Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

geeves posted:

Twice. Last September, I caught a virus (not ebola) that caused viral cardio myopathy and killed me. I was put on a device to allow my heart to recover. Took a bit longer than I would have liked, but recover it did. I had to have surgery again earlier this month to remove the device. Thankfully through all of it I avoided a transplant, but it was leaning that way for a while. I'll never be 100% again, but I'm at 75-80% and that's fine by me.

Were you on a VAD? My 3 year old daughter had dilated CM when she was a newborn, thankfully no transplant here either. They think hers is metabolic in origin not viral though.

Glad they were able to get you back to semi normal function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Were you on a VAD? My 3 year old daughter had dilated CM when she was a newborn, thankfully no transplant here either. They think hers is metabolic in origin not viral though.

Glad they were able to get you back to semi normal function

Yes, I was on the pneumatic BiVAD so it wasn't easily concealed like the LVAD and difficult to get around.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question for the canon modern crop sensor cameras. I have an old 40D that served very well, but now I'm looking to upgrade. I can't afford the 2-3K for full frame everything (why are full frame lenses so expensive)(not this year, next year 5dmk2 time), but for now, I'd like a never body, and I was comparing the 7D to the 70D, and I was wondering, which exactly is better, I mean both by being relativity recent cameras will be better than my 6+ year old 40D, but which is a better jumping off point.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
70D will be much better at video while having a newer body style with flippy touch screen. 7D will have better AF and probably something else too.

Also, EF lenses are so expensive because they can be and they'll outlast every body you'll use them on. $1,200+ for a single lens might seem pretty steep to someone just getting into photography as a hobby but when you realize that you'll likely be using the lens without issue for over a decade it's not that big of a deal.

coldplay chiptunes fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 29, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question for the canon modern crop sensor cameras. I have an old 40D that served very well, but now I'm looking to upgrade. I can't afford the 2-3K for full frame everything (why are full frame lenses so expensive)(not this year, next year 5dmk2 time), but for now, I'd like a never body, and I was comparing the 7D to the 70D, and I was wondering, which exactly is better, I mean both by being relativity recent cameras will be better than my 6+ year old 40D, but which is a better jumping off point.

70D has the 7D's AF system AND DPAF/flippy screen/wifi. It's not magnesium and has one less FPS but who cares. It doesn't have a nipple/joystick controller which may matter more if you're used to a 40D.

I'm very sad I have a 60D instead.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I use a 70D at work and a 7D2 at home. The 70D's touch screen and video AF are awesome. The 7D's AF speed and burst rate are also awesome. I just wish they'd put a touch screen on the 7D (the dual pixel AF seems kind of useless without one).

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

annapacketstormaya posted:

70D has the 7D's AF system AND DPAF/flippy screen/wifi. It's not magnesium and has one less FPS but who cares. It doesn't have a nipple/joystick controller which may matter more if you're used to a 40D.

I'm very sad I have a 60D instead.
The 7D does not have the 70D's AF system. The 70D has the same number of AF points laid out in the same manner as the 7D, but it doesn't have the same ability to lock and track subjects. The actual focus performance in real-world situations is going to be drastically different between the two cameras.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I had the 70D for a bit (from a 50D) and sent it back. I did not like the feel of the controls (mushy) and did not feel it was much of an upgrade (yes 5MP more but who cares). Personally besides the "dual pixel" AF for video .. I felt it was just "meh".

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm also shooting on a 50d with plans to upgrade to a 5d3 very soon.

My 50d has been great and has paid for itself (and all my other gear) many times over at this point. Looking forward to going FF but replacing all but one of my lenses won't be fun.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The Leica store let me test drive a M with a 50 f/2 yesterday. It was fun to shoot with it but I'll never be able to afford one. I really liked how the manual focusing system works. You have a little square in the center and you have to make sure the ghost image matches up with what you see. It makes it dead simple and I feel like it could be better than autofocusing in some situations.

Are those aftermarket focusing screens from Canon are any good? I think it would be valuable to me to get good at manual focusing again. There are just some situations where if I had the skills (and a good mirror indicator) that it would be quicker to manual focus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

The Leica store let me test drive a M with a 50 f/2 yesterday. It was fun to shoot with it but I'll never be able to afford one. I really liked how the manual focusing system works. You have a little square in the center and you have to make sure the ghost image matches up with what you see. It makes it dead simple and I feel like it could be better than autofocusing in some situations.

Yes this is a rangefinder.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I went from a rebel T3i to a 70d and all I could say is holy poo poo. Quality of life improvements, low light shots, everything is just gravy. I am amazed at just the potential photo quality if I go a step higher than that (Something like a full frame 5d, etc). In complete irony I take better photos with it than my wife, someone who was trying to be a photography major. I guess the touchscreen and methods of fast-changing the ISO/shutter speed when on Av/Tv mode just click for me really well.

The concept of a 5d/above full frame right now is like :aaaa: to me. Someday!

Do those picture style presets people linked work on any canon or are they specific to the high end cameras?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
They work on the 70d for sure, using them at the beach this week. The technicolor one is fun, leaves so much room for post

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

Are those aftermarket focusing screens from Canon are any good? I think it would be valuable to me to get good at manual focusing again. There are just some situations where if I had the skills (and a good mirror indicator) that it would be quicker to manual focus.

Do you mean aftermarket as in 3rd party, or just the ones Canon sells for the 5d2/6d? They don't make anything but super matte for them (and grid) , so you can't get the split/micro prism ones on there. The prism ones are for the 1 series cameras only (gently caress you customer)

There's a company that cuts the 1d prism ones down to fit the 5d2/6d, but your metering will be off since there's no custom function to compensate it. Amount will vary by metering mode.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Do you mean aftermarket as in 3rd party, or just the ones Canon sells for the 5d2/6d? They don't make anything but super matte for them (and grid) , so you can't get the split/micro prism ones on there. The prism ones are for the 1 series cameras only (gently caress you customer)

There's a company that cuts the 1d prism ones down to fit the 5d2/6d, but your metering will be off since there's no custom function to compensate it. Amount will vary by metering mode.

Kinda figured. Sounds like it's not worth it at all.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I can definitely echo the sentiment that manual focusing can be better than AF in certain situations if you have a good aid. The big viewfinder on the 5D is a nice consolation for the super basic AF, but manual focusing aids were a big reason I have a mirrorless camera now. Focus peaking + instant 2x digital zoom take a lot of the guesswork out of getring critical focus, even on fast moving subjects. I use a lot of adapted canon lenses on my a6000; they have full metering and aperture control but are effectively MF only. Still works great with those features.

But yeah, I don't get why I can't have something like the split image focusing from an old Minolta XD-7 slr on my 5Dii (or eye focus AF from the EOS 3). Feels like a step backwards.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
You can always get a loupe for the rear lcd and look like a huge dork

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^^ Yeah really hate shooting from a LCD unless the camera is low on the ground.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I can definitely echo the sentiment that manual focusing can be better than AF in certain situations if you have a good aid. The big viewfinder on the 5D is a nice consolation for the super basic AF, but manual focusing aids were a big reason I have a mirrorless camera now. Focus peaking + instant 2x digital zoom take a lot of the guesswork out of getring critical focus, even on fast moving subjects. I use a lot of adapted canon lenses on my a6000; they have full metering and aperture control but are effectively MF only. Still works great with those features.

But yeah, I don't get why I can't have something like the split image focusing from an old Minolta XD-7 slr on my 5Dii (or eye focus AF from the EOS 3). Feels like a step backwards.

It does, I remember my k1000 had a similar system. It'd be perfect with some of the L glass that has the nice free flowing manual override, then you'd really have the best of both worlds.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

timrenzi574 posted:

You can always get a loupe for the rear lcd and look like a huge dork

You can just zoom the LCD image though...

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

annapacketstormaya posted:

You can just zoom the LCD image though...

That's useful on a tripod, not so much otherwise.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Magic Lantern has all this. Especially the focus peaking is a gift from heaven, I never enjoyed manual focus before I installed it and now it is so easy to do that I often forget to switch AF back on.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Probably a very basic question, but anyway. Regarding picture presets, do they have any effect at all on the raw output or does it only modify JPEG images produced in-camera? I always shoot raw-only and assumed they were irrelevant.

I'm using a 500D (a.k.a. T1i) if that has any impact on things.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

rolleyes posted:

Probably a very basic question, but anyway. Regarding picture presets, do they have any effect at all on the raw output or does it only modify JPEG images produced in-camera? I always shoot raw-only and assumed they were irrelevant.

You've got it right -- it just affects the embedded JPEG in the RAW file, which is what you see on the back of the camera, by the way.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Just JPEG. But for RAW shooters, there's 2 considerations

#1 - Your preview JPEG is based on that picture style, so how realistic it is in terms of what is actually clipping in your photo depends on the settings (low saturation/low contrast/low sharpening super flat profiles will get you closer , but not 100% to what data is actually being captured in the RAW and available for post processing)

#2 - If you use the in camera RAW processor to grab a quick JPEG (probably doesn't apply to any Rebels, lest of all one that old), a picture style that gives JPEG's you are going to be reasonably happy with is nice to have

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

timrenzi574 posted:

Just JPEG. But for RAW shooters, there's 2 considerations

#1 - Your preview JPEG is based on that picture style, so how realistic it is in terms of what is actually clipping in your photo depends on the settings (low saturation/low contrast/low sharpening super flat profiles will get you closer , but not 100% to what data is actually being captured in the RAW and available for post processing)

So the clipping display on the camera screen is based on the preview JPEG which in turn is influenced by the preset? So depending on the preset the clipping display may be quite inaccurate? I did not know that!

Might go change my preset to something custom along the lines of what you suggested then - at the moment it's just set to Standard. Thanks for your second point but yeah even if later models in the rebel series have that feature mine certainly doesn't.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

So the clipping display on the camera screen is based on the preview JPEG which in turn is influenced by the preset? So depending on the preset the clipping display may be quite inaccurate? I did not know that!

Yep - especially if you're using standard, which is pretty contrasty - you have a lot more highlight room than the blinkies would lead you to believe.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I've been using the Flaat style for that; though it's probably meant more for video, it makes the picture on the camera screen look fairly close to what I see when I first import it to Lightroom.

cats
May 11, 2009
This morning I tried changing lenses on my 60D and the lens release button fell off when I pressed it. The button spring fell out also, I still have it on me. I can still see the little tab that's part of the locking pin but when I press it the lens (Tamron 17-50) doesn't budge.

Should I (with assistance from a building full of other engineers) bother trying to DIY it? If not, what am I looking at in terms of repairs? Not under warranty anymore. Although a 60D with a permanently attached 17-50 is actually not the worst position to be stuck in...

EDIT: okay nevermind, just have to push the tab down really hard. Got a piece of electrical tape holding the button in place for now.

cats fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 6, 2015

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

As we expected when they announced the 5ds/r a few months back, the people on canonrumors are really butthurt about the dxomark scores

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5DS-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Nikon-D810___1008_795_963

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 9, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crossposting from the first DLSR thread

I'm learning about photography as a hobby and I'm looking at getting my first DLSR. My film school friend who owns a bunch of expensive lenses and cameras told me I should look at something like this as a starting point:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Canon-1200D-Twin-Lens-Kit-18-55mm-75-300mm-1200DTKB-/111703010247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1a0204abc7

I like taking photos but all I have is my phone and phones are poo poo. I've messed around with his 70d in auto mode and taken some nice shots (nothing I can share because they are of people), but I'd like to get my own. I'd be taking a lot of shots while bushwalking and off my car primarily I guess, I'm not looking for specific professional needs because thats not how I'm going to be using it. Is he right in that this is a good starting point?

Apart from a bag and an SD card, theres nothing else extra I need to buy is there?

E: Examples of the type of stuff I'm shooting, taken with my phone.

I thought I did ok for a phone but I want to take quality shots.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's the equivalent of the Rebel t5 in the states which is the basis for the title in the Canon thread. I don't really get Canon's naming convention but I'm quite sure you should stay away from anything with four digits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

As we expected when they announced the 5ds/r a few months back, the people on canonrumors are really butthurt about the dxomark scores

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5DS-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Nikon-D810___1008_795_963

Hahahaha 1 more bit and 2,5 more stops of DR on the 800.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 9, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I should avoid it? What else should i look at?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So I should avoid it? What else should i look at?

Gently used 50D, 60D, or even 7D. Compared with the Rebel/1000 series, the image quality is similar, but the controls and functionality is much better. The controls you need to use a camera manually are much easier to use.

Bodies also depreciate and lose their value a lot more than lenses. I wouldn't recommend buying a new Rebel, because you can find the better ones (50/60D) used for the same or less, or slightly older versions of the Rebel for even cheaper.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The 600/650/700D are also pretty decent if you can find a good deal for a used body. You might also want to invest in a tripod, especially if you want to do some nature photography.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess I'll have a look and find Australian places to buy second hand cameras. I kinda liked that deal though in that it came with those 2 lenses and everything was new

How are the controls harder to use by the way? And what do I look for when buying second hand?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Popelmon posted:

The 600/650/700D are also pretty decent if you can find a good deal for a used body. You might also want to invest in a tripod, especially if you want to do some nature photography.

I've got my 50D body for sale in the gear section .. $200.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Some dude had a 40d in the buy/sell thread for like $250. Buy that and either an 18-55 or a tamron 17-50 or something

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty wary about buying second hand, I'd prefer to get new :/

E: Pretty sure that 40d sold already

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm pretty wary about buying second hand, I'd prefer to get new :/

E: Pretty sure that 40d sold already

Well if you get into photography much be prepared for fork over vast quantities of currency then. I think I've purchased two "new" things .. everything else is second hand.