Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just bought a couple of songs songs from the actual Rock Band store, then rebooted with my "customs" USB stick. It did a full cache rebuild when I got to the main menu - is this a normal occurrence after buying DLC, or is there something somewhere else that I did wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've noticed a few customs that technically work, but display no album art or difficulty ratings in the menu. And the audio sample usually starts after a long delay, and always from the very beginning of the song. In the examples I've noticed, the name format is different when viewed in the Xbox storage settings ("Artist -- Title", instead of "Title" or Artist - Title without quotes). Is this a specific bug, or just the author leaving stuff out?

For reference, I've seen this in "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits and a handful of NIN customs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kaboobi posted:

2 things:
Party in the USA was never actually released, it was included but blocked out in the first release of the Miley Cyrus pack (it didn't include license flag or something and just didn't display it in the song list iirc), so it couldn't be played until your Xbox was modded, which ignores the license flag. They replaced it with a fixed pack later that day I think, that just removed the actual song data.

Dani California and Black Hole Sun are unplayable in RB3 unless you have TU5, they won't work on retail or TU1-4.
Interesting, I forgot all about TU5 re-adding those songs. Now I'm curious about previously playable songs. Is there a group like GHtoRB3 that focuses on those? An "RB3toRB3" project, I guess?:v:

btw, what were the changes included in Title Updates 1-4? I've been curious as to whether I'm correctly playing with TU4, or just a completely unpatched version of the game.

pksage posted:

Almost certainly the latter.
Ah, I figured.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thank you! Seems like "back button for vocal overdrive" will be the easiest way to test this.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Also, I have Dani California and Black Hole Sudden added to my cache through TU5, then reverted back to TU4, and they are still playable. So for those using customs it's a simple workaround.
Oh nice. What's the method for that? Add TU5 to my "custom" stick, build the cache on the stick, delete TU5 and then rebuild cache on the same stick?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Also, I have Dani California and Black Hole Sudden added to my cache through TU5, then reverted back to TU4, and they are still playable. So for those using customs it's a simple workaround.
Chiming in again to say I got this working. Thanks for mentioning it! What I did was just delete the cache from my custom stick, and copy my TU5-based cache onto it. Booted up with my custom stick and the game filled out the rest of the cache with my customs (instead of creating a "custom" cache from scratch like I had done before). Not sure if that's exactly the method you were talking about, but I can confirm that it works!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
EDIT ^^^^^^
Yeah go to Xbox storage settings, you'll find a "folder" for Rock Band under the Games section. The file is alphabetically listed as "Rock Band Title Update" and you can simply move it to removable storage to get rid of it.

whypick1 posted:

Probably not
No
Just need to download a copy of TU4 (which can be easily found) and make sure no copy of TU5 is present on any of your storage devices
Just roll with it man

I'll add that you can move TU5 to your USB device in the Xbox storage settings, which makes a program like Party Buffalo easier to use since you'll already have the directories that you need all set up.

And you can't take the game online with TU4 anyway, so you don't need to worry about being "found out" or anything once you're all set up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

Oh, and before I forget, I'd like some more opinions on this. There exists a project that has ported songs from The Beatles: Rock Band to work as RB3 customs, and we can't decide whether to roll that into C3 or not. On one side of the argument: We want all high-quality customs to be in one place, we're already hosting GH conversions, and if we're gonna get a C&D we'll get one whether or not we're hosting TBRB songs. On the other side (the side that I am on): We want to respect Harmonix with this project, it's not that hard to Google for the Beatles customs as it is, and Harmonix cares so deeply about TBRB in particular that hosting those songs makes us about twice as likely to get a notice from them. What do you guys think?
I'm for leaving things the way they are now. I'm brand new at this customs thing (Saturday was my first time), and I've already got the TBRB stuff figured out and the proper bookmarks set. If I can do it, anyone savvy enough to be posting in this thread can. No need to rock the boat further IMO.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Feels good to not only have "Dani California"/"Black Hole Sun" running on TU4, but to have them both with harmony upgrades. :smug:

Wasn't sure if I could achieve both, but glad to see that it's possible! So now I can run RB3 with custom songs, RBHP upgrades, Dani California/Black Hole Sun intact, and the save file with my created characters (although I'm not sure about scores). If anyone's having trouble with this, feel free to ask questions and I'll take a stab at it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I encountered some HOPO notes immediately following like-colored regular notes in a custom I was just playing (e.g. strumming green and having a green HOPO note right after it). Is that one of those things that isn't supposed to happen? I haven't studied charting protocol, but it felt wrong as soon as I played it. Probably an artifact of the Guitar Hero translation, in this case. If it is indeed wrong I'll try to leave feedback through the appropriate channels.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way to open up an existing RB3con file and check/uncheck flags in the metadata? Might play around with the song rating flag (FF/SR/M) if that's possible. I'm guessing you can't do anything once a finished con file has been compiled, but figured I'd check.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Fascinating stuff!:cheers: So is RB3maker the program that could examine these flags in an existing con, or should I be looking at something else? Just installed RB3maker but it's pretty barren-looking as far as UI goes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have just over 300 customs on my stick now and Party Buffalo is still playing nice with everything. Been checking newly-added songs in the actual game to make sure they show up each time. I'll cross my fingers I guess.

Which program is it that actually opens a con file to view the metadata and stuff? Is it that Fluffy thing? And then I use RB3maker to put it all back together?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

And we've released every single GHtoRB3 back catalog song, which is a total of 185 more songs.
GHtoRB3 tracks haven't been changed in any way, correct? So if I had downloaded them from a central GHtoRB3 document over the past few weeks, I should have the same files that are now being linked via C3? I know there a few tracks that are still considered unofficial over there, so I'm wondering if any of those have been "updgraded" as part of this release.

In any case, this is awesome. Thanks!

This rules too! :rock:

EDIT VVVVVV ok great, thanks for confirming!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 19, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I need title update 5 to play them, to be connected to the rock band servers? Lame. Or download the licenses again I guess but I don't know how to do that.
It's a 2-step process. Step 1 is really easy, just do the "license transfer" which is a single button press in the Xbox dashboard (poke around in the "Settings" tab and you'll find it). Basically this flags your current Xbox as the new "original" Xbox for all content under your profile.

Step 2 is to actually re-download a piece of content so that your current/primary Xbox realizes it's there. Unlike the license transfer, this step needs to be repeated for each piece of DLC that had been purchased on a different Xbox. It's a pain, but fortunately each download is really quick since it technically just re-downloads the license, which is tiny.

I did this recently. Step 2 wasn't so bad since I just went to Xbox.com on my laptop and queued things up with my download history (you can queue about 30 items at a time).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 21, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

So I lied! And also figured out a solution of sorts.

First; from what I can tell there is a limit of 256 files in a given folder in the USB programs that I've tried. This limit does not exist on the console itself. This method of renaming the folders doesn't really change that; the reason I thought it did was because I missed a bunch of files adding my second time through.

So my solution is to leave the big USB stick on the 360 at all times, and have a smaller one to load up with new stuff, then copy it over on the 360. Dumb, but it works!
For some reason, I've injected about 370 files now and have yet to encounter this issue. Anyone know why that might be? I'd like to help people out, but I'm not sure what I'm actually doing differently that's allowing me to sidestep the issue.

I've been injecting via Party Buffalo this entire time, into the same original save folder. The songs all show up in the Xbox storage menu in the dashboard. If I load up Rock Band with my regular save and then reboot with my customs save, my in-game song library increases by 370+, just like it should. Any ideas?

I've seen this issue reported on multiple forums, so it seems pretty widespread.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Had some friends over tonight. Started our RB3 setlist with "This Boy." Felt great. Thanks, Orange Harrison! :cheers:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I'm noodling around with a songs.dta for the first time. Right now I just want to "tidy up" a con I found that had some cosmetic gaffes (no album art, no difficulty tiers listed, stuff like that).

I'm seeing the line "('game_origin' 'rb2')" near the end of the file. Can I just remove that entirely, or should it be replaced with something else? Also, could I change the song ID to something more intuitive?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Played around with the modified Le Fluffie posted on that site. Successfully added in-game album art to a custom that didn't have any!:woop: Fixed some metadata too.

What would I need to modify lyrics in an existing file? Are they part of the .mid or are they stored somewhere else? Do I need Reaper for that? Curious how far I can go in this without having to buy some pro software.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 30, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

That's in the MIDI, easily editable with REAPER (whose trial version is free forever). Extract the MIDI from the CON, import it to REAPER (there are guides on google for this if you need help), open PART VOCALS or HARM1/HARM2/HARM3, find the lyric on the bottom, fix it, re-export the MIDI (be sure to embed tempo map), replace it in the CON, done!
Awesome! Should I be loading the "Custom RB3 Template" first, or is MIDI importing a more direct thing?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

The latter. Step A:

Step 2:

Thanks! I'm definitely getting MIDI files open at this point. Still can't find lyrics anywhere though... most I got was a chart that had "Phrase" markers. It was on the bottom half of the screen, kinda split horizontally into two parts. Hmm. I should probably check out a tutorial or something, the amount of options in Reaper is pretty daunting!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ah, "Text Events," that was the setting I needed. Thanks!

EDIT: I see that the lyrics themselves appear to be attached to those green bars. I see a lot of these shadowy red bars as well, that don't seem to be associated with any words. What are those about?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I love this product. Strum bar is little clickier than a RB2 guitar, but you get used to it fast. You can also use one "half" of the strum bar and play it like a regular controller just fine, if you wish.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Another Reaper question: how exactly should I be saving the modified MIDI? I've been using the "Export Project MIDI" command, but when I swap the resulting file with the original .mid and rebuild in Le Fluffie, the package shows up as corrupt in the Xbox dashboard. Tried the process again to make sure the only thing I changed in the package was replacing the .mid file, still no dice.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Holy poo poo, and that comes with the Pro Guitar (bass? is there a difference in plastic instruments?). I wish we had that sale.
It's not a Pro controller. "Precision Bass" just means it has a split strum bar and thumb rest for "authentic two-finger bass plucking," in regular 5-lane gameplay.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

I saw you ask this on The Other Forum, sorry I didn't answer you there.

Your export MIDI window should look like this (note "embed tempo map"):

Otherwise, the problem may be your tool. Try replacing in Modio or one of the other tools; the new Le Fluffie still has some bugs.
Heh, thanks. I think a Le Fluffie bug might be to blame like you said.

First I saved the MIDI with edits and made sure to do it exactly as you described. Replaced with Le Fluffie, rebuilt, still showed up as corrupt.

Then I opened the original MIDI in Reaper again and saved it, this time without making any changes to it. Replaced with Le Fluffie and still ended up corrupt.

Finally I used Le Fluffie to extract the MIDI from the con, then "replaced" the MIDI with the same exact file (no Reaper involvement at all). Theoretically it was the exact same con, but it showed up as corrupt.

Later on I'll try to create a package from scratch with an edited MIDI and see if that produces different results. Come to think of it, that's how I did my first experiment with the album art, since the con I was editing had no album art file to use the "replace" function on. Maybe replacing things is bugged?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

Are you waiting a good 15 seconds before closing everything? It takes awhile to rebuild and there's no progress bar to indicate this. If you're impatient you'll get corrupt files.
I always wait for it to say "Contents loaded" at the bottom. That means it finished rebuilding and then re-opened the fresh package, right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Douwe posted:

maybe I'll have to set up a separate live account after ruining my current one with customs (right?).
If your console itself isn't modded I think you're in the clear. The game can only go online with Title Update 5, and if you have Title Update 5 then the game can't read your customs. I doubt current-gen Live has the infrastructure in place to detect what you're worried about otherwise.
EDIT better read the post below me!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 3, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
^^^^^ I... uh-oh.:stare: I've kept my save file on the HDD, and only the Title Updates, A/V settings, and song caches on two separate memory devices. I've booted in TU5 a couple of times since then, although I don't think I've actually played through an entire song. So maybe it wouldn't have contacted Rock Central? Not sure how that works.

Theoretically, what's the turnaround time supposed to be like between Microsoft being tipped off and an actual ban being handed out?:ohdear:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ha okay, thanks for reassuring me about the MS ban hammer.

Back to my Le Fluffie issues -- it's funny, I think I had just broken the program somehow. Today I installed the new version released on The Other Forum, and everything I was trying to do before just works now. No more corrupt files.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Finally took care of something that's been bugging the hell out of me for a while:
The official DLC "Wings of a Butterfly" was attributed to "HIM" rather than "H.I.M.", so the songs would sort under different artists in the song library. Thanks to Le Fluffie, I managed to convert the DLC to a custom so I could edit the .dta file. Fixed the artist name in the .dta, rebuilt the package, and now everything sorts properly. So I won't be able to play that song online or in Blitz, but my :spergin: sensibilities are satisfied.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

It's possible to edit that sort of metadata with the same format the Harmonies project uses to edit stuff, which would allow you to still use it online.

Orange Harrison posted:

Yeah, you could have just changed the artist name in your song cache, which governs your library list without affecting any actual DLC files. Sings in the cache are tied to the right files with a "song id" which is just a filename or a string of numbers, so you could change up artist names and even song names and it wouldn't break anything.
Ah, that would definitely be the ideal solution then! What program do I use to edit the cache file?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

You can probably use lefluffie to look inside it and extract a .dta, or if you're feeling courageous just open the file in notepad directly. I did that to my save file once and found out all your art is saved as some kind of plaintext asciiart instead of... you know.. an image.
Hmm, hitting a wall with this for now. Here are the scenarios I got out of this:
- LeFuffie crashes trying to extract the contents of my cache
- I modify the cache file directly with notepad, but after I save it is no longer recognized as a con (can't open in LeFluffie, gives me a corrupt file in the dash if I try to inject it)
- I extract the entire cache package, try modifying the "songcache" that pops out with notepad, and then build a NEW package from scratch. This new cache is recognized in the dash, but RB3 now crashes on bootup.

In all cases, when I edited with notepad I just replaced the one instance of "HIM" with "H.I.M." I never did find a .dta file to edit, could that be the problem? Do I need Modio for this? So far I've just used LeFluffie far extracting file contents and rebuilding pakcages, and Party Buffalo for getting things onto the USB drive.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

I don't know why it's being so uncooperative. You could instead modify the .dta inside the actual DLC you wanted to "fix", then rebuild your cache; Rock Band 3 will then make a new entry that mirrors whatever you put in the dta.
Would that work on an unmodded Xbox? I was under the impression that repackaged DLC files would need a J-tag console.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

So I'm going to attempt to rename some songs for my cache to better organize stuff using the RBHP method.

Any idea what the most elegant solution would be for taking all the non-RB3 versions I can't delete 'cause they're in packs, to keep them out of their main area? IE, I'm basically thinking of just putting them all under an artist titled "zzzz Don't Play" or the like so they sort at the very bottom; is there a better option?

(Obviously this is for Title Update 4 where 1 lighter isn't an option.)
Could a song's rating (i.e. "Family Friendly", "Supervision Recommended", etc.) be modified in the cache file? And if so, would that override an individual song's .dta info when viewing the library?

I had an idea where you could play with song ratings so that only the songs you want to hide are listed as "unrated" (you'd have to go and add ratings for RBN and some customs). You could then go into your library options and filter out the unrated tracks. Boom, same functionality as hiding 1-lightered songs!

btw, how did you go about editing your cache file? Were you able to just modify in notepad? Was Le Fluffie involved?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 6, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

A song's .dta is only used once for writing to the cache, and then the cache is always referenced from then on, so yeah, whatever the cache says overrides what the actual song file's dta says. This goes all the way to loading and playing a song (I noticed this when testing customs and one still had a tonic vocal scale even though the version loaded had no tonic information; RB3 was loading the song using the cache which was built around a different copy of the song with more features).
If you waned to edit songs' ratings the value breakdown is 1 = Family Friendly, 2 = Supervision recommended, 3 = Mature (doesn't work), 4 = Unrated.
"Mature" is disabled/unfinished; using value "3" will make the song appear as "Unrated."
What's this about the Mature rating? I am 100% certain you can filter songs by it. I've actually re-rated some customs as mature (using .dta files for individual songs), and then used the in-game library filter to test. I've currently got 7 manually-rated "mature" songs showing up.

Or are you saying that you can't use the "3" rating when directly editing the cache file? I wouldn't know much about that since I haven't figured out manual cache editing yet. But if you edit a single song's .dta, a 3 definitely works!

Anyway, that's really interesting to hear about the interplay between .dta and cache. So if you wanted to go to the trouble of rating any unrated songs, you could reserve that "4" rating for songs you wanted to hide. Neato!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

If that's the case, then that means 100% of the Mature songs I own aren't flagged correctly. :v:
I downloaded a couple "mature" tracks but they always appeared as "Unrated" and a "mature" filter still doesn't show up in my library options. :(
I personally haven't made a song that required a "mature" rating, I assumed that the people releasing songs that are overtly branded "mature" (including on C3) would have had the in-game setting done right.
I'm sure the C3 dudes have their hands full with the important stuff, but yeah, their "mature" labeling has been off. They listed "Given Up" by Linkin Park as Mature, but it doesn't show up that way in game (and the actual song audio is the clean version anyway :v:). Meanwhile, the GHtoRB3 files for "Creeping Death" and "Trapped Under Ice" show up as Mature in-game for some reason. I manually changed those myself.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Basically, I did the same thing the RBHP guys do. I made a songs.dta, copied the official data from the songs.dta of that same track, modified what I wanted to, and then put my modified dta into a BRAND NEW blank file in Le Fluffie. All it contains is the song.dta in the songs folder. Then I delete the original songs from the hard drive, load up the dummy file, and voila--it loads up the new information, with a blank album art, and doesn't allow you to play it--then re-download/re-put on the official DLC pack, re-load it, and it will reload all of the other songs in the pack, fill in the album art and playability (not that you need that) for the previously dummied file, while keeping all the rest of the information.

You could modify pretty much anything with this; I'm not sure how album art is stored so possibly not that? Someone smarter should answer this one for me.
:aaaaa: Fascinating! Have you been doing a separate dummy package for each song, or can you just dump the text from multiple .dta files into one long mess in notepad, then rebuild a single upgrade thingy (which I guess is what RBHP does... although they simply direct to new MIDIs rather than change metadata like we're talking about)? Would either method work? Does the name of the .dta file(s) matter or does RB just load up whatever it finds in that format?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

I tried doing it all at once and it didn't work. (To be specific; only the first few worked and it just ignored the rest.) I think it might be because, RBHP puts them all in the same format, while older DLC are in different formats, so different formats don't mix or something. So to make it easiest I would say do a seperate one for each pack you're modifying.
Thanks for the tips!

I played with this tonight and I've got it partially working. My edited song data remains in the in-game libary after the rest of the cache rebuilds, but album art is missing (the white square, like in the RBHP setup), no audio preview plays, and the songs don't actually load up when you try to start them. I'm guessing I need to add some kind of file path info to the dummy .dta files?

pksage posted:

I am personally responsible for 100% of those ratings, which are done at the last minute before shoving a blog post out the door. I "sanitize" the data a bit so that the DB looks more consistent than the actual data is. :ssh:

Given Up was my bad, though, thanks for the catch! (fixed)
haha cool. Thanks for all you're doing man!!:cheers:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

That's the dummy data. After you load that, then you add the regular DLC back in, having both files present at once. Load that in, and it will load the rest of the data back in. After that, then you can delete the dummy file, as everything is now permanently stored in your cache (unless you delete the songs again or delete your cache.)
Ah of course! Okay, I deleted my dummy data and now everything works. :hellyeah:

Got some more work to do before I'm finished, but now I can filter by song rating and get only these results:

Those songs are "unrated" now. So if I filter out the unrated songs, it will be like I still have the "Hide 1-Lighter songs" option from Title Update 5!

EDIT: Was there a different format for rating RB1 songs? I couldn't find the rating value anywhere in "Wanted Dead Or Alive," and when I added it manually in the dummy .dta the game ignored it. At least RB1 songs can just be deleted individually if nothing else works.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2013

• Locked thread