Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

DancinBrud posted:

PS. Is farottone some sort of charting robot or what?

10 print "NO"
20 print "HE IS NOT"
30 GO TO 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Kaboobi posted:

Seriously what kind of wizard magic are you doing because you are insane

I probably just put in a few more hours than others. :)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Orgophlax posted:

You missed the best dream song for your pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IivGqwQvdCI

Just replying to explain the rationale for my packs, in case anyone should ever wonder. I don't start with the theme and work my way back, in which case the "That would have been a good choice" objection would be fitting. I author songs on a regular basis, so I have a nice chunk of unreleased songs from which I choose what to release (last count was ca. 160). When it's not albums, albums related or artist packs or singles I take a look at what I have and think "What's a good commono denominator for a few of these songs?". In this case I had a bunch of Rod Stewart songs, a bunch of Supertramp songs and a bunch of 80s pop songs. 3 of those shared the "Dream" theme, so I went with it. That's how the "Right Pack" and almost all other packs I did were born.

tl;dr I'm sorry if a good song from a theme I choose is missing but I choose the theme from the songs, not the songs from a theme.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Orgophlax posted:

I was simply speaking in jest, I didn't mean to get the ball rolling with more "aww man, THIS should've been in!" We all appreciate the work you guys do.

I'm genuinely sorry that it came off as "you shouldn't criticize", I just took the chance to explain how I compose those packs, I wasn't implying you don't appreciate the songs we do. It was more of a way to explain why you may get a theme pack missing obvious choices if you start building a pack from the theme and not viceversa as I do.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I think when he first did this one way back when, there was the Potato Wave version released along side it.

Yes. That's saved for a future pack. :) Also, I really spent an hour or so trying to make out two phrases that really were awkward to sing the way all lyrics sites have them transcribed. I think what I came up with is closer to how those phrases sound, and since it's a guesswork anyway, I think what I did makes sense ("I don't wanna wait on a box or the bag", and "I don't know whether there was a box or the bag"). It's also more in tune with the military theme of the song, as Vedder explained.

If I fudged up, sorry, but even my native English speaking friends had a hard time understanding what goes on. :D

tl;dr Pearl Jam, wooo!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Tsietisin posted:

Is this the full version with the awesome awesome piano piece at the end?

This is the PowerGig version. It's a bit shorter and a bit more guitar centric during the piano section and with a bit quieter drums but it's multitrack and it's probably just missing only a minute of the piano section. And by PowerGig version I mean the audio tracks, not the charts.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Allen Wren posted:

Finally got customs working over here (it was literally just a question of using software other than PB. oh well.) But I dunno what the deal is, Yellow Ledbetter is just way off. Like, the vocal chart is about half a bar late at least compared to Vedder's vocals. Is this something where I should try redownloading, or is there a thing I should poke at? We've run calibration and everything else seems to be playing fine.

Redownload it. The original release had this issue, that has now been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Can you post a picture of the Party Buffalo window? With no hard disk in and only the USB stick inserted, it can only be a problem in how/where you're uploading files. Also, the constant adding of n "new songs" is nothing, I have 3 dummies being reloaded every time for no reason, so that's not the issue (though it may provide information on what it's actually loading).

Also, check within the Xbox system that under Rock Band 3 (or Rock Band, can't remember) you can see those customs on your USB stick.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Definitely wrong folder, it should go in the 0000... Saved Game subfolder, not in the one you have one. You will also notice there's no songcache file in the folder in your screenshot: if you moved it to your USB stick from inside the Xbox system, you will find it in the 0000... subfolder.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

pksage posted:

In between. GH uses MIDI like Rock Band does (it's the obvious choice), so it's a matter of porting it to the Rock Band MIDI format, which includes re-charting bass charts that use open notes and stuff like that. I believe GHtoRB3 always did exact 1:1 ports when possible, but C3 is OK with making changes if we think Neversoft messed up (which isn't terribly often).

Pro drums markers and fills missing Y notes are the main offenders, probably: that takes going through the whole song and fixing note by note.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Never had an issue with more than 256 songs. I use Party Buffalo and if Party Buffalo acts funny I use Horizon.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Speaking of Don't You (Forget About Me), we're now pretty close to having the entire The Mix radio station from Saints Row 2 in Rock Band. I think the only songs we're missing are Hall & Oates' Out of Touch and Culture Club's Karma Chameleon.

fake edit: Duran Duran's The Reflex as well.

Interesting.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
pksage was the best thing to happen to C3 after its formation, so good that it seems like he's been there forever. You here have probably been with the guy more than I am but I just wanted to confirm that he is a class act and the guy who makes all of us look so good on release day and all week 'round.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I think finding a non-Mad Catz version of RB3 would be the harder part.

eBay is your friend. Also, the keyboard bundle can now be found at very cheap prices.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Best thing about Last Christmas is I authored that back in August, so my music/emotion clock was all messed up, dreaming of a white Xmas during a heat wave.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Nyxyxylyth posted:

Seems like you'll be needing some more party-appropriate songs.

Gosh darn it, I really wished we had thought of doing a release for New Year's Eve...

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

ApexAftermath posted:

I don't understand why this is an issue in the first place because in order to use customs you have to decline the title update which signs you out of Xbox Live anyways. I think you're going to have this issue no matter what.

This is why you should have just bit the bullet and done this back when you got a new hard drive or console or whatever you did that caused licenses to not be attached correctly anymore.

This also applies to whenever you don't have an Internet connection. My "Rock Band room" had Internet connection problems a few years ago and that's when I discovered the license thing.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

ElwoodCuse posted:

"You will die a terrible, terrible death.

Do you have a song request?"

"IT'S RAINING MEN! "

Halleujah! And Happy New Year from old Europe (in 15 minutes...)!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
I always do these songs (that I do because I love them) like Evidence, like In a Broken Dream, and I think "who even knows these songs and who is gonna bother downloading them?", and then people are enthusiastic about them, go figure. :) Glad you liked it!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Today is gonna be fun.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Minidust posted:

Specific hype from a C3 author on Friday is the best/worst tease. Bring it on. :allears:

I SO did NOT hype anything. :) I just said it's gonna be a fun day. :D

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Kaboobi posted:

WHAT ARE YOU RELEASING FAROTTONE

I am distancing myself from the other stuff released this week. :D

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
All kidding aside, the guys who did Wrecking Ball worked on it, literally, night and day to have it done on time, I'm so proud of the job they did.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Over The Road posted:

Just filled out the survey whilst downloading some of this week's new customs. How do you plan on using the results?

Mostly for the audio portion and for the difficulty level to understand how many people actually play lower difficulties.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
http://customscreators.com/faq

Rhythm?! What is that? How do we play with 3 guitars?!

Sometimes an author may choose to do an alternative version of a song and assign the lead guitar to guitar and rhythm guitar to keys (if there are no keys otherwise in the song) or bass. Playing rhythm on bass has no requirements. Playing rhythm on the keyboard neither. However, playing rhythm on keys on a guitar requires the following:
Either 5-star 50 songs on medium or 3-star 50 songs on hard or expert. Once you do that you unlock the ability to play keys on guitar.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

El Destructo posted:

The C3 website lists your Across the Universe custom as a full multitrack, but the original vocals were not muted even though I had the Vocal Track level turned down to zero. Did the C3 website post an older version...

Just to clear up how this works, we (as collective administrators) don't post anything, authors do.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

pksage posted:

This decision had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Kaboobi is letting me crash with him for PAX, nope.

*Cough* sellout *cough*

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

DancinBrud posted:

Daft Punk 6-pack is going to be huge at parties. And I love that Cranberries song AND I love Ash. Great week! Thanks, authors!

So, summarizing, you love everything about this week except for my song. I HAS FEELINGS TOO!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

DancinBrud posted:

It's just that I'm unfamiliar with your song. So, by broadening my musical horizons, you're in some ways the true hero of this week!

That's me, true hero!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

Yes. It's a file limit. It doesn't check to see how many objects are in the files.

Although really, just use two sticks. Copy 255 files onto one hard drive, put both in the 360, copy from it to the main one, rinse, repeat.

Or, use Party Buffalo, and if and when you hit that bug, switch one time to Horizon. Transfer, then go back to Party Buffalo for good. I probably have 500+ files right now.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Couple of things...

PS3 is now supported, is it possible to update the opening post?

And then, Nemo sends his regards and this short infomercial:

quote:

C3 CON Tools offers a comprehensive approach to managing your setlist. You can import your song cache, and then customize it in a variety of ways. You can find duplicates, move featured artists to the song name, remove extra markers like (Live) and (RB3 version), etc. You can rename songs or artists to group together, fix any incorrect metadata, etc. There's a ton of options.
Setlist Manager creates a .setlist file that stays with your installation of C3 CON Tools, so you don't need to keep the song cache file around. The latest version of C3 CON Tools includes an option to lock the Setlist Manager interface so you can leave it up as an interactive setlist during a party without the fear of anyone messing up your setlist.
Finally, Setlist Manager allows you to export your setlist in one of 5 pre-formatted PDF styles, one of 3 pre-formatted Excel styles, or to CSV. All of these can be customized, from the font used, to headers, borders, and colors used, for virtually hundreds of possible combinations. All in a couple of clicks.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Since you are a public of fine connoisseurs, I wanna share with you that next week's release (my portion at least) is something I am extremely proud of. It will probably make only a small subset of the community happy but it is something that makes me really proud.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, NiN and Brad Sucks seem to be two bands (one man bands) willing to put up their songs as remixable tracks, which I imagine would make things like multitracks super easy to do.

Yep, "super easy" is EXACTLY how I would have describe my 3 months ordeal with Images & Words. :D

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Same method though? Remix tracks or did you do some witchery with a 5.1 release or such?

5.1 releases are so useless it's not even funny. I know this is not such a well guarded secret (not even in this thread...) but I still don't feel comfortable openly discussing the source. It's great that they were available and in such a good condition (I was able to properly mix the ending for Take the Time to avoid the fade out, the same for Learning to Live).

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I just watched the Images and Words video and what's up with the animations for Wait For Sleep? The vocalist is freaking the gently caress out

It may have slipped past PT, I'll check it later.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I know dick all about how the animations work but my guess would be that it's using the BPM from the song('s charts) which could be really fast, combined with possibly an inappropriate animation setting (ie, the song is pretty somber but it could be set to rock or metal or whatever the options are).

Yeah, I have a basic understanding of what goes on in RB3 animations, I think I can track this down. ;)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Trash Boat posted:

drat, even by the standards of your already stellar track record, you really outdid yourself this week farottone. Easily one of the absolute best weeks since C3 started, as well as one of the most consistantly fun albums on guitar that I can recall in the game (even if I did fail out on half of the songs on sightread).

I was actually surprised by how *fun* the album was. I feared it would have been stupidly impossible and thus frustrating, but except for pro keys (which require a skill set quite above the norm) it's actually really fun, yes. It's mighty challenging but satisfying nonetheless. Glad you liked it!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Necroblashyrkh posted:

Well for what it's worth I found the majority of pro keys quite fun. There were only a few unreasonably tough and un-sightreadable parts in riff / melody type of stuff and only the solos were really ridiculous, even though at least I don't really see myself as an elite pro-keys player.

By the way, I'm not sure if I've said this before but I really appreciate that you guys have kept consistently supporting pro keys in the releases. It must be a big additional workload for a relatively small audience (I imagine).

Sadly, yes, there are authors (Billy Joel and Elton John in example) that we routinely evaluate and then give up authoring because pro keys. I have a pack from a ginormous act that is sitting on my HD since July 2012 because it's missing pro keys...

Good to hear Images & Words is fairly accessible on pro keys too then. :)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

~Coxy posted:

In unrelated news, I somehow managed to find an Ion Drum Rocker in Australia.
It's really fun to try Pro Drums for the first time, but what do I need to get a third cymbal? Can I wander into a music store and get something that will clamp on and work with the brain?

Any single zone cymbal will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Please bear with me while I channel TrojanNemo...

Here we go:

quote:

Setlist Manager in C3 CON Tools works with both RB3 and RBB cache files. The RBB cache file contains considerably less information than the RB3 counterpart.
As pksage said, there's a lot of stuff in the RB3 cache we still don't understand what it's for, and even if we understood the file structure 100%, accessing all the songs, exports, and on-disc upgrades to recreate the cache properly is on the level of unlikely Over 9000.

If you want more than 2952 songs, "easiest" way is to modify the RB3 game itself. The limit is a hard coded 3000 (PS3/Xbox) or 1000 (Wii) integer in one of the .dtb files (3000 - 48 trainers = 2952 usable songs). So you change that value, put the game files back together, and knock yourself out...on a jtag console.

The official HMX response was that beyond 3000 songs you get memory leak issues that create undesirable behavior in the game.

Long time ago I learned to live with less songs. Between official DLC (I have it all), RBN (I have a few hundred) and customs I have over 4000 songs on my computer, but 2952 on my Xbox...because there's no way I can actually play all those songs at once, even if the game would support it.
So change things around every once in a while and enjoy the game for what it is.

/ TrojanNemo out

• Locked thread