Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed the 3rd movie, and I think it's a little unfair to hate on Shinji. As far as the civilians on Wunder are concerned, I see nothing wrong with them hating Shinji. The world has perfect justification to hate Shinji Ikari. They didn't know his circumstances, they never needed to. All they need to know is that the current world is his doing. As for NERV, this is a completely different story. Jesus Christ they should all be dragged out back and shot. At no point in this movie do they tell Shinji a drat thing. Saying "ignorance is no excuse" is bullshit, since APPARENTLY a lot of things have changed. TELL Shinji that NERV is now up to no good. TELL Shinji that Gendo is going to try to get him to do something bad. TELL Shinji anything relevant about the upcoming events. Instead you yank him out of a robot, put a bomb collar on him and poo poo all over him. Call Shinji a child, but when the only thing that makes sense is how your father treats you, what the gently caress else are you supposed to do?

This movie was just a ridiculously elaborate setup for the big finale. I still had fun with it, but up until the last ten minutes I spent the entirety of the movie just feeling horrible for Shinji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have to play it super fast and loose with the details to make it work, but I envision Shinji in these movies to be Anno's self insert in regards to the anime industry. There's reluctant embracing of the industry and slowly improving skillset in the 1st movie, a ridiculous new high and subsequent burnout (Eva &EoE) in the 2nd, and 14 years later he returns to the industry and everything's gone completely retarded in the 3rd.

I realize this is utter poppycock, but it's an amusing thought the more I think about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think any confrontation between Shinji and Gendo should end with Shinji sparing Gendo's life and just walking away from it all. Considering how close he's come to becoming like his father, I find it would be fun to see that story end with Shinji abandoning his father instead.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I realized today that within a year we'll hear an announcement for the 4th movie, then within another year (or two) it'll be released in Japan, then within another year it'll be released on Blu-Ray and subbed, and within another year (or two) it'll make its way stateside.

Sigh...:smithicide:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MadRhetoric posted:

As a treatise on depression and alienation, it works. As a complete 180 to what Eva's been while still being kinda Eva-y, it works. As an extension of episodes 22-24 (with heavier focus on Kaworu) it works. As the sequel to 2.0 and everything it (seemed to) stand for, it's off the loving reservation.

You know, I think this is the best way to put it. I'm not willing to get too deep into the arguments, but I still maintain that the 3rd film was just a lazy setup for the 4th movie. Answers very little, puts on a little spectacle to entertain you, and creates more ridiculous questions in the process.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh, I would have been far more okay with the tonal shift if it didn't rely on characters deliberately hiding information from Shinji. I got that a ton of people were upset with him, and hey I can't get why that is. Whether or not he knew what he was doing, Shinji caused a pretty bad thing to happen. There's bound to be resentment. However, the characters in 3.0 don't ever really seem to take into consideration or even care what Shinji thinks. Everything that happens in the movie is completely unnecessary, and it just kinda felt like a cheap/lazy way to up the stakes for the next film.

It is certainly the most Evangelion-esque Rebuild film so far, that I will agree. However, what I got from 3.0 was that nobody really knew how to follow the 2nd film. I may very well be completely wrong about this, but that was the vibe I got from it and why I'm not the biggest fan.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's important to remember that at the end of the day Asuka isn't nearly as tough and badass as she claims to be. She's mad at Shinji, and that anger can sometimes be overwhelming, but Shinji is still someone she can actually relate to. I think she realized that no matter how much she may want to strangle him sometimes, Shinji had become someone she wanted around, which you can interpret however you want. When your only other person to relate to is Mari, you need someone else around to compare her to.:v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eva to me is like a big bang of sorts; a combination of a ton of different elements to make a crazy ride. Anno's issues and depression, bad budget and a story whose grand revelation was its own separate can of worms.

I enjoy the show greatly, and when I find someone who doesn't I'm not really sure why. I just had my college anime club ( :goonsay: ) watch the original series, and I watched as a bunch of 18 year olds became fascinated by a very dated show. If they can like something from 1995, including EoE on top of it, the franchise did something right. \/:shobon:\/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spiritus Nox posted:

Now imagine how satisfying it'll be if Rebuild manages a well-written and happy ending for this psychotic episode of a cast.

I won't get fooled again. :getin:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God drat I would like even an announcement for an announcement for news on the 4th movie at this point. A turtle covered in molasses has lapped the drat studio already.:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The kick to the nuts the latter half the series provides isn't nearly as effective without the upbeat cliche episodes that allegedly "suck."

The series isn't afraid to have fun, but it suffers from the only humorous characters in the first half being Misato (who is prone to going into "all business mode" when dealing with angels), Toji and Kensuke (who aren't around during missions and NERV-related stuff), and Asuka. The show is funny well before Asuka shows up, but upon her arrival the comedy ramps up. I think it works great, too, since I've seen so many people over the years latch onto the light-hearted antics, only to get blindsided by the darker end to the series.

It's great, and I genuinely think the show would have been a lot more boring if it had been quiet, dark and depressing from beginning to end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am so far gone on the edge of my seat, I'm basically sitting in place now. Can't wait for the review of the last two episodes.:allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Gendo's not really any worse or less relatable than any of your other average "I did it all for love!" villians, he's just a lot more productive and less talky than most of them. Plus he has an added air of weirdness since he's not only part of some crazy meta-conspiracy that we're not entirely privy to...but he's playing them as well. For love!

Gendo is Shinji who's resolved to do horrible, horrible things to accomplish his selfish desires.

So yeah, evil Shinji. Just picture that and you're set. Gendo's simple.:shobon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently showed the series and EoE to my college anime club, and got to see these same reactions. Doesn't make this any less amazing.:allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never forget 5/20/14. The day a child became an adult. Long live Evangelion.:911:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair, that's remarkably in character.:stare:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I love that the worlds biggest Asuka fan is Tiffany Grant, the commentaries with her are the ones worth watching especially in EoE were her and two others were saying how they did German scientist voices for a radio or tv in the show and they all break out into their mad scientist German accents.

You can't talk about hammy and cheesy voice acting in anime dubs without mentioning all the extras' voices in early ADV shows. Goodness loving gracious terrible accents and overacting everywhere. It was amazing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EoE is so much fun to watch, even now. I enjoy it immensely for the experience, and to see if there's anything I've missed over the years. Great fun, every single time.

I agree on the Shinji stuff, too. I understand people being frustrated with him, because there is hero potential inside of the kid. He doesn't NOT care, he just has a hard time putting his hand on the hot stove for the fifth time. Can't really blame a guy for losing any or all of his motivation when everyone he knows is either comatose, moving away, limbless, a clone, distant, or dead because of things that you did. Is it directly Shinji's fault for all of these things? No, but holy poo poo. There are two times in the series where I think Shinji tries to go beyond the "if I don't do it no one will" mentality; Leliel and Zeruel. In both of those cases he is nearly lost forever, and his psyche assaulted. It's one thing to be physically beat down when you try to stand up, it's another to nearly go insane when you try to do the right thing. Shinji wants to be better, and tries sometimes, but the series beats him down every step of the way. It's kinda why I enjoy the end of the TV series, personally. At the end of the road, Shinji admits he hasn't really helped himself in...uh, helping himself, and realizes he won't get anywhere if he just gives up. It's kinda uplifting, watching him realize that.

I dunno, I really enjoy Shinji as a character. I can't help but root for him.:unsmith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pen Pen is sacred, and I am irrationally mad about anime now.:ssj:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly Evangelion is just an incredibly dense show, I must have watched the whole thing 6 or 7 times by now and I'm pretty sure I've noticed something new every time.

This. I've watched the whole series about four or five times, give or take some episodes. Back in the age of VHS, I watched what I could and I watched it a lot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay. That's news, and I have reacted to it.

:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The EoE dub is a goddamned travesty, and I say this as someone who liked Spencer's Shinji. Grant's Asuka was consistently enjoyable, though I've been told I'm high off my rear end when I make those claims.:shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Midjack posted:

Funimation is redoing the dub. If we're lucky it'll be out exactly a year late, in January 2015.

Any particular reason why? I haven't been as on top of this as I'd like to be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mr. stefan posted:

http://animatorexpo.com/untilyoucometome/

So hey looks like the Khara staff put together a short for the Animation expo that's been going on for a while and wait what

:stare:

I want to punch Studio Khara's collective ballsacks. You could have ended the tie ins with the Eva horse, and you'd have ended em on a high note. Now you're just trolling. Either way I suspect I'd still be waiting on that 4th movie all the same, but I guess what I'm saying is that I really liked the Eva horse and all this extra crap is just them dangling an unnecessary carrot in front of my face.

Come back to me, Eva horse.:swoon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

straight jerkers posted:

I dont know what you're upset about I thought it was neat

I'm gonna chalk this up to me being bad at internet. I was screwing around. Not really bothered that much, even if I do feel like the short felt like more buzz for a movie that's got plenty of it already. It was nifty, the music was good, and it gave us more to look at in the post-whatever Impact Tokyo III we're at now. It just makes the wait harder, is all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I got to volume 10, how come you do not recommend?

Ending sucked so hard I went blind. For a while, the action was basically unreadable, with everything just super dark, formless blobs flailing around at high speeds. In general, it was a wet fart.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You're a loving moron

Totally agree. Anyone who skips the originals is a shameful anime lover.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The swing represents the massive monster dong Shinji hides behind his insecurities.

Or something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ending was stupid, retroactively made me hate the whole drat thing.

Up until the ending though, it was a lot of fun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zeruel posted:

Some people like Eva, others don't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given that it's Eva he's writing about, the review is actually really short.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The manga's ending is such a waste of time that it retroactively ruins the whole manga run. "Hi I'm going to take 20 years to reimagine this series, but now I don't feel like actually competing with EoE *fart* the end!!! :-)"

And EoE is a loving masterpiece. You feel SOMETHING by the end of it, and what that feeling is tends to change over time the more you think about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

You once made a post that Eva might not have ever been such a success if its development had been normal. That wasn't exactly what you said of course but I hope you remember saying more or less that.

I guess my problem is I can't look passed the fact the whole thing looks and feels like a giant mess. The first half and second half of Eva barely having anything in common, the needlessly obtuse way the anime handles the plot, none of this adds to my experience at all. I came away feeling like the first...I dunno, 13 episodes or so were a huge waste of time.

Maybe the manga is more "generic" because it feels like an actual story with a proper beginning, middle and end.

The anime worked because as Shinji descends deeper and deeper into his own depres shell, the show becomes just as erratic and borderline nuts as he is by that point. Was this done intentionally? Given the budget issues, I doubt that was the original plan. But it all works out to me. Evangelion reminds me a lot of the Drakengard video game, in that people relish and enjoy it for its oddities more than the rest of it. And really, it's true: Eva is at its most entertaining when it's bizarre.

And as far as the story complaint about beginning middle and end, that's pretty much doodoo. Eva has all of those, it's more a matter of if you enjoyed it. Clearly ya didn't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zeruel posted:

Did you just admit to skipping 'Dance Like You Want to Win!'?
Mods???

DEATH PENALTY

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
3.0 was a disappointment, and just because there are some moments that make you think and go "hey this is nice" it doesn't make up for coming out of left field and never really explaining itself.

I watched a movie last night that apparently was trying to make me feel isolated by having a boring plot, unlikeable characters and an overall poor script. Or maybe it just wasn't a good movie. The simplest answer usually veers closer to the truth.

And while the fourth movie may make me dislike the third less, this ridiculous wait for the finale is not improving my overall thoughts on the movie.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is what I'm talking about. You're trying to interact with it like it's a narrative instead of an expression. The plot is not the primary driver of the movie. If you're going in looking to be told a cool story, you're gonna be bored. It's fine if you don't like movies like that, but I don't think it's fair to call the script bad or say it's a bad movie because it doesn't suit your tastes. I bet you would hate Eraserhead too, but it's a drat good move, granted one with almost no plot and, since there's no dialogue, characters that you may very well find to be flat because you have to engage with them on a level other than what you're saying.

Is this type of movie engaging to Eva's audience? Maybe not, but it seems pretty clear that Anno has a lot to critique about Eva's audience anyway so that is probably the point.

The series had a plot, and while it went off the rails a few times it always got back on them. The 3rd movie didn't go off the rails, it started off of them and flailed around in the dark. I get what you're saying, I do, but if Anno took the Rebuild Project to do two standard stories and then delay the third forever in order to engage with his audience on another level, or what have you, he's a master class retard. The fourth movie HAS to snap things back into perspective, because that third movie's reception was so split (I can tell you now that anyone who's held out for the US release of the third movie is going to be let down hard) in its bizarre jump in story he's basically set himself up for hate mail all over aga--

oh god dammit this is all just an elaborate setup for EoE 2 in like...2056 or something.

I have no problem with Anno wanting to do things different, and try something a little odder in his approach to writing stories. Just not in the middle of a project that's already taken twice the time it should have to make originally.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SHISHKABOB posted:

STOP DOING YOUR ART IN MY ART

Yeah basically. It's selfish.:colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Izumi Konata posted:

I believe you've been misled by the drawings in biology books where veins and unoxygenated blood are represented in blue while arteries and oxygenated blood are represented in red - this is even carried through in dissection labs where the animals veins are injected with a blue rubber compound and the arteries are injected with red.

Human blood is made up of a liquid part and a solid part. The liquid part, when it is still in the body, is called plasma. It is yellowish in color. It makes up about 50 - 60 % of our blood.
The solid part is made up of cells; red blood cells, white blood cells
and platelets.

White blood cells and platelets have no color but appear white when they are grouped together, as when blood is separated in a centrifuge. Together they make up less than 1 % of the blood. They are pictured in text books as having a variety of colors. This is because they can be stained with various dyes after they are removed from the body then placed on a glass slide.

Red blood cells are always red. Since red blood cells make up about 40-45% of our blood, the blood is red. Red blood cells are red because they have a protein called hemoglobin which contains iron. Iron likes to bind oxygen. Oxygen combined with iron is red. The more oxygen iron has bound to it, the redder it is.

Veins appear blue because light, penetrating the skin, is absorbed and reflected back to the eye. Since only the higher energy wavelengths can do this (lower energy wavelengths just don't have the *oomph*), only higher energy wavelengths are seen. And higher energy wavelengths are what we call "blue."

okay smart guy explain the blue blood of Rahxephon now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You are no fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rebuild will never be finished, 3.33 will never see the states.

:suicide: