Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
If that previous fellow isn't joining after all, I'll take the Lightning.

If he does, I really don't mind what team I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I'm in as the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
To represent the Tampa Bay Lightning we have this ridiculously 90's alternate jersey.

Edit: Also we're going to draft players. Players who play hockey. Drafting hockey players is a process. If you draft a hockey player on Monday, you can also draft one on Tuesday. And you can build on that.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 9, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

i am not so sure posted:

Tampa is up next, he has PM's off. If he doesn't come into the thread in a couple of hours, his pick will be consensus'd. I wish people would at least communicate, but this can't be a priority in everyday life, so hopefully he comes in and makes his pick.

I'm here. Give me a bit of time to contemplate and debate with my co-GM.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

With the 26th pick overall in the 2013 SAS NHL draft the Tampa Bay Lightning select...

Evander Kane!
Cap Hit: $5,250,000
Contract length: 6 years

He's putting up comparable numbers to players with far better supporting casts, while being younger and the sort of player one can build a franchise around. It feels like a somewhat risky pick, but this organization has deemed him the future and savior of hockey in Tampa Bay, in the hopes we can attract our own fans to drive away those pasty Habs fans who invade.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 12, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

canuckanese posted:

That's an interesting pick. I thought he'd survive til the second round. Still, he's 21 and he's signed to a good deal for the next 5 years. Definitely a good core piece to build around. Plus he scores goals and broke Matt Cooke's big dumb face. I thought he was a LW though.

Yeah, there was a lot of debate going on internally and externally with my roommate/co-GM. I kind of made the executive decision though. He's just coming into his own and I feel like he's only getting better.

Edit: Yeah, you're right, left wing. Dunno why I thought center. Derp on my part.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 12, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
And Logan Couture was one of the guys heavily in the mix for me. Kane was just so much younger. With a lot less around him while still producing.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Thufir posted:

Along those lines though, I wish the team I took over hadn't picked Patrick Kane so early, not how I would have chosen to build.

He's the right winger you deserve just not the one you need right now?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

eXXon posted:

Andrew Ladd, what the gently caress??? A winger who's never scored 30 goals or 60 points? Are you drunk?

I did not expect two Winnipeg Jets to be picked in the first round.

To be fair, I think Evander Kane is a franchise player. But he plays in Winnipeg.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Also to go back quite awhile, Jamie Benn has been a center for the past two seasons.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Are we allowed to trade picks? Or is that against the rules?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

With the fourth pick in the second round, the Tampa Bay Lightning will select...

Kari Lehtonen.
Cap hit: $3,550,000 for 2012-2013, up to $5,900,000 the following season.
Contract length: 2017-2018

This was a fairly agonizing pick, trying to decide what direction to go, considering how many great players are on the board, but we had to take into consideration that we wouldn't be picking again until the late third round, and realize that a goaltender is a very important part of the team night in and night out. And Kari, while not the statistically best goaltender out there, comes at a price we like, while having size, and fundamentals, making him a good long term solution. He's not the sort of goaltender who relies on his atheletics to get him by, and we're excited to see what he can do with the defense we put in front of him.

Edit: I feel like I'm going to take a lot of grief for this pick.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 13, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Thufir posted:

Are you a former fan of the Atlanta thrashers, by any chance?

Nope. This is just kind of happening by happy coincidence. I dunno, there were quite a few players I agonized over for this pick. I had to call the ball eventually, and just went with my gut.

the talent deficit posted:

i like lehtonen a lot and he's arguably the next logical goalie pick but there's a billion great centers and dmen left and we're at the point where there's not a lot of difference between goalies available now and in round 10

No guarantee that goalies like this fall that far, and you can build a great team but if you have a lovely goalie, you're gonna get screwed. And like I said, I don't pick again until the late third round. I feel a lot better having my starting goalie situation solved now.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 13, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Austrian mook posted:

Lehtonen is a fine pick. I would have taken maybe, 2 goalies above him but that's all personal preference. Whenever we play Dallas I go, imagine if he had defensemen in front of him!

I was talking to my buddy about that other day. I feel bad for the guy, and I'm a Stars fan. He's the kind of guy that I think could carry a team deep into the playoffs. If they could help him get there.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Austrian mook posted:

drat, we're making some progress tonight

Playing Shogun 2: Total War and researching hockey players, while agonizing over drafting them in a fantasy GM draft. Could I ask for a better Friday? (Probably)

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Verviticus posted:

there's been literally 0 people saying a thing about me picking keith. do people just not remember that he's still alive

Who?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Edit: Wrong thread.

But uh...Letang was a solid pick. I kind of need to think of defensemen myself I guess. I've got one in particular on my radar.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Thufir posted:

Um, it's Drewbert Doughty.

I'll come out and say I think the Lehtonen pick is bad, there are at least 8 goalies still available that I think are better than him and at least some of them have similar contracts.

Statistically? No, not really and pretty much every goalie of a similar contract, with similar stats has a "team" in front of them or something.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
OEL was a guy I was seriously considering. I was just hoping/praying he'd somehow fall all the way to late 3rd round.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Paulocaust posted:

Not including my own team, these are the top 5 tandems so far (in no order). Best picks of round 2 were Yandle at #55, Perry at #43 and Chara at #45. Biggest reaches were Semin at #48, Voynov at #53 and Bobrovsky at 58.

Sweet. Didn't include the Lehtonen pick. Shockingly most people seemed ok with it, outside of one guy calling it outright bad.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

eXXon posted:

Eriksson looks like a good pick. Is his dropoff this year just Dallas sucking?

e: Paulocaust, you must take him now. That not so old centre.

They're doing better than they have the past few years. So...not really.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I'm on break at work on my phone, but the Lightning will take center (hockeydb, yahoo and hockey reference have him down as a center) Jeff Skinner. Really young, lots of upside and signed forever. Someone to develop alongside Kane.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Double checked before leaving for work that he hadn't been taken yet, and was still shocked he was on the board.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

mennoknight posted:

thought about him briefly...I think he's more a product of always playing with good players elevating him but what do i know

Loui Eriksson fits that mold far better. His best years were with Richards. He's also older and was taken sooner.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

eXXon posted:

It's "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Kind of like Eberle, except Skinner had a phenomenal rookie season followed by 1.5 seasons of declining production, a serious concussion and an NTC on his long term deal. He's also a winger and not a C.

Well someone sited hockeydb as a source for position, and it along with numerous other sites have him listed as a center. Someone earlier took Benn as a winger, and he's a center, so y'know.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

mennoknight posted:

Bah, I would really like to pick tonighht so I can zone out for a week. That's not happening, is it?

I've spent most of my day waiting to pick and get it over with. This morning when I woke up I was like 6 picks away.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Welp. Looks like I'm picking tomorrow. What a boner killer.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Calm down, I'm here. Give me a bit to survey options and make sure I'm positive.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With the fourth pick the Tampa Bay Lightning opt to continue some strange Atlanta Thrashers Reunion Tour and select Bryan Little.

Position: C,RW
Cap hit: $2,383,333 through 2012-2013

The Lightning organization decided it was probably prudent to select someone who might be a better option at center than Jeff Skinner, as well it would probably be a good idea to draft a guy who is right handed, while decided Kari has done just fine with the flimsiest of defenses for years anyways. Little is a fairly young guy whose production has been on the rise, which is always a positive, outside of this truncated season, which is more an anomaly than anything, really.

Edit: Just when Kane and Little think they've escaped this division, I pull them right back in.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Man, Oshie was heavily on my radar. Almost took him with my Little pick. But anyways, I'll be making my pick momentarily.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
It real life pains me a little to do this but...

With our 5th round pick the Tampa Bay Lightning figure we need a defenseman. Despite picking up a goalie who has proven he can do well enough without. What's that? We should get an offensive defenseman? Brilliant! You're on your own Kari!

Seen here trying to hit someone. Or presenting. It's hard to tell.

Alex Goligoski
Position: D
Contract: 4 years
Cap hit: $4.8 million

Does he look befuddled in his own zone occasionally? Sure. But given the tools we believe he can produce in the offensive end and help out this young front line we've put together. Hopefully we'll be able to anchor him with someone we trust more defensively to cover up some of those shortcomings.

Watching him play in Dallas can be painful at times, but I think he's actually a good player in the right environment.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I figured after picking last night I'd be picking again at some point today, and was ready to apologize for being so late on my pick. And here I am still like 5 picks out.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

myron cope posted:

I'll try it I suppose, if jopo doesn't return by his pick. I wouldn't want to continue doing consensus though if someone else wants to do it.

Please do take over for him. It's such a momentum killer to see I'm two picks off every other round, then have to wait for a day and a half to make my pick.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With our sixth round pick, the Tampa Bay Lightning will select...

Cody Franson! Seen here practicing the ULTIMATE DEFENSE™.

Position: D
Cap hit: $1.2 million through 2012-2013

A big defensemen who can produce in the offensive zone and isn't a liability on the back end? Who has recently been given more minutes and has eaten them up and played well? How the hell is he still on the board? Sign me up!

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

T-Bone posted:

your team is weird

Yeah. I kinda put myself in a hole early, with iffy picks. I wasn't really sure how much of a commodity goalies would be. But y'know.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Paulocaust posted:

e: drat, Fasth was one of the young guys I was hopping would drop far. Still not drafting a goalie for a while though. Fudge that.

He's 30. He's not young at all, I was shocked when I found this out a couple months back.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I actually have a question about the spreadsheet. When I open it on my phone, it had all these awesome useful links to see things sorted by team, and average salaries for that team and remaining cap and all that fancytimes stuff. But they aren't along the top when I'm on the 'ole computerbox. How do I access those whilst on the computer?

E: Nevermind, I'm apparently blind/retarded. It's just along the bottom.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 24, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Yeah, I don't necessarily post a whole lot in this thread, but I'm lurking a lot, and I feel like I've made really timely picks for the most part.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With our 7th round pick and what feels like it just might be the millionth overall the Tampa Bay Lightning select...

Kyle Okposo
Position: RW
Cap hit: $2,800,000 through 2015-2016

I decided to keep the team young with this pick, almost going with another player, but deciding he'd probably already peaked. We needed a right winger, and while he might not be a top level talent now, we're hoping he can figure it out in the next year or two.

E: Sorry I just staggered in from work, I'm kinda tired. I'll give a more in depth explanation later. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

T-Bone posted:

Late 20s hangovers are the worst, that's all I'm saying

Mid 20's hangovers aren't that much better.

• Locked thread