Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

d3c0y2 posted:

Has that Wonka picture been completely co-opted by Conservatives and Libertarians, the last time I saw one of them wasn't stupid must have been years ago.

I think the two just tend to go hand in hand since it tends to be used for expressing smug opinions and superior attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Uh oh, he "will protect you from goons."

And I'm really creeped out by the "post you on the wall like a picture" thing and I'm not even sure what he's trying to say there. Is it like some sex thing or is he collecting human beings to pin them up like butterfly specimens? Both?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Never kick the terrible people off your lists no matter how bad they get. Its constant entertainment. I just remove them from news feed and check their pages every now and again.

Case in point:

Uncle Sams Misguided Whatever is the best possible source of IOF.

Because if it's one thing we know from history, concentration camps always take the time to put their hundreds of thousands of dead in nice individual plastic coffins for burial. Easy, cheap and practical!

Stoatbringer posted:

Don't let the government take away your bombs!

I am going to be so pissed the next time I head to the bomb store and can't buy a ready made, perfectly legal pipe bomb because of the goddamn government. It's right there in the constitution!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Palisader posted:

I'm still considering it (I almost said something at the time that she posted it). Unfortunately she tends to be extremely argumentative, and is always right; I have never once won an argument with her even in situations where I was, you know, factually correct. But there's at least the chance that someone reading her feed would change their minds, I guess.

There's no way you would win anyway. Every Arpaio-related argument I've ever seen kind of stalls because being appalled by his behavior first requires acknowledging that criminals (both accused and convicted) are human beings with basic rights. And that simply being arrested for a crime doesn't automatically mean being guilty.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

best friend massage posted:

The revisionism has actually compounded the conspiracy theorism in another way- people are aware that there has been revision, therefore NOTHING CAN BE TRUSTED :tinfoil:

I think for the non-schizophrenic people, there's also a generous helping of smugness. "I know the TRUTH about what the government is doing and all you SHEEPLE are just too blind to see it, unlike me."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ratspeaker posted:

"The FBI secret services/invisible government is in on it like every other terror attack in the past 10 years." So he doesn't think 9/11 was an inside job, or was that just a different group?

He probably does think it was an inside job, he's just either lost track of how long it's actually been or he's using 10 as a general term since it's a nice round number that's pretty close to 12. I really can't imagine a nutjob who thinks the government is using a small pool of actors to hoax national tragedies wouldn't also believe 9/11 was "controlled demolition" or whatever.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm green and I think yellow wants to kill everyone on the planet, without descrimination :ohdear:

"Terrorism is A-OK as long as it's by someone I can consider white." I'm not surprised really, but still. :wtc: (Not that I think that's what you believe Soviet Commubot, just the "logic" of that train of thought is mind-boggling to me).

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Apr 19, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kuroyama posted:

Just some good old-fashioned racism, plus it was being shared from 4chan's page. I think I have about 3 or 4 friends who have liked that page.

At the risk of being :goonsay: as hell, that one is made slightly stupider when you realize ramen noodles are Japanese.

(Unless that was what you were pointing out).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, it has to be some kind of commentary on the American version but I don't get what the point is. It isn't exactly true for America either, though maybe a bit more true than it is for Canada. The most I can figure it for is a jab at "America isn't the only country with these problems" but then it doesn't make that message at all obvious.

I'm guessing only madness is down the path of attempted understanding of Facebook Idiots.

It could be meant as a jab or some kind of satire, but it wouldn't surprise me if the person who posted this actually believed it to be true.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

Oh, I think it's pretty clear why he hasn't gone on any dates.

Also why he ended up divorced in the first place. That harpy of a wife broke all his MAN RULES and couldn't even WORK THE TOILET SEAT! :byodood:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

Can someone tell me why people are still talking about the Newtown false flag vis a vis the Boston marathon? I thought the point of the Newtown false flag was for the government to take away everyone's guns, but the very same government struck down a relatively minor gun reform law just last week. What's happening with the internal logic there?

A lot of these people are just suspicious of the U.S. government in general or outright anti-government. Everything bad is the government's fault, even if it's contradictory somehow. There isn't a whole lot of logic factoring in here.

For example, I used to work in a sporting goods store right around the time of the Sandy Hook shooting. People freaked out and started buying up all our ammunition like crazy because "the government's going to ban are guns/ammo!!" Then when we couldn't keep it on the shelves because everyone was in a buying frenzy, they decided our store was always out of ammo stock because the government was buying it all up to keep it out of the public's hands. You know, not because whackjobs were hoarding it or anything. :wtc:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and from a small amount of research the Aquabounty Salmon is Atlantic Salmon hybridized with a Chinook salmon gene, which is another kind of fish people commonly eat so :confused:

But it has big sciency words and that's SCARY!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Also it might have CHEMICALS in it!

Don't forget toxins!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Of course it doesn't matter that they weren't on welfare anywhere near the bombing and even if they were do they really think that there are dudes getting their checks and going 'oooh NOW I can build a bomb'?

I think most people like this have no idea how most assistance programs work. So in their mind the government just sends out a huge check every month that they can just spend anywhere. They don't seem to realize that a lot of this stuff is loaded on to cards and is fairly strict about what you can and cannot spend it on. Which I'm sure is a point of pride, since THEY don't need no goddamn welfare so they don't need to understand it!! :bahgawd:

Also that the government does not in fact have some big list on a supercomputer of those who are on assistance of some kind and on a terror watchlist.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lap-Lem posted:

There's a subtle difference between.

"Bad things are happening to me, but I need to keep positive, I'll get through this"

and

"Bad things happened to you? Quit whinging! If you were a better person bad things wouldn't happen"

Make sure you stay firmly in the former and don't fall into the latter, you'll be fine.

It's probably more like that stuff from "The Secret." Not so much that you're a bad person, but that you have to visualize what you want in order to get it. So basically make a wish and the universe will grant it if you wish enough. :downs:

Then again, I've also heard these same types say that you tend to attract the things you don't want because you have such strong feelings about them or something.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

The fact that this is a major talking point for gun nuts in the U.S.

is so loving beautiful because so many of them are the same people who think that all Muslims/gays/feminists/[insert non-white male conservative christian person] are evil because of the actions of a very small minority.

It's also beautiful because it specifies "illegal" guns, when most of those crazies obtained their guns in a perfectly legal manner.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LoveMeDead posted:

PKU isn't even a vaccination, it's a test. A very important test that saves lives.

I'm a nurse, and very hippie like, and have a child with Autism. All of my kids were vaccinated. These people are crazy and dangerous and piss me off. There is a resurgence of Scarlet Fever directly because of these idiots. Infants are dying because older, unvaccinated kids are getting sick and pass it along to their infant siblings.

Besides the fact that kids are dying because of sheer idiocy, it frustrates me because the whole "vaccines cause autism" thing was a complete hoax by some scientist who falsified a bunch of data about it (for more funding I think?). The whole thing is literally based on a lie, but it's taken on this crazy life of its own. It's not exactly a secret either, I remember it being all over the news a few years ago but everyone just kind of shrugged, ignored it and let their kids keep dying of easily preventable diseases.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

OmniDesol posted:

I have a few questions about this. First, who would ever have cause to thank reddit for anything? Secondly, why would you choose to do so via Facebook? Thirdly, why be so vague about it?

It's hard to tell without any context, but it could a sarcastic thing, like "thanks a lot reddit, you've ruined the next two days for me :rolleyes: " No idea why though, maybe they've gone and done some other stupid thing to ruin an innocent person's reputation? Or inadvertently posted his photo in an insulting image macro, like they did to at least one goon?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

OmniDesol posted:

Wait, that happened? That sounds like quite a story.

You can read it here.

The gist is basically an image macro making fun of fat gamers turned up on reddit that wasn't directed at him specifically, but just happened to feature a picture of this goon. It apparently was the "rock bottom" moment for him before he started trying to lose weight/get in shape.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kannonfodder posted:

His skin is a slightly different colour than theirs.

Don't forget the crime of having a unusual name.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think that's the biggest problem with it, is that there are actually nice guys out there who maybe feel a little left out once in a while because they aren't having the constant wild sex they're told they should be having. It's really sad, because they basically boil down to really good people who feel like they shouldn't be good people.

The "Nice Guys" who are only "nice" to try and get into panties are usually fairly unpleasant as people all around, for the simple fact that anyone who's going to try and leverage kindness for reward isn't a kind person.

Or maybe I don't understand the internet, who knows.

Yeah, there are genuinely nice guys who are just shy, don't put themselves out there enough, or maybe have some self-esteem issues. Usually decent human beings once you get to know them.

And then there are the other Nice Guys who (to blatantly steal a joke I saw on the forums) view their female friends like vending machines: they're putting all these kindness coins in, so sex should be coming out!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Xemloth posted:

And the immigrants, if we stop giving illegal immigrants million pound houses that's 125 million right there! All that would cost is postage and packing for 125 thousand cows

Of course if you could find all these illegal immigrants in order to send them a cow for tracking purposes...do you really need to send them a cow at all? :raise:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I grew up in the 90s and I really don't get all the nostalgia for stuff like VCRs at all. Maybe because I clearly remember what a pain in the rear end VHS could be? God help you if you wanted to skip to a certain scene or if some bastard at the video store didn't rewind a 2+ hour movie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm surprised we don't have to deal with videophiles who insist that VCR tapes give a warmer picture than DVR'd content.

It probably helps that pretty much anytime a movie or TV show has footage made to look like VHS-quality video it's usually something horrible like people dying in the woods or a dead girl crawling out of your TV or something. I think it's become visual shorthand for "whatever you're watching is going to be creepy!"

Also what ElBrak said.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

"It's only okay to wear fake animal parts if I'm the one wearing them."

:ironicat:

Personally I like the part where it's technology CONTROLLED BY BRAIN WAVES (allegedly anyway), but then everyone's like "70 bucks?! poo poo, too expensive for me."

Although I guess $70 is a lot when you're living on minimum wage or your mom's good graces and you've probably spent this week's paycheck on a tail.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

$70 is a lot of money when you're poor :(, particularly when it comes to stupid stuff, and I can't think of a stupider thing than that.

Yeah I know, I mentioned that in my post. And I've been there before myself, but then again I don't think it ever occurred to me to spend $70 on cat ears.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

This just gets better when combined with the disapproving expression of the man in your avatar. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think the Child Free groups may be the most bullshit martyrs I've ever encountered. Like, it's literally just always a bunch of people going "UGH so yesterday I SAW A KID and I was like, ugh, gross, and the person I said it to didn't suck my dick for my bravery right there! I'm basically super oppressed." That or just people who legitimately can't grasp that the 'social pressure' they're feeling most likely is in their head.

There can be some pressure there from people, but you're right in that usually it's usually just a minor annoyance more than anything. The rabid childfree people are really embarrassing by association if you're just a normal sane person who happens to not want children.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Did he forget to bake them or something?

Those are "no bake cookies" - you don't bake them, you just let them set. They generally start out thicker than those though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Isn't that basically dried out cookie dough?

Not really. There's no flour, eggs or anything like that in them. It's more like fudge once it sets.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't think it's against the law for management to take tips. From what I'm aware there's no real legislation on tips (beyond tips having to be taxed if you make beyond a certain point, which most people ignore anyway). However it's a real dick thing to do because when you leave a tip at the restaurant it's generally understood that the tip you leave is for the server. You're not exactly stealing, but you're taking advantage of your customer's assumption.

It's actually a state by state thing and in some states, tips are legally considered the property of whomever they're given to. So in those places, yes it is illegal for management to take an employee's tips since generally tips are intended for the servers and not management.

And although it sounds like it might not apply in this case, many states pay a much lower minimum wage to tipped employees with the assumption that it will even out with the minimum wage for all other employees via the money from tips. So if the employer is taking their tips and not compensating them somehow to bring them to the minimum wage that could be a problem legally speaking.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Pissweak posted:

So what does he identify as, seeing how he's speaking as if he's not a human himself. Though I'm sure it's just a cat or something as per his otherkin persona or some bullshit.

Also can we see what references he has re: bottlenecking genetic variation to produce... genetic variation?

It could be an otherkin thing, but in my experience these misanthropic people usually think of themselves as somehow superior to all those other horrible humans out there. Which is why they feel like it's their place to judge the worthiness of the rest of the human race. Also the normal ones grow out of it once they stop being angsty 14 year olds.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey you're cold that's cool and all but PLEASE SIGN THIS INTERNET PETITION THAT WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING :byodame:

It took me a minute to realize that wasn't a Not Safe for Work politician. :downs:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If nature didn't intend for us to drink milk, we'd become lactose intolerant after weaning, like most other mammals do. Checkmate :smug:

I realize you're being sarcastic there, but most human beings do become lactose intolerant later in life. Some populations that have a long history of drinking milk past infancy don't however.

Also I'm pretty sure a woman will continue to lactate as long as she's regularly nursing. Like those odd women who won't wean their kid until it's like 8 years old and just keep breast feeding them.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 15:08 on May 21, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not gonna put up a picture of it or even link because it's literally nasty as poo poo, but someone on my feed posted a picture of their poo poo today. Just two huge, snakey turds that look vaguely like two A's, which are said poster's initials.

I have to ask, was this pure luck or did they actually purposefully try to poo poo out their initials?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Silly Hippie posted:

What in the gently caress do people think chemicals are?

Also, for shits and giggles I checked on my all-natural toothpaste made of like licorice and fairy wings and poo poo. It has a black rectangle. I have been lied to. :byodood:

"Chemical" is usually shorthand for "scary artificial thing synthesized by a mad scientist." A lot of people don't seem to realize that chemicals occur in nature as well and even if it was created artificially, it's not going to instantly kill you.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

I'm starting to get worried about the guy I know posting these things.

Most of what he posts is standard Reddity atheist-libertarian-paranoid stuff nowadays.

Is he in college or previously went to college? I've rarely if ever run into anyone who lords their college education over anyone (at least at the undergrad level), but I know a lot of people who like to assume "college degree = they secretly think they're better/smarter than me!!!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah, there are people who have an inflated ego over their degree, but for every person who's :smug: about their college degree, there is another person (like that dude most likely) who's equally as :smuggo: about their lack of a college degree, so it balances out.

Yeah, I don't mean that absolutely no one is super smug about their degree just that I don't run into it that often. It could be a regional thing, since most people where I live don't really go to college so anything beyond high school is kind of seen as being uppity I think.

It's really awkward when my mom or dad go off on rants about how people with college degrees are know-it-alls, since they seem to forget I have one too. :cripes:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ThatPazuzu posted:

They didn't forget.

I guess that's why they went to the trouble of paying for both of their kids to go to college. :rolleyes:

Actually they're just complaining about the people at their jobs mostly. They're factory workers and love to complain about the college educated engineers all the time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You mean like, now that it's 2013 and the apocalypse hasn't happened? Do they ask about Y2K, too?

Maybe they mean that stupid movie called 2012? Or like you mentioned, the whole Mayan calendar thing?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jidohanbaiki posted:

Yes, that stupid loving movie. Last New Years was the most merciful thing that ever happened because the children have finally stopped asking about 2012.

I love that. "Yes children, the Earth really was destroyed and they filmed it, but we're still having class today."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

What... what is this?

Seriously, is this just like some one-man creepy sexual echo chamber?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

(Yes, I am the one arguing with them, I am the idiot on Facebook)

Ah yes, the good old days of things like thalidomide and polio. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

I'm not sure what you expected. You just told the mother that she posted cp of her own daughter, that her friends were most likely jerking off to the pic, and victim blamed her for something she isn't even a victim of.

Did you never have your mother show off pics to potential girlfriends (boyfriends maybe, whatever) of you as a child. When they got to the bath pics did you run screaming into the room "CP CP! What is wrong with you."

You should have just mentioned that she should have set the pics to private or something, not that a pic of her daughter could be used as jerking material.

There's a big difference between showing off pictures from a photo album in your living room and posting them publicly on Facebook for everyone to see/download their own copy/whatever. I think that's more the part he's taking issue with than nudity by itself.

• Locked thread