Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I, Serotonin, oath that I will paint this unit of 4 bases of Cossack Moloitsy riflemen (12 figures) from the 15mm historical wargame "By Fire and Sword" (or Ogniem i Mieczem in its original Polish) for the month of May

'Awwww, it's a baby!

Im playing conservative as its my first oath ever and this is a busy month for me and I am awaiting delivery of the MDF bases to put them on (they come with bases in the pack but they are metal and I dont like them- so so fussy). Might well end up adding the 4 bases spearmen to them at some point though.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pierzak posted:

Good choice, OiM bases are notorious for getting paint worn off the edges (even on display minis :doh:).

That was exactly why I went with my tried and tested laser cut MDF option. I based a few command units for my 6mm Napoleonics on metal washers and it was a right pain in the arse to stop the paint flaking off the edges, even after several layers of varnish.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The Detektuv’s Jurnal: WIP shot number 1 on my Cossack Moloitsy from Wargamer Pl.

So far Ive prepped them, based them on laser cut 2mm MDF bases, PVA and a mix of sharp sand smeared all over, then spray primed with Army Painter Leathr Brown followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade from GW. I find brown undercoat with a dark wash a good way to basecoat smaller scale models with lots of cloth and flesh on display.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I plan on doing Baccus Austrians as an oath soon too. I love painting 6mm. I love it so much I've just sold 2 huge painted 6mm Napoleonics armies and now intend on doing them all over again. This bloody hobby...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin posted:

The Detektuv’s Jurnal: WIP shot number 1 on my Cossack Moloitsy from Wargamer Pl.

So far Ive prepped them, based them on laser cut 2mm MDF bases, PVA and a mix of sharp sand smeared all over, then spray primed with Army Painter Leathr Brown followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade from GW. I find brown undercoat with a dark wash a good way to basecoat smaller scale models with lots of cloth and flesh on display.

Second WIP shot.

Faces done, basecoated clothing. Advantage of a brown primer, with dark wash is that all the leather straps and things are basecoated, coz straps are annoying as hell to paint. Next Im going to do a quick single colour highlight on clothing, then do the guns, bags etc, then wash. Going for quick and easy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cheers moths!

Final WIP shot. Just the musket stocks to paint, and the leggings and shoes to wash and highlight and Im done, other than basing.

Pretty pleased with how these came out. Not bad for a rush job, and the sculpts on the whole are pretty good (although i dont like the weird hunched over looking dude much). Cant beat mohawks, topknots and huge moustaches. Cossacks rock!

Going to have to dig out my lightbox for the final pic, although not sure how I will get on now I no longer own a dSLR. :(

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

OATH COMPLETE Cossack Moloitsy for "By Fire and Sword" in 15mm by Wargamer Pl.

The Detektuv’s Jurnal:

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 11, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Kind of sad I missed out on June due to life getting in the way, but this time a 180 degree shift from my historical minis I oathed last time.

This time its 10mm Sci Fi!

I, Serotonin, oath 1 Shaltari Gaia Heavy Gate, 2 Spirit Light Gates and 4 stands of Shaltari Braves (12 troops)for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames for July

Going to be busting out my airbrush with these.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Looks like Im going to have an oath failure. IM so hosed off right now.

Project was fnished other than matt varnishing and painting the cockpits. Went to a wargames show this morning, bought a can of Army Painter Matt spray (never used it before) and this happened.

The large gate on the right and the one next to it are covered in the frosting of doom and the paint on the large gate has started to smudge in one area.
I am on holiday next week and its majorly unlikely Im now going to finish my oath becuase of this. So hosed off.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thundercloud posted:

I think the cure for frosting is brush on varnish, but the painting megathread would be the best place to ask.

Yeah it generally is- gloss varnish that is. Its dried better than that looks, so I might be able to salavge it

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

Doesn't have to be brush on. Any gloss will fix the frosting and then you can re-matte after that is dry.

Yeah Ive just brushed on some Johnsons Future floor polish ont he worst effected areas and its pretty much hidden them. Still got to sort out the smudged area of paint on one of them. Oath back on track!!!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Deespite my earlier drama

:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

No Cut and Swap Im afraid- these models are too nice and too pricey to hack about!

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

A_Bluenoser posted:

I bought them in January or February as part of a big pack. They certainly look like they could be from a mould that was wearing out, a bit rough and pitted, but the detail underneath is not too bad. There was quite a bit of metal between the legs I had clear out. The metal was also different from the British, much harder and more brittle so a bit of a pain to work with. It was no problem in the end, just some extra work cleaning and gluing, but a bit of a disappointment after the very high quality British minis. Lots more of them to do so I just needed to come up with a system to work with them. The French cavalry looks better so it may just have been a bad batch of castings.

Yeah my Baccus French were exactly like that but I bought them like 6 years ago. I sold them all off recently in order to do them all again based differently once the new range is released.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I, Serotonin, oath to paint this Cygnar Ironclad Heavy Warjack for Warmachine by Privateer Press.

Bit gutted coz I wanted to oath more but the unit of Mage Hunter Strike Force I need to get painted ASAP, I already airbrushed the cloaks. I'm taking part in an escalation league and playing Scyrah so cant get distracted painting too much else, hence only one Cygnar Warjack this month.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oath Complete

Da Detektuv's Jurnal

I decided to try and add some rust to the back boiler using Modelmates liquid rust
http://www.modelmates.co.uk/1_en-UK/Opaque_Rust_Effect/Opaque_Rust_Effect.html

Came out reasonably OK. I think I might need to practice a bit more with it to pull it off well.

One time bonus- Parts List

Parts list:
Undercoat with some cheapy spray on car paint.
Blue- Airbrushed P3 Exile Blue over black undercoat, then zenithal highlighting with P3 Cygnar Blue Base, Cygnar Blue Highlight and Cygnar Blue Highlight/Vallejo Air Color White (wish I had been a tad braver and gone for a lighter final highlight). Pinwash with Citadel Azurmen Blue and Azurmen Blue+Coat D'arms Black Superwash in darker areas.
Steel bits- Foundry Metal, highlighted with Foundry Spear Point. Washed with Coat D'Arms Black Superwash.
Shoulder pads- Coat D'arms Black highlighted with Foundry Charcoal Black, Foundry Chainmail for metal nodules.
Brassy Bits- Foundry Spearshaft Shade basecoat then Vallejo Game Color Brassy Brass. Washed with Agrax Earthshade then highlighted with Vallejo Game Color Glorious Gold.
Eyes- Vallejo Model Color Flat Red
Rust on boiler- Modelmates Rust Effect
Base- sand and PVA, basecoated with Tamiya Flat Earth, drybrushed with Vallejo Model Color Iraqi Sand, then Iraqi Sand/ Foundry Canvas Light.

One time bonus- Box art

Im trying this on a tad as I havent painted the Cygnar swan on the top plate coz I suck at freehanding. I throw myself on the mercy of the judges as to whether I qualify for this one.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 4, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

ijyt posted:

Am I allowed to post Oath Complete before it's accepted?

I hope so because I've done exactly that in the last 24 hours and I'd hate for my work to mean jack poo poo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I, Serotonin, oath a Phoenix heavy warjack, 2 Ghost Snipers and Sylys Wishnar, all from the Retribution of Scyrah by Privateer Press

The Phoenix is part under coated and part not because I tore down a fully made and under coated Hydra to change it into a Phoenix. I've been wanting to oath some Warmachine for a while but timings have never worked out due to me having to get stuff onto the table for an escalation league my group is running. These models are the last of my 35 point list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oath Complete

Theres a bit of shine on the Warjack as Ive not had a chance to dullcote it yet. Dont hate...

• Locked thread