Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brotein_Shake posted:

Any advice for learning or improving on doing fills? My fills are doo-doo garbage that all feel the same to me and always start halfway through a measure.

Check out some Cars songs. Bye Bye Love and Let the Good Times Roll have a lot of examples of simple yet varied fills.

I've been meaning to post in here about my new kit, I picked up a Tama Imperialstar about a month ago, been having lots of fun so far. Been working my way through the free songs they have on onlinedrummer.com, seems like a good source for drum sheet music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thank god it's not just me :) I'm trying to figure out the best thread to ask this exact thing. It's got to be something with the way the 2 files are encoded/played back or something weird like that.

I'm trying to record my drums, then lay the original song under them so people can hear it and follow along. Like I'll play along with Sunday Bloody Sunday, which starts off with 4 snare hits, so it should be trivial to sync up the first note, which it is. But my playing immediately starts floating noticeably off beat which is not happening with what I'm hearing in my headphones. And when I play the last note of the song it's a good 1-2 seconds after the same note in the song file. Like you I'm not great but I'm not THAT bad, what the gently caress is going on here?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've tried recording my drums using a mic on my PC and Audacity, then going back and putting the original song as a second track. They both show as having the same stats (44.1 khz etc).

The way I've been doing it is I load the songs onto my tablet and listen to them on my kit through headphones, could it be something like playing along to the files as MP3 then trying to sync them back in Audacity (which effectively makes them WAV files ? )? I guess I could try converting a song to WAV then putting that on my tablet... I can try it this evening and report back any findings.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thunderspanks posted:

Otherwise though, like Duke Chin said, the safest bet is to do everything from the same source with a long headphone cable or whatever. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run.

I think this is my next step, doing it my way with a WAV file made no difference. It must be something with how my tablet is playing back the file, it's some .001 BPM slower or something that makes me drift off beat over time when I compare back to the original song file. Now I just need a 20ft male to female stereo cable and I'm all set :v: Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know if I ever get things straightened out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ That is pretty neat. My drum instructor has something similar, he likes to take it to New Orleans with a guitar friend and set up a little miniband on street corners. His just has the bass beater hitting the side of the case itself though, I'll mention your solution to him next lesson.

I looked at those types of cables, but almost all of them had a bunch of reviews about the connectors getting contact issues, so I wanted to try and buy local in case I needed to return/exchange stuff. Went to a Guitar Center and picked up a 12ft headphone extension and a converter to go from 1/4" to 3.5mm jacks. Then I spent probably an hour jacking around in Audacity trying to figure out how to get it to play an mp3, record off the Line In but to NOT play what the mic picks up (hint: go in to Windows' Volume Mixer and mute the mic input).

By recording like this I was able to play along with a song, then go back and mix the recording in with the original file, and all the sync issues seem to be gone. So it must be something with how my tablet (and cell phone) were playing the mp3s. Now to head over to the home recording thread and see what's the best mic I can get for $60. By starting to try and record stuff I've fallen into a really deep rabbit hole haven't I guys? :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 20, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reporting back after getting advice RE: recording my kit from a single mic. I ended up going with the Tascam DR-05 over the comparable Zoom model, set things up as suggested (3' in front of the bass drum, about eye level) and went to town. Worked out pretty well I think, everything seems to be more or less balanced, and after some EQ trickery it actually sounds half decent (compared to the raw recording at least).

So here's the first in hopefully a long line of drum covers, suggestions always welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viqwJkfgpH4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played Rock Band for years before finally sacking up and buying an electronic kit / paying for lessons. If you think you want to play drums but never actually have before, RB is a decent way to dip your toes in and make sure it's something that you really enjoy and would want to stick with, VS buying a bunch of stuff and deciding 6 months later that it's not your thing after all. I've actually started transcribing a few of my favorite songs from the game over to proper sheet music and while the game is necessarily more simple than playing on a real kit they're decently accurate for beginners.

As others said step 1 is learning how to hold and use drum sticks, it sounds weird but if you just grab them and go to town you can injure your hands with improper repetitive movement/stress. Definitely recommend getting either a drummer buddy or paying for at least a few weeks of lessons so they can teach you proper form and correct you if need be.

And not to toot my own horn (hit my own snare?) but as I've been learning I try to record myself playing easy songs and putting them on youtube along with the sheet music. I'm basically still a beginner myself, but being able to read the sheet music while watching someone play through it would help you get started reading drum notes as well.

TND amateur drum night

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RandomCheese posted:

There was some rock band type game that came out a few years back with drums like this that were generally regarded as terrible due to lack of physical response. This seems more fully featured but you still don't connect the sticks to anything while playing so half of your technique is immediately useless (quick doubles would be hell on the wrist without bounce back) and you won't be able to do any serious development on your playing without that rebound being present. At best you can maybe maintain your timing and some limb independence but it's closer to a novelty than an expressive instrument. Personally I'd prefer a nice multi surface practice pad if I couldn't have a kit at home, I wouldn't even consider areodrums as an option.

There also doesn't appear to be anything to do with your feet, which is kind of a big deal. Even modern Rock Band still ignores the left foot, learning that coordination was my first big wall when I started playing on a proper kit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I struggle with where to stick my camcorder when I'm trying to record myself to be able to see all of my kit clearly, I never thought about just strapping it to my chest/head and going POV, that's awesome.

Also I just picked up a Zildjian K pack which added a second crash to my kit and I felt like I had cymbals everywhere, but I see I still have a ways to go :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried mocking it out in MuseScore and this sounds pretty similar to the opening drum beat:

That should be ONE ANDA EAND THREE ANDA EAND

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Did they just pull you up on stage for one song? That's pretty drat cool either way. I liked the bass player staring you down the whole song helping out his rhythm section bro :)

AARO posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good set of 3/4 time drum loops to buy? I'm looking for a sad slow piano song that is 93bpm. I'm not having any luck finding slow interesting 3/4 drum loops.

Looperman would be really cool if you could search by time signature. Everything is in 4/4.

This may not apply to what you're looking for, but for slow interesting drumming in general in 3/4 check out Tuesday's Gone. I transcribed that song to sheet music off the Rock Band chart but I haven't gotten around to actually learning it yet, it's a bit above my abilities atm.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a fellow 90s metalhead I was all set to critique your youtube samples but Storm of Light's Bane? loving solid man :)

As for writing your own stuff, probably the best thing to do is talk (as in in-person) to other musicians. People are much less likely to nihilistically poo poo on your face offline. Find a local band of which you like the rhythm section and buy them a beer and ask them how they write their poo poo. Don't try and re-invent the wheel for every instrument, learn from people who are already better than you.

eeeeeeeeedit:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695074583
:drum: + :shepface:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 11, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My instructor said Lars's trademark was hitting the snare with crash instead of the more common bass. I guess I never really noticed before but once you actually look for it holy poo poo :lol:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did he teach himself how to play drums?

I've always heard people hating on his drumming but Metallica was my favorite band in HS so I just ignored that bullshit! In 'tallica lore he was supposed to be really lovely the first time he and James met through a magazine classified. I think his cymbals kept falling over whenever he hit them...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried a few different types and seem to have settled on Vic Firth Signature: Steve Jordan. I was looking for something pretty long but not too thick or heavy and they seem to split the balance nicely. They are pretty soft though, once you get metal cymbals they'll look like you've been chewing on them after a week of practice.

In any sticks you buy, inspect the wood grain. Especially mind the bead of the stick, once I knocked a little block off the tip of one of my sticks and didn't notice it until I'd already scarred the hell out of my floor tom head, now it's only mostly coated :downs:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys got any good recommendations on drummers to check out on youtube? So far I've been watching a lot of tech death dudes playing but would love literally any well made recommendation to crib fill ideas and neat drum tricks from.

Not only are Pink Floyd drums criminally underrated, but this is one of the most technically impressive covers I've ever seen on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTZHJ1cMPE

Oh noooooooo it looks like he got copyright smacked and had to pull the version that had the full song playing underneath. I was able to get pretty close with this Youtube Doubler, you can fine tune it to get it a bit better. There's some really creative fills in this song, and a bloody ton of them, at least listen to the first 5 minutes for a lot of simple yet varied fill ideas :350:

edit:

Tatumje posted:

One of my all-time favorite drum covers came from mikeglozier. His cover of Andromeda & the Milky Way is also pretty incredible.

Actually, go ahead and watch every video on the channel. He's only uploaded five videos in total, and they are all fantastic.

Wow opposite end of the spectrum here. Also gently caress people who can consistently hit rim shots :mad: I'm trying to use them for accents in a Halloween drum cover I'm working on and I've pretty much decided that I'm just going to have to sample myself and lay the sound of a decent hit in over my own audio cuz I ain't hittin' those things live :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, happy Halloween Drum Thread :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wRS7Zc5_k

I kind of pussied out for the solo, those should really be 8th notes on the tambourine but I wasn't confident I'd be able to learn that and still have things ready to post by today. Maybe I'll do a more accurate 2.0 for next year.

p.s. Don't try and read my shirt at the end :devil:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah AFAIK your bass drum heads are less important that what's on your snare/toms because you don't usually tune it to an actual note. You don't need as much precision/quality to produce a decent low frequency THUMP.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now go try and do some 'Oldies' music from the '60s and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees were loving monsters by modern standards. Can we lay off the one-handed 16th notes guys? No? OK :smith:

edit:
I mean just look at this bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-4VGfx5lU

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 1, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well, nondescript as in most people wouldn't be able to name them unless you'd specifically studied that band/drummer. Like I couldn't tell you who the drummer for Blondie was until I tried to learn Call Me and discovered that he's an evil man who hates beginner/intermediate drummers with the burning passion of one thousand suns. 8th notes in 6/8 with a bunch of poly-rhythmic hihat accents and swung sextuplets, for 8 minutes :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Iv8UfvhM
What's that you say? Your right leg wants to take a break? gently caress you

Also stuff like Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins. 90s Grunge? Pfft yea I got this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nO33J_3lY&t=6s
:catstare:

:smithicide:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is pretty great, I always like seeing people perform who know their poo poo so well they make it look easy. I guess there's not much choice at these tempos but this guy's arms and wrists are rock solid, it's all fingers.

Bill Stevenson is another drummer I like to watch play. Dude has been writing and drumming punk rock since 1977 as a main songwriter for Decendents and ALL, among others, and makes it look as natural as walking down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De0Kh5bAM4Q&t=2511s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are some good exercises/resources for developing left leg independence? If my right and left legs are playing a consistent pattern I can usually set-and-forget them, but anything more complex than that and my house of cards tumbles down :downsrim:

Prime example, I just put up a cover of Incubus' Adolescence and I was able to find some really good quality videos of their drummer playing this song, so I think I've got it transcribed pretty accurately. The first thing is in the 6/4 verses there's ghost snares and ruffs just about everywhere. I suck at those but I think I could probably bullshit my way through even now. Where I crash and burn is in the chorus where the hihat pedal for the most part keeps steady on 8th notes throughout. Doing that with the 'irregular' bass drum just breaks my brain.

I went ahead and posted this early version because it's still really fun to play, but I'd like to be able to go back and do it 'the right way' at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMnF1XqUTY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

Listening to the recording off the album, it doesn't seem like he's playing it. It could be something he added later to stay engaged, having played it a few hundred times.

The New Breed by Gary Chester has dozens of coordination exercises if you're interested in that.

I think these are the two videos I looked at when researching this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyw8Vjm_0w4
Live in the studio, a few good shots of snare ghosting, 1:55 is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcb1TtZ3fk
Concert shot of just the drummer, I wish more bands did this. It's live live so there's a lot more embellishment and variation from the studio version but the ghosting and hihat work look pretty consistent.

It's possible he started doing the ghosting and hihat stuff live, but if I'm not playing the 'hardest' version of a song it feels like cheating, like dropping down to Hard in Rock Band :)

The New Breed sounds familiar, my drum instructor probably mentioned it. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm shopping, thanks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got my annual bonus from work and am finally gonna pick up some double bass pedals. A few pages back Pearl Eliminators were recommended, they still a good bang-for-buck buy? The P-2002C's seem to be floating around 300 right now but I don't mind assuming they should last basically forever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well GuitarCenter claimed to have a pair of Eliminators for 300 but turns out all they have left are used floor models. So I said screw it and got some Redlines for 400 instead. Just got things set up this afternoon and messed around a bit, but so far I really like them. I stuck the blue cams on and moved the beater up closer to the drum head so I would stop hitting myself in the foot and they feel pretty good. Guess I need to actually bust out the double bass chapter in Realistic Rock and start training myself up.

New New Fresh posted:

So my current snare is a 14x5.5 with an Evans Calftone and low tuning but I'm thinking about getting another snare to try and get this kind of sound https://track5.mixtape.moe/zbmmmy.mp3. Looking around on the local classifieds I have a few options in the $200-$300 range.

What would be the best choice from these options to get close to that sound? Recommendations on heads/tuning would be great too.
- Taye 14x7
- Gretsch Catalina Club 13x7
- Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5
- Pearl 12x7

I'm miles away from an expert, but to me that snare sounds pretty dry and low, which is the sound I try for as well. My drum instructor recommended Remo Controlled Sound Coated Black Dot for my snare head and, without having a whole lot to compare it to, I like it. I've also got the 4 bottom lugs adjacent to the snare wires loosened a little bit to try and kill some of the snare buzz from my first tom and I'm getting a pretty good dry cracking sound from my snare ATM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwlbiZjrUpc

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure shorted = closed? Years ago I built a bass pedal to go with Rock Band (which was basically a poo poo-tier electronic kit) by taping magnetic security toggles to the bottom of the pedal.

In fact that might be one way you could build your own HH pedal and get it working again if you can figure out what sound OPEN and SHORT correspond to.

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2967

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

praxis posted:

a ringing endorsement

You son of a bitch. j/k, a good china cymbal and a 2nd floor tom are next on my list of toys to get, probably need a bigger practice space first though.

What do you call somebody that hangs around musicians all the time?
the drummer

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haruhi was the Rock Band-iest anime. This was notable at the time because they actually animated them really playing the instruments instead of just looping some random movements over the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhhL1VBe6M

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNzfoK3-yU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess you could look up the various kinds of Samba rhythms, those are kind of like paradiddles in that they're just patterns, but they're less repetitive so they're harder to learn (or were for me anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqpjG13HXA

vvv Oh yeah, duh, if you're looking for variations on various Left Right beat combinations Stick Control the way to go. It's pretty much the drumming Bible.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 12, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

No, it's the same as tapping sticks on your thighs and stepping on the ground; either way there's a slight adjustment to a real kit with the difference in rebound and pedals existing, but you get used to it in a couple seconds.

Another option is to get a practice pad for a bass pedal, assuming your e-kit has a way to clamp onto one. I've got a Gibralter that I had hooked up to my Rock Band kit for a few years and it seemed to hold up well. Would give you a much more realistic-feeling foot experience compared to pressing down on a naked pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TvLCaIZnvU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice brear end :pervert: I picked up a used axe about a year ago that's been largely gathering dust in my drum studio, should really work out a schedule so I pick it up at least once a week or something.

Drums and bass go together obviously, even with basically no stringed instrument experience I was able to thunk out some basic beginner exercises just because I didn't have to think too much about keeping time with my right hand. Now if only I could play bass... like a real man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpdTHpnJ4Y
:allears:
(Just to make this somewhat percussion related, John Wright is also one of my favorite drummers for his tom work.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

I’m a new drummer and have started playing with a band that is getting ready for our first show. We have a set list that we’ve practiced enough to where I pretty much remember what I do on the drums for every song. I’d like to improve on this and learn drum notation so I can write down the beats and song structure and stop relying entirely on memory. Is there a book that can show me how to do that?

Every once in a while I'll forget how I'm 'supposed' to notate a certain thing (cross stick VS rimshot, etc) and have ended up referring to this PDF a lot. It seems to have an example of just about everything and seems pretty accurate from what I can tell:
http://web.mit.edu/merolish/Public/drums.pdf

Kryopsis posted:

As I wrote before in the thread, I'm a beginner drummer.

I've been trying to learn how to play 'London Calling' and while I can currently play the four different grooves as well as transition between them, I'm having trouble figuring out the number of measures for each.
Halp!

I look at Rock Band videos to transcribe drum charts all the time, they're usually close enough to at least get a good foundation before trying to figure out where all the ghosts and ruffs and stuff are. You could look through this vid to at least see where the patterns change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdL4N8STtsc

I could probably bang out some sheet music based on this in a few hours if you still need it (excessive segno'ing is a pet peeve of mine).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fartzone_42069 posted:

There's nothing wrong with NOT having an 18inch floor Tom, however I prefer using bigger drums and tuning them up "higher" to get the full sound, vs using "smaller" drums and tuning them lower. There's so many different ways, and preferred sounds.

I'm looking to do something like this, as I also prefer lower sounds in general. I'm still playing on a Tama Imperialstar I got a few years ago and it's got 10", 12" toms 14" floor, with a 20" bass. At least I'd like to move the 12" over one, get a 14" tom and add a 16" floor. I just play as a hobby so I'm cool with finding cheap used shells and just working with the heads/tuning to get them sounding decent. Is there a better place to find used instruments like that besides trawling Craigslist / garage sales?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

You may also want to look into a doumbek (like a tiny djembe) or even a cajon. If you're not familiar, it's a box that you sit on rigged up with snares, so you can palm the front center of it for a bass sound or tap the top front for a snare sound. Then you can start to get crazy by adding in heel knocks with your feet on the sides and poo poo like that.

Hope that helps!

Just saw this video today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

fartzone_42069 posted:

Also. Am I a genius? Lol.

Not until you can do it with a consistent rhythm :smuggo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

♫ I've got it bad got it bad got it baaaaaaaaaaaad... i'm hot fo' teacher... ♫

Cocaine is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwhQs0Dozk

a HELL of a drug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbanpC_K62M
:catdrugs:
(the ride cymbal diddles make me angry that I can't do them as fast)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*regular brain* blanket forts

*exploding brain* pillow forts

*galaxy brain* bass drum forts

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

It's time to play 'Alex Van Halen OR several idling Harley-Davidsons?'!!!

To be entirely fair, isn't the Hot for Teacher intro meant to sound like an idling motor?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every once in a while I fall down a Youtube rabbit hole of suggested music videos. Sometimes it's 80s, sometimes 90s, Motown, metal, whatever. Today was grindcore :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3pSBOkHsE

I seem to top out around 160bpm for what I can even attempt to play consistently so watching 30 minutes of this is :stare: Those loving ride diddles man. Also what the hell kind of cymbal is that in the foreground? I don't know what I would ever do with one but I kind of want one now...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a good resource for learning heel-up bass technique? I'm practicing a song that has some 32nd note bass doubles that I can't actually double bass for because there's also hi-hat involved, and the day after being in the studio I'm noticing some slight knee pain. So my goal is to reduce the stress I'm putting on my leg while working up speed for quick double hits, which as I understand it is heel-up's thing. Right now I play heel down and just kind of thunk my whole leg down on the pedal, which is probably not ideal at any speed. It's Buckcherry's Rescue Me, for the morbidly curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fzA455 posted:

I'm sitting here trying to explain it, but it's really something that's so much easier to demonstrate in person. I've never played heel-down. And you're exactly right, that leg thunking is what's causing the knee pain. Most likely you need to set your throne a bit higher. And then set the tension tighter on your pedal. It's impossible to play fast if the pedal's spring isn't set tight enough so the pedal can snap back into striking position again for each hit. Put your heel up high and just start striking hard quarter notes, with your foot right in the center of the pedal. Adjust your throne height as you go. Eventually you'll find a position where you're not lifting your leg so much and using all thigh muscle. Basically, you'll find a sweet spot where the workload is equally spread between all your leg muscles. Also you'll probably want to try moving the throne back and forth as you do that too. Another thing besides the pedal tension is the adjustment where the footboard sits at a steeper angle. I do that. You hit and kinda barely let off the pedal as it bounces back and then you hit again. At first it may feel like you're just hovering your leg in the air. It take a lot of fine tuning to get the pedal and throne in order, and then it just may be awkward at first. DEFINITELY do good leg-stretches before hand. But, what you're doing already is lifting your whole leg, thunking it back down, so kinda wasting energy.

A lot of adjustments may be needed, but you're hurting yourself by playing heel-down. You'll be happy about it in the end! :)

Thanks for the info. I had been setting my throne height so my thigh was parallel to the floor, but pretty tall so that has me sitting a bit further back from the bass pedal, so now I'm scooting the snare drum forward and reaching further out for toms and cymbals, and yeah I bet I lean forward too much as well.

It sounds like you're saying my 'neutral' leg position should have my foot resting on the pedal rather than the floor, so instead of having to lift then come down on the pedal, I just head down from the initial position. That makes a lot more sense than what I've been doing. I took drum lessons for a few years but quit when I felt like I could physically do everything I wanted to, and it just became a matter of learning the songs themselves. Now that I'm starting to branch out into quicker tempos I'm needing to develop new skills for the first time in a while.

Duke Chin posted:

Also the knee pain thing is definitely new to me but, yeah like you said, my first inclination is to check your seat height and distance from your pedal. Also Takes No Damage is there already a preexisting knee issue? You shouldn't be thunk'ing down with your whole leg - think of it as sproinging up and down on the ball of your foot. Like your lower leg-ankle-ball of foot is one spring - that way when you drop your leg, you can also flex your foot down on the leg's rebound to get a second "stroke"/beater hit out your motion.

No other knee issue on the right leg at least, I think it's just me trying to twitch my entire leg for every bass note.

This is a good view of my whole leg moving with each bass note, lots of wasted force and motion now that I really look at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAY6v7p0aXQ

Gonna jack that throne up tomorrow and see if I can find a more efficient resting position.