Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

The OP has nothing about the TS-E lenses. I might make some words and sentences about it if I have time.

Also, I'm thinking of selling my 17-40/4L and getting that Sigma 35/1.4. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have something else filling the UWA role or just don't need one?

I'm contemplating selling my 17-40/4L as well since I find myself shooting around 24mm anyway, and I could just as well use my 24-70 for that and probably get better results.

edit: Or a 24mm TS-E II :getin:

I heard the 24-70 is crappy at the wide end, so get that TS-E 24II.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dumb question do the TS-E lenses have auto-aperture? A lot of T/S lenses don't, which might reduce its usability for non-technical photography.

Yeah they function just like any other EF lens, with the exception being that it's always in manual-focus mode. That said, you really wouldn't want to carry around such a slow, large, heavy and delicate lens for anything other than technical photography.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Going to Europe for 3 weeks. Going to rent a 24-105mm Canon L series for 200 bucks for a month. Any reason not to do that and just buy the thing refurbished from BH or somebody for 899?

I obviously have a t3i. I can pretty much rent whatever, or I could just stick with my kit 18-55 and my 55-250mm efs zoom and just relax about my lenses.

Don't make the mistake I always do by bringing a huge-rear end lens that makes my camera such a pain to carry that I never end up taking it with me. 24mm isn't going to be wide enough for the narrow city streets, 17mm would be a good minimum. I think your best bet would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for the extra stop and zoom range. Pack your 55-250 as well and you can always leave one at the hotel depending on where you're going that day.

Alternatively, get the TS-E 24/3.5LII. It's the perfect travel lens for anyone going to Europe, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any city.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

demonachizer posted:

I have heard you say such nice things about this lens that I finally bit the bullet and ordered it today. I am traveling to Paris next month so I hope that it will be a good walk around lens.

You're going to love it! Just make sure you bring an external flash. It always casts a shadow when I use it with my Rebel T2.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

demonachizer posted:

Same thing with an XT? I don't have an external flash. :( I just blew my budget on the lens.

Just do light painting with your phone.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

casa de mi padre posted:

I bought Canon poo poo because I once owned a Canon printer. I wonder how much of Canon's market share is made up of people as lazy as me.

If anything, owning a Canon printer would make me less likely to buy other Canon products.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

dakana posted:

I went Canon because the D40 sucked and the Rebel XT didn't, comparatively.

My dad really pushed me to get Nikon, since that's what he used throughout his photo career. I was looking for a film SLR to use for the photography class I had signed up for and basically wanted the excuse to get a new gadget, and Nikon's offerings in the $100-$250 price range just weren't very appetizing, especially compared to the Rebel T2. I ended up stretching my budget to get it, so I had to get a Ritz Camera special Quantaray kit lens to go with it.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Seriously though "whichever feels/control better in your hands" should be like 99% of your criteria when picking a brand.

Got my 5DIII/70-200 today. Came with a center-pinch cap :smug:

Make sure to list "center-pinch cap" in your exif data.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Promaster UV Filters > Center-Pinch Lens Caps > Side Pinch Lens Caps

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ah gotcha. I am thinking I will probably buy the kit .. unless I can get the body only for a bit less and be better off buying the 24-105 as a separate.

Also, concerning the UPNP issue with Canon software .. UPNP itself is a horrible horrible thing, so it doesn't surprise me it screwed up so badly. UPNP, to put it in plain words .. is total garbage.

Yeah, my plan for my next camera is a 5Dmk3 with a Raspberry Pi built into the grip to use for wifi tethering instead of the Canon gizmo.

Combat Pretzel posted:

A drat shame about their tilt shift, because the Samyang 24mm/1.4 is pretty drat good.

Now what I'd like to see is the Samyang compared to the original Canon TS-E 24 as it has been know to be vastly inferior to the new version. I wonder which one is better.

I'm very disappointed though as the market could really use some affordable wide-angle TS options. I still would've chosen the Samyang over the 17-40L I had been using when I first got started with architecture.

I just sold my 10-22 and now I'm considering selling the 17-40 as well and replacing it with either the Samyang 35/1.4 or Sigma 35/1.4 and having all primes.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Both 35mm lenses you mention are really good. The Sigma in particular really sticks it to the 35mm L but if you don't absolutely need autofocus then saving some $$ going with the Samyang won't disappoint either.

As much as I love the feel of the Rokiyang, I think I'd regret not having autofocus at that focal length since it would be replacing my walkaround lens (17-40L). Once I sell the 17-40 my lens kit, other than weird or adapted stuff I never use, will be:
  • TS-E 17/4L
  • TS-E 24/3.5LII
  • EF 50/1.4
  • EF 85/1.8
Looking at it that way, it almost makes me wonder if I should also get rid of the 50, buy a 35, then also get something like the 100/2.8L IS Macro. I rarely ever shoot anything longer than 85, but it would be nice to have the option.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Maybe I'm just an ignorant noob, but 3.5 doesn't seem particularly fast and isn't that the whole point of primes?

Another point of primes, which happens to be the most important to me, is that primes are less complicated and easier to make free of distortions, aberrations, and maximize sharpness.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

e. But seriously it's one of the sharpest 35mm's you can buy, can be found for very cheap (under 100 bucks), and the m42 version adapts to canon very easily, even on FF. If you aren't planning on shooting at 35mm a lot, or if you're not worried about needing to shoot at f/1.4, it's an amazing deal for the quality. The same exact lens design is used in the 75/4.5 medium format lens for the pentax 6x7 system, and for good reason!

It's around $60 on KEH so I might as well try it out. Do you have any thoughts on replacing the Canon 50/1.4 with the SMC Takumar 50/1.4? That could be a nice way to ditch the questionable build quality of the Canon while getting some cash back.

Edit: $60 for the non-SMC. $90 for the SMC. Still gonna grab it.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm not sure it's as sharp as the newer canon, but I've dropped my k mount 50/1.4 (pretty sure it's the same glass) several times (even onto concrete!) and it still works perfectly. Probably has more CA issues than the newer canon lens though.

My 50 and 35 are both multicoated though (and the 75/4.5) so I dunno how big of a difference that makes compared to the non-smc ones.

:getin:

wish my phones camera had a not lovely lens though

I'd rather spend more than deal with CA issues.

Well now you've sent me down a rabbit hole. Looking at Contax Zeiss options, then remembering wanting to convert an FD 35/2.8 TS to EF mount, then thinking about finding a 35 or 40mm medium format lens and getting a shift adapter, then thinking about just getting the 1.4x teleconverter for my TS-E 24...

Anyways, when looking for shift adapters for canon I found this diamond of a thread on Model Mayhem where some dude insists that everyone is wrong and that there's no reason you can't make a $5 shift adapter for canon lenses on canon bodies. People keep trying to explain it to him and offer other options but he just can't comprehend.

quote:

I need a shift adapter for a 5D Canon that won't break the bank. Does anyone know who makes one? I want to use some of my other lenses with a shift adapter to take some catalog shots. I know I may loose AF but if anyone knows of one, please let me know!
TS back elements are 3-4 times smaller then normal lenses. The normal lenses are bigger... if that is the case why can they make an adapter for a Mamiya and not a canon? Or the other companies make them for $2000 with a belows?
This is for converting Mamiya lenses to Canon... I need canon to canon.
I mean these things are soooooooooo cheap to make. You can sell them for $100 and have people use their regular "L" series lenses instead of buying a TS lens from canon which run around $1,000. Here is a freaking business starter for someone! I need it bad.
you don't even need wiring! Make it like an Extention tube! You don't even need any optics! All canon's TS are manual anyway. And if you make it please give me some commision for coming up with the idea. pretty pretty pretty please
Need CANON to CANON
Not true. I have a TS 24 lense. Which works great for my 1.6x sensors, but when I go full frame it distorts the heck out of it. The back of the TS lense is way smaller then a normal back of a canon lense. It is smaller for that reason for the shift.
So why do lense baby's work? And take a look at the TS already. They work perfect. And they are pulled away from the sensor just like an extention tube. what I'm saying is perfect sense!
Does anyone have experience with TS lenses here?
Look they have them already, so I know they work... But they use bellows lenses and rails and crap like that. But the average cost of those types of mechinisms are upwards of $2,000. That's rediculous. If someone were to make one like the picture above, you can sell it for $100. or $200.

The lack of comprehension just keeps going and going - http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=372572

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

There's also a Leica/Schneider PA-CURTAGON-R 35mm F4 that shifts but I can't really find anything in the way of reviews.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

^Which version was your PC-Nikkor? Silver knob or black knob?

Yep, I think I'm going to go with the newer, black-knob version of the PC-Nikkor 35/2.8. It's got 11mm of shift and goes to f32 for under $400.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Well under $400. I got mine for $220 and sold it to pseudonordic for the same amount, I think.

edit: it was the black knob version.

Can you ask for it back and I'll give you $300 for it? Beards & Hats wants $400 for the black knob version

Edit: Found a couple cheaper at Adorama.

Mr. Despair posted:

There's a bunch of em on keh right now (although I'm not sure if it's the exact model you're looking for though).

That's where I first looked, and the prices are tempting, but they're all the older silver knob version which has a different optical design (8 elements vs 7 in the newer version).

fivre posted:

Buy a Leica M Monokrom

I've never been tempted by the Leica bug. I'd be all for a monochrome Canon or MF back. I've been wanting to shoot black and white again but it feels so dirty throwing away 1/3rd of the resolution on an RGB sensor.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 19, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

I have the 35 F/2.8 Nikkor-PC shift and have used it a few times on my 5D3. It's awesome once you stop it down. Got it from MrBlandAverage!

Edit: confirming black knob.

It's getting hot in here with all this talk about black knobs.

So what do you mean in terms of stopping down? Is it good around 5.6-11?

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Thanks a whole lot, guys. Just ordered a 35/3.5 and adapter. Of course this is a test step to see if I like the focal length enough to get the sigma.

For a moment I thought you were referring to the PC-Nikkor and refreshed the Adorama used page in a panic.

@psuedonoraidakic - Thanks! Those shots look great.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

I finally caved and upgraded to the 24mm TS-E II (used, but mint from eBay). Tilt and shift on the same axis is going to be sweeeeet... not to mention the improved optics. Not so enthusiastic about the 82mm filter ring, though. I haven't been able to see how it will impact my Cokin P setup yet - I need to buy a 82mm adapter ring. I still have the first-gen 24mm TS-E for a few days until I sell it to a friend - Does anyone want/care for some kind of specific comparison shots before I sell the first gen lens?

Did you ever get around to doing a comparison?