Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yes, that's a faithful recreation of End of Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rebuild is finally ending and short of doing a Rebuild-style remake but in the form of a TV show, they need something to keep Eva on the market. The timing of this might also explain why Funimation hasn't picked up the license for the TV series, yet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I mostly meant "on the market" in the sense of there being a new (or at least remade) major thing. I am aware of the tie-ins and merchandise, but aside from Rebuild there hasn't exactly been anything new Eva-related in theaters or on TV. Maybe if one of the spin-offs like the Raising Project manga got a TV show there would be that, but there hasn't been new TV since the 90s, and aside from remastering the original show I don't know what they will do to get something that high profile out now Rebuild is winding down.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: A drama of people. Shinji learns true fear and hopelessness.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Midjack posted:

Since Robin Williams as Gendo won't happen now, we'll have to settle for Kevin Spacey.

There's always Robert Downey Jr.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avocados posted:

I need to go outside. It feels weird being inside.

Congratulations!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hey at least you're not Aoba. Dude had the worst instrumentality experience possible. Just screaming hysterically under his desk. I guess the implication being he didn't have anyone he loved or maybe his fetish was being terrified and humiliated by multiple Rei clones and he actually did get his dream come true. :downs:
pretty much had to be a goon.

If I remember correctly, this was supposed to be symbolic of Aoba being a nihilist (well, nihilist might be a poor translation or something) and not having anyone to connect with. Or at least, that's what Anno said :v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Right Stuf lists 3.33 as "Note: This item's release has been delayed to accommodate the theatrical run of the film.".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So what exactly is this supposed to be? What am I looking at? Why does it have human teeth?

Probably vagina dentata.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JazzFlight posted:

Regular Show did a parody of the Eva opening yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OC-RAm7Qs

Speaking of Cartoon Network shows and Eva...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIzpaurSGM

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The feeling I got while watching 3.0 was that it seems to have been made with the intention that you watch it tandem with 4.0, there's just no trying to take it on it's own in comparison to the first two Rebuilds. The whole thing comes off as a mess in its own right but might end up really great when paired with 4.0

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Leroy Dennui posted:

Latest romhacking.net translation: "Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2"

This truly is the year of Evangelion.

And yet the Shinji Ikari Raising Project gets nothing :argh:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the SIP manga is longer than the actual NGE manga and I don't think it's ending any time soon. That's pretty impressive.

As for the video game, wasn't there a Rei variant? I think I saw it on EvaGeeks. Granted, that might very old by this point.

I meant the video game, yeah. The game itself is pretty old by now (it came out in 2004) and the most it ever got toward a translation was an FAQ on EvaGeeks. It was discovered eventually that the game can be hooked up to a program that can dump all of the text that gets displayed on screen to a log as you play it, which can be run through machine translation to at least give you a rough idea of what you're doing, but it's not the same thing as an actual translation.

Also yeah the Rei variant (with additional Asuka variant) for the Nintendo DS got a fan translation a little while ago.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I watched some of that show about the killer robot who turns into a maid for the kid of her creator and there were so many glaring parallels to evangelion that it was just amazing.

What show is that?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Evangelion done in the style of Twin Peaks would own, though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hey so there's this old rear end Eva parody video I'm trying to find

it was contemporary with, like, AMV Hell and poo poo and kind of in that vein, not like an abridged series, and I remember it being passed around a lot/constantly mentioned on EvaGeeks back in the day. I don't really remember much about it past that because I pretty much completely forgot this existed until a tiny bundle of synapses reconnected and I remembered it was a thing. does anyone know what the hell I might be thinking of?

ReDeath?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I remember watching that a long time ago and boy some parts of it had not aged well at all.

It's Gendo on the other hand... :cool:

ReDeath is timeless :v:

Also, it was re-released a few years ago as ReDeath ReDux, which I think has a few more minutes of additional stuff in it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Should have handed the EoE dubbing over to the ReDeath guys.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DC Murderverse posted:

justin roiland should record this in character as Morty.

actually poo poo, i want a redub with Morty-voice for Shinji and Rick-voice for Gendo.

and gently caress it, summer as Asuka, and Morty's parents as Misato and... jerry should probably be Rei huh?

Council of Ricks as SEELE.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Pence unable to go anywhere without his... wife? mom? One or the other.

The perfect candidate to pilot Unit-04 :v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

And a card-based RPG at that. Evageeks has some scans from the book itself, though not all of them.

Sadly it was never fan-translated, but anyone that really wants to play an Evangelion tabletop RPG could probably make a decent system using GURPS as the base.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can make just about anything out of GURPS but I don't know that I'd call the results "decent." :v:

It would be way better than the time I tried to do an Evangelion campaign using a modified version of the setting and mechanics of 4th Edition Shadowrun. My group and I didn't take it very seriously but drat if it wasn't some hacked-together weird bullshit.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The entire film makes a lot more sense if you view the setting and everyone in it as the kind of hell/punishment that Shinji would design for himself after being absorbed into Unit-01 following an averted Third Impact.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Let's assume 4.0 never happens. Anno gets hit by a bus tomorrow and then the studio goes bankrupt. How would you guys rate the rebuilds overall, as a trilogy? There's lots of talk about "I'm waiting to see how it ends" but what if we just treat 3.0 as the end?

I would rate the first two films pretty highly, though I'm not sure I can rate one over the other. The Ramiel fight was loving beautiful and the last ten minutes of the second movie was a bold and surprising way to end the film. The third film was a huge disappointment and feels like it's supposed to be the first half of a film instead of a film in its own right.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zeruel posted:

ReDeath is the only valid Eva fanfic.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Fixed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Teenage Fansub posted:

About to watch 3.33 for the first time.

You poor fool.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

actually pen pen was only neutral at worst, so shinji had one decent family member

How appropriate then that Pen Pen is gone in 3.33 :smith:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

probably turned him human

imagine having to deal with that bullshit after a lifetime of living as a bird without a care in the world

The true Failure of Infinity

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oh god, Penghiel :(

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rebuild 3.0+1.0 is looking pretty good

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

redsniper posted:

Also how the hell was Unit 01 getting lowered down central dogma after Kaworu? Is there an elevator or harness or something that just isn't shown very well?

It jumped down, which means that Kaworu was falling/flying at the speed of an Evangelion going terminal velocity.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sakurazuka posted:

Death & Rebirth of the author

New thread subtitle right here

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I eagerly await Anno's Gundam movie that will push 4.0 back to 2030

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

SMG is actually talking about Evangelion in CD right now.

Neon Genesis Evangelion megathread: the protagonist gets a boner and a penguin screams at the boner, humiliating him.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Is there literally a single instance of a half-way conventional gun (not including nukes or sniper rifles hooked up to literally every power plant in japan) doing literally anything to an Angel in the entire series?

Matarael got completely dunked on by the incredibly-average Eva-sized assault rifle

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FilthyImp posted:

You made it through Jizzhand shinjizz but boob was 2 much?

That could have been any white liquid

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

Yomiuri reports that these events are suspected to have occurred earlier this year in February at a Tokyo apartment. At that time, Maki was involved in developing voice talent. According to Sankei News, Maki’s own apartment was dubbed “Production Women’s Dormitory” (Purodakushon Jyoshiryou or プロダクション女子寮). Kyodo News adds that the voice actors were allegedly contractually obligated to live at Maki’s apartment.

:stare:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Well, so much for Rebuild 4.

Did Anno die of covid?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Schwarzwald posted:

I vaguely remember ANIMA being a thing, like, a decade plus years ago. What exactly was that all about?

The EvaWiki has a chapter by chapter summary of ANIMA though not all of them have been translated. The main article itself has this

quote:

This story, in which the Human Instrumentality Project from episodes 25 and 26 of the anime production "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is never set in motion, is a work portraying a world where Shinji Ikari and the others greet an alternate future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FilthyImp posted:

Can you imagine the sheer rage if Netflix was like "We're paying Anno/Trigger/ProdIG to make more Evangelion!!!*

*"More" as in lovely Netflix CGI a-la-Saint Seiya

ANIMA will finally get its time in the spotlight