Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

excuse to repost one of the few images i saved when i read through this thread:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seeing all the comparisons to EoE lately has got me thinking. I've always kind of felt like the community at large over states how happy of an ending EoE had.

Like, yes it was overall a positive ending in that Shinji is on the path to a healthier future as he's realized that being with other people is worth the pain. However it also ends with seemingly all of humanity dead, and the only two people left have an extremely toxic relationship with one another. Shinji is seemingly on the path to recovery, but also immediately strangles the first person he comes across. For a first time viewer it's an incredibly bleak ending that only has the slightest hint of a positive message behind it, and the hard cut ending really helps it feel even more depressing. Multiple rewatches does give a better impression of it being a happy ending, but it takes some effort to get there imo.

I watched Eva+EoE for the first time earlier this year I would generally agree, but I still gleaned something positive from the ending. Asuka stroking Shinji's cheek stuck with me.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

i see we've reached the 'goon feigning illiteracy' part of the discussion

Oh, is that what you're doing? It makes a lot more sense now. Have fun!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

the ships were being built for a long time. If the date of 11805 is using the Holocene date system then it was laid down in 1805.

Also the ships are clearly being wrapped around some kind of grown life form that comprises a lot of the structure. my interpretation of things is that they're built around the recovered bodies of the four adams (and the four all-core 'master' evangelions, 09-12, were their cores) but that doesn't really fit the 200-year-old timeline. Unless they started building them knowing they'd be killing the Adams later.

In the original concept for the Wunder it would've been mostly living stuff, skeleton and flesh and viscera with just hull wrapped around the outside and things strapped to it, and the 'interior' areas of the ship would be relatively small little gaps between organs and stuff they squeezed habitation bubbles into. Small familiar looking 'white blood cell' immune defence creatures would've roamed the halls, and for a while they thought about giving it a full head and mouth.

I kinda wish they'd gone with that, made them much more clearly eva-esque-tech with a more similar aesthetic to the Evas themselves. It would've felt more natural fitting the setting. Maybe not quite this much though (Oh, I only just realised the two big forward hulls are meant to be like Eva shoulder pylons)

Another neat lil piece of trivia: the reason the escape pods exited so weirdly and are all crumpled at the bottom is because they're actually the assault pods that WILLE boarded the ship with to steal it, they drove into the ship and drilled into it, then WILLE left them there to use as escape pods if needed, built new hull over where they were.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 18, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also the ships are clearly being wrapped around some kind of grown life form. my interpretation of things is that they're built around the recovered bodies of the four adams (and the four all-core 'master' evangelions, 09-12, were their cores) but that doesn't really fit the 200-year-old timeline. Unless they started building them knowing they'd be killing the Adams later.

To be fair you can always go DEAD SEA SCROLLS

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, is that what you're doing? It makes a lot more sense now. Have fun!

I'm sorry you don't understand extremely basic repeated motifs like the gates of guf vanishing mean the impact is over and have an irresistible urge to double down because you got really basic things wrong lmao to the extent that even words from the creator themselves cause you to seethe like this

it's just an anime bro, it's okay to make bad calls about a situation that is quite complex, but you can't pretend that you're actually arguing that third impact was where the world changed when you outright said that it was the near third:

ImpAtom posted:

From what the movies say:

Near Third Impact happened. The only reason it didn't complete is because it got stopped but it still hosed the world over really good. The damaging effects got worse over time but not before people could set up the safety villages/the NERV civil war happened/etc. The damage was done and the world was right hosed, it was just that there was enough time to survive and make safe zones and even figure out ways to slowly undo the damage. It's called Near Third because unlike the other Impacts it was stopped.

ImpAtom posted:

The two separate events were part of the whole. That's kind of the point. Shinji's actions brought about an apocalyptic scenario but thanks to it being stopped via spear there was enough time for actual solutions to be put in play whereas if it hadn't been stopped then the world would have gone full End of Eva right there. Near Third Impact is the one people consider the huge disaster while Third Impact was stopped by Kaji and didn't seem to have anywhere as serious consequences. (Or if it did they weren't significant enough to ping for people over N3I.)

The majority of the damage appears to have been done by N3I and the way everyone acts would make zero sense if that wasn't the case. The fact that Third Impact happened doesn't mean it was more significant than N3I, especially since Kaji stopped it seemingly permanently however the hell he did.

i know, i know, goons hate it when you remember things but just take the L dude lmao. the stuff that changed the world took place after third impact, not near third, which means we come right back to the mystery of what was shinji's culpability if anything. it may even be the slow corification process you describe!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

pretty sure shinji is getting blamed because the actual proper third impact that Kaji stopped was a continuation of, and would not have happened without, the near third impact event shinji started at the end of 2.22, at least not in the way it did. Its like people who would, fuckin, blame gavrilo princip for starting World War I by shooting franz ferdinand even though he wasn't the one who started all the trench warfare, and everyone is motivated in 3.0 by the fact that the last time Shinji got in an eva, it nearly kicked off the end of the world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Horizon Burning posted:

i see we've reached the 'goon feigning illiteracy' part of the discussion

Horizon Burning posted:

I'm sorry you don't understand extremely basic repeated motifs like the gates of guf vanishing mean the impact is over

What obnoxious, pedantic garbage. Touch grass, dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

What obnoxious, pedantic garbage. Touch grass, dude.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: It’s over, go outside.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If Kaji still stopped Third Impact from fully happening, does this actually count as Third Impact or Near Third Impact Part 2

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked that misato finally admitted to her part in all of this mess instead of shoving all responsibility on to shinji. in 3.33 it seemed like everyone including misato and shinji himself exclusively blamed him for something he was only marginally responsible for.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

How do we know that all of this happened? Not doubting just curious because I really did not get much of this from the movies.

This stuff sounds way more interesting than most of what happened in 3.33 and i wonder why they didn't make this story the third movie.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The only hanging question I have about Evangelion is I’m still unclear as to why Shinji was strangling Asuka in EoE on the beach. Everything else I basically understand, or at least get what they were going for.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Watched 3 and 3+1 on streaming. Subtitles had bad spacing, 333 seemed like a new translation and picture quality looked nicer than the bluray i think.

liked: Autonomous seed ark, Mari collecting books to learn from.

The wunder being a seed ark is rad, were there any spots for wild animals or was it just plants? Seemed like most of the animals in the movie were domesticated dogs and cats. What happened to stuff like mari watching flocks of wild birds or the aquatic preserve in 222 i guess they all died? Were the cicada sounds gone? Would have enjoyed a shot of earth reforesting like in diacon.

didn't like: Feeling sort of unfulfilled by the resolution, like the movie was telling me I was trying to find meaning in something that wasn't there. This didn't seem like the right message for an earth in 2021 that is actually experiencing mass extinction and biosphere collapse. Like a boomer telling me to take a bath, have some kids, be more like your doctor friend and start a credit union?? That aint going to do it man. Too much multiply and be fruitful and not enough reap/sow. We can't just plant some more rice and go catch a fish when seasons besides summer barely exist, forests and permafrost are burning and the oceans are poisoned. Watching the japan olympics people were passing out melting each day from excessive heat and surfing through a tropical storm. In the original series sea level rise was what destroyed Tokyo1 and now it's not a part of the story? We are going to have to adapt in different ways than just going back to the farm or whatever.

The mocap, clean cg with boring lighting and garish use of bright colors all seemed messy and maybe intentionally unpleasant to look at. Was that the point of eva imaginary, to kill eva off with cg reis, ugly angels and wacky music battleship chases? Disengage people from its mysteries with dumb answers so they will persue their own original artistic endeavors, steal the good working parts and move on to something else. I guess that's fine.

Watching 333 before this and i think it's a more hopeful finale to the movie series with them walking off into the hills of a changed earth to something new. Beautiful colors of red and purple, disorienting personal perspective and a grand sense of scale with lots of cool old religious symbolism. Ruined nerv hq with piano, lcl flood stains on buildings, inverted pyramid column in the sky over transformed earth with teeth, and a moon being pulled up out of the ground and falling back down were all amazing.

Even little stuff like maris sniper rifle looking similar to the telescope from the opening of the movie the golem (1920.) Which led me to believe that like the golem story the eva would be destroyed by removing a piece of its armor or a letter from the word truth (emet) written on their forehead/arm/in their mouth to make it the word dead (met.)

Final just seemed like a jumble of self-referential eva imagery kaleidoscoped and reused again without showing its influence on people like in eoe's empty theatre, fan letters and live action footage. I don't know if they didn't show enough of the globe or what but the particle effects and headless cg bodies walking around seemed smaller scale than eoe's giant rei/kaworu and light crosses popping around earth. Like in this movie only the people shinji was close with with got instrumentalities, not the rest of the world? Or were there just fewer people alive left on the planet/village3 at that point. Maybe this poster got me expecting a sequence with a new style of animation and unit01 turned to statue/rock formation at the end.

Making a new spear is a neat idea but why did it look like a soul calibur sword? It would have been fine for it to be a scythe or trident or an ancient sasanian fork with the bigger rounded part, something with a more simple shape.

It all just kinda felt unearned. I know shinji was traumatized but besides giving rei books he didn't really do much to make it up to everybody that was nice to him while he was sad? Did he ever even approach mari or was she sneaking up on him every time they interacted? Then whoops now that he decided to never cry again she's his girlfriend lol.

The angels always seemed like they had a progression, each time getting more advanced to teach new skills after the previous one was defeated. This time it was just like there were a lot of them and they had skull faces? Not that interesting.

Unit08's head shape and color always reminded me of giant winged rei deflating in eoe.

I thought mari would be like an alternate version of shinji that had reformed after an instrumentality as an independent person that's just happy to be alive and nice to everyone. Then have her realize shes actually an angel at the end and be similar to kaworu or big rei forcing shinji to have make the decision to sacrifice the safety of being with someone ideal to live in a flawed real world with imperfect people that change over time, but i guess we have already seen that kind of conclusion. In the original series the motherly characters were the masterminds that set up the computers and systems preserve their humanity forever. This time it was just kaji making a seed ark and dad playing tricks for affection? Clones that are programmed to have specific emotions and more characters that don't age? Seemed a bit hollow like gendo's new head. oh well.

tldr; :qqsay: it wasn't what i expected.

nine-gear crow posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: It’s over, go outside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

get me HQ! posted:

How do we know that all of this happened? Not doubting just curious because I really did not get much of this from the movies.

This stuff sounds way more interesting than most of what happened in 3.33 and i wonder why they didn't make this story the third movie.

They nearly did, did a lot of work on it, but decided they didn't want to have a movie totally without Shinji.

The preview at the end of 2.22 is from that initial work back when they thought that'd be the next movie, and they've confirmed that most of the things in it did happen (largely except for that they changed up unit 8 and its role)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeF4tWlOS3E

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 18, 2021

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The only hanging question I have about Evangelion is I’m still unclear as to why Shinji was strangling Asuka in EoE on the beach. Everything else I basically understand, or at least get what they were going for.

To me that whole scene is just restating the central idea of the series, the "porcupine's dilemma" concept, but in a single quiet moment. Shinji and Asuka choose to become individuals again, and that means that once again they can hurt and be hurt by each other. At that moment Shinji feels unbearably exposed to her, since their minds were just one in instrumentality, but also horribly distant at the same time, so he lashes out. Yet even though she recognizes the full extent of his flaws (remember, the film begins with him jerking off to her comatose body), she gives him an oddly tender caress, before expressing her disgust. So like the hedgehog's that huddle together for warmth and end up pricking each other, its a moment where they both hurt each other but they are also closer than they've ever been.

Ultimately its a positive ending because Shinji chose this. He has accepted that life is worth living, even though it hurts.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 18, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Watched 3 and 3+1 on streaming. Subtitles had bad spacing, 333 seemed like a new translation and picture quality looked nicer than the bluray i think.

liked: Autonomous seed ark, Mari collecting books to learn from.

The wunder being a seed ark is rad, were there any spots for wild animals or was it just plants? Seemed like most of the animals in the movie were domesticated dogs and cats. What happened to stuff like mari watching flocks of wild birds or the aquatic preserve in 222 i guess they all died? Were the cicada sounds gone? Would have enjoyed a shot of earth reforesting like in diacon.

I think it’s stated that the arks also have the genetic material of most, if not all the known life forms that Third Impact wiped out stored on board in addition to the seeds of all known surviving plants as well. It kind of zips by real fast because that scene was really awkward and another one of those “Ritsuko explains Misato’s master plan… to Misato” boners that dubbing studios were once allowed to edit to improve watchability before Khara dropped the gigaton hammer on them and said “Use our script as is or gently caress off, no dub at all.”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What happened to stuff like mari watching flocks of wild birds or the aquatic preserve in 222 i guess they all died?

I mean the sea preserve would've been wiped out, but I'm pretty sure the implication from dialogue in this movie is that Kaji's work restoring that little bit of ocean is what lead to him figuring out how to push back the red effect and helped save people and set up sanctuaries.

quote:

In the original series sea level rise was what destroyed Tokyo1 and now it's not a prt of the story?

In the original series Toyko-1 was nuked.

quote:

Final just seemed like a jumble of self-referential eva imagery kaleidoscoped and reused again without showing its influence on people like in eoe's empty theatre, fan letters and live action footage. I don't know if they didn't show enough of the globe or what but the particle effects and headless cg bodies walking around seemed smaller scale than eoe's giant rei/kaworu and light crosses popping around earth.

Well a part of that is because the big world-changing event that wiped out everyone happened during third impact. (The events of this movie did happen in a smaller space, at the very least: it all happened in the funnel of distorted space at the south pole. The souls were already gathered in the form of Infinities)

quote:

Like in this movie only the people shinji was close with with got instrumentalities, not the rest of the world? Or were there just fewer people alive left on the planet/village3 at that point.

They didn't get to the point of instrumentality: Shinji was able to reject it before it happened. While within that space he was able to have some much-needed conversations with the people around him, though.

quote:

It all just kinda felt unearned. I know shinji was traumatized but besides giving rei books he didn't really do much to make it up to everybody that was nice to him while he was sad?

I mean he saved their existences in return does that count?

quote:

Did he ever even approach mari or was she sneaking up on him every time they interacted? Then whoops now that he decided to never cry again she's his girlfriend lol.

The consensus is that him and Mari is representative of moving on to someone new, because his relationships with all the traditional waifus that people ship him with are too hosed up to ever be healthy.

quote:

The angels always seemed like they had a progression, each time getting more advanced to teach new skills after the previous one was defeated. This time it was just like there were a lot of them and they had skull faces? Not that interesting.

The last angel was the swooshy shapeshifting black mass from last movie, there were no more after that. The skull dudes were mass produced evangelions.

quote:

dad playing tricks for affection

If you think Gendo finally opening up a bit to Shinji was meant to be a trick then you probably had a couple of pre-existing assumptions that stopped you taking the movie as intended.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

If you think Gendo finally opening up a bit to Shinji was meant to be a trick then you probably had a couple of pre-existing assumptions that stopped you taking the movie as intended.

I mean, this is someone who thinks that three depressed, psychologically broken teenagers (well, Asuka's 28 and Ayanami is freshly vat grown, but you get the idea) walking through a wasteland to an unknown fate as the world continues to decay into an apocalyptic hellscape is more hopeful and optimistic than a restored world where the leads have mostly worked out their issues and grown to be happy, well adjusted adults, without the shadow of Evangelion haunting them, as Shinji and Mari run happily into the sunlight.

I don't think we're in a position where it's just a couple of weird assumptions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m with Rocko Botte from Mega 64 in that I feel Gendo’s perfect ultimate comeuppance wasn’t getting told off by Yui and chomped on by a metaphorical Unit-01 in the Third Impact equivalent of a bad trip, but seeing Gendo reduced to a weeping child on the Character Epiphany Express with Shinji standing over him looking down on him in pity and disgust. Gendo never got a breakdown like everyone else in the show did, and the climax of the whole franchise being him under the spotlight was amazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

didn't like: Feeling sort of unfulfilled by the resolution, like the movie was telling me I was trying to find meaning in something that wasn't there. This didn't seem like the right message for an earth in 2021 that is actually experiencing mass extinction and biosphere collapse. Like a boomer telling me to take a bath, have some kids, be more like your doctor friend and start a credit union?? That aint going to do it man. Too much multiply and be fruitful and not enough reap/sow. We can't just plant some more rice and go catch a fish when seasons besides summer barely exist, forests and permafrost are burning and the oceans are poisoned. Watching the japan olympics people were passing out melting each day from excessive heat and surfing through a tropical storm. In the original series sea level rise was what destroyed Tokyo1 and now it's not a part of the story? We are going to have to adapt in different ways than just going back to the farm or whatever.

the first hour of the movie shows people trying to unfuck the environment using short term solutions and stressing how precarious the situation in one of humanity's last outposts is and the resolution of the movie has the characters realize they actually have to address the root of the problem instead of relying on half measures to mitigate the effects.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Watched the original series when I was 13 or 14. End of Eva was a life-altering revelation for me at that age. Evangelion is anchored deep inside my heart. Watching this finale felt akin to a spiritual experience. The characters have dwelled inside me so deeply as archetypes, so seeing such a final renewal and culmination was really moving and powerful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah same I'm completely incapable of judging the movie with anything approaching objectivity. All I can say is I was tearing up for pretty much the entire last quarter or so and it was roughly the perfect ending to Evangelion. Honestly it reminded me a lot of how the popular Eva fanfics tended to end but executed much, much better, so I suppose a lot of people felt that way.

I was especially a fan of how frequently they explained what was going on because almost the only things I remembered about 3.0 were that it was very confusing and Kaworu died at the end. Luckily according to the recap at the beginning that was pretty much the only important thing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 18, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can we throw away spoiler tags at this point?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Can we throw away spoiler tags at this point?

I'd say give it to Friday. That's one week of the movie being out in the open. The vast majority of people who are going to have watched it and will be posting about it in this thread will have likely seen it by then, I'd wager.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it’s stated that the arks also have the genetic material of most, if not all the known life forms that Third Impact wiped out stored on board in addition to the seeds of all known surviving plants as well. It kind of zips by real fast because that scene was really awkward and another one of those “Ritsuko explains Misato’s master plan… to Misato” boners that dubbing studios were once allowed to edit to improve watchability before Khara dropped the gigaton hammer on them and said “Use our script as is or gently caress off, no dub at all.”

Nice, that's encouraging.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, this is someone who thinks that three depressed, psychologically broken teenagers (well, Asuka's 28 and Ayanami is freshly vat grown, but you get the idea) walking through a wasteland to an unknown fate as the world continues to decay into an apocalyptic hellscape is more hopeful and optimistic than a restored world where the leads have mostly worked out their issues and grown to be happy, well adjusted adults, without the shadow of Evangelion haunting them, as Shinji and Mari run happily into the sunlight.

I don't think we're in a position where it's just a couple of weird assumptions.

Yeah just letting go of my baggage to move on, i'm glad they finally finished it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

boners that dubbing studios were once allowed to edit to improve watchability before Khara dropped the gigaton hammer on them and said “Use our script as is or gently caress off, no dub at all.”

I'm sorry, Princess. I am filled with unbearable shame! I guess I have to withdraw.

E: I got curious about some of these things and did a search and ran across an argument about the Child/Children thing and that's enough internet for me. (Although it does make me wonder if them trying to do the same thing with pluralisation that clearly doesn't translate is the reason they insist that each of the four Adams was an individually called an Adams, not an Adam.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 18, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Starting to understand why the English-language Eva fanbase is so confused over basic points of fact in the original series

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The only mystery that remains is

Come, Sweet Death or One Last Kiss

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
After watching/rewatching 3.0+1.0, there is so much to digest and that I want to talk about. For the moment the following stood out for me :

I don't post much online about Eva so I may be late to the party but I feel that the point of Eva being a backdrop for a exploration on personal growth has been some what confirmed, .

Also, After what the original series and EoE did, I was genuinely confused about what Anno was aiming to do with the Rebuilds. Shinji had his character development, the OS and EoE told that story. So when Gendo et al getting their instrumentality therapy was amazing and a great cap stone to the series. .

Before it aired I was really sure that Shinii and Kaworu and Asuka and Mari would be paired. Not for shipping purposes, but that due to the fundamental growth Shinji received in EoE and the original series would cause him to avoid Asuka as a partner. . On Kaworu, I am trilled he got his own happy ending, being more than a instrument for Shinjis happiness, he found his own meaning!

Finally on the last scene, my interpretation is Shinji and Mari does not bother me... and that is even if they got together as I am not 100% sure the film shows they did. Asuka and Shinji was shown to be a toxic relationship (co-dependent at the very least) so I am glad they found their happiness separately. Auska being alone on the bench is also fine, as this could be showing she has developed enough that she knows people will be in her life even if they are not always present ( I could be reaching here though). .

Anyway thanks for reading my gush and well done Team Evangelion, its been over 25 years and you still know how to make me smile and learn about myself.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

One last kiss sucks

Its just a boring j-pop song

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BB2K posted:

One last kiss sucks

Mods perma ban this goon

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Knorth posted:

EDIT: ignore this post as I got it wrong

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 18, 2021

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Silly question is a physical release planned for 3.0+1.0 or it a streaming exclusive for the foreseeable future?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

BB2K posted:

One last kiss sucks

It's good and partly produced by A.G. Cook who rules.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Trick question, the correct answer is Thanatos -If I can't be yours-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0VnHQ2kRI

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The correct correct answer is Everything You Ever Dreamed

RE Ships: I don't mind if Shinji ends up with Mari in the end, because I think it makes sense thematically. But the movie doesn't definitively say that they are a romantic couple.

This is just my headcanon poo poo that's technically supported by the text, but: Mari seems really close to Shinji at the end of the movie, but she's like that to everyone all the time. She's super intimate with Asuka, and flashbacks show that she had a similar way of interacting with people back when she was in Fuyutsuki's college club for occult atrocities. When she's running up the stairs with Shinji at the end, you could definitely read that as them being a couple, but I also felt like you could just as easily read it as two queer friends who are really close to each other.

I appreciate that Shinji didn't end up with Kaworu in the end. First because it allowed Kaworu to get some very meaningful characterization about not just being someone's magic dream boyfriend. But also because in all the timelines except the final one, Kaworu is dead and a core part of Shinji's characterization comes from having to grow from Kaworu's death. It wouldn't fit at all for Shinji to create a magical universe where the love of his life comes back from the dead so they can hook up again, because that's exactly what the past 20 years have been setting up as Gendo's ultimate, world-ending folly. What we get is close to that superficially, but thematically is quite different, because Kaworu comes back to life but is finally given the right to live his own life.

I also don't necessarily think that the movie is pairing people off in that end train platform scene. Kaworu and Rei have no chemistry together; I don't think the implication is that they are romantically involved, but that their predetermined roles in life were similar and now they've gotten a chance to board a new train. Kaworu, Rei, and Asuka were the original Eva pilots aside from Shinji, and they're all on the other side of the train station from him, because he's found a way to live life without clinging to them.

All of this is to say: Shinji is dating Misato's son Ryoji, and Mari is like my precious gay friend let us leave this train station together so you can go kiss your husband nya

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Like a boomer telling me to take a bath, have some kids, be more like your doctor friend and start a credit union?? That aint going to do it man.

i'm jaded as heck but i'd be surprised if we got something else tbh

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cephas posted:

The correct correct answer is Everything You Ever Dreamed

At first I mistakenly thought you meant that 6-hour-long dimensia album, but that's actually Everywhere At The End of Time. Even though Eva has nothing to do with dimensia, I still feel like the album has big Eva vibes. It's probably what your brain goes through before getting tanged.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Also, After what the original series and EoE did, I was genuinely confused about what Anno was aiming to do with the Rebuilds.

Based on the post-credits previews at the end of the movies being wildly different than we ended up getting, and smaller things like how the poster design for the first 2 movies fit sequentially together only for 3 and 4 to do their own thing along with the big time gaps always made me think that Anno had no idea what he wanted to do with the movies and just made stuff as he went along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

Anno had no idea what he wanted to do with the movies and just made stuff as he went along.

Wait, does anybody think differently?