Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SirDan3k posted:

Man sometimes it's easy to forget this book can have teeth. Tanaka died without being able to even scratch Kensei even after putting his life on the line, even training exclusively to fight him, even with the motivation of the loss of his entire family. It just feels so drat bleak in the try your best and you will succeed setting HSDK is.

A little, I guess. But moreso it just highlights ridiculous plot armour that keeps stories like these going..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SirDan3k posted:

Man sometimes it's easy to forget this book can have teeth. Tanaka died without being able to even scratch Kensei even after putting his life on the line, even training exclusively to fight him, even with the motivation of the loss of his entire family. It just feels so drat bleak in the try your best and you will succeed setting HSDK is.

On the other hand Tanaka did get to return to his family and help Kenichi, so he found some measure of happiness in the afterlife by the looks of things. I will say that I'll be disappointed if Kenichi doesn't use this as motivation to become stronger and beat Kensei in Tanaka's place using at least some of Tanaka's moves given that Grandpa Furinji seems to know at least a few of them. I know it's pretty unlikely, but it feels like what should happen to me regardless so I'll be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Also, while I'm sure it's kind of a disappointment for at least some in this thread that the Berserker/Kenichi fight didn't pan out it should be interesting to see him training under Kensei. Will he take any stylistic tips from him, or continue to just develop purely on his own I wonder?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Irrational hope: Bullshit revival for Odin's girlfriend to redeem some of the death that has pervaded this arc? :unsmith:

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/526

Just finished reading the chapter and already don't remember most of it. I really don't like the first issue after big fights.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Jaweeeblop posted:

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/526

Just finished reading the chapter and already don't remember most of it. I really don't like the first issue after big fights.

I thought it was alright. Kenichi shows some surprising determination, some development of the Rimi thing, and the next (hopefully final) part of the big YOMI arc gets teased. For an interlude chapter it was pretty good.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Good Citizen posted:

(hopefully final)
I'm having trouble remembering a fight with a weapon user that wasn't meaningless filler or just training for Kenichi.

Though the fights themselves are sometimes good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think there were some that were important fights, back when they raided that castle like place?

So Rimi is alive... and freaking Odin out via playing possum

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

I think there were some that were important fights, back when they raided that castle like place?

So Rimi is alive... and freaking Odin out via playing possum

Yea, I think they might actually be the closest thing this manga has to an actual functioning couple, which is unbelievably sad. I guess Kenichi and Miu will be fighting alongside each other though next arc seeing as the weapon's masters has two disciples, one male, one female by the looks of things. Could be cool. Hopefully they have some fun personalities like the last sword dude Shigure fought.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
do a crossover chapter where saitama meets hayato

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 29, 2013

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

this thread is a bit behind

Jaweeeblop fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 12, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of disappointed that's all that Shigure was making. Given how intense she was getting the last few weeks and the size of the bag on Appachai's back I expected some vests for everyone and some kind of footwear, if not a weapon for at least one of them to be honest. I don't think Kenichi himself even got anything out of this. Although I will say I think it's hilarious that she made one for Ukitake as well, like he's ever going to actually get any use out of it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The greatest single panel in HSDK. Following shark punch of course.

I wish this manga was more about Apachi though. Apa sleep mode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

The greatest single panel in HSDK. Following shark punch of course.

I wish this manga was more about Apachi though. Apa sleep mode.

Apachai sort of bothers me because he's an example of the super racist "noble savages" view of south-east asians that seems to show up a lot in Japanese media.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's less a noble savage and more an overgrown child though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, you can tell that it's not the nation in particular that's overgrown children either, what with the flashbacks/rival.

He's just stupid, but really really good hearted, and a good fighter.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 13, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not to mention his main rival Agaard doesn't share his naivety, childish-ness or rather simple personality and is from the same area. Nor does Tirawit, his disciple, who I believe is from the same area.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsob posted:

Not to mention his main rival Agaard doesn't share his naivety, childish-ness or rather simple personality and is from the same area. Nor does Tirawit, his disciple, who I believe is from the same area.

Fair enough, though the whole Indonesia arc was pretty bad in terms of making the country seem really primitive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't it take place in a run-down gym in the countryside? I doubt it was supposed to be a representation of the whole country. I think you're over-thinking this man.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Didn't it take place in a run-down gym in the countryside? I doubt it was supposed to be a representation of the whole country. I think you're over-thinking this man.

When you're spending months depicting a country in a work of fiction it's generally regarded that what you depict is what you believe. He didn't spend ages going through Jakarta or whatever, it was all jungle, jungle, jungle and hidden temples and mercenaries.

Apachai is also by far the most prevalent representative in the manga from that region. You can defend these criticisms, but they're pretty valid in my eyes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

tsob posted:

I'd honestly been hoping that his manner was due to him not being familiar with the language, but when they went to Thailand he acted the same. Ah well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nilbop posted:

When you're spending months depicting a country in a work of fiction it's generally regarded that what you depict is what you believe. He didn't spend ages going through Jakarta or whatever, it was all jungle, jungle, jungle and hidden temples and mercenaries.

Apachai is also by far the most prevalent representative in the manga from that region. You can defend these criticisms, but they're pretty valid in my eyes.

Pretty sure the flashback for Appachai lasted 3 issues, not months, having just checked quickly through Mangapanda. I'd say the Appachai thing might have some basis were he the only one, but I'm not sure how the existence of Agaard and Tirawit as two of the more intelligent and considerate Yomi doesn't put that issue to rest. It seems to me like complaining that Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist because it paints all Chinese people as irrepressible perverts.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also it is all hidden temples and remote locations (jungle) because they are traditional martial arts practitioners.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

tsob posted:

Pretty sure the flashback for Appachai lasted 3 issues, not months, having just checked quickly through Mangapanda.

He's talking about that Rescue Miu arc. Where they go to Tidat, which is a fictional country located in the Indonesia Archipelago

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tsob posted:

Pretty sure the flashback for Appachai lasted 3 issues, not months, having just checked quickly through Mangapanda. I'd say the Appachai thing might have some basis were he the only one, but I'm not sure how the existence of Agaard and Tirawit as two of the more intelligent and considerate Yomi doesn't put that issue to rest. It seems to me like complaining that Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist because it paints all Chinese people as irrepressible perverts.

Ma Kensei's portrayal is racist. In fact I'm struggling to think of a Chinese person in that comic who isn't portrayed as perverted, evil or braindead cheesecake. If that character appeared in a western comic there'd be an uproar.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Uncle Hakubi and his useless disciples?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
531 :asoiaf: :asoiaf: :asoiaf:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Time for a rescue Grandpa arc?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 20, 2013

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I agree, though he might be in trouble. It'll be interesting how the two supermen play out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's pretty much the only way the manga can take one of the heroic cast off the table for a while, it's just coincidence that it's also the most badass.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New chapter and holy... not sure how HSDK doesn't turn into some post apocalyptic (maybe a bit dramatic) good guys fight the bad guys using guerrilla warfare style manga. I guess there are probably some additional good guy masters who will show up but it is already 5 on 7 just counting the one shadow nine fists and Saiga is finally on the move too.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man Elder and Ganosoku were fighting for an entire week. I love how this manga is not afraid to just go completely bonkers.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
These two men's moustaches are equally as impressive as their week-long duel.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like the Author forgot that Kushinada is around 8 feet tall. I guess as soon as another super-master level character appeared she became normal-sized.

Nitpicking aside, lately the chapters that are not filler have been quite good.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Chapter 533 is up

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gotta say, I really enjoyed those last couple of pages. Love seeing the villains act so carefree about their situation.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
For the first time in a while it actually seems like a story arc of consequence is starting up. I mean, both the rescue and amusement park arcs had some developments at the end, but it looks like the story might really move forward here.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just caught up in the last couple of days from where I left off around chapter 490 last year...drat :stare:

This manga's gotten brutal. :asoiaf:

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
New Kenichi
http://readms.com/r/hsdk/534/2016/1

Good stuff.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Love the part where Apachai breaks Kenichi's shoulder as the masters are leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New Chapter

• Locked thread