Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Lundqvist/Chara is arguably the two top players at their position. That team gets my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I don't like having around 19 million across 3 players, but there's a lot of cheap options out there if I'm willing to gamble.

I think we'll pretty much all have that though. Or if not, we'll have RFAs who will be due for that in a year.

e: Also yeah I like Lundqvist / Chara too. But it depends what they can do across the forwards now. I think we're still too early to tell in terms of team makeups. Take Lundqvist, lose out on a possible real first line center. And that's a team that is in "win soon" mode, so that's going to be of importance.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eh, maybe I should have drafted Yandle. Toews/Yandle would be a sweet pair for a few playoff runs. But I've got plenty of cap flexibility and I'm confident that I'm not Jay Feaster or Jim Rutherford.

Also, expensive as they are, I don't see many goalies worth their selections besides Lundqvist and Rinne. But we'll see when an otherwise monstrous team gets stuck with L****/M*** (lovely goalies)... okay I can say Karlsson right?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 15, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I may take a bit with this pick. I have absolutely no clue who I want more than the other players I have listed. I would trade this pick if I could, and since I can't, you guys will have to be patient.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After the first and second round this is how the picks have gone (by pairs).

2 pair of centers
2 pair of winger
4 winger + center
4 goalie + center
2 goalie + defenceman
9 center + defenceman
5 winger + defenceman
2 goalie + winger

All told we saw 8 goalies, 21 centers, 15 wingers, and 16 defencemen get picked. The only combos that nobody chose were a pair of goalies and a pair of D. (I'm surprised we saw two pairs of wingers.) Centers were clearly the more prominent picks in the early going.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 15, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
goalie + d is correct and right

hurry up twin cinema you're ruining it for the rest of us

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One thing I've learned from this exercise is that there are very few consistent scoring forwards in the league. So I hope the Leafs can sign Kessel forever next season, even if he is mostly useless at other facets of the game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

eXXon posted:

Eh, maybe I should have drafted Yandle. Toews/Yandle would be a sweet pair for a few playoff runs. But I've got plenty of cap flexibility and I'm confident that I'm not Jay Feaster or Jim Rutherford.

uhh you picked Claude Giroux, not Jonathan Toews. I picked Jonathan Toews and you can't have him.

I prefer Hedman to Yandle too, I think you made the right call there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starsfan posted:

uhh you picked Claude Giroux, not Jonathan Toews. I picked Jonathan Toews and you can't have him.

I prefer Hedman to Yandle too, I think you made the right call there.

Yeah I know dude, I meant I could have had Toews ahead of you and I assume the rest of the draft order would have gone more or less the same. You know, hindsight and all.

Another lesson I've learned is that fans everywhere seem to bitch constantly about players who are outside of the top 30, especially if they are getting paid more than about $3 million.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Yeah I know dude, I meant I could have had Toews ahead of you and I assume the rest of the draft order would have gone more or less the same. You know, hindsight and all.

Another lesson I've learned is that fans everywhere seem to bitch constantly about players who are outside of the top 30, especially if they are getting paid more than about $3 million.

Fans everywhere bitch about everything. Even Crosby has his detractors somehow.

Malkin's show up pretty often in our GDTs.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

With the 62nd pick in the draft, the Dallas Stars select Cam Fowler

To be fair, I haven't watched many Ducks games this season (1? Maybe 2?), so my understanding of Fowler's offensive decline this year is stuff that I have read. People are claiming that it's largely due to bad luck that his offensive production has dropped so far off, but he has made great strides in his two-way game to the point that he's the second best defensive defenseman that Anaheim has (which I guess isn't much of a compliment). He is still generating offense, but it's not showing up on the score sheet. From the few games I have watched, this assessment seems about correct for me, and I have no concern with Fowler going forward. He's a 21 year old dude, which means he is one of the youngest defenseman currently playing int he league, and he is just finishing his third season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

^^Reeeeeeach

There's a couple very obvious 1C's still around (at least 3) that I like and if one of them falls to the Lundqvist/Chara team, watch out

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wow. That is really early for Fowler imo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
doop get rid of that before i hunt you down and kill you

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Verviticus posted:

e-fight me

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
You idiots are supposed to be keeping the teams who didnt draft a centre from drafting a centre.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well Fowler has scored half as many points this season as anyone drafted so far so uh glad to see him go!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow Fowler already?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Well Fowler has scored half as many points this season as anyone drafted so far so uh glad to see him go!

Come on now, he at least has outscored the goalies. We haven't drafted _____ yet.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
fowler was on my list too. then again;, of my ten next choices, I also have ten d so w/e

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, are we judging players based entirely on their 2013 season?

I had a list of defensemen, I compared him to the others, he was the best still available in terms of current skill and future potential. There were three other guys I heavily considered.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Hell no, I'd rather consider the full 2011-2012 campaign alongside the 2013 season.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Fowlers one of maybe 4 players on the Ducks who wow me every night and yeah it's a reach but I can think of maybe 1 or 2 young Dmen I'd take over Fowler. I know it's a little homery but Fowler in 2 years is gonna look like guys like Yandle and Voynov look now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Still on my phone, I'm grabbing Bobby Ryan. Lets keep this draft moving.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
e: ^^^ Big but not insane contract, awesome player.

You can judge them however you want.

His biggest scoring downfall is that he isn't producing on the PP. He gets the most minutes on his team for a D, and he just isn't producing.

Last year was also a big dropoff in scoring for him, it's the trend that worries people I think.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I should have went into this with the sole strategy of drafting ex-London Knights players.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

elmer fud posted:

Still on my phone, I'm grabbing Bobby Ryan. Lets keep this draft moving.

If only he had fallen 30 more places. Well now I have to completely reasses! Good thing I have a week.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ryan is an excellent pick. Was hoping to get him in the 3rd.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Everyone wanted Ryan probably. Now I have to come up with a new pick.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Fowlers one of maybe 4 players on the Ducks who wow me every night and yeah it's a reach but I can think of maybe 1 or 2 young Dmen I'd take over Fowler. I know it's a little homery but Fowler in 2 years is gonna look like guys like Yandle and Voynov look now.

Yeah, from what I have seen, it's mystifying as to why Fowler isn't showing up on the score sheet more often. He's still prone to mistakes, but that comes with being 21. I fully expect him to get back on track next year, as he has all the makings of a great player.

Plus, I don't pick for another 60 picks, so I had to reach a bit, especially after the run on young D.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm just wondering what kind of players have had careers like that - storming out of the gate as rookies, 18 year old or otherwise, but having their production go way down even as their team gets better. Did any of them rebound?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, from what I have seen, it's mystifying as to why Fowler isn't showing up on the score sheet more often. He's still prone to mistakes, but that comes with being 21. I fully expect him to get back on track next year, as he has all the makings of a great player.

Plus, I don't pick for another 60 picks, so I had to reach a bit, especially after the run on young D.

He still hasn't scored this year, and that's kind of crazy. Between him Vatanen and Lindholm (can I say this?) anaheims defender core looks very, very bright.

^^^its not thatFowlers been worse, he's taking less risks and his defensive game has gotten really good. His first season was really I'm gonna score goals in the NHL! Whereas now he's making the right play almost ever time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I honestly did not expect Ryan to drop so far. I wanted buff though. You win some you lose some I guess.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Bobby Ryan was going to be my pick.

Well, back to the drawing board.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

I'm just wondering what kind of players have had careers like that - storming out of the gate as rookies, 18 year old or otherwise, but having their production go way down even as their team gets better. Did any of them rebound?

I am off to go watch Game of Thrones/Mad Men/SNL/Louis C.K. from last night, but quickly, here is a list of defensemen aged 18/19 (because Hockey-Reference counts the season as 19 if the player turns 19 during the season) with 25 or more points: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...order_by=points

I think he's in pretty good company, but I don't really have much time to go through the list. It could all just be an aberration and he could be out of the league next year, who knows?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

I don't know what he wrote, but if I know you, I think you're going to be disappointed after my pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit more along the lines of what you'd need to look at. I only went back to 1994, looking for rookie seasons where the guy put up .4 PPG as a D and played at least 42 games (more than 50% of a season).

27 guys on the list.

The closest comparables to his first three seasons are probably Marcus Ragnarsson, Keith Ballard, Travis Harmonic, and maybe Jason Demers and Zach Bogosian.

Sorry bro who likes Fowler. Ragnarsson played 600 games at least.

Also I love that tool.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Twin Cinema posted:

Crosby/Eberle
Tavares/Yandle
Lundqvist/Chara
Getzlaf/Suter
Duchene/Doughty

Not including my own team, these are the top 5 tandems so far (in no order). Best picks of round 2 were Yandle at #55, Perry at #43 and Chara at #45. Biggest reaches were Semin at #48, Voynov at #53 and Bobrovsky at 58.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Stop posting about people who havent been drafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Paulocaust posted:

Not including my own team, these are the top 5 tandems so far (in no order). Best picks of round 2 were Yandle at #55, Perry at #43 and Chara at #45. Biggest reaches were Semin at #48, Voynov at #53 and Bobrovsky at 58.

Number One Cop is never a reach :colbert:

• Locked thread