Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windex posted:

Also, $400 doesn't even buy a half decent prime that isn't a nifty fifty.
Do the pancakes not count as decent primes anymore all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Popelmon posted:

Don't diss the 85/1.8 :mad:.

I use APS-C cameras (EOS M, now M3, and a 70D) and own no non-telephoto zooms besides kit lenses, the nifty fifty is the largest focal length prime in my bag, sorry. :)

(The 70D is only kept for the two giant/heavy telephoto L's which I am not willing to slap onto the M/M3's.)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do the pancakes not count as decent primes anymore all of a sudden?

My general purposes lenses are a Sigma EF 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, a Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. I also have the Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake in my EOS M3's bag for giggles.

All of this crap below is my opinion from doing the amount of research on my kit you'd expect from a seasoned nerd.

To give a comparison to the superzoom guy, the Sigma is a $800-900 lens and is a steal at that price vs Canon's 24mm L, and the Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM is about a $600-700 lens and has better image quality than the current Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM at everything but fully stopped and obviously below f/2 which it can't do (slight vignetting differences argument aside). The IS makes up the gap vs the L USM on the 35mm in low light and then some.

Since lenses are an investment into a system I have kept all my lens purchases full frame because I'd like a 5DSR or similar someday, so excluding the EF-S prime pancake, that leaves the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM.

It's a lot slower than the 35mm f/2 IS USM and the 50mm is at least a f/1.8 (and really doesn't look as bad as you'd expect at f/1.8).

The EF-S only really adds the 24mm f/2.8, and the Sigma is not in the same class against it.

So, they do look okay I guess, but eh. The slowest lens in my bag is an f/2 and the 40mm/64mm effective FL is not that attractive when I'm APS-C and have 38.4, 56, and 80 covered already.

I do not consider the EF-M 22mm a decent prime because Canon still has not fixed the bluegreen / greenyellow tinting problems with EF-M lenses on EOS M cameras.

If you compare the pancakes against zoom lenses, even L zooms, they are going to be awesome. If you compare them against Sigma Art primes and most fancy prime L or IS type Canon glass they are not so awesome.

It's not quite a pancake, but.. the nifty fifty STM version, FWIW, outperforms in image quality from say f/5.6 to f/11 basically every slow zoom lens (fancy or not) at 50mm, though not some of the faster zooms, e.g. Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Art. But that Sigma Art zoom sucks vs the Art primes, though OS is Sigma's image stabilization and it does win that zoom some points (none of the Art primes have it but are fast enough to not need to). I assume the pancake 40mm STM rocks as much as the 50mm STM in the right aperture range as well.

Let us not compare the merits of the 50mm f/1.8 STM over the f/1.2L USM and start a flamewar against a 10 year old lens, though: I still hate the nifty fifty for technical reasons but like it as an art lens for all its fuzzy imperfections, and for $150, seriously who the gently caress cares. And that mentality definitely applies to the 40mm EF and 24mm EF-S, they just have no place in my bag.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there really such thing as an actual optically good superzoom lens? I assume I'd be an L-series, but which one?

... I'd be interested in something that could allow me to take a single camera and lens along on hiking & camping trips, that could handle landscape and bird/wildlife duty without needing to change lenses. It's just that I end up becoming very critical of final image quality and peep pixels a lot on my own stuff.

TBF it works fine on centre focus and you cant really tell the difference between it and my 17-50 F2.8 or nifty fifty in terms of quality.

its just all my other lenses work fine with the non-centre focus points and then occasionally I forget to adjust for this lens (which I use exactly as you described - hiking and camping)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I tried using my 5D2 with the Canon EOS Utility v.2 on my Macbook to do some macro focus stacking. I had live view and camera focus control routed through the laptop for remote shooting. It seemed like a good idea but there were two issues:

Saving an image was incredibly slow. I needed to take a couple dozen exposures in less than half an hour, and it honestly didn't seem like it would be able to do that. Sometimes the camera would be ready immediately after I took a shot, but most of the time there would be a 30 second to 2 minute delay right after. The live view screen would be static during this time. I tried changing the image file destination from my laptop to the camera's internal (UDMA 7) memory card and switching from RAW to JPEG, but that didn't seem to affect the delay much.

Also, shutter speed bottoms out at 1/30th when using live view with remote shooting. I guess that's normal behavior? Kind of a shame considering the long exposure potential it would have otherwise.

Are these issues to be expected, or is there something wrong with my camera? I don't really ever use live view or tethered shooting so this is a new realm for me.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need to set live view to stills only mode to shoot slower than 1/30. If it's in video or video + stills mode you'll restricted to 1/30 or faster shutter speeds.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there really such thing as an actual optically good superzoom lens? I assume I'd be an L-series, but which one?

... I'd be interested in something that could allow me to take a single camera and lens along on hiking & camping trips, that could handle landscape and bird/wildlife duty without needing to change lenses. It's just that I end up becoming very critical of final image quality and peep pixels a lot on my own stuff.

imo leave your 400L on cause birds an animals arent likely to stick around and there probably arent many landscape shots that won't still be there in the minute it takes to swap lenses.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, I'd like the convenience of a superzoom, but even going L series isn't likely to cut it for my purposes. Hell, I don't have any EF zooms at all right now. Although if I had to pick just one more lens to add to my system it would probably be a 70-200mm, because I generally prefer mirrorless for street and landscape stuff that needs wider focal lengths.

Also,

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I tried using my 5D2 with the Canon EOS Utility v.2 on my Macbook to do some macro focus stacking. I had live view and camera focus control routed through the laptop for remote shooting. It seemed like a good idea but there were two issues:

Both of these got fixed. As mentioned, I was in move+stills mode, which disables slower shutter speeds. And the delay problem went away. I think it may have been that I had image review time set to 'Hold'. It appears to be working fine now.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is my 55-250 stm supposed to feel grindy as I zoom? I kinda noticed it when I bought it but it keeps getting worse. It kinda feels like dust is caught between the extending barrel and the outer housing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Nope, mine is super smooth. Are there any scratches on the plastic? Maybe there is some sand in there.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Popelmon posted:

Nope, mine is super smooth. Are there any scratches on the plastic? Maybe there is some sand in there.

I think there might be. Any idea how to get rid of it?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Unfortunately, no :(

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I think there might be. Any idea how to get rid of it?

Send it to Canon, pay money. No guarantees.

Or see if you have a local camera repair shop and let them take a look at it. This also costs money. Considering the price of the lens, its probably not worth it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I had a really close look at it, there appears to be a foam/rubber type seal, that doesn't go the whole way around.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
looking into selling my Canon kit to a friend and am trying to figure out what reasonable used prices are.

Is anyone familiar with what I should price these at? I'd like to just give him a percentage discount off of going rate. If you can point me to a used gear pricing guide that would be rad as well.

Canon 5D MkII (great cosmetic shape, shutter mechanism replaced by Canon very recently.)
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II
Canon 24mm f/1.4
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 580exII very light use.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Alpenglow posted:

If anyone is curious about durability, and whether a 6D and 24-70/4 can survive a fall... out of a semi truck...

:crossarms:

Aside from a little zoom stiffness in the mid-range, it actually seems alright. Plus cool gouged metal in the back!

Jesus. That's nuts. I knocked my 1D Mark III off a table with my brother's 24-70 2.8L (version I) attached, and the 24-70 ended up needing like $400 in repairs. Camera body was fine.

Most recently, my R-Strap managed to untwist from the tripod foot on my 70-200 while it was attached to my 5d3, but luckily it fell off while I was standing on turf, so it knocked a screw loose under the "Canon" on the body and changed my mode dial, but otherwise everything was fine.

MMD3 posted:

looking into selling my Canon kit to a friend and am trying to figure out what reasonable used prices are.

Is anyone familiar with what I should price these at? I'd like to just give him a percentage discount off of going rate. If you can point me to a used gear pricing guide that would be rad as well.

Canon 5D MkII (great cosmetic shape, shutter mechanism replaced by Canon very recently.)
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II
Canon 24mm f/1.4
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 580exII very light use.

I'd put everything into KEH and take a reasonable percentage off. Also, Fred Miranda's buy & sell and Photography-on-the.net's buy & sell forums can be decent metrics.

KEH is worth a bit of a premium because of their reputation and warranty -- for example, a used 50 1.2 might go for ~$1250 on there, but a similar condition one might go for $1000 on FM or POTN.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Some questions, so I'm looking for a new crop, since the 40D is doing ...strange things sometimes, (It still works, it just has some issues, but it can't be helped), and how is the 70D, vs the 7D as a APS-C body that is somewhat modern/new, and comedy comparison to the 7D mk2.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This is something I find myself wondering, too. 400mm on a full-frame just isn't enough for my wildlife photography needs, so going crop is looking attractive. And I need something with a big bright viewfinder because I'm spoiled by EVFs. I know the 70D has better AF in live view mode, but that's of no value to me, and its viewfinder is smaller and lower magnification, although not terribly so. I like the extra AF point coverage that I would get with any of those three cameras, really. I think the other big improvement would be in continuous tracking. AF improvements would be significant with any of these cameras, compared to a 5D2 or 40D.

Compared to a 40D, the 7D and 70D would offer slightly better dynamic range and ISO performance, but not a lot. The resolution bump is more significant. The 7D2 also gets you closer to contemporary quality ISO and dynamic range, but still lags behind even the 5D2 in that department.

What I really want to know is if I will see an improvement in center AF point accuracy with an f/5.6 lens on any of these cameras, relative to a 5D2.

The 7D is about $200 cheaper than the 70D on average. It's the price you pay for having something newer. But is newer necessarily better? Unless the dedicated AF module offers significantly better performance and accuracy over the 7D's (again, if you don't use live view a lot the new on-sensor AF system in the 70D doesn't do much for you), there's not much going for the 70D over the 7D, IMO. It has marginally better ISO and DR again over the 7D, but that is offset by the smaller viewfinder. Maybe there's something else I'm missing?

And yeah, 7D2 is comedy option territory for me as well. Would be nice, though.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What I really want to know is if I will see an improvement in center AF point accuracy with an f/5.6 lens on any of these cameras, relative to a 5D2.
I shoot with a 1Dx and my wife shoots with a 7D2. The AF performance of the 7D2 is almost on par with the 1Dx. The only time I notice any real difference is when using teleconverters -- the 1Dx locks on much faster than the 7D2, but the 7D2's performance is a huge jump forward from the 7D in this regards as well. I have no experience with the 70D.

In other words, the answer to your question is yes, very much so.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And yeah, 7D2 is comedy option territory for me as well. Would be nice, though.

Grey market 7DII $1099, reputable seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301765922908?item=301765922908&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

I haven't used a 5DII but I have used a 5Dc which has poo poo for autofocus and my understanding is that there weren't really any major improvements between the two on that front. The 7D AF was pretty good generally, very good at the center although I got frustrated a lot with the tracking performance and a "bouncy" servo mode on still subjects. The 70D is usually considered a slight upgrade from the 7D but I think it has the same AF system? Honestly, if price and AF performance are major concerns I'd consider looking at a used 1DmkIII. I just got one, near mint, off of ebay for $560 to use as a second body. Its exactly the same as the 1DmkIV except no video and its only 10.1MP. The AF is fantastic though, much better than the 7D/70D. You do miss out on some pixels and some crop factor but I'd rather have more of my images in focus than the extra resolution in this case. Also, the 1D series focuses faster because of the bigger batteries.

Or save up a few more bucks and grab the 7DII. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ryand-Smith posted:

Some questions, so I'm looking for a new crop, since the 40D is doing ...strange things sometimes, (It still works, it just has some issues, but it can't be helped), and how is the 70D, vs the 7D as a APS-C body that is somewhat modern/new, and comedy comparison to the 7D mk2.

Image quality is basically identical between the 7D2 and the 70D. If you don't require super fast AF and a 10FPS burst rate for wildlife, the 70D is a really nice camera. I wish the 7D2 had a touchscreen like the 70D.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Thread is about to hate me, but why not consider the T6i/T6s/8000D/M3 (all the same sensor)?

The sensor is a little newish, and really high ISO performance is lacking, but no worse than my original 70D. If you don't need weather sealing (which btw sucks on the 70D anyway), they generally have more features than the 40D did, all use PDAF+CDAF, and I've used my M3 exclusively in favor of my 70D the last few months. (I'm in grorious nippon.)

The viewfinder on the DSLR bodies is lol small, but present. The EVF+focus peaking on the M3 is fantastic (and twice the resolution of the LCD), but consumes the hot shoe and as an EVF, at an extra cost.

Just a thought.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I would spring for a newer XXXD series body, except I've come to rely on a large, high-magnification VF and a top LCD. For me, it's just a matter of practice; it improves the experience too much for me to do without. They seem just fine otherwise.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Dear thread, help me out.

I use an EOS M3 because it outperforms my 70D by a large margin.

I have a nice collection of EF mount primes ranging from f/1.4 to f/2.

The 70D was the first camera I had bought before the M3 for a while, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I would like to have a full frame camera, but Canon is seemingly in the middle of retooling and possibly working on a mirrorless full frame which I would prefer, but this is maybe not going to happen so quickly because the 5DS / 5DS R may have been marketing delay tactics.

This is the result of my reading up on things.

The 5DS R is moderately most expensive at like $3800 where it is overpriced in Japan and selling like crazy to people who walk around with tripods 24/7.

The 5D mark III pricing is attractive in Japan right now at about $2200 USD and dxomark makes it pretty clear it's a upgrade in terms of quality from the EOS M3.

The 6D is basically down to $1000.

Here is where it gets complicated:

1) I mostly shoot with either center focus or manual on the M3, but it has focus peaking. The AF on the 6D blows everywhere but the center and the 5D mark III and 5DS R has no officially replaceable focusing screen which would help mitigate the lack of focus peaking.

2) I would like an extra stop of shutter speed (to 1/8000) so I can use AEB in daylight with fast lenses and have an appreciable result when working towards monochrome HDR. I often wind up stopping down lenses quite a bit on the M3 at 1/4000 and occasionally regret this. For monochrome work, the 5DS R has an advantage in monochrome resolution since more bayer filter array pixels are more detail even with the filter intact, no AA filter makes things sharper, and absent a monochrome sensor it's the best option on the market except for the new 24mp mono Leica. The 6D cuts off at 1/4000 as well. I have neutral density filters, but they're kind of a pain when wandering and lighting changes.

3) I do a lot of low light with the EOS M3 and I am relatively good at handholding down to 1/10s. ISO performance (measured by high iso noise) on the 5DS R is marginally better than the M3, but the pixel density is about the same. The 5D mark III seems to have slightly worse performance than the 5DS R when the 5DS R is scaled down to the same resolutions. The 6D seems to have slightly better ISO performance over the 5D mark III.

Here are my options:

1) Comedy Sony a7R II with Metabones EF adapter (shot down because it manages to cost a lot more than the 5DS R and I greatly dislike Sony region locking cameras by not supporting languages other than Japanese in Japan).

2) The 5DS R is expensive and has no clear winning trait unless I need all the crazy high end resolution, which I probably do not outside of a desire to do more monochrome, but the pixel count also serves to future proof the body a bit more.

3) The 5D mark III is less expensive but probably the marginal comparison winner and at $2200 is about the same price as the 6D was on release.

4) The 6D seems to not meet my daylight needs though it would be marginally better at night. It allows a focusing screen replacement to mitigate the loss of focus peaking.

5) Wait it out until Canon starts releasing new bodies and/or mirrorless full-frame since I am not in a hurry and do this as a hobby anyway. (If I do this, I will likely miss the low pricing on the 5D mark III as they will vanish from shelves in Japan the day before it's replacement arrives.)

I am heavily biased to option 5 but keep revisiting it because I think the 5D mark III is a good deal and still has quite a few years of service life from right now every time I see one and it's relatively low price tag, but I know if Canon releases a full frame mirrorless with shutter speed and ISO performance at least as good as the 5D mark III, I am never going to touch the thing again.

Am I missing anything here?

Opinions, assuming cash is in hand but not burning a hole in your pocket?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

windex posted:

1) I mostly shoot with either center focus or manual on the M3, but it has focus peaking. The AF on the 6D blows everywhere but the center and the 5D mark III and 5DS R has no officially replaceable focusing screen which would help mitigate the lack of focus peaking.

I can't really help you with the rest but this can be fixed easily with Magic Lantern.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If you don't mind composing with the rear LCD, that is.

And speaking of focusing screens, does the Eg-D (precision matte with grid) focusing screen for 5D2 perform better for manual focusing than the standard Eg-A screen? I've gotten mixed answers to this question from browsing various websites. I know it has the grid to assist with composition, but is it 'more matte' (I guess better for manual focusing??) than the Eg-A?

I would like to have a focusing screen that lets me see what's in focus more clearly, but I use a 5.6 lens much of the time so the Eg-S super precision matte would be too dark. (?)

windex
Aug 2, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And speaking of focusing screens, does the Eg-D (precision matte with grid) focusing screen for 5D2 perform better for manual focusing than the standard Eg-A screen?

The viable answer to that is, yes, for anything under f/2.8.

You are trying to reduce luminance so you can see the darks through the OVF.

The 70D has a LCD overlay on the focusing screen and it adjusts to prevent this problem dynamically with EF lenses that have aperture control.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

I think I answered my own question re: my earlier wall of text and didn't realize it.

Basically, I'm interested in the 5D Mark III for its currently known performance at its present price.

If Canon releases a full frame MILC with at least on par specs, I'll probably dump the 5D Mark III and by dump mean go buy a nifty fifty and hand both it and body to someone who is trying to learn how to do good photography, which is where all my old cameras wind up.

I should just buy the 5D Mark III and not care about the new stuff, because Canon has some new 1D, 5D, and 6D cameras in queue before they'll even announce a theoretical new full frame M next year.

I won't feel bad about it even if the 5D Mark IV is awesome because its still an SLR and the Mark III purchase is just a stopgap for the mirrorless product I actually want.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

windex posted:

Dear thread, help me out.

I use an EOS M3 because it outperforms my 70D by a large margin.

I don't think anyone can help you with this

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What's the property of mirrorless that makes it inherently superior for your needs?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

When I need a VF, in the EVF vs OVF debate, EVF serves me better, particularly in low light.

When I don't, I don't like holding cameras to my face to use an OVF because many great shots require predictive nuances that may originate outside of a prefocused frame. With most mirrorless cameras this can be entirely orchestrated handheld. And, on DSLRs wIth a crippled Live View or in the case of a shot that needs a tilt screen and the camera doesn't have one, I am forced to use the OVF, and likely use a tripod. On the full frame Canons other than the 6D, there is no remote shooting via wifi either, so face to dirt is a real possibility unless I am also carrying around a laptop with Capture One on it. Does all this extra work sound stupid yet?

It's just more flexible. Plus, for street photos, being able to shoot with the camera far from your head and depending on a clear focus peaking readout, you can get much nicer shots that aren't full of people reacting to cameras.

For 800peepee51doodoo: the ISO performance of the 70D is on par with the original EOS M. The M3 is a little better than the 7D Mark II here. The loss in shutter speed hurts during the day, which is why I'm having a discussion about full frame cameras.

Welcome to 2015, where the 760D sensor/package is actually better than other older APS-C sensors. Heck, the AF system on the 760D cameras including the M3 is on par with the one on the 5D Mark III (though it has fewer focus points), but not as good as the 7D Mark II dual pixel.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Cano...-earlier-sensor

The M3 is a legit great Canon APS-C camera, its just not an (insert Sony MILC here).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

windex posted:

For 800peepee51doodoo: the ISO performance of the 70D is on par with the original EOS M. The M3 is a little better than the 7D Mark II here. The loss in shutter speed hurts during the day, which is why I'm having a discussion about full frame cameras.

Welcome to 2015, where the 760D sensor/package is actually better than other older APS-C sensors. Heck, the AF system on the 760D cameras including the M3 is on par with the one on the 5D Mark III (though it has fewer focus points), but not as good as the 7D Mark II dual pixel.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Cano...-earlier-sensor

The M3 is a legit great Canon APS-C camera, its just not an (insert Sony MILC here).

Lol ok. I mean, like what you like, but I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world who would say that the M3 is better than, well, anything really. If it works for you though, great!

windex
Aug 2, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Lol ok. I mean, like what you like, but I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world who would say that the M3 is better than, well, anything really. If it works for you though, great!

Please use one before internet reviewing it out of the equation; even dxomark thinks its better than the other 7xxD sensor cameras. I put like 15k shutter cycles on my EOS M before mostly giving up on it and letting it sit in a drawer for like 2 years, and skipped the M2 when I saw it had the same sensor, but when the M3 was released in Japan, I didn't really think anything of it until I saw one in a camera store and took a few shots on the lovely kit lens that looked less lovely to my eye than the M did, then I went home and got my EF to EOS M adapter and a decent piece of glass, slapped it on the camera in the store the next day, and was blown away at how much better it is, feels, and functions. Nice magnesium alloy body. Two dials, one controls ISO/aperture and the other shutter speed in manual, mounts all EF and EF-S glass, sensor doesn't suck so bad relative to other Canon APS-C, the only real downside to me was the loss of the f-stop on the shutter speed.

If you have some kind of fetish for an OVF, I'd at least suggest trying to use the EVF on the M3; it's among the better of the MILC market and is much higher resolution than the big LCD.

I did resent having to pay extra for the EVF I barely use, though, but since I had that EOS M in kit form with every accessory made at the time, all I had to do was buy a body for the M3 I guess.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

windex posted:

Please use one before internet reviewing it out of the equation; even dxomark thinks its better than the other 7xxD sensor cameras. I put like 15k shutter cycles on my EOS M before mostly giving up on it and letting it sit in a drawer for like 2 years, and skipped the M2 when I saw it had the same sensor, but when the M3 was released in Japan, I didn't really think anything of it until I saw one in a camera store and took a few shots on the lovely kit lens that looked less lovely to my eye than the M did, then I went home and got my EF to EOS M adapter and a decent piece of glass, slapped it on the camera in the store the next day, and was blown away at how much better it is, feels, and functions. Nice magnesium alloy body. Two dials, one controls ISO/aperture and the other shutter speed in manual, mounts all EF and EF-S glass, sensor doesn't suck so bad relative to other Canon APS-C, the only real downside to me was the loss of the f-stop on the shutter speed.

If you have some kind of fetish for an OVF, I'd at least suggest trying to use the EVF on the M3; it's among the better of the MILC market and is much higher resolution than the big LCD.

I did resent having to pay extra for the EVF I barely use, though, but since I had that EOS M in kit form with every accessory made at the time, all I had to do was buy a body for the M3 I guess.

Oh it definitely wouldn't work for me. I shoot wildlife and sports so I'm married to the 1-series. I have a Fuji X-E1 and am perfectly fine with and, in fact, like EVF's for lots of not-sports, not-wildlife shooting. Again, if you like it and it works for you that's fantastic. Different cameras for different needs and all that.

One thing though, DXO scores don't really mean much. You can't actually see a one or two point difference in sensor performance in real world pictures. Now, going from APS-C to full frame? Huge huge difference. If IQ is paramount to you, then you will love switching to a full frame. Also, Canon has basically all but announced that they have zero interest in full frame mirrorless. I doubt they will do anything but APS-C updates for the M mount until they have an on-sensor AF system that can murder current top of the line PDAF sub-assembly systems and an EVF that is basically indistinguishable from an OVF. Then they might start switching over. I think that's gonna be a long time coming, though.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

Please use one before internet reviewing it out of the equation;

windex posted:

The AF on the 6D blows everywhere but the center

Indeed

windex
Aug 2, 2006

I did disclaim that as internet research, but I've also used a 6D, and it is true, but keep in mind I'm using a camera that focuses by touch screen and lenses that do FTM for fine tuning, none of which applied to my 6D adventure. :)

Also, re:DXO scores, I know, except those gaps between 70D, 7D Mark II, and M3 are almost entirely in effective ISO performance, and where ISO 800 for example has a bit of grain on my 70D, its comparatively spotless on the M3.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Will we see a full frame mirrorless from Canon any time soon? They're not going to want to introduce and maintain yet another line of new lenses, so it'll be EF mount. That will leave them will the same long flange distance so will negate the size reduction aspect of removing the mirror (and I'm not sure they'd want to enable people to use non-EF lenses). So it'll be driven by the desire to go 'full time live-view', which is something I think they'll want to do from a video perspective. I think they'll do that first in one of the ASP-C lines, in the same way they used the 70D to introduce dual-pixel. I'm less sure they''ll be motived to do the same with a full-frame, with their efforts in the high-end video segment being around the C series (which is high-end and mirrorless, but Super 35mm). If they do a 1D C successor, that would be a candidate for going EVF but that'd be niche (expensive, heavy, bulky)...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Will we see a full frame mirrorless from Canon any time soon? They're not going to want to introduce and maintain yet another line of new lenses, so it'll be EF mount.

Not any time soon but eventually. And if their EOS-M is any indication, the first few versions won't be that amazing either. It wouldn't make sense to keep the same FFL distance because that makes the mirrorless camera exactly the same size as the existing DSLRs. So I do think they will release a new line of lenses for it because there are very few EF lenses I would want to put on a mirrorless camera too.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

alkanphel posted:

Not any time soon but eventually. And if their EOS-M is any indication, the first few versions won't be that amazing either. It wouldn't make sense to keep the same FFL distance because that makes the mirrorless camera exactly the same size as the existing DSLRs. So I do think they will release a new line of lenses for it because there are very few EF lenses I would want to put on a mirrorless camera too.

Apparently Leica thinks you're dying to put like a 400/2.8 on a mirrorless

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

The realm of Leica is where common sense fears to tread so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

timrenzi574 posted:

*raises paw* I am.

... But I'm also down with EVF/mirrorless for wildlife. MF with peaking has about the same success rate for me tracking birds in flight as AI Servo on my 5D2. So not that great but still as good as my current DSLR. And AF micro adjustment with the 5Dmkii is a bitch; I'm always second guessing just how critically in-focus my wildlife shots are. That doesn't happen when I'm using eg my a6000 with kit lens in an underwater housing to take pictures of fish. Even in that weird light the tracking and single-shot AF is always comfortably sharp, provided it lands on the right subject. I just wish there was anything that wasn't short and slow and was worth a poo poo for sports & wildlife in Sony's system.

Until then, I'm really really tempted to grab a 7Dmki or 70D. I can't justify a 7Dmkii unless I sell my Sony gear.

Not a furry

Edit: Yeah I'd expect Sony to release a 400mm f/4 (maybe not a 2.8) way before Canon goes consumer-level FF mirrorless, and that's still on a cold day in hell.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 22, 2015