Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized what sounded off about him in that trailer; it's Matt Ryan (Edward Kenway in AC4) and he's bloody Welsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

First Bass posted:

I just realized what sounded off about him in that trailer; it's Matt Ryan (Edward Kenway in AC4) and he's bloody Welsh.

He doesn't sound Welsh in the trailer. Sounds London to me.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

First Bass posted:

They cast someone from the UK, that's probably the best we can really hope for if it's not a British production. :v:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just have him chainsmoke and be a complete bastard and i'm in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I still want Tim Roth as Constantine, but if we can have a Welshman (doesn't he run like a Welshman?) as Batman, we can have one as Constantine.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I just bought volume one of Vertigo's Hellblazer collection today, "Original Sins." Been really intrigued by the character since he showed up in Sandman, when I was first getting into comics not too long ago. That said - there are like 6+ volumes of this stuff for sale at my shop, and I wanted to ask: were there any lame runs along the way, or should I just gradually buy the whole set?

Also - when did Mike Carey start writing this stuff, and is it as awesome as I'm anticipating? I really liked his Lucifer series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A_Ruse! posted:

I just bought volume one of Vertigo's Hellblazer collection today, "Original Sins." Been really intrigued by the character since he showed up in Sandman, when I was first getting into comics not too long ago. That said - there are like 6+ volumes of this stuff for sale at my shop, and I wanted to ask: were there any lame runs along the way, or should I just gradually buy the whole set?

Also - when did Mike Carey start writing this stuff, and is it as awesome as I'm anticipating? I really liked his Lucifer series.

They are all good but the Denise Mia. There are a couple that I personally do not like, but they have their supporters. Carey's run is good but it's one that helps to have read earlier issues as he brings back a bunch of characters

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A_Ruse! posted:

Start:
Ennis
Stop:
Ennis

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sizone posted:

Start:
Ennis
Stop:
Ennis

Look at this super incorrect information.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sizone posted:

Start:
Ennis
Stop:
Ennis

That is not true. As I said every single run is good in their own way except for one. Ennis is good but his run is not the only one that should be read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. As I said every single run is good in their own way except for one. Ennis is good but his run is not the only one that should be read.

Absolutely correct. Mina drove me away from the book completely and I didn't come back until a full year after her. Jenkins is probably my favorite era overall. Pretty sure I'm also the only person in BSS who likes the Azzarello run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely correct. Mina drove me away from the book completely and I didn't come back until a full year after her. Jenkins is probably my favorite era overall. Pretty sure I'm also the only person in BSS who likes the Azzarello run.

When I read the entire series I was shocked how good Jenkins run was. I think it was also due to how hopeful it was. John won sacrificing his own happiness not sacrificing his loved ones. It sas so different from all the other runs, and showed that John did not have to be all doom and gloom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

When I read the entire series I was shocked how good Jenkins run was. I think it was also due to how hopeful it was. John won sacrificing his own happiness not sacrificing his loved ones. It sas so different from all the other runs, and showed that John did not have to be all doom and gloom.

The whole purging his own soul to gently caress over the First of the Fallen is still the high point of the series for me.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I really loved the early Delano run (#1-40) and enjoyed most of the specials too (All His Engines, Bad Blood and Books of Magic particularly). I read through every issue and all of the specials in order last year and was glad I didn't skip anything, actually, even though I wasn't nuts about Mina's run.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sizone posted:

Start:
Ennis
Stop:
Ennis
As someone who also loves Ennis' run, you don't really know what you're talking about.

Glad to see others bigging up Jenkins' run, it doesn't generally get enough appreciation.

On another tack, I confess to being surprised the New52 book hasn't been cancelled yet, I really didn't figure on it lasting long at all...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sentinel Red posted:

As someone who also loves Ennis' run, you don't really know what you're talking about.

Glad to see others bigging up Jenkins' run, it doesn't generally get enough appreciation.

On another tack, I confess to being surprised the New52 book hasn't been cancelled yet, I really didn't figure on it lasting long at all...

Even if it were close to being canceled it's a fair bet it will continue on until the show airs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Rereading has reacquainted me with what a loving hack Steve Dillon is. Well, either that, or he just chooses to recycle generic faces. Read Preacher and then read Hellblazer and see how many times he uses Tulip's face for women, for a small example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pope Guilty posted:

Rereading has reacquainted me with what a loving hack Steve Dillon is. Well, either that, or he just chooses to recycle generic faces. Read Preacher and then read Hellblazer and see how many times he uses Tulip's face for women, for a small example.

Uh, Hellblazer came first.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rhyno posted:

Uh, Hellblazer came first.

Eh, I'm not meaning to say it went that way chronologically, just that he sucks at drawing faces and everybody he draws looks to be closely related.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

A_Ruse! posted:

In addition to Denise Mina, Brian Azzarellos run is loving garbage

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jsoh posted:

I will chain you to a tree naked and film it for the internet for saying such things.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I read most if not all of Hellblazer and don't really have any sour memories of certain runs, but the beginning is generally the best place to start imo

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
90's Steve Dillon is great. Incredibly naturalistic, and it's easy to see why Ennis fell in love with him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Adam Strange posted:

90's Steve Dillon is great. Incredibly naturalistic, and it's easy to see why Ennis fell in love with him.

You can see where Dillon began phoning it in about 15 or 20 issues into Preacher. But there's a reason why he was once talked up as the next Brian Bolland, and it's not because they couldn't think of anyone else to give the title to.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

I will chain you to a tree naked and film it for the internet for saying such things.

I don't agree with Rhyno much, but if he and I are the only two who step up to bat for Azzarello's run so be it. Constantine in prison was a return to the Constantine as seen by Swamp Thing, mysterious and dangerous and scary. It doesn't really jibe with the rest of Hellblazer, where John is constantly on the backfoot until he burns and breaks whatever he needs to hurt the other guy worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

jsoh posted:

Die in a fire.

Also, I like at least the first arc by Mina. I'm probably the only person, at least on this forum, who will say that.

I was slowly working my way through all of Hellblazer, but got distracted by something else before I got to Jenkins, but hearing that his run is good, that's gotta be one of the strongest 300 issue runs with a ton of writers and artists. Even granting Mina being terrible (I don't acknowledge the people who diss on Azzarello).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I've got nothing at all against any of the writers, just that one artist.

Also Guy Davis, for the heinous crime of not being hired to draw more issues. Dude rules hard.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Eh. Azzarello's run isn't good enough that I would tell anyone to specifically seek it out, but if someone was reading the series front-to-back I wouldn't tell them to skip it. It's just not as good as most of the other Hellblazer runs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pope Guilty posted:

I've got nothing at all against any of the writers, just that one artist.

Also Guy Davis, for the heinous crime of not being hired to draw more issues. Dude rules hard.

Steve Dillon can draw three male faces and one female face, but if it isn't a face, he can draw drat near anything else.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, out of all the crimes an artist can commit, drawing samey faces is a pretty minor one. He's not exactly Liefeld.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

demozthenes posted:

I really loved the early Delano run (#1-40) and enjoyed most of the specials too (All His Engines, Bad Blood and Books of Magic particularly). I read through every issue and all of the specials in order last year and was glad I didn't skip anything, actually, even though I wasn't nuts about Mina's run.

I really like the Delano issues he kicks around with hippies and stuff like that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pope Guilty posted:

I see heaven and hell, but no conservatives.

Or Silk Cuts

Still, I'm actually excited for this, retention of the "being able to see souls" conceit aside.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Gruknor posted:

He doesn't sound Welsh in the trailer. Sounds London to me.

Definitely not Scouse.

Been thinking about this some more. One of the annoying conceits from the film they seem to have kept is the whole "being able to see what is REALLY around you" thing. What worked for me best about the comic was the "any oval office can do it" part of magic. John's just this con guy who does it, nothing special about him beyond that. And the best story lines weren't IMO him facing off against big supernatural bad guys (lets face it, Ennis' First of the Fallen was a joke), but how people, normal people, could be horrible cruel bastards, and the magic was just a means (or not even, see The Family Guy). Newcastle was partly about a botched exorcism, sure, but it was really about child sexual abuse and the depravity of some adults. And even Nergal eventually became a joke.

e. sorry should have just edit/appended the previous post. Please forgive my nerd sperge target fixation

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Definitely not Scouse.

Been thinking about this some more. One of the annoying conceits from the film they seem to have kept is the whole "being able to see what is REALLY around you" thing. What worked for me best about the comic was the "any oval office can do it" part of magic. John's just this con guy who does it, nothing special about him beyond that. And the best story lines weren't IMO him facing off against big supernatural bad guys (lets face it, Ennis' First of the Fallen was a joke), but how people, normal people, could be horrible cruel bastards, and the magic was just a means (or not even, see The Family Guy). Newcastle was partly about a botched exorcism, sure, but it was really about child sexual abuse and the depravity of some adults. And even Nergal eventually became a joke.

e. sorry should have just edit/appended the previous post. Please forgive my nerd sperge target fixation

Carey's entire run and some of the best storylines were about how there was a London hidden inside London. That there is a entire hidden world and once you discover it you are completely hosed. That it will destroy you and your loved ones, and that is why Kat survived. She did not get involved with it and therefore was able to escape unharmed.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 21, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Casey's entire run and some of the best storylines were about how there was a London hidden inside London. That there is a entire hidden world and once you discover it you are completely hosed. That it will destroy you and your loved ones, and that is why Kat survived. She did not get involved with it and therefore was able to escape unharmed.

Huh, not ringing a bell for me. You mean Mike Carey?

e. will have to reread those, I only gave them a one time over when the fist came out. I will admit my idea of Hellblazer cannon was firmly established by Moore/Delano and the most recent writers haven't penetrated my head as deeply yet. Andy Diggle excepted because he's awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Huh, not ringing a bell for me. You mean Mike Carey?

Yes. Yes I do.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. Yes I do.

I'll definitely give these a reread. My memory of that arc is of a battle between magical societies or some such and is fuzzy. Map is awesome however.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

I'll definitely give these a reread. My memory of that arc is of a battle between magical societies or some such and is fuzzy. Map is awesome however.

Yeah but there is things like how Gemma gets involved with magic, and her life just goes to complete hell. There is also the issue which was all about him traveling around the magic sites in London.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but there is things like how Gemma gets involved with magic, and her life just goes to complete hell. There is also the issue which was all about him traveling around the magic sites in London.

I'd argue that her life kinda started in hell with her childhood "marriage". How much of that is karmic blowback for actions taken by John though? Family Man revisited this theme of getting at John via his family, plus then Cheryl's trip to hell and back. So I'd characterize it somewhat differently but fair point; its hard to generalize a book that's been around for 20+ years (oh god I am so old :smith: )

And let's loving not bring up Lady Constantine. That never happened.

edit: I've been on a few tours of sites in London featured in Hellblazer. Just last year to celebrate/mourn the end of the Vertigo book I met some mates down near Vauxhall Bridge. Another time I had a non Hellblazer night with a friend in Stoke-Newington, only to discover while rereading the issue when John first met Zed that he had also had a curry and pint at the same pub (detailed down to the odd placement of the front door) and Indian restaurant.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

I'd argue that her life kinda started in hell with her childhood "marriage". How much of that is karmic blowback for actions taken by John though? Family Man revisited this theme of getting at John via his family, plus then Cheryl's trip to hell and back. So I'd characterize it somewhat differently but fair point; its hard to generalize a book that's been around for 20+ years (oh god I am so old :smith: )

And let's loving not bring up Lady Constantine. That never happened.

It was more that she keeps on trying to get involved with magic, and then used as a pawn as seen in Carey's first storyline.

Was the mini series that bad? I remember she was pretty cool in Sandman.

• Locked thread