Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Choco1980 posted:

During the early days of G4, years before King of Kong, they'd run this little piece during commercial breaks where they'd do a little spotlight on Billy Mitchell regarding his attaining the world record score for Pac-Man not too long before that. It was like a little 3 minute thing where they showed him playing while he talked about the game and how in the higher levels it gets weird, with invisible walls and far more obvious AI behaviors in the ghosts and what not, until eventually you hit the kill-screen. He comes off as exactly as much of douchey tool in that, and G4 was trying to make him out to be a video game hero at the time.

Also, yeah Mario not only has a mustache so you can see where his mouth is in DK's primitive graphics, but he wears overalls you you can easily tell that he has arms separate from his torso.

Sorry I keep posting so much in the thread, I just know way too much early video game/nintendo trivia. It's funny, even if I were a paid up member back during the Sonic thread (which I followed religiously) I wouldn't have had too much input besides "yup, I played all the Genesis Hedgehogs". But here, I bet I could list upwards of 40 games Mario was in BEFORE the SNES era off the top of my head alone. I can name more versions of Super Mario Bros than wikipedia. The worst part: I have no use for this knowledge. I guess between that and participating in the Mariothon over in the main Games subforum has me a little bit too excited for this thread, and again, I apologize.

no need to apologize. What you're doing is literally what this thread is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

NeoAnjou posted:

Someone ought to do a great genealogical diagram of which Mario games are considered to be direct sequels / in the same series to others. I thinking something like the Discworld Reading order:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg
Man those reading orders really helped me out in book stores. I love the poo poo out of those stories.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Guys, I just want to clear up that if you think we're not going to play the game you REALLY REALLY want us to play, we totally are. The list of games we have is loving disgusting.

pkollar posted:

I will HAPPILY fill this role. gently caress a Super Mario Sunshine. :colbert:

Also, Kyle, man up and play Super Mario Bros. 2. U.S. to completion, you wimp. It's EASY.
I've actually got a pretty good amount of experience with SMB2 so maybe? It's pretty long, though, and being familiar with it doesn't mean being good at it. So probably not.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, but there's a couple stinkers in the early days, at least comparatively. Moving Pictures, Sourcery, everything after the assassin test in Pyramids...
You're crazy, Sourcery was good

NeoAnjou posted:

I think the intention is that lots of people accidentally hit the series mid-flow. I've met a number of people whose first Discworld novel was Small Gods which as has been mentioned, is quite unlike many of the others. It's useful to be able to say to someone 'Oh - you enjoyed XXX, maybe try YYY it's a sequel / it's not a direct sequel but follows a lot of the same themes', or 'Oh - you read ZZZ, try reading AAA instead - it's more like a classical fantasy/hard-boiled detective/historical novel'.
Most people I know started with Mort, which I think is an alright place to being. The only person I know to have started at anything other than Colour of Magic or Mort started at Guards

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

19LettersLong posted:

Hey I'm glad you guys are excited about Mario, but please try to take it easy on the "play this game," "where is this game," "don't forget this game" stuff. Don't worry. I got this.

wait but are you guys going to play Mario paint? Serious question.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
This was the third time we played Wrecking Crew and the first time I've enjoyed it. Love those wrench dragons.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Seeing people say I hate this game so I just want to note that I don't hate this game, I just 'don't much care for it'. Way different. From that, you could even say I do care for it in some amount.

kalonZombie posted:

I assure you any tuber related shapes are entirely coincidental.
Worry not, SA's version of weird internet classism is lost on me!

death .cab for qt posted:

I like listening to you guys talk and all but two and a half minutes to actually hit "press start" on the screen that says "press start" is a bit much.
Is it?

johnboy3434 posted:

The All-Stars remakes deserve accolades independent of the source games, if you ask me. There have been a lot of "enhanced" rereleases of games over the years, with bells and whistles galore added to games that may or may not actually benefit from them. But as far as REMAKE remakes go, as in a game being relatively unchanged from its source material outside of a "next-gen" graphical overhaul, I consider the four games from SMAS to be the gold standard. They almost perfectly replicated the feeling of the original NES entries, while bringing the visuals up to (then) modern standards.
Taking the liberty of speaking for Kyle, we did not know this, and now that we do we have gone insane.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 8, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

johnboy3434 posted:

Uhh... I hate to ask, but could you elaborate on what you mean? I can't quite gauge your reaction through the text as is.
I seriously didn't know that titty/yakuza thing and it so challenges my 'idea' of Nintendo that I have lost my mind.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

kalonZombie posted:

It depends on the Gamestop. The local one in my town tends to have people who are knowledgeable about games and will genuinely steer you clear of games they think are garbage, even if it means losing a sale. Other Gamestops I've been to hire at least one girl with huge tits who doesn't know jack poo poo about video games in an attempt to get nerds to buy subscriptions to their garbage magazine. It's honestly a crapshoot.
I've found that the guys are just as likely, if not more likely, to be total idiots than the girls

johnboy3434 posted:

Having watched your entire Sonic marathon as well as your two Silent Hill LPs, I'm starting to wonder if this is your hardwired default response to every declarative statement. :cheeky:
... Is it?

it is :(

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never drank a lick of beer in my 24 years of being alive but if the Mario 2 video starts with "HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS DOKI DOKI PANIC IN JAPAN" I may consider starting
are you mad about a video we haven't even recorded yet? New record!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
You guys don't have to complain about how bad I am at Mario when I start off by saying "I don't like Mario and I'm bad at it, look how bad I am". :colbert:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

CongoJack posted:

Whatever we all know it's Keith's fault that there aren't any videos.
Its my fault. I have a job again so I've got to rebalance my poo poo and figure out what works best in terms of recording time. There'll be some Mario next week

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Tunicate posted:

What about nutella? Or is that like bringing a nuke to a gun argument?

more like bringing an apple to an orange argument. That being said, i almost never put nutella on anything. I'm much more likely to grab a jam.

Melinoe posted:

Kyle how do you not like breakfast food? :psyduck: that's such a broad category of food to proclaim dislike for.
I know, its insane.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Rocketlex posted:

Generally breakfast food isn't that filling. I can understand not wanting breakfast when you're hungry for dinner.
Breakfast food is insanely filling. Its all starches and fats. I dare you to eat some corned beef hash, a couple eggs, toast and sone bacon and not be stuffed to the gills.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Obviously you guys don't have friends that steal your phone to gently caress with your other friends/possibly ruin your relationships.
Dude, drop those friends immediately. That's a serious issue.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it would be nice to see the later levels and the warp zones.
we already beat the game, no warp zones.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wouldn't say that, Keith totally has anger problems and gets frustrated super fast. Arino seems surprisingly level headed and playful about his constant gently caress ups. Also Arino doesn't go off on twitter tangents or whatever :v:

:3:
???
I don't have anger problems, and if I did you'd never know, I hardly ever play the games. That was weird to say.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Seer235 posted:

Don't worry it's already been made.

I'm also going to take smug satisfaction in mario losing the poll by a large margin.
can I be the Greg Proops half?

Power of Pecota posted:

Which one of you two is voiced by Greg Proops?

Its me, it has to be me!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

quakster posted:

I wish people read the entire conversation before replying so they didn't end up posting redundant nonsense.
He was just responding to something we discussed in the episode. Maybe dont take Mario 2 stat debates so seriously: either its all nonsense or none of it is.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's amazing to me how many words K&K spent discussing the etymology of errand vs. errant, largely to defend Keith being totally wrong.
You dont think I looked all this stuff up myself when we were done? Rest assured, I did. I almost brought it up in our next session but totally forgot :/

but yeah, I was way wrong. poo poo happens. It could be worse, I could be wrong all the time instead of just this once :colbert:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

T.G. Xarbala posted:

(Kyle and Keith never watch other LPs, which is a shame because, say, Chip Cheezum's stuff is consistently entertaining.)

I love Chip on YTR, but I have no idea who he actually is. I'd like to hear a podcast or something but, goddamn, I don't think I could watch an LP. (I dont want you guys to think I hate the format you like, I feel the same way about video podcasts. Adding video just makes it so inconvenient for me)

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
By the way, we're definitely trying to record more often. We just can't really find a groove that works for us yet. But I'm trying to put some money into new recording equipment so we can do streams and digimon more regularly, leaving more free time for Mario when I'm at Kyle's house. Also, Kyle needs to step his edit game up. IM WATCHING YOU.

Jack Gladney posted:

They had recorded it all before they started, or at least had a huge lead of already-recorded material.
We just had more free time. We recorded every week's content that week.

RentCavalier posted:

That's Keithist.
It's a hard life.

19LettersLong posted:

PS I'm putting $5000 on over.
I'm pretty sure the return on that would be about $5001

Supersonic Buddha posted:

I always figured that the blackness at the end of the level was like you're exiting "stage left" since Mario 3 has all that theatrical aesthetics at the beginning.
Yeah, that sounds right.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Petr posted:

Keith worst K.
He's right

Law posted:

Keith: Literally worse than the KKK.
That's not a K, that's a series of Ks

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Chakan posted:

Not to detract from this LP, but there's a thing called Mario Marathon that starts on Friday. It's a bunch of people who play Mario games to raise money for charity. It starts Friday 11:00 Eastern, and is usually pretty good.

If K or K don't like this, I can remove it, but I figured it was a good idea to link it.
Of course we like it!
I think Kyle and I are firmly in the pro charity marathon column.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

runbuttonpodcast.com

Sounds like Kyle's got to ramp up the branding efforts.
We usually post out podcasts to youtube, I don't know why he didn't.

Also, in addition to being, i guess, busier than he has been (unconfirmed) there are also some serious issues with the next few episodes, edit-wise. So basically a poo poo storm of oops-we-can't-put-out-videos.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
At Kyle's request I took the podcast audio and threw it up on YouTube, so you can find it there, now.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Justin_Brett posted:

Kyle, Keith, did your opinions about the Xbox One change at all in the last month? That stuff you said about it in the new podcast seemed kind of knee-jerk.
I'm not necessarily sold on either system yet, so I'm kind of bummed out that microsoft went back on all their poo poo. They repealed the things people were hating, but also took away some things I was excited about. From the perspective of someone who wasn't committed to the system, I'd rather they kept everything the way it was. XB1 DRM changes are similar to the ME3 changes. Is technically an improvement? Yes. It is entirely less interesting? Definitely.

The T posted:

What sorts of problems? The Tech Support Fort can help with a lot of weird stuff.

I'm not sure of the specific problem this time, but usually what happens is that the audio runs faster/slower than the video so Kyle has to go in and resync everything bit by bit. Not difficult, but time consuming. It could be something totally different this time, though.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Mico posted:

Not if you're capture card is dumb as hell like mine is and desyncs at an inconsistent rate.

That's exactly the problem we occasionally have.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

JFairfax posted:

Coupling is a big pile of shite!

You need to get Spaced in your lives, that is a far superior British TV show.

You can thank me later gentlemen.
We both already like Spaced. What are we, idiots?

Shadow225 posted:

I think my favorite line of the latest video is the following:

Keith: "I think she has almost not met any of my friends."
Kyle: "...your WHAT?"

Also, where do you guys stream? If you have a twitch I would totally tune in to that.

I use twitch.tv/somethindumb when I'm by myself and kyle/the two of us together use twith.tv/runbutton

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
A lot of the dogs at pounds in a city like boston were taken from homes or found on the street. Obviously Pitt Bulls aren't inherently more aggressive (like I said in the video) but they are poster dogs for animal fighting and learned aggressive behavior. I don't think it's unreasonable to be more cautious about a rescued Pitt Bull named Diesel than a chocolate lab named Teddy whose owners gave him up when they moved.

By the way the MSPCA Animal Care and Adoption Center in Jamaica Plain, Boston is one of the cleanest, most well kept adoption centers I've ever seen and if you're in the area and want to adopt or just want to play with some kittens or whatever I totally recommend it.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 23, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

KKKLIP ART posted:

You need a hypoallergenic dog like a Poodle or one of the few breeds that has hair instead of fur.

Hypoallergenism is basically a myth. There's no evidence to support that any dog is less likely to trigger an allergic reaction than any other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic#Hypoallergenic_pets

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pneub posted:

You're trying to say a conversation's boring with a loving Dilbert comic?!
Exactly. You know what's less interesting than hearing about someone else's dreams? Dilbert.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

So what you're saying is we should all stop posting.
Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't read every single thing on here, even the super whiny ones :smuggo:

ChairMaster posted:

Making a video and talking to someone at the same time as playing a game is never really very easy. I don't imagine Kyle is great at video games in general but he's probably not as bad as he seems.

Usually, at least.
Kyle is good at video games. Better than most, for sure.

lurkdawg posted:

He sucks at video games. Sometimes I watch and I wonder how the hell he ever learned to pick up a controller. Listen bro the A button jumps, B runs not that hard. Also try to avoid things, wow really hard. I was a young 7 yr old with no skills to get a boner but I still had the skills to beat mario 3 bowser in the first try.

Wow, awesome! Let's hang out!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I don't know who Lurkdawg is but I can't imagine anything he and Kyle would do being watchable or entertaining at all.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Melinoe posted:

Keith was playing up until that point, and then Kyle took over and proceeded to lose all of the lives.

Just want to highlight this.

FinalGamer posted:

Wait Kyle, did you ACTUALLY take apart a SNES controller and put together the best pieces of every other not-working SNES controller?! What are you, Frankenstein of controllers!?

That is pretty cool if you did that though.
He cannibalized 4 to make 1

Petr posted:

The ball can come off at either the reflective angle or the same angle it approached at, depending on which side of the paddle it hit. In order to change the angle in increments other than those, you have to move the paddle as the ball hits, and the ball will inherit some of the paddle's momentum. Which is actually far more realistic than Arkenoid's model, which changes the angle depending on where it hits the paddle, which makes no sense because the angle of incidence is the same across most of the paddle.

In other words, Keith is bad and wrong again.
Other games are way better at having the ball inherit the paddles momentum. And having a ball bounce back in the same direction it comes in is in no way realistic. Its silly. And bad.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Ometeotl posted:

So, you guys spend 5 minutes making fun of an Asian woman because her face "looks funny", but it's the discussion of racial issues in Tyler Perry movies that makes you uncomfortable? Okay...

I know that race is a very sensitive issue and maybe in some ways it doesnt matter that we weren't actually being racist, but I'd call this reductive. A person can be weird looking and have it not be because of their race.

frankenfreak posted:

I'm more turned off by the bitching about how this game is not "proper Mario". They even noted at some point that the "Mario formula" was far from tied down when SML was published, yet go on with how it feels off.
I love this game, that's only Kyle. And he was admitting that his criticisms weren't unbiased when he said that. I think it's unfair to use that as ammunition against his opinions.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 21, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
All these people giving a poo poo about Dr Mario to the point of anger is nuts. Maybe you're all confusing how much you played is as a kid with how much you liked it.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, there seems to be a pattern here where Kyle just shits over any game that he's bad at, and here it even extends to the music (which is awesome).
There are plenty of games Kyle isn't very good at that he likes a lot. You've got to look at both sides.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

My parents paid a nickel for the Asteroids back in nineteen dickety two.

FinalGamer posted:

We had to say "dickety" cuz the commies stole our number "twenny" :bahgawd:

You guys are both getting raises. Well done.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
When kyle first suggested this to me, And voiced his concern for the numbering, I just told him to do it the new way but don't number the side games. He did that was dumb but I think its a good idea still.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you may have a rogue auto-correct function there.
Looks that way. I was also in a car.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Seshoho Cian posted:

It ended up being more of a britpop band. Oh well.
That's awesome. I should try to work on something soon :/

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I this it USUALLY means this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

Unless you were specifically talking about videogames.

vvv Thought you were denying that there was a music-related definition.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
The thing you all said we didn't notice I think we both totally noticed. At some point, I went like several full minutes without recieving a single shell top so I just resigned myself to clearing the screen the old fashioned way.

• Locked thread