Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I picked up a used 135 f2L today. This lens is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

zeroprime posted:

Is the T5 really that bad?

T5i (700D) is fine, T5 (1200D) is not.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you've got a friend with canon gear it's worth buying canon so you can borrow lenses.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Check the shutter actuation count, you'll need a computer and a usb cable for the camera to do it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I've heard real good things about the sigma 18-35 f1.8, but I've never personally tried it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Laserface posted:

yeah, it wasnt cheap.

$450 is cheap when it comes to camera lenses.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need to set live view to stills only mode to shoot slower than 1/30. If it's in video or video + stills mode you'll restricted to 1/30 or faster shutter speeds.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I don't get why, with the massive pixel count, you couldn't just shoot normal full frame and crop down in post to what you would have had with an APSC. This is instead of having the system you described

Like timrenzi574 mentioned, the benefit of having it done in camera is that you could in theory shoot at higher burst rates and be able to fit more frames in your buffer when you are in one of the crop modes since the raw images would be smaller (but the 5ds/r doesn't do this). But yeah the end result is still the same as just cropping in post.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The next big expo type thing is CP+ in late February so possibly then

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So how about those 80D specs

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Sneeze Party posted:

I'm planning on selling a Canon 28-70 2.8, but I can't find the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Am I blind, or is it gone?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Odette posted:

Basically just side-by-side pictures of the two, wondering why the 6D is something like ~200g lighter than the 5D3. Thought it may have been a reduction in body size, but I'm pleased to see that it isn't.

5D3 has a full magnesium alloy body, 6D doesn't

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

prompt posted:

Why would the 35mm f/2 be recommended by Canon for this body and not the 35mm f/1.4 II?

I think it's just because at the time that Canon published the original list the 35mm f1.4 II didn't exist yet.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think as long as you are shooting at a reasonable ISO a 60D should be ok for video, unless you need full-time AF. In video mode the 60D can't track and refocus on your subject if it's moving, if you want that from canon you need a body with DPAF like the 70D or 80D. If your video is really grainy it sounds like it might just be that your ISO is too high?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you're comfortable with running 3rd party firmware, magiclantern runs on the t5i and can auto restart recording when it hits the 30 minute cap.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The new control ring on the R lenses is customizable, you can configure it to change aperture/shutter speed/iso/etc like any of the customizable buttons on other canon bodies. You don't have to use it at all, which is why the cheapest adapter doesn't have it. But if you want to use the new customizable ring with EF lenses, you can buy the priced up adapter.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You'd probably be fine with the tamron. The most recent tamron and sigma 24-70's are both supposed to be very good. It's also worth noting that both the tamron g2 and sigma art lenses have IS, and the canon f2.8L II does not. For what it's worth, I have the canon lens and it's great, but yeah 1600 is a lot.

Also, this is really minor, but tamron zooms use the nikon direction for the zoom ring, so if your wife is used to shooting on canon glass it will be reversed from what she is used to, which she may or may not find annoying?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It seems like a decent enough budget option for making the jump to full frame (assuming you don't care about the burst rate), especially if you already own EF glass?

Unrelated to the RP, but I ended up buying an EOS R a few months ago and have been using it a lot more than my 5D3 lately, to the point where I'm actually considering selling the 5D3+24-70L in favor of the new native RF one w/IS. Sony's body's are obviously still way ahead of either canon's RF options, but Canon's RF stuff has worked well enough for me as far as 'get the perks of mirrorless without needing to invest in a new lens system' goes.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The canon EF->RF adapter works really well, I've never noticed any autofocus delay on any of the lenses I've tried (EF 24-70 II, 70-200II and the sigma 50 art) on the EOS R w/adapter vs the 5D3. You can definitely get away with just buying the adapter and whatever EF glass fits into your budget.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Of course, if I had the mount adapter, I could just keep buying new EF/EF-S lenses, but I'd never have the control ring of the RF lenses. I guess that's not super necessary to have, but it seems like it'd come in handy for sure.

They make a version of the adapter with the new control ring so that you can have the ring with EF/EF-S lenses. I have it, but in hindsight I would say just go with the cheaper adapter without the ring because I personally don't use it for anything. But I guess depending on how you shoot the ring can certainly be nice to have.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It’s a cheaper option for sports or wildlife shooters that need high burst rate and good AF performance but can’t afford a $5000 1Dmk-whatever.

e: also it gives “pro” body stuff like dual card slots and full weather sealing that canon doesn’t include with their other APS-C bodies

astr0man fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 19, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I never actually use both card slots when I use my 5D3 because I hate losing the burst rate/buffer clear speed when you add the SD card compared to just shooting on CF. But I don't do any paid photography.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
yeah but it's f/2!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Infinite Karma posted:

I honestly love my EOS R even if it's not popular for some reason. The RF mount lenses are amazing, and it's backwards compatible with EF. I thought I'd hate a mirrorless system because of the optics, but I haven't missed a pentaprism at all. The EOS RP has to be close in price to the 90D (less pixels, but it's full-frame), I'd imagine, it's worth checking out IMO.

I actually agree with you on the EOS R, but people moving from a 7D2 would probably not be interested in either of the current RF mount bodies because the burst rate on both of them is awful.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
fwiw there is a regular RF 24-70 F2.8 that'll be available around a month from now that's comparable in size/weight to the EF equivalent. Yeah it's dumb that it took a year for the lens to exist, but I get that they would want to push sales of the F2 lens as much as possible first.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The best thing about the R5 is that canon actually made the right decision and dumped the stupid EOS R touchbar and put the joystick back in.

ilkhan posted:

What's the cheapest RF L lens out right now, anyway?

I think the cheapest one would be the 24-105 F4 IS ($1100 from canon usa) which is technically the same MSRP as the EF version (even if no one has ever paid that price for the EF one :v:).

With regard to lenses, even for anyone going all-in on canon mirrorless with the new bodies coming (and I'm definitely leaning towards selling my 5D3 now), I'm still not seeing a good reason to start buying RF glass yet given how well the EF/RF adapters work.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They confirmed that there is no crop for the 8k or 4K video, and that DPAF works in all the 8k and 4K video modes

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

charliebravo77 posted:

Unless the EOS R5 is VERY competitively priced, I think I am going to pick up an EOS R and the RF 24-105/f4 as my first big boy camera upgrade from the 80D. If I am satisfied with f2.8 lenses on an APS-C body, f4 on a full frame should be drat near identical, right (plus better dynamic range and low light performance compared to the 80D sensor)? Or should I just get a Tamron EF 24-70/f2.8 in addition to my 70-200/f2.8? Sorta wanted a 'one lens solution' for outdoorsy stuff (not wildlife) so I don't have to lug a ton of glass around but I dunno.

the f/4 L lenses are good, I think you'd be fine w/the 24-105. also don't forget the R6 is coming too

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

brand engager posted:

Is it another mirrorless? Those don't seem like they are worth getting yet.

It's 2 new mirrorless bodies (R5, R6) and all indications are that the R5 will be a real good camera - canon finally put IBIS and uncropped 4K/8K video into a camera body

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

um excuse me posted:

I'm a lazy dumb idiot. Would a 5DmkIII to an R6 be a significant upgrade or what?

I'd say yes? You'd be getting IBIS, 4k video, better burst rate and an EVF

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

brand engager posted:

Did they go over what's different in the new dual-pixel af? I noticed it's called "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" on the two new bodies

It sounds like it works the same as the old DPAF but faster and it covers the entire frame. There's also the new animal+person body/head/face detection but I think they market that as separate from DPAF?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
After the cost of an an R5 I could probably only afford <20 minutes worth of CF express cards at their 8k raw bitrates anyways :v:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The tamron/sigma 150-600 zooms also weigh twice as much as the new RF primes

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Encrypted posted:

But pretty much all of the L lenses are huge and bulky and defeats the purpose of having a mirrorless for sizes.

at worst they're basically the same size as the EF or Sony E-mount equivalents

RF 24-70 f2.8 L:
  • length: 126mm
  • weight: 900g
  • front filter: 82mm

EF 24-70 f2.8 L II:
  • length: 113mm
  • weight: 805g

FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
  • length: 136mm
  • weight: 886g

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Not surprising it's external zoom given that they did the same thing with the f2.8 version, but my biggest complaint about the design is that they aren't compatible with the new RF teleconverters.

It'd be nice to move to the smaller/lighter RF zooms, but I use the EF 70-200 + 1.4x combination enough that making that lens switch isn't really an option

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ilkhan posted:

Is that an announcement or where does it say not compatible with the RF 1.4x?

I guess there's no official word on the F4 version yet, but the RF 70-200 F2.8 is not compatible with the new RF teleconverters. On the F2.8, the rear element is almost flush with the lens mount, so there's no room for the part of the TC that goes into the back of the lens.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah, currently they only work with the 100-500 and the f11 primes

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Graniteman posted:

I don't own an R5 but have been looking at getting one. What I've read is that it does support using the camera over USB power, but you need a high spec USB PD charger. The manual for the R5 says the canon USB charger will power the camera. It's not clear what spec PD you need to power the camera, but since the canon one can do it, probably a third party can. Maybe you need something rated to power a laptop.
https://cam.start.canon/id/C003/manual/html/UG-09_Reference_0030.html

The official canon one supports outputting either 5V or 9V, so I think anything that supports PD 2.0/3.0 and can output at least 9V should work. Basically any USB-C power brick/charger that's advertised as rated to actually charge a nintendo switch or laptop should do it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They've been restocked a couple of times since launch here in Korea, but they always sell out within a few hours of the restock notice going up

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is there a difference between the R6 raws and R5 raws? On my MBP (running 11.3) I can read .cr3 raws from an R5 and from an EOS R in Preview and LR Classic

This is the version info I get for LR, adobe CC, and preview:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need the EF adapter, so when you use it the setup would be camera -> RF/EF adapter -> EF 2x extender -> EF 70-200. I've use this combo a bunch with both an R and an R5, it works well.

The RF extenders won't fit into EF lenses or into the canon RF/EF adapter (so camera -> RF 2x -> RF/EF adapter -> EF lens doesn't work). There is some stuff online about using 3rd party RF/EF adapters and modifying them (grinding down/filing away some of the inner material) to make the RF extender fit if you are interested in trying that kind of thing.