Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just realized that it's easy to give Sega poo poo for putting Green Hill Zone in every Sonic game, but Nintendo has reused the poo poo out of word 1-1. That exact level layout appears again and again throughout Mario games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Keith should play more because he plays like a normal person who hasn't played Mario and Sonic games from start to finish a jillion times.

also I'm worse than he is at these games...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So when is Keith's avatar getting changed to Luigi?

Probably whenever Kyle's is changed to Mario.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why would you ever want to use the d-pad and the analog stick at the same time? You've only got one thumb on your left hand!

Controllers seem to have hit the limit of their complexity back during the last generation of consoles, I mean look at them.

They all have the same basic layout, the primary joystick is on the left next to an auxiliary d-pad. The four main buttons are in a cluster on the right. Only one console dared to leave out the secondary joystick and it got kicked out of the console war. They also all have shoulder buttons in various configurations. It's pretty easy to see why Nintendo decided to shake everything up with the Wii, even if you don't particularly care for the wiimote. Sony also got no end of poo poo for its new controller design, and all they tried to do was change the shape of it and mess with the ergonomics a little.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mario and Luigi would have bagels for breakfast because they're actually from Brooklyn. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Tuna on bagels isn't that weird. You ever try Lox? That poo poo is legitimately delicious. Get it next time you're somewhere with a big Jewish population because gently caress finding good lox anywhere else.
Also I hated this game, I think I was the only one of my friends to dislike it, though.
peach is the best character in this game

It kinda is, because Tuna comes in cans of chunks rather than slices, so if you try eating tuna in a bagel it'll fall right out the middle. There's no structural integrity to the meal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's okay if you can't finish SMB2. You can just finish a later version that has saves when you get to it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did somebody mention Super Mario Land music?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really understand the point of making Tetris harder, since it's already a game that you will inevitably lose.

This is one is probably the worst because as long as you keep playing, you can't really lose.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This was the very first console game I ever played. I never could beat that sphynx as a kid, but it was still great for car trips.

Your Computer posted:

"What if Super Mario Land had lyrics"? It totally did :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZR74NdyM0A

(Can't remember if this has been posted already, but this game and that song is my childhood)

An even better version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKXzde54HVY

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, if it has a shell, it's just another turtle monster beast.

Maybe it's just all the Kaizo lps floating around youtube, but Super Mario World just doesn't look as fun to me as most of the other Mario games. I look at it and it just seems kinda bleh, I dunno.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you're a kid writing a paper in school, sometimes you get desperate for ways to pad out space.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Keep it up Kieth, and maybe you'll get into Amazon Vine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJBTMrdtro

There's the magic schoolbus game you're talking about probably. These things were the bulk of my childhood. Between the games, the books, and the show, I absorbed SO MANY dumb little factoids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I dunno. Nobody has ever done good second person writing because second person writing is awful, I wouldn't expect it to work here either. I was just saying that it IS written like that for a reason. :shrug:

Choose your own adventure books are kind of second person.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

President Ark posted:

It's not a joke, how dare you sully the good name of the GYCL. :colbert:

yeah it is, it started with that video posted above of the really overdramatic commentary and it was them making fun of super-overdramatic esports players and commentators, although it's kind of taken on a life of its own - during the portion of the AGDQ bonus stream where it was played I think it got more donations than any other game during the bonus stream

it helps that medibot's really good at making up outrageous nonsense and saying it with a straight face

There is no giant ironic joke that won't steadily lose its irony and become serious if given enough time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where-io

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You guys are jerks for dragging that kid away from his trains for some horrible edutainment.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TomBosleyExp posted:

of course it doesn't loving work

what walking around in the grass barefoot will get you, however, is hookworms.

Hookworms hang out in puddles, don't they? Seems unlikely that just going through grass would expose yourself to then.

Of course, there's still fire ants and burrs. Little fuckers are all over the place where I live.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Libertarianism is about I got mine, not they got theirs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's nothing wrong with asking for money for producing stuff, especially if it gets expensive after a while. It's not even like they're refusing to keep doing what they're doing unless everybody pays.

Maybe if they get enough money, they can build a fort out of Sega Genesises.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is this going to turn into some Tommy Westphall thing where every game that has a cameo that leads back to Mario gets included in the LP? Like after Smash Bros you'll have to start working your way through Metroid and Earthbound?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I lost all respect for the idea of spoilers ruining everything after Bioshock Infinite and its ending that is both awful and impossible to talk about without spoilers. If the story is really good, then it'll hold up even after you know some of the details beforehand. Empire Strikes Back is fine if you know Vader is Luke's father and Fight Club is still a great movie if you know that Bruce Willis is a ghost.

Although with Game of Thrones, there's not much left to the narrative once you know who dies and who has sex.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ah jeez. Is this one of those 50 Shades of Gray things, where weird creepy stuff for incredibly niche markets has become ludicrously popular with mainstream audiences out of nowhere?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I died at the slipper review.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Your FoodBoyz videos are strangely engrossing.

Your Computer posted:

So since it's totally cool to talk about it, did you know that LA Beast (pretty e-famous dude who eats stuff you shouldn't eat) did the same thing the day after? He made a lot bigger fuss about it than you too :allears: (granted he did actually.. eat the entire thing) Link for those too lazy to google.

Oh god, you stupid jerk. Stop ruining good food and hurting yourself!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It sounds like you might've been better off trying to get a physical CDI to work with.

And then you could hack it to pieces with an axe after you're finished with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey Keith, you know how with old analog ball mouses, you occasionally had to scrape some gunk off of the wheels that detect the ball's movement?

I think you should try doing that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yoshi's Island is really more like a Kirby game. It's okay, maybe only challenging when you're going for 100% completion, but really it relies mainly on charm to get by.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's quiet until it gets hit, at which point it starts making really annoying noise for a while.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never had any major problems with a controller, but I'd rather controllers not be all the same like they have been for a while (aside from the Wii).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had no idea that it was possible that people would care this much about Yoshi's Island.

The game is cute, the baby is annoying, and I guess it has more levels than the last Mario game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never played Picross, but I have played Descartes Enigma! :v:

I can't believe this Everett Kaser guy is still around.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fun fact: That was the easiest boss fight in the game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Attack of the Clones had a lot of really neat ideas, they just were all horribly executed. The political intrigue was somehow both boring and incredibly rushed, ad Dooku had the most confusing characterization. It's still the movie I liked most as a kid though, despite the fact that I think now that Revenge of the Sith was theatrically superior.

Podracing was the worst though. Hey, what if the trench run of A New Hope was 5 times as long, and had no dialogue and lower stakes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was killing me to see Kyle keep going around in circles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure that Super Paper Mario counts as an RPG even.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The puzzles in this game aren't even that hard, Kyle's brain just seems to be working in the exact wrong way to solve them, so he just goes around in circles for 15 minutes like he has no object permanence.

I won't say this game is some kind of overlooked gem, but it's way better than Sonic 06.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't remember Billy Hatcher that well; I think it was trying really hard to have charm, but was just really mediocre. I think it played like a combination of Kirby's Air Ride and Glover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah but the whole selling point of Run Button is that they're flailing around and being goofy. There's already pro-lps of Yoshi's Island out there.

This game tends to be a lot more obtuse than most too.

• Locked thread