Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Eh! Frank posted:

I wasn't going to post this in here, because I (normally) have a lot of respect for this person. But I need an outsider's opinion.

I posted these two links together on facebook:
http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/56467925777/14-year-old-womens-rights-activist-attacked-online
http://www.xojane.com/issues/billy-cain-tuesday-cain-jesus-isnt-a-dick-so-keep-him-out-of-my-vagina

This family-member comes in and makes the following comments:

Now, am I the only one who thinks this sounds eerily close to some of the things rape apologists say? I know this person would never in a million years condone rape or rape apologists, but the comment is just a step or two away from "She was asking for it! She deserved it, wanted it!" (Not to mention the fact she's victim blaming, doesn't say a single word against the people saying the horrible things, and the "she's all boo hoo" part doesn't make sense at all, like she didn't even read what the girl wrote).

So am I the only one seeing this? Am I being irrational?

I see what you're saying. I don't think it's a step away from "She was asking for it", that's literally what they meant. If that's someone you generally have respect for, they probably didn't get far enough to process that a bunch of adults are attacking this kid and calling her a whore... Or we can pretend they didn't read that far anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

The text continues:

quote:

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.
When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till He's good and sore.
Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.
When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.
Accounts Receivable tax
Airline surcharge tax
Airline Fuel Tax
Airport Maintenance Tax
Building Permit Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Death Tax
Dog License Tax
Driving Permit Tax
Environmental Tax (Fee)
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment (UI)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Gasoline Tax (too much per litre)
Gross Receipts Tax
Health Tax
Hunting License Tax
Hydro Tax
Inheritance Tax
Interest Tax
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Mortgage Tax
Personal Income Tax
Property Tax
Poverty Tax
Prescription Drug Tax
Provincial Income and sales tax
Real Estate Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Retail Sales Tax
Service Charge Tax
School Tax
Telephone Federal Tax
Telephone Federal, Provincial and Local Surcharge Taxes
Tire and Battery Disposal Tax
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Water Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 60 years ago, & our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had a large middle class, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
What in "Hell" happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
I hope this goes around CANADA at least 100 times. YOU can help it get there.
GO AHEAD - - - be a CANADIAN

What do these even mean? Do they just mean sales tax? "Health tax" is in there, does that mean the tax that pays for our healthcare system...?

"Mom stayed home to raise the kids." At first I thought that's trying to say that women are getting all uppity and the world was a better place when they stayed home and "took care of their responsibilities" but I'm guessing it's slightly more subtle - the country was better off when we were rich enough that women "could" stay home, because why would they ever want to go make something of themselves? They only get careers these days because they need the money I guess.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

vaguely posted:

Ah, this is always so telling about the people who say it. Women have always had to work if they weren't middle-class or higher; mum going off to the factory or the field or the whorehouse was totally normal for poor kids throughout history. It's just that these days we have a shot at getting some half-decent jobs instead of being relegated to the shitwork men don't want to do (or if you're one of the lucky few getting to yell at the maids all day) and that's what these people are always actually angry at.

It was posted by a woman who has a good career in a male-dominated field (which presents a lot of sexism issues for her in the workplace) and she has always been enthusiastic about my own career/ambition and lack of "traditional values". I don't attribute the sentiment of that one line to her, but holy poo poo, why did that not set off alarm bells about the post?

Although despite supposedly being liberal she is very ":argh: welfare queens" and "people who do drugs don't deserve my hard earned taxes!" so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

e: clarity

Curiosity has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Aug 11, 2013

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

:angel: Yay we luv u babby ...angle :confused:

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

A gun?? I thought it was just one of those plastic strips covered in bells...

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am staring into the void and the void is ho ho horrifying.

I laughed much too hard at this.

Curiosity has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Sep 29, 2013

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

My supposedly liberal friend who hates all those welfare queen poors commented on this somewhere and it appeared on my feed. Why was she posting on this Facebook page??

Ignore the timestamp weirdness, I had to screencap and paste the best stuff together so I may have gotten the order mixed up.

e: Read the comments, I included them because that's where the idiots are.

I like the last comment.

Highlights:
-why should they make what I do when I bust my rear end obviously making below living wage and that's totally an ok thing
-you must be one of them lowlife scum sucking people out there who don't know how to work
-they have no right to anything more than what those low level skills produce
-I made profit off welfare (???) something something
-become a farmer and stay home to raise your children (?!?!)

Curiosity has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Oct 10, 2013

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

I didn't read the comments

Yes. Read the comments.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

I like to think the idiots on our Facebooks have their own thread in which they post screenshots of our comments and arguments.

"Can you believe my relative betrays our country/religion/whatever by saying Happy Holidays? It's not about using a universally pleasant festive greeting, it's about making you think!!!!"

e: they would also need to save and compress their screenshot.jpgs at least 4 times or risk being probated by their mods

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

We did it in my elementary school (still remember facts about Phillis Wheatley, Mary Mcleod Bethune, George Washington Carver, Arthur Ashe, and Langston Hughes from my reports on them). Our town was, at that time, literally 99.95 percent white (one old white dude had a Filipina war bride).

My nephew does it in his elementary school now, though his town is only 53 percent white so it seems a bit more logical. I know he did last year's report on the Tuskegee Airmen.

First of all I've never known you could find out percentages for a towns population...

More importantly why is doing those kind of projects in a more racially diverse town more logical? A completely white town is going to have a bunch of kids who need to realise people of every race are just people, not some mashup of stereotypes and racist jokes. Spending time educating students about people from a group they might think is "different" is just as important in a town like that as it is anywhere else, don't you think?

That's one of my biggest frustrations with the "white history month" bullshit. They excuse their racism with things like "if we're equal we should have white history month" but if everything were actually perfect they'd be pushing to make every month black history month (and "newcomer" history month and native american history month etc.) because it would always be everybody month and we'd celebrate one another and plant friendship trees and poop rainbows.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

e: ^^ :argh:

Woman's job is to resist sex. Man's job is to relentlessly seek sex no matter what the cost.

Prehistoric women needed to resist sex to survive.

:wtc:

Is this his way of coping with rejection? "It's their job! It's not me!"

Curiosity has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Dec 11, 2013

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

My father-in-law sent me this video. Congrats for making it!

http://vimeo.com/52231459

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed. Teachers/schools were flawless, it was the kids' faults.

"...learn to deal with it..."

No one was ever overweight because literally everyone was outside in the fresh air. All those broken bones just made kids tougher doncha know.

Do these people seriously not want us to learn from our mistakes and losses? God this pisses me off. Also get vault boy the gently caress out of there.

e: do not read the comments.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Also, for some reason my Facebook only lets me set my gender to "male" or "female". Is this change for America only or something?

I think it only shows the choices if your language set to "US English" - it worked when I swapped to it. The UI is different for US users... is that a new/beta thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

This is like something from a nightmare.

I don't know why (?)he wants her to know he fantasises about assaulting her. At least she can consider it a warning. I wonder if she can get a restraining order based on that screencap...

• Locked thread