Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

From what the movies say:

Near Third Impact happened. The only reason it didn't complete is because it got stopped but it still hosed the world over really good. The damaging effects got worse over time but not before people could set up the safety villages/the NERV civil war happened/etc. The damage was done and the world was right hosed, it was just that there was enough time to survive and make safe zones and even figure out ways to slowly undo the damage. It's called Near Third because unlike the other Impacts it was stopped.

What people have said about what happened during the timeskip and looking again at some of the dialogue from 3.33 (which may have been terribly put because of translation), it seems like the event with Shinji at the end of 2 was 'Near Third Impact', Kaworu suspended it, then there was a short time period where other stuff happened, then Gendo etc took out the spear and resumed it and caused actual Third Impact, which was what really hosed the world and made everything red and poo poo. People still blame Shinji because he started it all off and N3I is considered the trigger of actual 3I, but they seem to have been distinct events that both happened.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Randalor posted:

Between automated facilities and the MAGI system, plus whatever other "black box" systems Seele had, it's not hard to believe that most of the Eva production systems would be a "drag-and-drop" design system. I mean, there were some that were literally two arms stuck together. Gendo is a scientist in his own right, and the actual airships seemed to be already being designed/built by NERV before N3I.

Pretty sure the super-mass-produced evangelions (the 04s, the 044s, the 07s, the double arms) are just failures of infinity or evangelion infinities they animated and stuck armor on the outside of. S'why the 07s have those creepy skulls - the infinities are headless. And there are a bunch of failures lying around that are, like, half a body or an arm or a leg, those go into the freaky Mark.04 varieties. Those are definitely core material all the way through, we saw that in 3.33 when they got smashed.

Speaking of the 4s, only just realised the Kredit cargo ship has a bunch of 04s strapped to it so it can fly. Cute. Wonder how they got them.

Oh, that made me realise something, and I went back and checked: I think Shinji missed some Eva stuff at the end! The seed capsules look like they generate their propulsion fields with little red cores generating AT halos. And they're still there after he resets Earth. Whoops.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 17, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Near Third impact, apparently during an appearance Anno gave a rough ouline of events that happened after 2 ended on a stage, things that would've been a movie before they decided not to do it:

Shinji gets speared and they shut down/pause Near Third Impact, Gendo is ousted from the leadership of Nerv and goes into hiding with Fuyutsuki, Kaji and Kaworu end up running Nerv for a short time, that's why we see the two of them during Kaworu's bits at the end of 3+1. After a fairly shot time Gendo comes back, takes things over, there's a big battle, Third Impact resumes, that's when most of the planet is transformed and all the weird stuff we see inside Nerv HQ in 3.33 happens, Kaji sacrifices his life to end it before absolutely everyone dies, the remaining Nerv personnel form WILLE to stop Gendo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh jeez bottom left corner oh jeez.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

the ships were being built for a long time. If the date of 11805 is using the Holocene date system then it was laid down in 1805.

Also the ships are clearly being wrapped around some kind of grown life form that comprises a lot of the structure. my interpretation of things is that they're built around the recovered bodies of the four adams (and the four all-core 'master' evangelions, 09-12, were their cores) but that doesn't really fit the 200-year-old timeline. Unless they started building them knowing they'd be killing the Adams later.

In the original concept for the Wunder it would've been mostly living stuff, skeleton and flesh and viscera with just hull wrapped around the outside and things strapped to it, and the 'interior' areas of the ship would be relatively small little gaps between organs and stuff they squeezed habitation bubbles into. Small familiar looking 'white blood cell' immune defence creatures would've roamed the halls, and for a while they thought about giving it a full head and mouth.

I kinda wish they'd gone with that, made them much more clearly eva-esque-tech with a more similar aesthetic to the Evas themselves. It would've felt more natural fitting the setting. Maybe not quite this much though (Oh, I only just realised the two big forward hulls are meant to be like Eva shoulder pylons)

Another neat lil piece of trivia: the reason the escape pods exited so weirdly and are all crumpled at the bottom is because they're actually the assault pods that WILLE boarded the ship with to steal it, they drove into the ship and drilled into it, then WILLE left them there to use as escape pods if needed, built new hull over where they were.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

get me HQ! posted:

How do we know that all of this happened? Not doubting just curious because I really did not get much of this from the movies.

This stuff sounds way more interesting than most of what happened in 3.33 and i wonder why they didn't make this story the third movie.

They nearly did, did a lot of work on it, but decided they didn't want to have a movie totally without Shinji.

The preview at the end of 2.22 is from that initial work back when they thought that'd be the next movie, and they've confirmed that most of the things in it did happen (largely except for that they changed up unit 8 and its role)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeF4tWlOS3E

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

What happened to stuff like mari watching flocks of wild birds or the aquatic preserve in 222 i guess they all died?

I mean the sea preserve would've been wiped out, but I'm pretty sure the implication from dialogue in this movie is that Kaji's work restoring that little bit of ocean is what lead to him figuring out how to push back the red effect and helped save people and set up sanctuaries.

quote:

In the original series sea level rise was what destroyed Tokyo1 and now it's not a prt of the story?

In the original series Toyko-1 was nuked.

quote:

Final just seemed like a jumble of self-referential eva imagery kaleidoscoped and reused again without showing its influence on people like in eoe's empty theatre, fan letters and live action footage. I don't know if they didn't show enough of the globe or what but the particle effects and headless cg bodies walking around seemed smaller scale than eoe's giant rei/kaworu and light crosses popping around earth.

Well a part of that is because the big world-changing event that wiped out everyone happened during third impact. (The events of this movie did happen in a smaller space, at the very least: it all happened in the funnel of distorted space at the south pole. The souls were already gathered in the form of Infinities)

quote:

Like in this movie only the people shinji was close with with got instrumentalities, not the rest of the world? Or were there just fewer people alive left on the planet/village3 at that point.

They didn't get to the point of instrumentality: Shinji was able to reject it before it happened. While within that space he was able to have some much-needed conversations with the people around him, though.

quote:

It all just kinda felt unearned. I know shinji was traumatized but besides giving rei books he didn't really do much to make it up to everybody that was nice to him while he was sad?

I mean he saved their existences in return does that count?

quote:

Did he ever even approach mari or was she sneaking up on him every time they interacted? Then whoops now that he decided to never cry again she's his girlfriend lol.

The consensus is that him and Mari is representative of moving on to someone new, because his relationships with all the traditional waifus that people ship him with are too hosed up to ever be healthy.

quote:

The angels always seemed like they had a progression, each time getting more advanced to teach new skills after the previous one was defeated. This time it was just like there were a lot of them and they had skull faces? Not that interesting.

The last angel was the swooshy shapeshifting black mass from last movie, there were no more after that. The skull dudes were mass produced evangelions.

quote:

dad playing tricks for affection

If you think Gendo finally opening up a bit to Shinji was meant to be a trick then you probably had a couple of pre-existing assumptions that stopped you taking the movie as intended.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can we throw away spoiler tags at this point?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

boners that dubbing studios were once allowed to edit to improve watchability before Khara dropped the gigaton hammer on them and said “Use our script as is or gently caress off, no dub at all.”

I'm sorry, Princess. I am filled with unbearable shame! I guess I have to withdraw.

E: I got curious about some of these things and did a search and ran across an argument about the Child/Children thing and that's enough internet for me. (Although it does make me wonder if them trying to do the same thing with pluralisation that clearly doesn't translate is the reason they insist that each of the four Adams was an individually called an Adams, not an Adam.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Archer666 posted:

Based on the post-credits previews at the end of the movies being wildly different than we ended up getting, and smaller things like how the poster design for the first 2 movies fit sequentially together only for 3 and 4 to do their own thing along with the big time gaps always made me think that Anno had no idea what he wanted to do with the movies and just made stuff as he went along.

There's enough stuff in this one that fits into little details in the early ones in retrospect that I think it's clear he knew exactly how things would go in terms of, like, the mechanics of the plot and what would occur in the process and how exactly the impacts would work and the big events. He just didn't have the actual narrative or story-we-follow remotely figured out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bicycle posted:

i struggle to find any interest in the wunder crew beyond the ex-nerv crew.

Although speaking of, if you are doing to dedicate screen time to Wunder crew, give us a quick checkin on Makoto and Shigeru. At least Maya got a few noticeable lines beyond calling out updates.

I suspect the thing with Midori and Suzuhara was meant to drive home how traumatized everyone was from third impact still, but that's another case where a movie set in between to show that would've served it much better and freed up the space.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 19, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Could care less about the series being on Blu-ray. It’s a TV show from the mid 90s, the platinum editions I bought back in 2004 are fine.

Oh I'm sure they'll eventually get on the upscale train, and put out something like that. After all, people doing anime upscale models has been like 90% of the driving factor for that and it's gotten pretty good at that task.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think an underappreciated part of evangelion is their evacuation process. There's gotta be at least a million people living in Tokyo3, if not more. At least at the start of the series. But they can clear that whole city in like less than a day.

They probably built the city to be evacuated and everyone had to be ready the whole time with individual routes pre-assigned and poo poo.

Are there any shows that are just about the absurd lives of engineers and civil planners in the post-Kaiju robot fight world?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Randalor posted:

How much of an Eva actually needs to be an Eva anyways? Unit 5 was shown to work with those weird wheeled pseudo-spider legs, and Unit 8's only problem with the weird arm wing things just fine (Mari's complaints aside).

I assume the Mark 4 disc things from 3.33 is basically an Eva that's been pared down to just a core and a miniaturised extremely basic dummy system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

There's a shot later in 3.0+1.0 that shows how much of Unit 02 is actually left inside it's new body - and it's not much.

When is that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's wrong with the battleships? None of them actually worked in this movie, did they? They were basically just old boats they'd hauled out and were using Wunder's powers to lift around as big hunks of movable armor.

I did like the Kredit ship that they refitted by putting it in a dry cradle and attaching the Mark.04s to the cradle.

I do love how even in postapocalpyptia, branding is apparently important.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People clinging to their pets as they come back is cute but shoutout to the guy who instrumentalises with his trumpet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My reading of Mari is 'it turns out it's healthier for Shinji to end up with someone new who he doesn't have an incredibly hosed up relationship with'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah well it's still Eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Only 6 episodes in and im already crying (i had a little bit to drink).

Please livepost the movie at the end.