Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey what if, like, the dude isn't crazy at all and just really hates Americans? Mental disorders are not always the reason people do bad things, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I think it is a bit premature to say that he "hates Americans" and seems like an attempt to Otherize him. Did James Holmes just "hate Americans", what about Jared Loughner?

I don't think he's crazy. I think he's just a 19 year old idiot who picked an issue to be extremely passionate about, and thought that blowing up people was the right thing to do. He seems concerned about the status of Muslims around the world. For example, his VK page had a joke with "chechen, dagestani and ingush sitting in a car. Who's driving? The police officer." He posted that around March this year, then went and blew up the marathon last week. Heh.

And for your information, a lot of people hate Americans around the world. It's mostly out of ignorance, not crazyness.

In somewhat related news, Russia asked the FBI to investigate the older brother around 2011.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/20/us-usa-explosions-boston-russia-idUSBRE93J0F620130420

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

We have no idea if this was his actual motivation. The fact that he is a Chechen Muslim does not make him "hate America" or any other such crap. The fact that you seem to speak Russian and have a Russian username makes me less than willing to invest much in your opinion.

Look, at 19 kids in this country tend to obsess about their identity and heritage. They also tend to be passionate about doing the right thing. I don't think he had to look very far to make himself believe that Americans "hate" muslisms, and I think his brother heavily influenced him on this. Look at FOX news, or any right wing affiliated source. This crap is on TV!

Also I'm glad that my country of origin makes my opinion less valid.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The issue is that it could be any number of reasons. The fact that you latched onto him "hating America" calls into question your reliability, especially since you are admittedly Russian.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will be skeptical of it until more information is released.

Is that what happened? I thought everyone in this thread was just speculating wildly about Johar's motivations, all I said was I don't think he's necessarily crazy. I didn't mean to force my opinion on anyone, it is very likely that what I'm saying is wrong. But I also won't be surprised that if the kid comes to, he will tell you about Americans and Russians oppressing Muslims around the world. Sometimes people do bad things out of very strong convictions, not because they are insane.

• Locked thread