Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Beamed posted:

The FAQ says the game is fun despite the earlier warnings. So, well: is it?

NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

3 Tablets Daily posted:

How does the game fudge population numbers so that the game will complain about unemployment?

There is literally a line of code that's called "GetFudgedPopulation" that inflates your numbers.

pre:
simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
    a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
    if (500 >= a)
        return a;
    if (40845 < a)
        return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
    a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
    return Math.floor(a)
};
So unless you have 499 or fewer citizens, the agents ingame aren't actually representative of your population.

AnoMouse posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but

There has to be some context to this. No game designer could be this stupid.

Here is the context. Long story short: they removed a ton of features (like skyscrapers floors counting as their own units), then started cutting corners (pedestrians teleport to their destinations instead of walking), then just started chopping away at core elements (drastically reducing city size) because the people making the game didn't understand game balance or play simulation games at all.

And before trolls start coming in and being contrarian about city size, modders had already found the "increase city plot size" DLC within the game within a week of release. They enabled it and found that it didn't impact performance much if at all (Residential-only cities generate ludicriously high populations already).

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 1, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

RVT posted:

Has anyone worked out the economics of producing the different stuff in the game? For example, if you wanted to make processors, you need plastic and alloy. Are you better off importing the plastic, or importing oil, then refining it into plastic yourself taking all the per hour costs of the refinery/extra trade depots into account? Stuff like that.

The profitability of your industries is entirely dependent on (A) the component goods ever actually making it to your factories and not getting stuck in traffic, and (B) them ever fixing the glitch where resources never replenish ever.

The best thing to do is export TVs. It was supposed to be a shifting market based off of supply and demand among the playerbase, but all those features were disabled at launch because the servers couldn't even handle people just playing the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The game is actually well designed in my opinion. Pretty much all the problems are related to the technical implementation of the design. A lot of people have a hard time making the distinction between those two things though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdu1ho2Ic4

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Like I said, lots of people can't distinguish between those two things. A bug that occurs when taxes are set to 0% before any unhappiness is generated has nothing to do with the game design. Did you know there's a bug in SimCity2K where if you take out a loan and repay it right at the start of the game you make $1 million per year forever? What a shittily designed game!!!

No, see, the problem isn't that the taxes counter unhappiness forever. The problem is that there is little to no RCI interaction as a result of poorly designed systems.

The way the game works:
  • R Sim goes to work
  • R Sim gets money and immediately leaves (the workday is a fraction of a second long, the commute being 8 hours)
  • R Sim gets home, the R building gets money, sim immediately leaves for work
  • Anything bad that results is a result of the building not having enough money.

And that's it. There's no interdependency. I can list the C and I functions, but they are in just as much of a vacuum (save for the occasional C that requires freight to function, but those inevitably fail due to traffic and pathfinding). Not only that, but the original version of the exploit required parks to work, and parks weren't even necessary in the game because Sims lacked happiness mechanics-- so they just made parks give out money, instead. These aren't glitches, they're design flaws.

How about the fact that they used agents for everything, including water and power? Electricity physically fails to arrive at destinations in this game because of pathfinding or being intercepted. That's not a glitch. That's a side effect of an awfully designed system, about as much of a glitch as the inability to play Solitaire multiplayer.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What am I supposed to be observing over the course of this video?

The city you are watching is literally just a big mass of residential zoning. No utilities. No commercial. No industrial. People move to this suburban hellhole so they can never have running water or get a job, but it's fine because the taxes are at 0%.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

To do this you have to have a region that already has a City Hall (to let you set taxes) and you need to gift your city enough money to build all the roads.

It is also possible without gift money. Check the related videos.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 2, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CapnAndy posted:

Portal lasts for, what? 3 hours? 4? Game length has nothing to do with quality.

If you bought Portal, you could have reliably played it in the first 3 weeks after it came out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WeaponBoy posted:

At what point does traffic sucking switch from 'lovely design' to 'lovely city'?

Around patch 2.0 when the design team added more traffic lights to everybody's cities out of pure spite.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rent posted:

simcityplayers.txt
:goonsay:

Sorry guys, just wanted to make a city. I don't know why everyone is so hostile and angry. I read some people found the game too short, but I'm not the type of dude to spend 500 hours playing Skyrim, trying to find the perfect chair for my dragon house or whatever. And I did look at reviews, most said: game is fun, but buggy/servers are bad. I'm asking of the game is fun is all.

You're really bad at this trolling thing.

movax posted:

FWIW I suggested in mod forum that we rename the thread to 'Buy SimCity and get banned!'

I really wish this ended up being the case.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

davey4283 posted:

Have the patches made this game any better or no?

Each new patch breaks more than it fixes.

For example, the latest patch made parks stop functioning altogether!

Just kidding about that. It's actually a dialogue box glitch. If land value or education is too low, Sims complain about parks. If there aren't parks, they complain about lack of shopping, lack of shopping means they complain about water, and so on. So I was kidding about parks not functioning but totally loving serious about the patches each breaking the game worse and worse.

edit:

In other interesting bugs news, cars are now disappearing in 3.0!

quote:

@MaxisGuillaume: @F2CMaDMaXX It's the rule that sends workers from C/I buildings to civic buildings that are requesting them

Due to a scripting error, cars will end up blinking out of existence, causing the buildings that spawned them to never get money, so they can't pay taxes, so they end up abandoned, and since the new version requires a waiting period before demolished buildings are rebuilt, completely shutting down your economy a house at a time. Apparently pedestrian-only cities are a sight to behold!

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 10, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ClemenSalad posted:

Maybe hes one of those adventurous people who can just have fun with something despite its flaws, almost like its a game.

People have fun watching Twilight, jumping off buildings onto their faces, and literally eating poo poo.

"Fun" is not synonymous with quality, just the same way as the adjectives "blue," "round," or "American."

Buried alive posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm just a slight masochist and want to personally experience all of the crap that apparently goes on (no left turns unless there's an intersection, but four-way intersections tend to cause traffic jams, so...). Basically it seems like the game is handicapped, but I want to see if I can build a successful city anyway. This is mostly coming from the fact that, having not experienced it directly myself I think I can come up with something workable. This would not be the first time that I was proven totally wrong, but if it requires Origin it's never going to happen. Oh well.

I could understand maybe in a twisted logic way that you want to play a terrible game to see if you can make lemonade from lemons. Except that you'd literally be paying EA money, rewarding them for their lack of effort, and reinforcing the concept that what they did and are doing is good and sound business practice. If you were pirating the game, cool. But if you buy the game you are the problem.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 13, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Honestly, I've posted videos, screenshots, and even direct lines of code from the game that detail gamebreaking glitches, horrendous design flaws, overall disdain toward consumers, and general incompetence; and Goons with a capital G still saw the posts, said, "This goon is just being a goon," and bought the game to be contrarian.

Compared to that, reading a bunch of prerelease reviews written by paid shills who didn't actually play the game doesn't sound so bad!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Well, at least X-COM was pretty good, even if it didn't have as much longevity as its predecessor. 2nd best in the series.

And Civ 5 isn't bad from what I hear nowadays!

But 2 out of 4 with lots of info is kind of awful and makes me really want to play poker against you for money.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I remember a guy trying to get a handjob in Vegas for 50 bucks at Gooncon.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fragrag posted:

Watching an LP of this game, and is seriously everything an agent system? This guy migrated a power plant from one city to another. You would think this wouldn't pose a problem, but it took some time for the electricity to seep through the city. :psyduck:

Dude, that's nothing. Electricity is subject to pathfinding glitches.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I think you mean to call them nasty hackers, not modders!

Well, actually, they're just enabling features that are already in the game.

I mean, they're still modders, but we can only presume that EA was going to sell expanded city limits as DLC at this point.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

explosivo posted:

So apparently Sim City has sold 1.6 million copies to date. They said 1.1 were in sales in the first two weeks, which leaves just half a million sales in almost 2 months time. Yeesh.

Don't worry, the stupid loving carnival DLC will sell like hotcakes :v:

Keep in mind, none of those numbers include returns, which apparently numbered in the several hundreds of thousands (and enough for Amazon to pull it off its site), especially when players couldn't play the game they purchased within the first 2 weeks.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

yulia tymotebow posted:

Anyone have a link from that one guys posts where he goes from, "Hey I just bought this game, why are you nerds all complaining about it" to 10 posts later, "Well that was a big mistake".

The best part was that his initial "I'm buying the game" post got him probated for either being a troll or being illiterate. Which I totally agree with, in either case.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Kid Kisser posted:

Hi, Mayors – today we are announcing that we are moving the release date of the Mac version of SimCity to August. We have made this tough decision because we do not believe it is ready for primetime yet. We want to ensure the Mac is a great experience for our players and that is why we are taking more time.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-mac-update-and-beyond

Amazing.

Read: The Mac version cannot be ported by using agents or ingame scripting. We're going to have to find actual programmers for this level of post-launch support.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

This post is art. It's so precious, so perfect.

I've been keeping an eye on your story, Lamquin. You got this game at launch. You were one of the lucky few that managed to be able to play the game before March 15th. You thought you made it through everything.

"The game's just fun!" "Critical thinking is for spergs!" It's like watching a man defend Star Trek: Into Darkness. You had a good chance of the world never challenging your point of view.

And now, after crashes and a random disaster making you completely abandon your old save, you have come to another roadblock. The game is "far from perfect," in your eyes, which is like saying an empty glass is "far from full" in a cute attempt at hiding the truth. You say, "It's broken." You ask, "Make it go, please?" Your faith in the unfaithable is admirable. I wish I had you as a customer.

The answer to your question is that industry is fundamentally broken. A lot of people were just using commercial for a while until it was apparent that commercial was also optional. Attempting to run an industry is a risky venture, plagued with bugs; the feature is optional due to a broken game overall but best avoided in spite of one's curiosity. It is an allegory for Simcity, itself.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I'm 90% sure that figure doesn't account for returns. I wouldn't be surprised if at least half the copies of the game were returned.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WeaponBoy posted:

You really think a million copies of the game got returned? I get that you really want EA to die horribly, but that is so laughably crazy.

I'll put it this way: Enough copies of the game were returned that Amazon pulled the game.

I'd wager at least a few hundred thousand.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Didn't Skate come out in '08 too? Holy poo poo.

And Henry Hatsworth, if I remember correctly.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Isn't this second time they're fixing money gifting?

If we include the initial "money no longer travels by truck" patch, I'm pretty sure this is the fourth.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh my god. If you read more on that page, they also put in, get this, congestion awareness that alters the pathfinding based off how much traffic there is in front of a car!

HOLY loving poo poo THE GAME IS ALMOST OUT OF ALPHA.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WeaponBoy posted:

Just two more weeks to SimCity Man, man! :suicide:

e: Looks like they're running the Mac beta now and it's the full game for a few weeks:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9496698.page

Oh, fancy that, I wonder if this "Beta" will actually be about collecting feedback, or if it will be purposely designed to prevent players from discovering the game's flaws?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fayez Butts posted:

Wow! You guys are really angry! First of all I only said infinite freedom design-wise, and I'm really sorry I didn't edit my post to explain in excruciating detail how the agent system was a poor choice due to a lack of any sort of pathfinding and range issues (re: electricity). I haven't been keeping my reasons_simcity_is_broken.xls file very update due to more interesting things to do, anyone want to email me theirs?

Wow, you're an awful troll.

I'm going to pretend that you're just incredibly stupid for 5 whole seconds enough to answer for any lurkers who may be hanging around.

No, the indicators don't do anything. That's because the game doesn't care. You can literally do a city without C or I and it'll function just fine. The game is fundamentally broken.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fayez Butts posted:

You guys can't keep me down!

Spending $60 on a gimmick is probably the gooniest thing I've ever seen.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

KKKlean Energy posted:

Seeing the thread get wound up about a happy customer is almost as amusing as watching a stubborn customer get stabbed in the back by his own purchase :)

It's somehow even more amusing to watch somebody white knight a self-proclaimed troll.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Wheany posted:

I have to say that Simcity has definitely had the best entrtainment/money ratio of any game I've never played. And it just keeps going.

EA has somehow managed to discover the best "free to play" game. Or rather, "free to watch," which has been a nonstop source of comedy for nearly 6 months now.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

cthulhoo posted:

Also, their engine might require some optimizing to support bigger plots for their target hardware spec.

[citation needed]

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

eXXon posted:

From what I'm reading, gifting was a major bug that was fixed somewhere around version 4 or so, but it was re-introduced in v7.3 (gently caress's sake). I mean they still have developers working on bugfixes, but I guess nobody's bothering to test the limited changes they make.

To be fair, the old gifting "bug" was that gifts used to be sent via truck instead of wire transfer, and those gifts tended to get stuck in traffic or killed before reaching the City Hall of the recipient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chocobo posted:

So it's been many months, I think I'm about ready to reinstall this game now that all the bugs and issues have been fixed! Every single one of them!

HERE I GO TO A WORLD OF MAGICAL SIMULATION

NO DON'T

• Locked thread