Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
7Dmk2 announced. The main thing that looks different/interesting to me is 60p video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

1st AD posted:

7Dmk2 announced.
Eagerly waiting for some high-iso samples.

[edit]

quote:

super tele EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II ($6,899)
Yuck.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is the 24mm 2.8 STM a new lens? It looks pretty sweet, a nice companion to the 40mm pancake.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

1st AD posted:

Is the 24mm 2.8 STM a new lens? It looks pretty sweet, a nice companion to the 40mm pancake.

Yes - it's EF-S though, not EF. Basically giving crop users the equivalent of the 40mm pancake on a FF

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

1st AD posted:

7Dmk2 announced. The main thing that looks different/interesting to me is 60p video.

That AF system is juiced - eITR like the 1dx, -3EV on the center like the 6D, and the frame coverage...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Only if you're on crop, yes.

concerning the 24mm pancake

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

timrenzi574 posted:

That AF system is juiced - eITR like the 1dx, -3EV on the center like the 6D, and the frame coverage...

Yeah, it looks pretty dope. $1799 USD is not out of control either

Yuck at price or the lens? Cause that lens looks great. MTF's are comparable to 300 2.8 IS II. Price is poo poo but, you know, Canon

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 15, 2014

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yuck at price or the lens? Cause that lens looks great. MTF's are comparable to 300 2.8 IS II. Price is poo poo but, you know, Canon
Yuck at the price. I don't know why you wouldn't just go for the 300 f/2.8 if the 400 was in your price range.

Back to the 7D2 -- AF at f/8. Yay!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mightaswell posted:

So I just rented the 135L and holy poo poo. I need to own this lens.

Do you shoot FF or crop? I borrowed it from a friend and used it on my 7D, and while the results where nice, it was long and jittery with no IS.

It's light, has great IQ and colors, and only costs your left kidney though, so definitely not the last lens to be added to my collection, should I win the lottery.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

bolind posted:

Do you shoot FF or crop? I borrowed it from a friend and used it on my 7D, and while the results where nice, it was long and jittery with no IS.

It's light, has great IQ and colors, and only costs your left kidney though, so definitely not the last lens to be added to my collection, should I win the lottery.

I was using on FF, and found it excellent for outdoors small group and couple shots, and indoors for faces and expressions. Honestly I though it was so good that I kept finding ways to use it. At under 1k used I think it'll be my next lens.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bolind posted:

Good indoor sports lens on crop if you need that extra stop over the 70-200 f/heavy - less conspicuous too.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Crop bros should stick with the 85mm 1.8. Not as awesome as that 135mm L sexiness but light, cheap and great AF speed.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
What's everyone's take on Magic Lantern? It looks intriguing, and like it adds a ton of features. Is it useful for an amateur who shoots mainly photos (vs. video)?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Phummus posted:

What's everyone's take on Magic Lantern? It looks intriguing, and like it adds a ton of features. Is it useful for an amateur who shoots mainly photos (vs. video)?

ML is for video.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Soulex posted:

ML is for video.

ML has a ton of rad stills features.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It'll also slow your camera coming from sleep (powered on but no controls) for a good 3+s. (as opposed to an instant wake up) This may or may not be a turnoff for you, but it was an instant scramble to uninstall all traces for me when I went to shoot motorsports. For "slower" shooting like intervalometer stuff, it has its uses. :)

n.b. this was my experience on a 7D w/beta ML but it wasn't only the 7D with this issue.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I have shot the ever-loving hell out of my 7D, with weekly Humane Society photo shoots and trips around the world and back, and now college football and concerts. The paint is worn off the buttons, and I feel like the shutter is not long for this world.

Do people feel like the next 5D or major FF body is coming in 6 months or a year, or should I be taking a long look at the 7Dmk2 because of timing, if I'm just getting one body? A little peeved at some of the 70D things I wanted (wifi especially) not making it in.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I looked around and I didn't see a thread specific for pricing questions, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I've been looking at various DSLRs for while; I have some experience shooting some of my friends different cameras. After a bit of research, I've decided to pick up a 50D (because I have no interest in video and I don't want a camera I'm going to out grow quickly). That being the case, what is a reasonable priced set up for a 50D likely to run me?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I looked around and I didn't see a thread specific for pricing questions, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I've been looking at various DSLRs for while; I have some experience shooting some of my friends different cameras. After a bit of research, I've decided to pick up a 50D (because I have no interest in video and I don't want a camera I'm going to out grow quickly). That being the case, what is a reasonable priced set up for a 50D likely to run me?

a 50D on KEH will run you about $400. For what its worth I'm still enjoying mine. I picked mine up off the Canon refurbished site with their loyalty program a few years back and its been solid ever since.

In the next year I will probably be looking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to go FF or 7D2. We'll see how the field plays out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Verman posted:

In the next year I will probably be looking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to go FF or 7D2. We'll see how the field plays out.

Is there a benefit to staying with a crop? I went FF and I can't imagine going back, I love it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to get boost ISO to function. Am I correct in assuming this doesn't matter? Like, I could just compensate –1 and brighten it back up in post. Since boost is just a software solution (I've been told), I assume that's basically what the camera is doing for me anyway, right?

I may just be missing something. I have Boost ISO turned on under cfunc but I can't actually spin the wheel past 1600 (40D).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Huxley posted:

I can't seem to get boost ISO to function. Am I correct in assuming this doesn't matter? Like, I could just compensate –1 and brighten it back up in post. Since boost is just a software solution (I've been told), I assume that's basically what the camera is doing for me anyway, right?

I may just be missing something. I have Boost ISO turned on under cfunc but I can't actually spin the wheel past 1600 (40D).

Should be C.Fn I - 3 ISO Expansion

It will show 'H' not '3200'

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

triplexpac posted:

Is there a benefit to staying with a crop? I went FF and I can't imagine going back, I love it.

Mainly price, and the fact that I've got a few lenses that are crop only. I'm not looking forward to replacing lenses.

Is Canon still doing the loyalty program?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Verman posted:

a 50D on KEH will run you about $400. For what its worth I'm still enjoying mine. I picked mine up off the Canon refurbished site with their loyalty program a few years back and its been solid ever since.

Good to know, I'm looking at one on EBay right now that's at 390, glad to see that's in the right range.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

triplexpac posted:

Sports/Wildlife shooters prefer crop because of the 1.6x zoom factor with regards to focal length. That 400L instantly becomes a 640mm lens. Pretty big boost.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finally got an email from B&H saying that my Tamron 150-600 has shipped! I ordered in June. I was kind of hoping reviews of the Sigma would have come out by now but I guess I should be happy enough to have a lens in hand.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Finally got an email from B&H saying that my Tamron 150-600 has shipped! I ordered in June. I was kind of hoping reviews of the Sigma would have come out by now but I guess I should be happy enough to have a lens in hand.

I went to the Tamron tailgate event locally and got to try the 150-600 out. Really good reach on my 60D. Gotta have a rock solid tripod for it though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A guy I watch, Tony Northrup, was pretty unhappy with the 7d2. Essentially recognized the strengths but still recommends the 70d to people. It's a specialized camera for sure, and some of the stuff they should have added they didn't.

I'm glad I got my 70D. It's great. I don't feel like I'm missing out a whole lot.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sports/Wildlife shooters prefer crop because of the 1.6x zoom factor with regards to focal length. That 400L instantly becomes a 640mm lens. Pretty big boost.

I've never really gotten this. Granted, I don't have a full frame, but wouldn't using that same 400 on FF and then doing a 60% crop in post processing give you the exact same shot except the flexibility of choosing your crop? I might be totally wrong since like I said I only have a crop sensor, but it seems unless you do zero post processing, full frame is better in every regard.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Mundon posted:

I've never really gotten this. Granted, I don't have a full frame, but wouldn't using that same 400 on FF and then doing a 60% crop in post processing give you the exact same shot except the flexibility of choosing your crop? I might be totally wrong since like I said I only have a crop sensor, but it seems unless you do zero post processing, full frame is better in every regard.

Sort of true now if you shoot something like a 36MP D8XX, where you'd get 23MP or so cropping to that. So, you don't lose much vs using a Nikon DX camera. But if you take say, a 22MP 5d3, now you're cropping to 14MP. So you're losing a lot of resolution vs an 18 or 20MP Canon APS-C.

So with the Canon, you're getting way more pixels on what you want by using an APS-C.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bob Mundon posted:

Sort of. Crop sensors usually have higher pixel density meaning that there is more resolution available in a smaller area. This is what gets you your "crop zoom". In actual practice, you don't get anything like 60% more resolution and the crop reach advantage is really limited to very specific shooting situations - lots of light, distant subject. Full frame gets you the benefit of being able to collect more light so IQ improves and you have less noise. You can usually crop almost to the same point as the 1.6x and have the same, sometimes better, IQ. There is a reason that Canon and Nikon's top end pro action bodies are full frame instead of crop, and its because FF has better IQ in a broader range of shooting applications. Crop's main advantage is lower cost and a little more bang for your buck with long lenses.

Soulex posted:

A guy I watch, Tony Northrup, was pretty unhappy with the 7d2.

I get a real KRock vibe from this dude. He seems off and his wiki just screams "shameless self promoter"

Tony Northrup Wiki posted:

In June, 2000, Northrup won the Sexiest Geek Alive contest.[4][5][6][7][8] Following the contest he made appearances on several TV shows, including Good Morning America,[9] the Montel Williams Show,[10] and To Tell The Truth.[11]

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Piquai Souban posted:

I have shot the ever-loving hell out of my 7D, with weekly Humane Society photo shoots and trips around the world and back, and now college football and concerts. The paint is worn off the buttons, and I feel like the shutter is not long for this world.

Do people feel like the next 5D or major FF body is coming in 6 months or a year, or should I be taking a long look at the 7Dmk2 because of timing, if I'm just getting one body? A little peeved at some of the 70D things I wanted (wifi especially) not making it in.

What are you looking at from an upgrade? If your 7D is doing you just fine and you're only worried that its about to die, you can get another one super cheap, even cheaper after the 7D2 hits. If AF is more important for the college handegg then there isn't going to be anything out there better than the 7D2 that doesn't start with a "1" and end in "X". If you're thinking FF for the low light concerts, you might as well just go with a 5DIII now because I can't see Canon doing anything to really improve on it. It's not like their really cranking up the sensor quality these days.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

Sort of true now if you shoot something like a 36MP D8XX, where you'd get 23MP or so cropping to that. So, you don't lose much vs using a Nikon DX camera. But if you take say, a 22MP 5d3, now you're cropping to 14MP. So you're losing a lot of resolution vs an 18 or 20MP Canon APS-C.

So with the Canon, you're getting way more pixels on what you want by using an APS-C.

It's worse than that. Crop mode on a D800 is only 18mp, 5d3 is 8.7mp.

Also especially with birds and wildlife just because you're shooting crop doesn't mean you won't want to crop even further. Now you're dealing with 5 or 3mp and forget about it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sort of. Crop sensors usually have higher pixel density meaning that there is more resolution available in a smaller area. This is what gets you your "crop zoom". In actual practice, you don't get anything like 60% more resolution and the crop reach advantage is really limited to very specific shooting situations - lots of light, distant subject. Full frame gets you the benefit of being able to collect more light so IQ improves and you have less noise. You can usually crop almost to the same point as the 1.6x and have the same, sometimes better, IQ. There is a reason that Canon and Nikon's top end pro action bodies are full frame instead of crop, and its because FF has better IQ in a broader range of shooting applications. Crop's main advantage is lower cost and a little more bang for your buck with long lenses.

I get a real KRock vibe from this dude. He seems off and his wiki just screams "shameless self promoter"

He does promote his book and all that poo poo a bunch. Some of his stuff is informational as well (to me I guess). But he isn't afraid to promote his poo poo, that's true.

I dunno, I just try to weed through the bullshit, ignore the podcast poo poo he does and stick to the 5-10 minute videos

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just to chime in I was fine with crop format and never really lusted after FF. However, I wasn't fine with Canon's lack of commitment to high quality crop sensors. I don't know how good the sensor in the 7D2 is, but I gave in earlier this year and upgraded to the 6D + 24-105 f/4 and haven't looked back. I knew one day I would eventually upgrade and the ~$2000 kit (with a free bad rear end printer) made things pretty painless.

I used to say I couldn't tell the difference between shots from a crop and shots from a FF, but now that I shoot FF, I notice that my photos have a lot more detail in them. I'm not saying it's a must have or "improved my photography 10 fold" but it's one of those addictive qualities (like L glass) that once you shoot with it, you never want to go back. When I originally upgraded, my plan was to hawk the 24-105 as soon as I got it then use the money towards a Canon 24-70 2.8. When I shot crop, I used a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and I didn't want to give up the 2.8 aperture. However, after playing with the 24-105 for a couple days, I found out it's really a top notch lens performance and IQ-wise. It's L glass after all. I also noticed that I was happy with the DoF even though the lens was slower than what I was used to. Later on I found out that a f/4 on a FF sensor is the same as 2.8 on a crop. The 24-105 ended up being on par with the DoF and better than every other way than my Tamron 17-50. That made me pretty happy since it saved me money and upgraded a lens that was getting pretty tired of. Once you have one piece of L glass, you want all L glass.

The only thing I miss from the crop days is my Sigma 8-16. I thought about getting a Sigma 12-24 but it gets mixed reviews. There is the Canon 16-35, but that seems like an odd range to me. I kind of also want the Canon 8-15 fisheye, but I'm afraid it might be too gimmicky.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haggins posted:

I wasn't fine with Canon's lack of commitment to high quality crop sensors.

You and the rest of the world, dude. 2009 called, want sensor back, etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's worst is to know they're working on new stuff, but that it'll probably be still years until you actually get the toys.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

But if you take say, a 22MP 5d3, now you're cropping to 14MP. So you're losing a lot of resolution vs an 18 or 20MP Canon APS-C.
Hahahahaha you'll never loving ever notice the difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahahaha you'll never loving ever notice the difference.

But what if I absolutely must print at 18x12. I require those pixels because I refuse to go below 300 DPI. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

Later on I found out that a f/4 on a FF sensor is the same as 2.8 on a crop.

I don't get it. Isn't f/4 still an f/4 whatever it's projecting onto?