwack! posted:

Believe it or not, I actually haven't saw how this game played before. It actually looks pretty fun and seems to be on par with SMB3 in terms of quality despite being on the Game Boy.

It looks okay but it feels really janky and the hitboxes are inconsistent and misleading.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

You guys nearly killed me when the kid randomly asked to buy a "farm steam engine" because "that's fog". Keith's wonderful reaction of "that's HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!" had me literally crying with laughter, that was the best poo poo.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Holy poo poo Blastris B is the most boring game ever created.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

darealkooky posted:

So by making the main character a girl instead of a boy, that can maybe possibly make them change other gameplay stuff that will actually shake up the series? Then you use an example of a game that kept link a boy and just shook up the series by changing gameplay stuff?

I'm not really seeing how that answers my question at all but w/e

Broadening representation is pointless so let's not ever bother I guess.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

There's thousands of on-point and informative LPs out there. Why would you look for that here. I don't get it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Since there's not a general RunButton thread I just wanted to say congratulations to Keith for his masterful no damage/no slam/no slide 100% secrets Crash Bandicoot 2 speedrun.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Watching you guys be awful at YI is worse than watching you be awful at any other game and I don't know why. Tongue up! Hover! Shoot eggs at things! Try things!

This is one of the best platformers of all time and it's generally super intuitive and there's help boxes scattered everywhere and it hurts to watch but of course I'm going to keep on watching and yelling at my screen regardless.

Keep it up!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The game is insanely cool and a lot of fun if you have one ounce of desire to explore in your body, but the baby crying is also super annoying and it would be okay if it wasn't in there.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Major_JF posted:

It came up earlier (or was it in another thread?) that some the play tester would lose mario and then just keep going. Until they added the audio cue some of the play tester had no idea why they were dieing.

You'd think Kyle would be better at the game after all the playtesting he did, then.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Seven Stars was the best Mario RPG by far and all of the others are garbage in comparison.

One day... One day, we'll get a sequel.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sum Mors posted:

Depends on what you mean by "doing well". He did do a good job at getting through levels, but when you watch you can clearly see that 1. They aren't paying attention and 2. They aren't giving a poo poo about collecting things. I tried watching the actual video and you get frustrated at them not picking up things in plain sight, or not trying to get to the side areas. Watching them win the level, though, beats out watching 20 minutes of the same level because they aren't paying attention to the obvious puzzle solutions.

They long since went over why they're not bothering with collectibles, though (because they have so many loving games to play, they can't afford to spend ten years on one)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Counterpoint: Mario Sunshine is a colossal slog with a small handful of bright spots and killed my desire to finish my own Mario marathon

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zeikier posted:

I look forward to a different main Mario game, but I don't think I can handle listening to the "Falco got dealt a critical hit in Melee" sound that plays every time a box is opened in Mario 64. I dunno what it is with popular franchise titles and having unpleasantly repetitive music/sound effects.

How often do you open boxes in Mario 64? :confused:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lol what the gently caress even is this post

SorataYuy posted:

Never I said I don't like Maxwell. However - Master Quest Fire Temple. Puzzle that would have been solved in less than three seconds had he just pressed the loving "Navi, let me home in on this" button instead of trying to use Sierra game "logic" on it.

*drops mic, walks away as stage loving explodes*

SorataYuy posted:

*blink blink* Early? 5 years ('94 release) into the system's life span counts as "early"?

SorataYuy posted:

That would be Quintessons, and they would be five-faced, thank you. *adjusts glasses*

SorataYuy posted:

Congratulations, you have an incorrect opinion. Also possibly a forum deathwish. *edges away from the person dumb enough to criticize a mod in the mod's own playground*

SorataYuy posted:

Whatever happens, Kyle and Keith will at least never, ever, sink as low as Maxwell Adams and his stupid, pointless refusal to use the provided, in-game system (targeting, in this instance), and end up absolutely dead-stopped for progress for a solid ten-plus minutes. For this, I salute you both - you at least are bothering to learn (and in a game that is just plain not your cup of tea), and to try to use all resources provided. That's the mark of a good gamer.

Please lurk more.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

They're incredibly frustrating to watch and I yell at the screen all the time but that's really just part of the charm at this point. If you don't like to see them gently caress around and be terrible at games while making conversation, why are you still watching?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lemur Crisis posted:

While I do think that this LP made Yoshi's Island look like more of a slog than it is (and I should clarify here that I totally get that Kyle and Keith are smart people, and I think them missing things in videos is more due to the whole doing commentary and having a conversation at the same time thing, which is totally legit), I have to agree after watching it that the levels are sometimes a little long and/or have too few checkpoints. Oh well; at least it was more fun to watch than it was for them to play!

was it

I'm excited to see y'all move on at long last. Mario 64 should be more fun for you guys

... right? ...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I just want to say that your tries at King Kai's voice easily made up for all of Yoshi's Island

Definitely watch more Dragonball Z in the future

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Super Mario RPG is insanely good, actually. The graphics are super-dated but so are a lot of games from 1996.

I can't believe people wanted them to go through all of it, though, that's ridiculous; that'd be so boring to watch and take forever. The quicker they get to Mario 64, the better, really.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

They should move on and play games they're going to have fun with, imo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

How Are You Today was stellar, Keith, keep it up

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's so great to watch you guys play a game you're good at and actually enjoy playing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

JFairfax posted:

Let's not get carried away...

Compared to half the other games they play? It's a pretty massive improvement.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mario 64 is by no means a flawless game but goddamn if it doesn't still hold up super well; way moreso than its contemporaries.

Also it's vastly better than Banjo-Kazooie.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Carousel Of Regret posted:

Ask me anything about Runbutton catchphrases

What is your favorite runbutton catchphrase

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I just played through this game again (for like the sixth time) last year and it still holds up as one of my favorite platformers ever. Game still owns.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kyle was right and it was fine

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dickey Butts posted:

I mean it doesn't matter or w/e, but if she was interested in kyle, she wouldn't have approached his cousin. The idea of "you wanna talk to one half of run button, how about the other half?" is just kinda Lame.

Except it wasn't even that much; Kyle didn't say he wanted to talk to her, just to know if it would be okay if he looked at her profile, which imo is totally fine and not super weird at all

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Getting the wing cap in shifting sand land is actually extremely easy if, instead of wheeling the camera around and struggling to triple jump like a complete ignoramus, you just do a single turnaround jump

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Now that they hit the big-time they forgot all about little old somethingawful and it's weird endless slap fights about Yoshi's Island? (gently caress Yoshi's Island I hate it and hope it burns in hell)

Yoshi's Island is cool and good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sum Mors posted:

I don't know if i can finish the video. How is it possible for two adults to not beat the first level of a Dr. Mario game.

I had this exact thought and then I went it and tried it myself and it was WAY harder than I thought it would be, and that's without having to carry on a conversation during

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

there's nothing more run button than kyle forcibly nearly killing himself seconds after getting control for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I yell at the screen a lot but that's part of the Run Button experience and you guys should definitely keep doing what you're doing because it super works

where's that game of the year podcast though!!!

• Locked thread