Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww man I'm gonna need a bigger jar to throw all my change in to buy that. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Buy it used on CL and sell it after your trip. hang onto it forever because you decided you can't live without it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yup, this. 18 is the bare minimum I would consider for max wideness in Europe.

DigitalRev recently did a nice illustration of choosing poorly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFwCA5tCFY&t=450s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Printer chat: we bought a pixma printer a few months ago to replace a dying i6000d.

I hated the old printer with a passion, but the new one is pretty darn badass. It just works where the old one constantly required babysitting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Strolling tourist areas with my DSLR around my neck gets me lots of those "hey can you take our picture" requests. I guess, even though I have one of the shittiest cameras in Canon's lineup, that carrying around a big camera means I'm trustworthy and/or good at taking pictures?

At any rate, I have a lot more problems with the random P&S deals that people hand over than anything else. It seems like every single camera has a completely different interface method and it takes me a moment to get comfortable enough to take a shot. I guess that's the nice thing about DSLR's.. even though each brand has its own take on the theme, they're all similar enough that you can figure out where the important stuff is in just a few seconds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I always look for another DSLR (is that D.S.L.R. or "dizzler"?) user to take my picture. Seem to get slightly better results that way.

You mean you don't lug a remote trigger and tripod with you everywhere you go?

Poser. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The T1i allows back-button focus, right?

Yep!

All the options are described in the appendices in the manual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

haha it's so true. Even Japanese software companies have difficulty producing functional software.

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:

I could probably count the number of organizations that consistently produce quality software on one hand. And even the ones I could name have had crippling bugs on a few occasions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn dude, you should rewind a little bit and read what you're typing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had my SD card go corrupt on my Raspberry Pi several times.. apparently due to the way SD cards write their data if they lose power midway through a write there's an elevated risk of the whole filesystem going bad.

Before I learned this I had a habit of yanking the power on my RPI to reboot it. :science:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

feigning interest posted:

How much to just paint the red rings on the L lenses? pm me tia

Just get a red rubber band, then you can swap it onto a new lens instead of wasting valuable money on all that paint.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

Does anyone here actually purchase broken lenses? If so, what the hell do you do with them and why do you pay so much?

I'd guess they part them out and try to assemble a complete lens from a bunch of broken ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're held together with screws and retaining rings just like any other lens.

I have no illusions that the resulting product would be a good one, but there's a non-zero chance there's someone out there with enough knowhow to get something working.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

OF COURSE RIGHT AFTER I BUY MY CAMERA THEY DO THIS CANON I SWEAR I HATE YOU. :bang::bang::bang:

It's the law of internet deals, before anything can go on sale a goon has to buy it at full price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

Get the 55-250 I just linked to. It's basically half price for a very capable telephoto.

That you'll outgrow in about a year if you shoot any kind of action.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really liked the push-pull once I got used to it. If you know you won't be adjusting the focal length you can crank down on the tension ring and the lens stays put. If you're changing distances constantly, you can freewheel it. If you want just a little tension, you can do that too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

joelcamefalling posted:

I wish someone had been this harsh with me. Then I probably wouldn't have spent $1300 on a 150-500 that has had a total usage of...three weeks in Africa, then to the zoo one time.

In three years.

Just sell it then, you'll probably get most of that back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or they hired a shipping manager who used to work at a computer manufacturer. Doesn't matter which one, they all do the same dumb poo poo with packaging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon is pretty much that Kenny Rodgers song, except none of us figured out when to fold.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sildargod posted:

There is an ad floating around the various classifieds here for a Canon Xs with kit lens and bag for $500. How do I respond?

Kit lens? You gotta buy it, so you can post in the kit lens thread. $500 is cheap for that kind of privilege.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeehaw, I'm gonna go film me a movie at 250mm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hardware companies requiring registration for their software is just dumb in general.

Who the gently caress is going to steal Canon software? People with counterfeit Canon gear?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

Ugh. I was strongly considering the 70-300 as a tax return purchase next spring.

I was planning on getting one for Christmas. :smith:

Why the hell would the price increase as a product ages? I've never seen that happen anywhere else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mdtyson posted:

Awesome thanks y'all. Randomly got paranoid that I was loving up the motors on my lenses. So what's the point of having an AF / MF slider on the lens?

It means the camera won't try to refocus when you half-press the shutter.

It also disengages the focus mechanism, so you don't have to fight the resistance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Surely it isn't as if this is a manufacturer-specific thread...?!?

Just ignore him if it bugs you, he treats the entire forum like it's some kind of Pentax holy ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't any experienced photographer know anyways? The vanilla paint and red ring really only call out to the initiates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The things they're saying aren't totally wrong, actual counterfeits that get passed off as Canon products are going to be extremely dubious by nature. These kinds of counterfeits cut corners to push manufacturing cost as low as possible, to the point that safety features any "legit" battery contains will be missing.

However, the argument breaks down when you start to look at third party batteries. You know, the ones we all actually use.. not made by Canon, not sold as if they were made by Canon, just a good quality battery made by some other company that doesn't include Canon's dumb markup.

Canon considers these counterfeits as well, even if they're not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lens is the biggest factor in panning cars. I've had good results from a T1i with a great lens, and lovely results on a T1i with a poo poo lens.

That's not to say that higher FPS or better focusing isn't a good thing to seek, but like most things with photography you first need good glass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

emotive posted:

I've been borrowing a 70-200 f4 when I go to the track but it's the non-IS version so that's pretty tough to pan with at 200mm. I'll be buying the F4 IS before I step up to a new body, I'm just trying to weigh my options.

I don't know what track events you go to, but if they're FIA sanctioned type events, you're going to outgrow 200mm really quickly because most spots you get to shoot from are going to have a ton of runoff areas in between you and the cars. In the long run I think you'll find that 400mm is the gold standard.

You should still buy a 70-200 though because it's a super lens. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went to a MotoGP race with a guy that brought a 70-200 and 2x extender.. he tried to use it for about 30 minutes and then put it away for the whole weekend. It made everything too slow to get any kind of results.

To date my favorite lens as a race photographing hobbyist has been the 300mm F4. It was just a joy to use, everything that came out of it seemed perfect. A longer prime with a bigger aperture would probably be even more fun but there are limits to what I can afford. :v:

The 100-400 push pull came in a close second, for the same reasons anyone uses a zoom lens over a prime.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even a professional can gently caress it up, I've had a friend get a free body upgrade because the shop he gave his camera to hosed it up to the point the repair bill was bigger than the worth of the camera.

So yeah, be careful. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

That sounds like a plus to me.

Not if you gently caress up your own sensor. If someone else does, yep, great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The specs are probably legit because the word "innovative" made it in there.

Corporations love that word almost as much as they do money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

EF-S 10-22mm for $442 :stare:

Yep, bought. Price is pretty ridiculous.

(don't ask why I didn't have one already, because the story is stupid)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

feigning interest posted:

Just in case anyone glossed over this: Canon and Nikon are actively making your third party batteries nonfunctional in some of their bodies. My wallet is furiously shaking its fist :argh:

Maybe. There's some evidence that it's a communication error with circuity in some 3rd party batteries that aren't fully compliant with the protocol. When the battery maker fixed the chip in their battery, the problems went away.

It's reasonable to fault Canon for not issuing a new firmware to fix compatibility with the wayward batteries but at the rate they release firmware it doesn't surprise me too much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SanDisk has the best warranty by far, so buy their stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one downside to keep in mind on that lens is you can't put filters on the front.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alternative power is useful if you're going to be away from the grid for any period.

In my case a dc-to-ac converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter has always been sufficient as I always have a vehicle available, but that may not work for everyone.

If you hunt around you can also get Canon battery chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter directly, just in case the dc-ac-dc conversion offends your inner nerd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solar chargers are a thing these days for backpackers, mostly geared for smartphones. I don't know what kind of juice a Canon battery needs to get charged but if it's comparable to what a smartphone needs they might work for you if you could get all the adapters sorted out.

http://www.rei.com/category/40004198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope the lens doesn't become impossible to find over the next few months while I scrape together my pennies.