Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Awesome Andy posted:

GGs 360 goons, sorry about the lack of a microphone and screwing up the bane matchups.
I need to figure out some decent combos with Ares because I'm running out of shenanigans once I teleport behind someone.

b2d4 and d1d4 are the two best things to come with after that teleport. They can easy string into more great things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Evil Canadian posted:

Since we doing the tier discussion thing here is my personal opinion on the tier list after the patch.

http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/inj...g7o00gr00il-bk5

Not really using the board to its fullest there, but consider that S, A, B, C and D as far as the groupings go.

This list feel pretty right. I'd move Lex up, but not into the next group. Those set-ups he has are awesome, and that charge is a good reversal for a lot of things.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

sponsz posted:

With Grundy there's a few things you have to watch out for. Corpse walk, or whatever the walk forward into grab is called, is one. It has like three hits of armor and the ex leaves you right next to him. You have to jump over this or get back really far, I don't think any of your dudes have anything that'll knock him out of it. MB Swamp hands will lead into a combo and hits low? so be careful during combos. His d2 is really, really good. It covers a wide area, and afterwards they can go into a full combo on hit, so be careful trying to jump in or do crossovers. If you are trying to grab him on wakeup he can MB trait throw, so if you think they're gonna do that you have to bait it and jump or something. I don't think he can punish Green Lantern's lift move at range, so that might be safe, but I'm not sure. Jump projectile should be a good move against him with GL. With Bane you can try to abuse venom armor moves? And Lobo is asssssss

ninja edit: Try GL gatling gun against him, that should beat his armor moves

Not sure if it changed, but GL's Gatling Gun can stop Grundy's Super dead, if spammed. Also be careful using GL's Ring Slam, if Grundy can predict it, a Working Corpse is just bound to eat it with armor.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

checkstock posted:

I'm finding that my character crisis in this game is really killing my motivation to ever play it and get better than terrible at it.

Someone should tell me who to play without knowing anything about me or what I like.

Go with Ares and b2d4 and d1d4 to display your God-like powers.

Edit: Made my own chart

Unbound fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 1, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

gannyGrabber posted:

I ran into a guy named KAKAROT and gave him tips on how a clash is like taking a senzu bean, and how Lex Luthor is the only one with spirit bomb. I am a nerd.

Cyborg has a Final Flash-ish supermove. Too bad they don't have a clash with this reference.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

SuddenBlackout posted:

I remember talking to some MK guys before and they mentioned that MK9 had the same problems involving stance change and combos not working. Glad to see NRS is so consistent.

You know, now that I think of it, early Cyrax was able to 111xxnet, but I could only get it roughly %50 of the time. I bet this would explain it. It later however it just became impossible when his net got nerfed.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Toady posted:

I hope they patch it.
I second this, regardless of how funny it is.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't recall hearing about any Cyrax combos being affected by the stance thing. The one example I can vividly remember was a particular Kung Lao combo.
It was probably just me dropping it then, either way I hope it's more something an quick hitbox fix could deal with and not some hardcore engine thing.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Oh man, Scorpion? They made him look pretty sweet in the character design, and I for one really like how he turned out artistically. His move pool seemed pretty much the same, differences I noticed were a j3 (the sword jump attack), his throw, and his Spear. The Spear looked like it would act like Batman Grapple, some sort of attack, but stuns if MBed. That j3 looked like it could have similar crossover mechanics of Black Adam due to it swinging behind his model. I wish his super was cooler, really felt lacking there. At the same time, I'm glad they didn't just use his MK9 X-ray attack. It also really needed Dan Forden's 'Toasty' in it somewhere. Hopefully, it'll randomly happen on his d2, which looked to be the MK Uppercut. I noticed he looked like he damaged Superman when activating his Trait, but that might have been something else. A Damage Buff seems most likely, though if it were like Raven and he got an altered move pool, that'd be cool too.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AndyElusive posted:

Ya that seems likely since it does meter burned what it normally does in MK. Strange they would have him go for spear so many times and not even show a cold one connecting at all for comparison.

My thought here would be that it is actually the same, but MBing it decreases the damage drop off for using it in a combo by a good margin.

AndyElusive posted:

Good eye. I didn't see it hit Superman at first but now that I do I'm thinking it acts less like a buff and maybe more like a combination of Aquaman and Black Adams trait or maybe a lesser mix of all three to an extent.

I wonder then if it's a circular AoE around Scropion, or something like Flash's Wall thing in terms of hitbox. If it's the earlier then I will have found my main for this game.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Just A Friend posted:

Scorpion: My family is dead!!
Batman: Join the club.

I really just want Scorpion to yell "VENGEANCE!" every clash.

Sinestro: Feeling yellow?
Scorpion: VENGEANCE!

Green Arrow: I hate yellow

Grundy: Grundy smash little man

It works so well.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AradoBalanga posted:

They're even funnier when Scorpion begins the clash.

Scorpion: VENGEANCE!!
Batgirl: This is usually the part where I quip.

Scorpion: VENGEANCE!!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Lurdiak posted:

I should point out that it's implied in MK9 that the reason he never broke ranks with Quan Chi is partly because of the shame he felt at not being able to stay his hand (despite Raiden promising to petition the Elder Gods to resurrect his clan if he spared Sub-Zero) made him want to hide from the world, and partly due to the Lin Kuei cyborgs interrupting his match with Sub-Zero 2 just before what would likely have been the moment Scorpion realizes Sub Zero 2 is a good kid.

Unlike Injustice, MK9's story mode has a lot of clever character moments like that.

E: Whoops, double post.

I wouldn't so much call it shame, though that is unarguably present, but more so loyalty. Often, Quan Chi would bark out orders like, "Restraint, Scorpion." To me this came off as part of the spell that Quan Chi would have used to resurrect him, a catch-22 in the case of Scorpion turning on him. You'll notice that Noob Saibot also seems to do exactly as Quan Chi says without question, however it is short lived.

To get back on topic; I really think Scorpion is going to fit in nicely in terms of character balance. He seems like a pretty agile character, so I could only hope he's part of the 'Acrobat' characters. It'd be a shame if I can't slide on Atlantis' Water Pipe and then summon fire under-water.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Deleting all of the game save data is apparently the only way to fix the control thing. Also it downloades up to the last compat pack, but scorpion and the last red son dlc don't even show up in the dlc list. I bought the red son gl costume and don't have it now. Someone help me :(

Go to your download history and select it there.

Also, Scorpion is the most fun I have had with any character so far. This is great.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Where is my download history? I don't mess with dlc much. I looked through the marketplace and I don't see either the red son 2 pack or the black lantern pack. I guess they got taken down for some reason?

Xbox Guide > Profile > Account > Download I believe

EDIT: Good games Calamity! It figures the Mortal Kombat Character would be the one to click with me.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 5, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Foodahn posted:

I just bought this, and for some reason the Season Pass.

I don't know why. I'm awful at fighting games and I have little to no interest in superheroes. Should be awesome. Is there a character that is generally regarded as terrible but is still fun to play?

I like Scorpion a lot, even managed to win a ranked match with him just now. It's all a matter of trying them all and picking the ones you really feel a thing for.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So far I've managed to hit someone 4 times with Scorpions Teleport Punch in a single combo. I want to try to go for 5, but I don't know if that's possible. Either way, comboing Teleport Punches off of each other looks cool as hell. It's just like a pillar of fire that the recipient bounces around in.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Holy Calamity! posted:

This owns, I'm glad Scorpion clicked for you. It was great watching you whomp on people in that survivor match earlier today.

Anyone playing on 360?

I'm online now, son.

But yeah, he's great. I find it ironic it would be him, but it had to be someone right? On an added note, after winning my first ranked match ever, with him, I proceeded to get another 12 in a row. Must be that teleport.

Edit: More great fights! It looks like I gotta figure out that Hawkgirl Mace Charge thing next, and really how to get in on Hawkgirl.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AndyElusive posted:

Doomsdays supernova will always be worse because it's unblockable and requires pubbies to grasp the concept of dashing at the right moment on reaction or when they expect it or even performing an appropriate attack to stuff it at the right time.

Whilst you're taught that down blocking will block everything except for overheads during the tutorial.

But I have no doubt teleport punch will cause tears to flow regardless since, ya know, anything except for letting them win will cause an overflow.

Maybe it's me, but after hours of stomping pubbies in ranked matches with Scorpion, I didn't get any kind of hate mail. That teleport is all the fun of Ares with the "DON'T JUMP" aspect of Batgirl.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So far, my favorite Scorpion Combo is j3 db3 d2 j3 db3 db3MB j3 db3. It only does like 19%, but it looks cool and really disorients the enemy. I've also found j3 db3 d2 j2 112 bf1MB j3 db3 to be another really cool looking one, can't remember the damage though. His Hellfire is by far his best move, forcing them to do something they don't want to do. Jump. If someone is in the air, just throw a db3 at 'em and try to hit the 112bf1mb off of the little juggle room you have.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AndyElusive posted:

His unique clash interactions are worth the season pass, as corny as most of his lines are.

"Grundy kill you dead!"
"Fatality!"

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Fibby Boy posted:

Well yeah explaining games is easy. Problem is getting said person to grasp the mechanics. I know full well how the mechanics in this game works. Doesn't mean I can get the basics down.

I'm lucky to properly cancel in this game. Most of my combos are just chained supermoves, IE Scorpion's Teleport. Do I try to sit down and learn these combos, yes. Can I do them, no. But it's the fun I get out of loving them up, and something else miraculous coming to be. I still have yet to hit the Scorpion combo I want to do, but in the process found out a bunch of funny things about him. Same is true with Ares. I found that 112d4 does work and looks cool, all on accident.

But you should be glad it's just the combos you have trouble with. I have the biggest trouble with blocking in this game. Blocking and Throw-canceling.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I agree. I just couldn't find an image of the improved one on my phone. He looked similar to that in 600 Wonder Woman. Sad they had to loose the mustache though. He'd be great in game grabbing, throwing and hitting people with it.

I have this great image of a giant egg slapping Batman across the face with a racially-offensive mustache. NRS, I hope your listening. I would pay $20 for this.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Will you post these combos? I'm LOVING Scorpion. Thanks!

Yeah, he's a real blast to play.

That combo is for when they are jumping within range of your j3. Best way to make this happen is with some Hellfires to bait the jump. The j3 db3 d2 j2 db3 db3mb j1 db3. It does something like 23% but it looks super cool.

Off that db3mb you could time out a 11xxbf1mb j3 db3 to look even cooler. I can't remember the damage though.

I also like to dfmb cancel the b1 combo string into j3 db3 d2 j2 db3. That last teleport will knock them to about 3/4th screen. This just happens to be a great place to throw a tossup between Hellfire and Bloody Spear.

You can also throw a teleport, though this is the least safe route, and catch them either in the air or mid wakeup. If you get them in the air, just go ahead and d2 j3 db3mb j2 db3 and start with the above toss up.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Did I miss all of the Xbox Goon Fun? Awww...

Well if any of you would still want to play, I'm on, my GT is: UnboundIr0n M4n.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

SuddenBlackout posted:

All of these things are true.

Plus many more messages that we can't see. I'm just glad none of my rage is in there.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
As someone who mains Scorpion, I really feel lovely that no one seems to like him as much as me... Oh well, more of you to send to hell. :unsmigghh:

Krad posted:

Hold down? :shobon:

That's what the pressure from the Hellfire is for, as well as the j3.

gannyGrabber posted:

We have to be able to attack you at some point!

I think what I'll try next is to just always hold forward and calmly walk towards you and see what happens.

This is something I particularly watch for before deciding on that teleport. Spear seems to catch people off guard a lot, thought it's really unsafe. Same with the hellfire.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This is actually a pretty solid idea against Scorp in the full screen to mid-range game. Spear is slow so you can react to it and Hellfire is super slow so you can jump it and then continue to approach.

Also, holding down and being patient at long range is still not a bad idea. If you make Scorpion make the first move at that range, be it a dash, a jump, a teleport, Hellfire, whatever, you can see it and have time to react accordingly where you don't have to be afraid of the teleport.

Depending on your character, yeah this is the best bet. However, I've noticed that some characters just can't punish the hellfire or spear from even 3/4th screen. This might just be an observation bias though.

Also, at full screen, you can bait with the spear and hellfire. If they're gonna jump off the bat because you've been hellfireing them, then teleport or time out a spear. If you spear and they jump, spam bf3. I've noticed it'll catch people as their landing, potentially whiffing their jumping attack.

AndyElusive posted:

Playing against Scorpion really does require a unique plan of attack.

I'm working on my max damage punish for when I do successfully block a telepunch. This way it becomes a huge risk for Scorpion to throw them out mindlessly and most ranked match Scorpions don't figure this out until after they're behind on life and I've converted 1 or 2 of them into a nice life lead. Then the ground flames come out.

If I don't predict right and fail to jump over and punish a ground flame, I'll gladly go ahead and eat three or four of them over one telepunch.

This too. This also works fantastically.

Glad to know I'm gonna have to be more patient than you if I wanna win. Which reminds me, thanks for those like 15 matches of Scorpion x Sinestro that we got in the other day. The things I learned seem to work well on any projectile heavy character.

Edit: keeping a numerical value, like a hp amount, is far less strain than say, 4 fighters in teams of 2 over an already terrible netcode with a game that is pushing current consoles to the brim.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 10, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Yardbomb posted:

Abuse them venom charge armor frames all day, every day.

It's pretty hard for Scorpion to top this too. You could try n.j2, or whatever his largest jumping hitbox move is, on Scorpion and see if that helps.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Granted, I'm not that great of a player but the armor frames aren't enough to pass through a full screen rifle barrage. And when I elude that jumping the goddamed MB grenade drops me to square one :argh:

Bait it into a block. Then follow with Venom Charge.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Well, Calamity and I found out how to bug the Water Valve on the ends of Atlantis. If one player activates the environment, and another does a b3MB and hits, the intractable will no longer exist. Supermoves do not reset them. 100% replicable.

It's a sad day, but that's a pretty big bug, for what was supposed to be the best. :suicide:

Edit: Good practice session, man. Learned some neat things about Scorpion, and some broken things about The Flash. Why can he duck under the Atlantis Broken Bug Water Valve?

Unbound fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 10, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Yardbomb posted:

Piss on the ranked matchfinder in this game forever. I don't mind fighting people over me, but for real, someone with literally like 20 times the amount of wins that I even have to games played? gently caress off whoever designed that.

Doesn't this game try to use TruSkill to find ranked matches? If so, that'd explain this in my eyes.

D2s scale horribly and should almost never be used in a combo as a result.

Good thing I always end up dropping those d2 combos I go for!

strangemusic posted:

Odd question here: I can't view any DLC past Luchador Bane on 360. What's up?

Did you launch the game via invite to play? I've had it happen where no DLC, comstumes or characters, load during the Player Select Screen because of that. If it is this, just going back to the main menu should fix it. If not, try deleting the content from your Xbox, doing a system cache clear, and then redownload them. That should fix it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AndyElusive posted:

Pretty much.

I stopped following MK9 after Freddy, so I don't know what if any patches they released after him or even what state of brokeness the game has been potentially left in. Folks still play it competitively and they seem content enough with it at this stage.

I was actually surprised with the patches that came out after Freddy, I think there were 3 or 4. Some characters, Kung Lao and Liu Kang, were still broken, but by no where near as large of a margin. Also, they fixed alot of unintended resets with characters like Jax and Cyrax. Over all, I would say that before they stopped updating that game, they balanced it out pretty well. I continued to play that game until this one came out.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Spacebump posted:

This is probably a dumb question but have they released any news on the dlc for the Wii U version beyond "summer?"

If they have, I have completely missed that.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man I pretty much have to re-learn Scorpion now. Is really disorienting doing a teleport punch that whiffs because the opponent is crouched, at least that will teach me to not spam it, if is blocked you're hosed.

Yeah, this sucks. It's taking me a bit to adjust too.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Speaking of Scorp's Teleport, one thing that the additional recovery frames on block does is that everyone can punish it with a b3. That helps out the large portion of the cast that previously had to worry about timing their combo starter to hit in his brief period of landing recovery.

Now I'm going to have to really be careful with that teleport. Great.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Krad posted:

If he's a general, what's with the scientist getup? :confused:

I like the scientist attire. It's like he yelled at his peons to make him a suit as super as he, and this was what they got.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

gannyGrabber posted:

Zod looks pretty good, but I can't get over him looking down at his own feet and firing a laser there. That is the worst place to fire lasers.

agreed, You would think a general would understand this, but I guess not.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Grundy was really good in the first two weeks but now that people are figuring the game out he's kinda hitting a plateau, same with doomsday imo.

I second this. Grundy is still fun to play, but his style is so straight forward that after some experience against him anyone can beat him. Grundy Mirror Matches are still super fun, unless both Grundy's are just doing the hand thing.

I'm glad to see Bane just keeps getting more and more intense as the game matures. I personally can't get him down, but whenever I fight against one it's nothing short of awesome. He just keeps living up to my expectations of a Drug Lord Luchador. I think they should contact the Saints Row guys and get a Killbane outfit for him.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Giedroyc posted:

I have one starred all of Star Labs. It really was not worth it and I shall never ever three star it.

Things I learned:
Any fight vs Lex Luthor has a 95% chance of being annoying and gimmicky. Especially if it involves his shield or cyborg.
Fighting games aren't made for stealth missions.
gently caress Rust

Nor should they be platformers of any form. I actually refuse to do anymore of the STAR Labs because of how overtly frustrating it is. I was hoping for something closer to Mortal Kombat's Challenge Tower, but nope.

Zod is looking pretty sweet and I can't wait to give him a shot. Or to shoot my feet with his laser, which ever happens first.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Interstellar Owl posted:

Still don't see what's so broken about Zod.. yet... anyway, what's the general consensus on Scorpion?

Seems like the nerf of making his teleport a high and -27 (I believe) on block did the trick.

AndyElusive posted:

Looking forward to stream monsters running the phrase "Zodlike" into the ground.

PS: ZDLK

Edit: Second thought, that's gonna be what happens.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Ah that might be why. Is there anyway to turn things like that off?

This is something I would love to know too. Clearly that is a mechanic for people who use a stick, but what about the people who don't? Why have it there?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I managed to get Scorpions b22u3 bf3 b3 once. Took it into a j3 db1 4 112 db1. Could never get it again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

I'd have to take my hands off the stick for you to beat on anything with butt-tier luthor :)

Really tho starting friday I'll be back on again a lot for the following week.

Same for me. We should have a nice, big, goon room that day. :woop:

• Locked thread